shape
carat
color
clarity

Is skin bleaching just the same as getting a tan?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1403665498|3700562 said:
Most of the Chinese and Vietnamese and Malaysian women I have met will admit to you they do it to look more Western and less Asian. I don't know about Korean women, and I have never been to Korea.

I have had a lot of these women tell me how lucky I am that I am beautiful because I am so white/Western looking. I think they are already beautiful, more so than me so I guess I struggle to understand all the reasons they want to look more Westernised....

I accept lots of people want an eyelift to see better and to get rid of the fold you are talking about, I also agree some women want to look both younger and more childlike - what I am talking about is young women who watch Western TV and aspire to look more like US film stars.

Even this articled you linked me to states that these women aspire to look more like Western celebrities....
Arkieb, I think you are completely missing my point. Where is the article from? The UK.

The article also cites many different reasons why the woman did what she did. Why did she do that? I don't know. I can just guess. I think if she really wanted to look white, she would have died her hair and gotten contacts. Instead she ruined her jaw.

I'm Korean. I am in a interacial marriage. My point was not to get into an argument with you, but to say that you can't generalize about all Asians and not get some push back. If I generalize about a entire race, I expect to get push back too.

You started by saying this:
"It is not just skin lightening with Asian women, there is a growing disturbing trend with a lot of young Asian women these days to have cosmetic surgery (eyes in particular) and other facial features to look less Asian, because they perceive themselves to be more desirable being less Asian looking...."

I am just giving a different point of view. I did not mean to offend you. I don't speak for Euroasians. I speak for myself. I a Korean individual. Just like you, I am allowed to have opinions on Asians, and disagree with people who talk about my race. I fully expect that other Asians will disagree with me.

My kids are Euroasian. They do not get treated as Asian or white. They will have opinions about Asians and whites, from their point of view as Euroasians. I'm sure I'll give them my point of view as someone who is 100% Asian.

When I see someone of European descent who has died their hair black, I never think, they want to look like me. I realize black hair is a trait in Europeans too.

It is just me that feels it's odd to think an entire race of people who want to look like another race? Why would I want to look European? I just don't get it. Are Europeans the only people who think everyone wants to look like them?

Other Asians on here have tried to explain that whiter skin is not a race thing...it's a class thing. There is push back on other fronts that Asians don't want to look like Europeans on skin. Why would we want to look like Europeans on eyes?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1403668102|3700579 said:
arkieb1|1403665498|3700562 said:
Most of the Chinese and Vietnamese and Malaysian women I have met will admit to you they do it to look more Western and less Asian. I don't know about Korean women, and I have never been to Korea.

I have had a lot of these women tell me how lucky I am that I am beautiful because I am so white/Western looking. I think they are already beautiful, more so than me so I guess I struggle to understand all the reasons they want to look more Westernised....

I accept lots of people want an eyelift to see better and to get rid of the fold you are talking about, I also agree some women want to look both younger and more childlike - what I am talking about is young women who watch Western TV and aspire to look more like US film stars.

Even this articled you linked me to states that these women aspire to look more like Western celebrities....
Arkieb, I think you are completely missing my point. Where is the article from? The UK.

The article also cites many different reasons why the woman did what she did. Why did she do that? I don't know. I can just guess. I think if she really wanted to look white, she would have died her hair and gotten contacts. Instead she ruined her jaw.

I'm Korean. I am in a interacial marriage. My point was not to get into an argument with you, but to say that you can't generalize about all Asians and not get some push back. If I generalize about a entire race, I expect to get push back too.

You started by saying this:
"It is not just skin lightening with Asian women, there is a growing disturbing trend with a lot of young Asian women these days to have cosmetic surgery (eyes in particular) and other facial features to look less Asian, because they perceive themselves to be more desirable being less Asian looking...."

I am just giving a different point of view. I did not mean to offend you. I don't speak for Euroasians. I speak for myself. I a Korean individual. Just like you, I am allowed to have opinions on Asians, and disagree with people who talk about my race. I fully expect that other Asians will disagree with me.

My kids are Euroasian. They do not get treated as Asian or white. They will have opinions about Asians and whites, from their point of view as Euroasians. I'm sure I'll give them my point of view as someone who is 100% Asian.

When I see someone of European descent who has died their hair black, I never think, they want to look like me. I realize black hair is a trait in Europeans too.

It is just me that feels it's odd to think an entire race of people who want to look like another race? Why would I want to look European? I just don't get it. Are Europeans the only people who think everyone wants to look like them?

+1

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to lighten up things a little:

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/this-white-guy-got-plastic-surgery-to-look-more-like-a-1584117608

I think this article is a joke, but I can't tell. I guess that's part of _my_ joke.

Dude, I could have assimilated you into Korean culture without the plastic surgery. Learn Korean, appreciate kimchi in every form, and dress sharp with lots of black and white. The most ironic thing to do would have been to dye your hair orange, like the Korean girls who try to die their hair blond. (Are they trying to look white? You decide.) Orange fake-Asian hair on a white dude would have been so ironic.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People within every group vary.
I doubt anyone here thinks every member of any group all want the same thing.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard Korean women are the most advanced beauty culture in the world. Korea invented BB and CC cream. Skin care seems to be very important there. I happen to think Korean women are some of the most beautiful women in the world, along with Brazilian women. Why would they want to look European?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1403673766|3700626 said:
People within every group vary.
I doubt anyone here thinks every member of any group all want the same thing.

I don't think anyone thinks that every single Asian wants to look European. I think there are people who think many people want to look European. I think there is an idea that Asian people who get cosmetic surgery are doing it to specifically look European, and that maybe there are other Asians who don't get plastic surgery who want to look European. This kind of thinking can extend to statements that an entire culture holds European traits desirable:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/25/health/asian-beauty/
This article is written by Dr. Anthony Youn. IHe is Asian. I assume, based on the information that he identifies as Asian. Is he proud of his Asian heritage? Does he know much about Asian culture? Does he identify as American...based on the article, it states he is Asian-American? Not sure of anything really. I can just say he is writing for an American media outlet, and he's definitely made up his mind one way.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
April, thanks for your comment. I think every culture has their beauty area in which they are "advanced".

Korea culture is very into facial beauty (lips, eyes, nose, bone structure, face shape, head size, hair texture, skin clarity/youthfulness, shade of brown for eyes, shade of brown/black hair), in a way that I have not observed in the US or Europe (the other areas in which I spend a lot of time).

In the same light, I would say that Americans are really into body image, especially breasts. Americans seem to have the most advances in the kinds of artificial things they'll put in their chest, how to get them in there, and how to mask it so no one knows it has been done. When I visit southern CA or FL, breast implants are everywhere. The people who have them look happy to show them off.

In the US, people seem to think it is "worse" to alter your eye shape than say your breast size. It's very odd to me. Doing an eyefold can be an outpatient surgery in Korea. Installing breast implants is extremely invasive. They both achieve the same goal of altering one's appearance.

To take a note from Kenny, people vary.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best friend's husband is from China and is combing the thread with us :lol:

He said if I were to go to China my light hair and eyes would be a novelty and people might try to take a picture or two with me. Who knew?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1403711953|3700858 said:
Best friend's husband is from China and is combing the thread with us :lol:

He said if I were to go to China my light hair and eyes would be a novelty and people might try to take a picture or two with me. Who knew?

Hahahaha; its true. I worked in an Asian country that doesn't get a lot of tourism, and one of my white friends went to get a passport photo taken. Passport photos were very cheap, and she ended up with a stack of 50. She worked on education issues at a few local schools, would give them out like candy to little kids that came up to her while she worked. They absolutely loved it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course not every Asian person who has plastic surgery wants to look more European. All I am saying is there is a disturbing trend at the moment for SOME young Asian women to want to look like Western film stars. I have heard comments (from a small number of Chinese ladies for example) who honestly believe they would go further, marry better and so on if they were less Asian looking and more Western looking. I am sure by in large most Asian women are happy with how they look and I am not implying anything specifically other than when a young Asian woman wants to alter her looks to look like say Kim Kardashian then that is kind of sad to me.

I do not profess to know anything about Korean culture other than Koreans have a high rate of plastic surgery. It would probably be fair to assume that a lot of Koreans are therefore not happy with what they are naturally born with, and that a fair percentage of them use plastic surgery to change their looks to a variety of things including a more Westernised face..... I am sure there are people that are Korean and Asian for that matter that have plastic surgery to look like Asian film stars (some of whom have already had plastic surgery to change their appearance), to simply improve their appearance generally as well, but I have a difficult time believing that ALL of them just want to look younger and cuter when it seems to me to achieve this that SOME of them are using Western film stars faces as their inspiration;

http://www.ryot.org/photos-plastic-surgery-is-so-extreme-in-south-korea-that-people-need-new-ids/652457

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/asian-women-are-turning-to-plastic-surgery-to-look-more-caucasian/story-fni0cx12-1226771358000?nk=4bcbef0d5d9836177112c25197261970

http://www.thecultureist.com/2013/10/10/plastic-surgery-in-south-korea/

http://www.asianplasticsurgeryguide.com/overview/politicallyincorrect.html

The last link is probably the most sensible article that suggests these women undergo cosmetic surgery for a complex variety of reasons - to look like Western film stars or to look like Asian film stars that have already undergone cosmetic surgery to look a certain way are part of but not the whole of the answer.... So I agree with you they obviously do this for a wide variety of reasons but I still think that you cannot escape the Western influence underpinning this trend.

I guess I also have a different view to you because I have travelled in China and parts of Asia and I have had pretty well 1 in 3 women say to me, oh you are so lucky you look so white - that has been my own personal experience. In Vietnam I think it was more like every second person who said this. Growing up in a small country town I was teased when I went to school for being part Chinese. So to some white people I look too Asian and to a lot of Asian people I look just the right amount of white, as a child being naturally caught in the middle of both groups rejecting my identity ie white people thinking I am too Asian looking to be white and being teased for being Asian and Chinese people thinking I am too white/western looking to be Chinese was a paradox I struggled with when I was younger.... so now that I am older and wiser it is fascinating to me that people change their appearance to look more like someone who is in the middle of the two.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1403560285|3699449 said:
Light skinned people want to look darker and that's not just socially acceptable, it's widely encouraged.
But I hear a lot of criticism of darker-skinned people lightening their skin.
Why is there more criticism of the later?

I doubt either is healthy for the body, but isn't altering your natural skin tone in either direction the same thing?
Why is one socially acceptable while the other is looked down upon?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27833833

A lot of times skin lightening is related to self hate and perpetuating negative stereotypes.

I am of Caribbean descent and I know of areas where people marry cousins and such to keep the lightness in their family. In our society the light skinned ethnic female is mostly what you see in the media (although it is slowly changing).
Why do you think Lupita Nyongo is such a phenomenon? People talk about how beautiful and talented she is. Is she any more beautiful or talented than Jennifer Lawrence? No, but she stands out more because she is dark skinned.
Slavery perpetuated the idea that White people were better and the darker you were, the more evil, stupid, savage, and backwards you were.
Skin lightening is looked down on because of that. Not everyone is doing it for that reason, but if you are doing it because you think lighter is better (as opposed to more beautiful) then it is wrong.
If the person is doing it strictly for beauty purposes, then there is nothing wrong with it. But that idea of what "beauty" is, is where the pitfalls come. Doing it because you don't like who you are, is never ok.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1403810701|3701603 said:
Light skinned people want to look darker and that's not just socially acceptable, it's widely encouraged.

I doubt either is healthy for the body, but isn't altering your natural skin tone in either direction the same thing?

A lot of times skin lightening is related to self hate and perpetuating negative stereotypes.

I am of Caribbean descent and I know of areas where people marry cousins and such to keep the lightness in their family. In our society the light skinned ethnic female is mostly what you see in the media (although it is slowly changing).
Why do you think Lupita Nyongo is such a phenomenon? People talk about how beautiful and talented she is. Is she any more beautiful or talented than Jennifer Lawrence? No, but she stands out more because she is dark skinned.
Slavery perpetuated the idea that White people were better and the darker you were, the more evil, stupid, savage, and backwards you were.
Skin lightening is looked down on because of that. Not everyone is doing it for that reason, but if you are doing it because you think lighter is better (as opposed to more beautiful) then it is wrong.
If the person is doing it strictly for beauty purposes, then there is nothing wrong with it. But that idea of what "beauty" is, is where the pitfalls come. Doing it because you don't like who you are, is never ok.

Thanks for the perspective.

So you feel it may be okay or wrong depending on the person's reasons.
But it's impossible to read people's minds.
So, where does that leave us?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:

Minding our own business?

Maybe I'm old school, but whatever people want to do to themselves is fine with me.

It's rare to find someone that is 100% happy with their appearance. Besides Kenny and DF, I mean. :bigsmile:

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1403811936|3701615 said:

It is impossible. But many in this thread have said they have heard it from the people themselves why they do it. Telling someone "dont marry a man that is too dark" is deplorable, but a reality.
And I think is a problem companies are selling the "lighter = more beautiful" to consumers. Same as skinny = beautiful. People should be taught to love themselves for how they look.

But then again I feel a similar way about makeup and cosmetic surgery. And I am a man so what do I know.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

She is absolutely one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. Her skin tone is an asset to her beauty.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
moneymeister|1403816166|3701654 said:

She is absolutely one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. Her skin tone is an asset to her beauty.

I totally agree. But there were multiple articles saying, even though she won an Oscar, would she be offered the same roles young (white) actresses are offered? And I think the subtext was that not only is she black, her skin tone is dark, and that is a no go in Hollywood. But I hope she proves them wrong.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
arkieb1, I see what your getting it and I understand that it has a lot to do with your experience.

My opinion has to do with my experience as someone who is Asian. My eyes are lighter brown than most Koreans. I get comments on this features, mostly from people of African, Asian, and Latin descent, who actually discern shades of brown. I never get these comments in the context of looking white. They are in the context of looking like one end of the spectrum of what is already seen in my race. My point is that because of my perspective and who I am, I don't take it as a racial comment.

My sister also has pale, white skin. She gets comments about this from other Asians. She is 100% Asian . There is no racial undertone to the comments she receives because she is not mixed.

This is exactly why I find it absurd to think that Asians want features of white people. I think _most_ Asians who get plastic surgery want features on the extreme of the Asian spectrum.

Yes, I think there are some individuals who may actually dislike looking like their own race.

I think my Euroasian kids are beautiful, but I (and I assume others) don't think they are more beautiful than 100% Korean kids who are beautiful. Instead, I think they get comments that they are beautiful because they also look unique. I think people are struck by the odd combination of their features. What are people to say? Wow, you look so strange! To me, it's the same phenomenon as touching blonde hair in China, or my friend whose son has an Afro...when she goes to Sweden, strangers touch his hair without asking her! I don't think these kind of comments that are mixed with race are just about straight beauty.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1403812562|3701621 said:
It's rare to find someone that is 100% happy with their appearance. Besides Kenny and DF, I mean. :bigsmile:

It wouldn't matter if DF and I were butt-ugly.
We have Octavias. :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1403819644|3701681 said:

Soon, I hope... :appl:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1403822665|3701708 said:

Is that true DF? :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You hope to be butt-ugly soon? :o

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1403823308|3701717 said:

Is that true DF? :appl:

You gotta keep up, Girl! :wink2: :bigsmile:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-rough-for-my-octavia-pics.203024/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-rough-for-my-octavia-pics.203024/[/URL]

justginger

Ideal_Rock
There are always a range of motivations for every action. I have no doubt that some Asian women who get epi fold eye surgery ARE trying to appear more Caucasian - because I have been told by SE Asian women that it would be their motivation for doing it. In those words. Others perhaps do want to appear more youthful, or a perceived 'better' version of their own race. But amongst my Asian coworkers, the conclusion was that it is primarily a method of appearing 'less Asian' (their words).

During her pregnancy, one of my best friends and workmates here (who is Chinese Malay) would STARE at me very fixedly - when I asked her what the heck she was doing, she told me that she thought perhaps if she looked at me enough, her baby would 'come out with blue eyes and blonde hair' because she'd like to have a 'pretty baby that looks white.' :lol: I know she was kidding...sort of. Her family is big into a lot of traditional, almost superstitious, beliefs, so part of me wonders if she was being fairly serious. Regardless, she had a little boy with black hair and brown eyes, and he's just gorgeous. :love:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I think it's the same, a flip side of a coin. White people tan to take the edge off the day-glo white, look thinner, look healthier.
No different than a person with a darker skin tone wishing to tweak what nature gave them and look lighter. I think it's just the nature of man and women to tweak what you can to look better (better being a subjective ideal in this sentence). Always wanted to have honey blond hair and a tan. I'd make a good vampire- white skin, dark hair. No other tweaks look right. When I get blondish streaks, I look like an unnatural skunk.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so...

http://www.asianplasticsurgeryguide.com/beforeafter/eyelidloveband.html

According to this after picture, this appears to be a surgery to GIVE you undereye bags. WHAT. The before picture is like EXACTLY the smooth perfectness I wish my undereye area was. Why would someone want eyebags? WHYYYYYYY

Most plastic surgery procedures I understand the point of (you know, when done well, anyway). But this? Baffles me.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
That is so funny! That baggy look under the eyes is something people surely usually don't want. Just goes to show that a lot of plastic surgery doesn't make sense.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm one of those people who get annoyed when people tell me I don't look "very Asian".
Yes, I'm pale with freckles, but there are lots of Asians I know who are paler, and also have freckles
Yes, I'm tall (only 5'7"), I know lots of Asians who are taller
Yes, I have big round eyes, I know plenty of Asians with bigger rounder eyes than I do.
Yes, believe it or not, Asians come in different heights, colors and eye shapes.....

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1403909042|3702407 said:
I'm one of those people who get annoyed when people tell me I don't look "very Asian".
Yes, I'm pale with freckles, but there are lots of Asians I know who are paler, and also have freckles
Yes, I have big round eyes, I know plenty of Asians with bigger rounder eyes than I do.
Yes, believe it or not, Asians come in different heights, colors and eye shapes.....

+1. Yes. This exactly.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1403709909|3700845 said:
April, thanks for your comment. I think every culture has their beauty area in which they are "advanced".

Korea culture is very into facial beauty (lips, eyes, nose, bone structure, face shape, head size, hair texture, skin clarity/youthfulness, shade of brown for eyes, shade of brown/black hair), in a way that I have not observed in the US or Europe (the other areas in which I spend a lot of time).

In the same light, I would say that Americans are really into body image, especially breasts. Americans seem to have the most advances in the kinds of artificial things they'll put in their chest, how to get them in there, and how to mask it so no one knows it has been done. When I visit southern CA or FL, breast implants are everywhere. The people who have them look happy to show them off.

In the US, people seem to think it is "worse" to alter your eye shape than say your breast size. It's very odd to me. Doing an eyefold can be an outpatient surgery in Korea. Installing breast implants is extremely invasive. They both achieve the same goal of altering one's appearance.

To take a note from Kenny, people vary.

But, again, this is about the motivation/reasoning and not about the procedure itself (breast implants vs. eyefold, etc.). Sure, larger breasts may be more desirable in any given culture, but the reasoning behind it is superficial/vanity. I would suspect that (in some cases) the decision to alter an eyefold has more of a cultural impact (and may be motivated by the desire to alter a physical characteristic that is unique to that particular culture - again, some cases, not all).

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
IndyLady|1403936014|3702649 said:
jaysonsmom|1403909042|3702407 said:

+1. Yes. This exactly.
+2!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results