shape
carat
color
clarity

is there any Jewelry which you regret?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
hi!! all
I know everybody loves Jewelry and many member has lot of Jewelry
however
is there any Jewelry pieces which you feel that you should have not bought?

I have 2 so far... I never wear and even I don''t want to see because make me regret the $
wish I had the money to spend on another ring now
39.gif

but I was so caryzy with those ring BEFORE I buy...
30.gif
30.gif

but after I bought them
40.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not so much that I shouldn''t have bought but probably should have rethought before having made. Im fighting with my insanity over my eternity band and my stupid psychosis about ruining it. So far I have had it on since 9am with no issues but it''s hard not checking it constantly.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Years ago, there was a really expensive gold necklace on QVC. It looked great on the model! The design of it was supposed to be "the lastest look from Milan". Not only have I never seen anyone wearing anything remotely like it, but it also does not look nice on me. I should have sent it back, but it was the most expensive jewelry piece that I had ever bought myself. I felt like I should just keep it and try to wear it.

I was suckered. Big time. I''ve only worn it 2 or 3 times in the past 7 years.
38.gif
And I had also bought the matching ring that went with it (but I wore the ring more often).

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Great topic flower!

The pieces I regret at times are my Fay Cullen 1950s ring guard & 1ct solitaire. Could be because they''re too out of the current styles ?! Or the shrinkage monster got to me? I was thrilled w/ the solitaire at first and wore it everywhere.

Then, I loved the ring guard when I found it on the FC site and had it sent to Ca. I was in Paris at the time and when I met the package in CA a few months later I still liked it in person. It was perfect fit with the e-ring.

However on some level I was already on to wanting a larger center diamond in an entirely different style of ring. ((infected by PS halo mania!))

Thinking back, besides the retro style part of the guard''s appeal was adding some finger coverage(maybe because I realized I''m not crazy about the classic Tiffany style?...At this point I see them more as stone holders, until you decide what to do with the diamond LOL!).

Sometimes I put the set away for my kids(they are only 2 and one in utero..but maybe the style will be IN again when they''re marriage age)..

Also, I think I''d like wearing it more if I were thinner. It feels too delicate & dainty for me right now. Other times I consider simply having it taken apart and made into something else.

Still not sure but I have lots of time to choose since all jewelry projects are on hold indefinitely for me. Which, as I''ve said elsewhere, is probably for the best because i''m so horribly fickle!

*** I''m remembering 10 +years ago I had another regret about some earrings(1ct studs) and a pendant(.50ct) I''d begged for as a teenager. I sold them and used part of the money to buy an Airedale Terrier dog and a Devon Rex cat.

9.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t really have any regrets of things I bought for myself. Unless you count some inexpensive rings that I bought on QVC and HSN years ago. I don''t wear them anymore, and I put them away for my daughter to have when she''s a little older.

I don''t know if this counts, but there are a few things I''ve been given as gifts over the years that I don''t really like. One is a sapphire ring that my husband bought me for our anniversary when we were first married. I just don''t like it, but I do wear in occasionally just so that he won''t feel bad. I''m hoping one day that he forgets that he ever bought it for me, and I can put it away and never wear it again.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I''ve traded in most things that I didn''t like.

I had a diamond/sapphire ring that I should never have bought. It was "almost" what I wanted but the sapphires were too dark. I told myself that it was okay but I never loved the ring the way I should have. I finally had the diamonds taken out of it and put into my little 12-stone anniversary band. The diamonds were nice and I feel like I made something good out of a mistake.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have given away most of my regrets--just because I couldn''t enjoy them didn''t mean others wouldn''t

But my biggest regret is resetting a ruby and diamond ring my father gave me for my 16 BD--the pendant remake was hideous and is never worn and now sits in my safe...but I should rermake it again into something wearable as it still has sentimental value

cheers--Sharon

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Yes I have multiple diamond pendent necklaces, a small tear drop, a circle, a heart, a cross, a horseshoe, and a solitare. The only one I ever wear is the cross, the others are lovely but just dont suit me. Now I wish that either I had not bought them or that I had told the person who gave them to me a thanks but no thanks. I really only wear two necklaces a locket my SO gave me and my tiffany cross, if I dont have one of those one I am wearing pearls. I am consistent I dont really switch things up that much. I am wanting a larger solitaire necklace but I am torn beucase I am not sure I would ever wear it.
33.gif

nutty

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I regret my 1.77ct radiant ring that I have right now. *sigh* I wish I had stuck with an antique style with an old cut diamond.
8.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2005 4:09:00 PM
Author: Matatora
Yes I have multiple diamond pendent necklaces, a small tear drop, a circle, a heart, a cross, a horseshoe, and a solitare. The only one I ever wear is the cross, the others are lovely but just dont suit me. Now I wish that either I had not bought them or that I had told the person who gave them to me a thanks but no thanks. I really only wear two necklaces a locket my SO gave me and my tiffany cross, if I dont have one of those one I am wearing pearls. I am consistent I dont really switch things up that much. I am wanting a larger solitaire necklace but I am torn beucase I am not sure I would ever wear it.
33.gif
HI M:

You know what I did with my multiple diamond unworn pendants? Most of them were w/g sp I bought a, open link bracelet and put them on as charms. Looks fab and "charm bracelets" are in style right now.... But maybe charm bracelets are not your thing......

cheers--Sharon

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
There is one item I wish I could have the money back for to use on something else. Before getting my ering upgrade, I had a 6+ ct princess eternity band in platinum, with .33 E-F, VS1 stones (what a waste!). After getting my RB ering & matching band, I never wore it so I recycled it into a bangle, which is very pretty but those stones were very expensive and overall, it was a waste.
40.gif

bangle.compare1.jpg

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Matatora- I was totally thinking how great those pendants would be as a charm bracelet even before I saw canuk gal''s post. Something to think about!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
18.gif
He he I have several charm bracelets...I
30.gif
James Avery. But we have always had them be of emtional things...learning to swim, to fly, drive...Plus my So doesnt like to see me in jewlery from past boyfriends that we still see.Cant say as I blame him I would have a coniption fit if he wore something from another girl. But I think that is a great idea! I am hoping for a charm braclet from my SO when he asks me to marry him....I have 6 so far and the last one is getting full. Maybe I will post them sometime...if I did ya''ll would know my entire life story.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Matatora,
You have to post them!! I love charm bracelets.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I have a fugly sapphire and diamond band. Ugh- what was I thinking
20.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
There are very few regrets but the ones that I did have I gave away. Funny thing is that I regretted giving them away after it was already over with. Odd, I know
40.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
A person can''t be a jewelry nut as many years as I have and not have made mistakes!
20.gif

In general, I''d say most of my mistakes are the result of my thinking I''ve found a "bargain"....a real steal. "You usually get what you pay for" is oh so true... And in retrospect, I wonder if sometimes I wasn''t more in love with the price than I was with the item itself!
14.gif

Actually, I just posted one of my boo boos in the colored stone forum....a pawn shop star sapphire, represented to me as genuine, which much later proved to be synthetic..

widget

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought a tanzanite in the Bahamas, it is a gorgeous color, cushiopn cut, 3.75 carats. It is in a fugly dated setting. I took it to the jeweler. It has a tiny nick in it, they are very fragile...so I am no setting it in a pave halo to protect it and modernize it...I LOVE CHARM BRACELYETS. I love vintage ones, love thinking about the girl who had it and what each charm meant. I know this is a thread for regrets, but I had to say I love my Roberto Coin woven mesh bangles...they are elegant and versatile and comfortable, do not dent if banged...they are just great. I have white and yellow gold and want to order them in rose gold, which I love. I also have bought stuff and if I do not like it I recylce it, so it gets out of the box once in while!

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
wow!!!
1.gif
I am not the pnly person!

ame! I am same
2.gif

Buena Girl. least you worn it 2 or 3 times in the past 7 years. about my flower ring which one of BIG regret ring
I haven''t worn it ....yet and maybe will not
39.gif

kaylagee. I love your eternity ring
30.gif

>Sometimes I put the set away for my kids.
that''s I am thinking too but I have 4 dougther and all don''t want to **MOM''s regret ring**
6.gif

sjz! I know the feeling > I just don''t like it, but I do wear in occasionally just so that he won''t feel bad
90% of what DH gave me I don''t like ...but never tell him however I keep telling hint what I love
but never work the way...
6.gif

patty that''s good idea, I will do the 2 big regret ringin the future
what''s my problem is I kept telling to all of my family that how I love the ring etc before buy
so I have to wait untill everybody foget that I told them that I loved the ring...
3.gif

canuk-gal lucky how got them!

Matatora!!!!!! oh!
2.gif
2.gif
**Yes I have multiple diamond pendent necklaces, a small tear drop, a circle, a heart, a cross, a horseshoe, and a solitare. The only one I ever wear is the cross*
you are my hero!!!

nutty
1.gif
1.77 sounds beautiful to me
30.gif

Jennifer
1.gif
you have couple very beautiful recycled ring too right?
I love your flower ring, the bangle is beautiful but must be cost lot to recycled? I had recycled to eternity ring
from another ring which F VS2 but it was cost about $1900, and gave way to my sister.
then I found abou signed pieces and signed pieces''s eternity is not expensive!!!! I should have keep the ring and
just buy eternity from signed pieces then gave to my sister....

sevens one >Ugh- what was I thinking
20.gif

you are funny!!!!
Diamonds4Me! oh how you are nice and lucky people who got those[$$)]

widget .I thought so "You usually get what you pay for" is oh so true..
but after I found PS form.... I got little bit smart.. Brand name extra$$$$
I feel sick what I spend...
20.gif

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/22/2005 11:37:28 PM
Author: diamondfan
I bought a tanzanite in the Bahamas, it is a gorgeous color, cushiopn cut, 3.75 carats. It is in a fugly dated setting. I took it to the jeweler. It has a tiny nick in it, they are very fragile...so I am no setting it in a pave halo to protect it and modernize it...I LOVE CHARM BRACELYETS. I love vintage ones, love thinking about the girl who had it and what each charm meant. I know this is a thread for regrets, but I had to say I love my Roberto Coin woven mesh bangles...they are elegant and versatile and comfortable, do not dent if banged...they are just great. I have white and yellow gold and want to order them in rose gold, which I love. I also have bought stuff and if I do not like it I recylce it, so it gets out of the box once in while!
sound very beautiful !!!!!
I guess I my regret ring is each pieces of diamond is too small to recycle I guess..
now I am thinking to how I can recycle it....????

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have a good jeweler, they can tell you what some good ideas are. I am so excited now waiting for this tanzanite halo. I also reset an eternity band so I can wear it with Hidalgo stack rings in all differnet colors!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i regret buying my 1ctw ebay 10 stone ring because i rarely wear it, it''s just too insignificant on my finger...but it was something like $250 so it''s not like i can really ''regret'' it....it''s a fun ring so it''s what it was worth i guess. but i have already worn my circle pendant as many times in 2 weeks as i have worn the 10 stone in 1.5 years.
20.gif

also i have a diamond horseshoe pendant which i never wear, it was such a fad, i''m going to give it to my 22 year old sister so she can have some real diamonds to wear for fun.

i tend to like alot of things but i try to sit on it for a long while to see how badly i really want it. i try not to impulse purchase on jewelry because it can be a costly impulse....

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/23/2005 1:08:10 AM
Author: Mara
i regret buying my 1ctw ebay 10 stone ring because i rarely wear it, it''s just too insignificant on my finger...but it was something like $250 so it''s not like i can really ''regret'' it....it''s a fun ring so it''s what it was worth i guess. but i have already worn my circle pendant as many times in 2 weeks as i have worn the 10 stone in 1.5 years.
20.gif

also i have a diamond horseshoe pendant which i never wear, it was such a fad, i''m going to give it to my 22 year old sister so she can have some real diamonds to wear for fun.

i tend to like alot of things but i try to sit on it for a long while to see how badly i really want it. i try not to impulse purchase on jewelry because it can be a costly impulse....
Mara
you mean the eternity which you had post the picture in PS ?I thought that''s so good to buy
30.gif

I love your circle pendant and thinking to get for all of my dougther and myself!!
it''s looks really sparkle ,nowdays I really don''t care so much about grade,
I only care if it''s sparkle or not

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2005 1:08:10 AM
. i try not to impulse purchase on jewelry because it can be a costly impulse....
This is the reason I don''t have any jewelry regrets. I never purchase w/out thinking for a LONG time about whether or not I truley want the item.

Most of my shopping regrets are smaller items, like shirts/sweaters/shoes that have never been worn because I impulsively purchased and didn''t think twice about blowing a few hundred on a small shopping trip. The cost of all the stuff I never wear has really added up - probably could have picked out a nice RHR w/the money I''ve blown over the last few years.

Jennifer - I love your bracelet and the diamonds in it are gorgeous. It''s worth having some quality stones that you can switch around to new pieces every few years!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree Michelle, if I wasn''t so impulsive with other purchases, I would have been able to get a whole other ring set like the ones I have now! In the past, I was very impulsive with things like clothes and I had tons in the closet that I never wore. Now I have finally wised up in the last few years and only bought things I wear all the time and/or think about things for a week or two before I buy them. Then if I am still thinking about it, I will get it.

Except now I am obsessed with furnishing our house, so clothes and other things fall by the wayside in the midst of this obsession!
31.gif
I definitely go in waves. But I am still employing the less-impulsive thing with the house stuff, to a level, because I can''t think about it TOO much or else I won''t ever buy anything. This is why our house still needs alot of work in terms of home decor because I am very indecisive!

But I did just buy a few hundred in summer clothes on shopbop.com for our trip to Florida at end of August...MUST HAVES of course.
9.gif
It helps that 1/3 of the stuff was on sale.
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Except now I am obsessed with furnishing our house, so clothes and other things fall by the wayside in the midst of this obsession!
31.gif
I definitely go in waves. But I am still employing the less-impulsive thing with the house stuff, to a level, because I can''t think about it TOO much or else I won''t ever buy anything. This is why our house still needs alot of work in terms of home decor because I am very indecisive!

But I did just buy a few hundred in summer clothes on shopbop.com for our trip to Florida at end of August...MUST HAVES of course.
9.gif
It helps that 1/3 of the stuff was on sale.
2.gif
I''m in house decorating mode too. It''s a fun yet cost prohibitive venture filling up a new home. My husband and I have had to pick and choose which items we truely need now and which things can wait. Also - the PITA part is trying to find items BOTH of us like - we''ve even bickered over $11.99 baskets at Cost Plus
20.gif
! We''ve tested our compromise level to the extreme these last few weeks
6.gif
- lol
9.gif

Hope you have a great time on your trip. Where in FL are you headed off to?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we''re going to Fort Meyers Beach/Santabelle Island for Greg''s step-grandfather''s 80th bday bash...it''s a big family affair. Should be a fun short getaway!

re: house decorating, I do most of it on my own and only consult Greg for the bigger items, he doesn''t care anyway and likes whatever I get 99.9% of the time!

I went up to SF with a friend yesterday to this design studio that does staging of homes and they are selling alot of their furniture and goodies, got some AMAZING deals on 4 pieces of art (2 for the kitchen and 2 for our downstairs stairway entry to the main entry) and possibly a leather storage ottoman for the foot of our master bed, it comes back from a staged house next week. My girlfriend just moved into her newly purchased townhouse last week and she was in decorating mode so she bought a whole bedroom set (bed, 2 nightstands, dresser) a micro-suede couch, chair and a half and ottoman, a lamp and a few other goodies for about $3k. And this stuff is pretty nice too, like high Crate and Barrel kind of quality. I wish I needed more things, the bedroom sets were very nice, dark espresso which I love. Maybe if I redo the guest room.

She has sales every few weeks when the houses are done selling so we are going to keep our eye out. We want to get a chair and a half and ottoman for our downstairs living room; a huge entertainment center/armoire set (C&B has one I like); and last but definitely not LEAST a whole new dining set and buffet of some sort, problem is that our dining room here is somewhat small, about 10x10 and if we are going to invest in a dining set that we want long-term, I want it to seat 12. But I don''t know how we''d ever seat 12 here in this dining room. So I may settle for 10. But then what about when we move at some point ~5 years and have the room for 12? I don''t want to spend $4k on a dining set and have it come up ''short''. So that''s my current trauma.
9.gif

day_lily_me

Rough_Rock
I know I''ve bought jewelry pieces over the years that when I look at them now, I wonder what was I thinking!!!! I noticed that some of you said that you regretted pieces that you bought on QVC or HSN. I''ve never bought any jewelry from those home shopping networks but have been tempted. Are they not well made or you just didn''t like them? Some of their 18kt ''Italian made'' stuff looks really good but I''ve wondered about the quality. I love home decorating too and after about 30 years, I wanted a new dining room suite. Well, if I had gone to the furniture stores and ordered one - just table, chairs, and china cabinet, it would have cost at a minimum of $8k so I decided that since most people don''t use their dining rooms that much, that I would go on a quest for a ''used'' set. It took me 8 months to find something I liked - you have to be flexible and have more than one style in mind - I wanted 18th century or chippendale look - and found a gorgeous one that had a table to seat 12 with the extensions, came with 8 chairs, 2 being arm chairs - the plastic had hardly been removed from the seat cushions although I did have to have those recovered to match my colors - and I even got a china cabinet AND a buffet AND a server for about $3k. It was a real bargain since the couple was getting a divorce and she wanted to sell it fast. They had eaten on the table only ONE time. Showroom condition. You do have to be patient and be willing to spend the time looking and I don''t think you could find as much other furniture like this since most of other room types are used more. But a dining room is something to consider. I learned this from my Mother since she did the same thing when they moved and she wanted a new set.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s SO true daylily...

For me I have a serious problem thinking about forking over $4-6k for a nice dining set that would seat 10 or 12. Thing is, say the table is $1k, that''s great but the chairs end up being what, $300 each? For 10 chairs?

That''s too much of a committment to me really. I don''t know that I want to keep a dining set for 15 years trying to amortize the cost mentally. Who knows were we''ll be in 15 years and what type of furniture we''ll want then. I try to always keep this in mind when I buy.

That is why this design studio that sells these staging items is such a good deal! These pieces are never used, they are just used to help get higher prices for homes. They had a dining table there...and they can also order from their wholesale catalogs. The markup of course is there but it''s much cheaper than retail. So when the time comes for us to really want to get a serious dining set (the one I have right now is nice but it''s light wood maple, seats 8 in a square and we have maple chair with rattan seats, it''s cute but it''s not the long term set at all and doesn''t go well with the rest of the house)...I will definitely see if this company can get us some deals. If I could pay ~$2k instead of $5k, I would be jazzed.

Craigs List around here is huge too, people sell alot of things that are hardly used and I have also seen some other home staging items for sale where they look absolutely pristine. One was a set of leather chairs with ottomans in a sweet deep brownish red italian leather for $800 each, and that is chair and ottoman for $800! I was hard pressed to pass that one up. Also I saw a dining set ala Pottery Barn where the table was $600, retailed at PB for $1000 and the chairs were something like a set of 6 leather chairs from PB for $600 instead of $1000 retail. They had only been used 2ce or something. Pristine in the pictures. So if you can piecemeal or find a table from one person and set of chairs from another, definitely some deals to be had on barely used things.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Not really! That's probably b/c I don't have much LOL
23.gif
I go after a few pieces and that's it for me. I have some stupid little pendants that I don't wear but nothing expensive that it matters....I do wish I knew more about diamonds when I bought my princess wedding band. The stones are "ok"...but I love it anyway.

I too love furnishings. And I get carried away that I neglect myself...that;s why I look like a bag lady ... but wanna see my new drapes? LOL I should wear them like Carol Burnett in that Gone With the Wind spoof she did...Scarlett, you look beautiful! Thank you, I saw it in the window and just couldn't resist.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results