shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Paula Deen getting what she deserves?

Is Paula Deen getting what she deserves?

• She is being punished too harshly.

Votes: 56 54.9%
  • The punishment is just right.

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • She should be punished more harshly.

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • Other, please explain.

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2|1372434955|3473731 said:
Jesus Christ, this thread is disturbing.

Paula Deen is a racist idiot and deserves what she gets and then some. Her statements are breathtakingly offensive. Why in the world would a company in this day and age stand by her? This is someone who says on national television that her African-American employee is "black as a board", and says "We can’t see you standing in front of that dark board!" http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...fend-slavery-2012-interview-article-1.1379912

And people are defending her? Gee, it's a good thing the Voting Rights Act was struck down, racism is totally over!

When I saw that clip, I was blown away. I don't think it makes her racist, I think she is ignorant that those type of "funny statements" are unacceptable. I do not understand why people that are close to her did not tell her that she needed to think before she spoke. The young man that was party to that comment is supposedly very close to her. That can not be the first time that she has said something so insensitive. Why hasn't anyone brought it to her attention before? If it come up that she has been told that she should not say the things she does, then I would say that she is an arrogant bitch and possibly a racist.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NonieMarie|1372488314|3474160 said:

Paula Deen is a racist idiot and deserves what she gets and then some. Her statements are breathtakingly offensive. Why in the world would a company in this day and age stand by her? This is someone who says on national television that her African-American employee is "black as a board", and says "We can’t see you standing in front of that dark board!" http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...fend-slavery-2012-interview-article-1.1379912

And people are defending her? Gee, it's a good thing the Voting Rights Act was struck down, racism is totally over!

When I saw that clip, I was blown away. I don't think it makes her racist, I think she is ignorant that those type of "funny statements" are unacceptable. I do not understand why people that are close to her did not tell her that she needed to think before she spoke. The young man that was party to that comment is supposedly very close to her. That can not be the first time that she has said something so insensitive. Why hasn't anyone brought it to her attention before? If it come up that she has been told that she should not say the things she does, then I would say that she is an arrogant bitch and possibly a racist.

Here is the video of the interview in that link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMcmt7ulQQo

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Matata|1372451534|3473920 said:
This issue is not just about a racial slur -- it's also about her knowledge that her brother allegedly created a hostile work environment in his restaurant (which is part of her empire) and she did nothing to stop it. She has a carefully crafted public persona of the hapless southern belle but she is shrewd and I believe she is fully aware of her actions and their consequences.

Yes, Yes, Yes, this is the whole point of the lawsuit. The person who filed the suit said she has never heard PD utter the N-word. Her downfall was not removing her obnoxious brother from their restaurant when the original complaint was made. She comes off as an "ol shucks" down home girl but she is a cut throat business woman that doesn't want anyone telling her what to do.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1372490863|3474169 said:
Deposition: (it seems, so sorry, so not an attorney. :rolleyes: )

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/06/entertainment/deen-deposition/

Btw, Kenny, clever of you to conveniently leave out the deposition, the formal complaint, etc.

Huh?
Not sure what you mean by clever and conveniently, or what in the world is going on in your head to come up with such a statement.

Your post has the tone of a snotty, immature, playground-level insult, but one that I just cannot figure out.
I feel accused of some insidious but mysterious crime.

Do you think I have not lived up to some expectation of yours?
I have no agenda here.
I started the poll to see how people feel about a huge news story.
What exactly do you think I'm up to? :roll:
Could there be some chip on your shoulder from all my other posts?

Her deposition is what caused her downfall.
So are you suggesting I "conveniently left out the deposition" to make her look good, or bad?

Totally confused here.

The deposition excerpts I read in the news admitting using the N-word and that whole thing about the Southern Wedding being a groovy thing with the African Americans all dressed up in white suits just like the good old days, and videos of her speaking was enough for me to form an opinion about this woman, but thanks for posting a link to the entire document.

BTW, I have no responsibility to post anything here.
Starting a thread does not make you the CEO of it with managerial responsibilities.
We all just post, or don't post, whatever we want.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1372492880|3474175 said:

Btw, Kenny, clever of you to conveniently leave out the deposition, the formal complaint, etc.

Huh?
Not sure what you mean by that.
What do you mean by clever and conveniently?

Your post has the tone of a snotty, immature, playground-level insult, but one that I just cannot figure out.

I have no agenda here.

So are you suggesting I "conveniently left out the deposition" to make her look good, or bad?

Totally confused here.

The deposition excerpts I read in the news admitting using the N-word and that whole thing about the Southern Wedding being a groovy thing with the African Americans all dressed up in white suits just like the good old days, and videos of her speaking was enough for me to form an opinion about this woman, but thanks for posting a link to the entire document.

Starting a thread does not make you the CEO of it with managerial responsibilities.
We all just post whatever we want.

Kenny, you consistently post controversial threads. You consistently create drama here on Hangout.

You posted a thread today and never bothered to post a link to the formal complaint, nor the deposition.

Call me names, I really don't care. "Snotty, immature, playground-level"? Really? I have always been respectful towards you. We are both long-time posters.

I won't apologize for calling you out the way I did, and I don't expect an apology from you, either.

What I would like to see from you in the future is full disclosure in your posts. Rather than wording things to incite drama, if you actually want a productive discussion, don't just toss out a little bait and expect everyone to play nice. You know exactly what you're doing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1372494815|3474181 said:

Huh?

I have no agenda here.

Totally confused here.

Kenny, you consistently post controversial threads. You consistently create drama here on Hangout.

You posted a thread today and never bothered to post a link to the formal complaint, nor the deposition.

Call me names, I really don't care. "Snotty, immature, playground-level"? Really? I have always been respectful towards you. We are both long-time posters.

I won't apologize for calling you out the way I did, and I don't expect an apology from you, either.

What I would like to see from you in the future is full disclosure in your posts. Rather than wording things to incite drama, if you actually want a productive discussion, don't just toss out a little bait and expect everyone to play nice. You know exactly what you're doing.

If you have a problem with a post report it.
Don't sour the atmosphere here.

I'll post whatever and however I want within PS rules, just like everyone else here.
But nice try to control me so I'm more like you. :roll:
People vary.
Get over it.

I don't like you either.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1372495684|3474186 said:

Huh?

I have no agenda here.

Totally confused here.

I'll post whatever and however I want within PS rules, just like everyone else here.
People vary.
Get over it.

I don't like you either.

You're right, Kenny. I'll get over it.
I have never said I don't like you. In fact, I have agreed with you many times on your own threads, and strangely, I feel like we would actually get along well in the real world. I'm sorry to hear that you don't like me, and I'm sorry if I've hurt your feelings.
It isn't my intention to control you. I do apologize for souring the atmosphere, as you put it.
It makes me very sad to know that I've upset you, and also that you found my comments juvenile. If you take the time to read back through this thread, you'll see that I took part in this discussion several times and in one instance, exposed a bit of my personal history because I felt it was relevant to this thread. I am annoyed with you because again, you didn't bother to post a link to the complaint or the deposition, yet you expect everyone to be on the same page. I chose my words poorly.
I don't want to report you, because I can take what you dished out. After all, I dished it first. Thanks for reading. I will do my best to be more respectful in the future.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2|1372440006|3473783 said:
crown1|1372437872|3473764 said:

And people are defending her? Gee, it's a good thing the Voting Rights Act was struck down, racism is totally over![/quo

I wonder if you considered there are those who would be offended by the first two words you used in your post. Many Christians feel they are the objects of discrimination.

Well that's a laugh riot of a red herring!

Good try at trying to make something sound like it is someone else at fault when the blame lies squarely on your shoulders. This thread was of interest to me to read but I did not want to participate in commenting. I don't know enough about it to voice an opinion. I don't get my jollies trying to rule the world. I did find your language offensive and pointed it out as this thread exists partly because folks found someone's language offensive. I don't need your approval or that of your supporting posters. Offensive is offensive no matter who commits the offense. Grow up and realize when you cry foul you should not commit a foul that may hurt others. I am done!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
crown1|1372512047|3474228 said:
thing2of2|1372440006|3473783 said:
crown1|1372437872|3473764 said:

And people are defending her? Gee, it's a good thing the Voting Rights Act was struck down, racism is totally over![/quo

I wonder if you considered there are those who would be offended by the first two words you used in your post. Many Christians feel they are the objects of discrimination.

Well that's a laugh riot of a red herring!

Good try at trying to make something sound like it is someone else at fault when the blame lies squarely on your shoulders. This thread was of interest to me to read but I did not want to participate in commenting. I don't know enough about it to voice an opinion. I don't get my jollies trying to rule the world. I did find your language offensive and pointed it out as this thread exists partly because folks found someone's language offensive. I don't need your approval or that of your supporting posters. Offensive is offensive no matter who commits the offense. Grow up and realize when you cry foul you should not commit a foul that may hurt others. I am done!

I have no idea what you're talking about! :wavey:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As I write this, 56% responded that PD is being treated too harshly. How so? Do you feel that Food Network should keep airing her show and just put up with the inevitable fallout? Is whatever PD has to say or demonstrate to the world so important that they should continue to broadcast it even though it would mean taking a financial loss as she'll have no corporate sponsors? Or are you saying her corporate sponsors have no right to dump her in the first place, they should continue to make her a rich woman even though they will suffer losses as people boycott their products in protest. Or are you saying that people should not boycott because they have no right to be offended by her - they have a duty to help her continue to rake in riches beyond most of our wildest dreams? I just don't get what the 56 percenters feel should be the "correct" response to this, would any care to share?

There's no punishment here. She's not getting thrown in jail, no one is taking her stuff or money away. PD in an interview said she did not know what people would find offensive. Well, now she knows. Her empire was built on being liked and now she isn't. Gig's up.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maria D|1372512553|3474234 said:
As I write this, 56% responded that PD is being treated too harshly. How so? Do you feel that Food Network should keep airing her show and just put up with the inevitable fallout? Is whatever PD has to say or demonstrate to the world so important that they should continue to broadcast it even though it would mean taking a financial loss as she'll have no corporate sponsors? Or are you saying her corporate sponsors have no right to dump her in the first place, they should continue to make her a rich woman even though they will suffer losses as people boycott their products in protest. Or are you saying that people should not boycott because they have no right to be offended by her - they have a duty to help her continue to rake in riches beyond most of our wildest dreams? I just don't get what the 56 percenters feel should be the "correct" response to this, would any care to share?

There's no punishment here. She's not getting thrown in jail, no one is taking her stuff or money away. PD in an interview said she did not know what people would find offensive. Well, now she knows. Her empire was built on being liked and now she isn't. Gig's up.

If I had to guess, I'd say the 56% have either used the word themselves, or have loved ones who do, and have some private concerns about receiving similar treatment.

This country is built on over-identification with the rich. It's why people below the poverty belt will argue for laws that benefit the Koch Brothers. Unless you are Paula-Deen-level famous, she's a weird one to identify with on this. Guys, newsflash: nobody will put you on Oprah for that time you told a bad joke. Just ... maybe don't do it again? And in the meantime, maybe think twice about supporting a lady who was apparently content with knowingly encouraging people to follow in her unfortunate footsteps as regards diabetes, who fantasizes about the good ole' days when little black children were slaves, and who is a-o-k with her brother harassing her employees!

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
As far as I know, we are all adults and we all have the internet. So I don't see how Kenny not posting a link to the deposition is an issue. We can all easily access it.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Exactly. I can't believe anyone seriously thinks that her sponsors should/would "stand by her" when she's admitted she makes racist remarks. Racism doesn't sell these days. It clearly exists, but it's no longer socially acceptable. (In theory, at least-it certainly seems acceptable among a large percentage of PS posters.)

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thing, I think what they are talking about is that many people are extremely offended by "taking the lord's name in vain" and find what you wrote as offensive as hearing someone call someone a n*******. While I wouldn't call doing that (saying JC) discrimination, I can see how some would find it very offensive.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1372485575|3474153 said:
momhappy|1372470347|3474096 said:
I also agree that someone s innocent until proven guilty and yes, that sentiment seems to be missing here.

It's not missing.
It's just irrelevant.

All this resulted from her sworn deposition, not from assuming a guilty trial verdict.

So you agreed with the verdict for the OJ criminal trial?
Trials can produce wonky results because of technicalities, slick slimeball lawyers, or for many other reasons such as playing the race card which makes everyone go bonkers.

The sworn deposition is Deen's pure words under oath.
Unlike the trial outcome it cannot be twisted, interpreted and distorted by lawyers and a jury.
Regardless of the trial's outcome her testimony remains unchanged and it's a window into the woman.

If Dean is found innocent in the trial nothing changes because she is still guilty of what she said under oath.
She cannot un-ring this bell.

I meant the Innocent until proven guilty in terms of the trial - not the overall situation. I admit that I know very little of the details, but I believe that she admitted to some remarks, which is where the subsequent "apologies" came from. I guess this is part of why I'm leaving the discussion. It's not productive and many on-line forums don't even allow this kind of thing. I can respect the opinions of others and I'm sure that the mods are monitoring things, but I'm out of this one :)

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
babs23r|1372458610|3473990 said:
Wow, what a surprise that Jimmy Carter is calling for forgiveness when it comes to Paula Deen. That's like the pot calling the kettle black( no pun intended).
He's got a nerve telling us who to forgive. He is one of the worlds most famous racist.

Is he? Wow! I've heard about a lot of (supposedly) American racists - Wallace Fard Muhammad, Louis Farrakhan, Henry Ford, Samuel Bowers, Richard Girnt Butler, John McCain, Sarah Palin, Al Sharpton, Jeremiah Wright, Bill O'Reilly, Elisabeth Hasselback, etc ........ Some are, some aren't in my opinion, but I've never heard that Jimmy Carter is a racist.

In fact I've heard the exact opposite - that he has fought racism very strongly, starting when he was in the Navy in the late 1940's when his submarine was moored in Bermuda and British officials there extended a party invitation to white crewmembers only. Partly at his urgings, everyone on the submarine refused to attend. In the late 1950's he was the only white male in his town to refuse to join the White Citizens Council. During his time as a Georgia State Senator he helped repeal laws designed to discourage African Americans from voting. When a vote was held in his church to decide on whether to admit blacks to worship there, the vote was nearly unanimous against integration. Of the three dissenting votes, two were cast by him and his wife. When he became Governor of Georgia in 1970 his inaugural address called for an end to segregation. During his time as governor, he increased the number of African American staff members in Georgia's government by more than 20 percent. Once he became President, he wanted the United States to take the lead in promoting universal human rights. Since he left the Presidency, he's become a champion of human rights .

Doesn't sound racist to me!

Maybe you should check your facts before making such a comment?

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1372495684|3474186 said:

Huh?

I have no agenda here.

Totally confused here.

People vary.
Get over it.

I don't like you either.

Such a thoughtful, grown-up, mature response. Not "snotty, immature, playground-level" at all. :roll: Well done. :appl:

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Circe|1372513066|3474236 said:

If I had to guess, I'd say the 56% have either used the word themselves, or have loved ones who do, and have some private concerns about receiving similar treatment.

This country is built on over-identification with the rich. It's why people below the poverty belt will argue for laws that benefit the Koch Brothers. Unless you are Paula-Deen-level famous, she's a weird one to identify with on this. Guys, newsflash: nobody will put you on Oprah for that time you told a bad joke. Just ... maybe don't do it again? And in the meantime, maybe think twice about supporting a lady who was apparently content with knowingly encouraging people to follow in her unfortunate footsteps as regards diabetes, who fantasizes about the good ole' days when little black children were slaves, and who is a-o-k with her brother harassing her employees!

As one of the 56%, I can say for sure that (speaking for me personally) I have neither used the word myself, or have loved ones who do, or have some private concerns about receiving similar treatment.

I voted that I thought Paula Dean had been treated harshly because...........yes, she admits to using to using the "N" word, but that was many years ago (and kudos to her for admitting it rather than doing what a lot of politicians do and be "economical with the truth").

If her sponsoring companies have PR 'get out' clauses then fair dues to them, that's their right and if they had such a clause, presumably Paula Deen signed a document that had something about that in it. If they didn't have such a clause then I think they should wait for the outcome of the trial. Suspended her contract by all means but to drop her completely with no trial resolution and no PR 'get out' clause? Doesn't make sense to me and doesn't seem fair to me.

Are we all to be judged for things we said 20 or 30 years ago? Can you, or anyone, honestly say you haven't said something back then that, by today's standards, could be considered offensive or derogatory? (I'm not sure I could swear to that as the rules seem to change at a whim. All I can do is speak as I see right - and hope that by speaking about others as I hope they speak about me, I won't offend anyone or be derogatory about anyone).

And regarding the 'plantation wedding' that she wanted to organise for her brother, (modelled apparently after a restaurant where the “whole entire wait staff was middle-aged black men clad in white jackets and black bow ties" - quote from her deposition), well she might have thought it but she didn't do it as she "would be afraid that somebody would misinterpret.” (Again, direct quote from her deposition).

How many people have used that restaurant for celebrations and weddings? Anybody know????

Is everybody who has used that restaurant racist? If I was to hire that restaurant tomorrow, would that make ME racist?

Paula Dean thought about hiring that restaurant to cater for her brother's wedding but didn't, yet it's something that some here, and on the Internet generally, are chastising her for?

If she is so racist for thinking about using those waiters for her brother's wedding, why aren't you campaigning to close down that restaurant?

And how many of us have thought about doing something (not necessarily a racist something) but not going ahead with it because of fear what others would think? How is this any different?

2 final questions .......

- How does her use of the "N" word xx years ago vary from Trayvon Martin saying a "cracker" was following him?

- Jesse Jackson seems to be showing tolerance and forgiveness toward Paula Dean - why is it that so many others can't or won't?

Genuinely interested in the answers to this, as I just don't see why the court of American public opinion is already judging her guilty. (and yes, I have read through all the pages of her deposition and all the pages of the complaint against her).

I guess I just don't understand a lot (most?) of what happens in America or the way a lot of Americans seem to think. :((

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1372496498|3474188 said:
You're right, Kenny. I'll get over it.
I have never said I don't like you. In fact, I have agreed with you many times on your own threads, and strangely, I feel like we would actually get along well in the real world. I'm sorry to hear that you don't like me, and I'm sorry if I've hurt your feelings.
It isn't my intention to control you. I do apologize for souring the atmosphere, as you put it.
It makes me very sad to know that I've upset you, and also that you found my comments juvenile. If you take the time to read back through this thread, you'll see that I took part in this discussion several times and in one instance, exposed a bit of my personal history because I felt it was relevant to this thread. I am annoyed with you because again, you didn't bother to post a link to the complaint or the deposition, yet you expect everyone to be on the same page. I chose my words poorly.
I don't want to report you, because I can take what you dished out. After all, I dished it first. Thanks for reading. I will do my best to be more respectful in the future.

Thanks monarch.
Sorry I snapped at you last night.

I'll try to be less thin skinned in the future. :wavey:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I initially weighed in as "too harsh" but now that I know more - i.e. now that I've read beyond the headlines - I'd vote differently.

Paula Deen's actions as a business owner, if they were as described in the lawsuit, are deplorable. At a minimum, the complaint paints a picture of someone who tolerates and condones racism in a business that she owns (either fully or in part), who discriminates against female employees, and who retaliates.... it paints a picture of a business that operates as if the fair employment laws that have been in place for almost 50 years now just didn't exist. So I definitely understand why her former business partners can't distance themselves from her quickly enough.

When I was reacting to just headlines, I was concerned that our rush to political correctness and condemnation of people for the language they use could get in the way of a real dialogue about race and racism. Racism is not always a black or white issue - no pun intended. I suspect that most if not all of us harbor some elements of racism - that we're all not truly colorblind under all circumstances, and I'm concerned that throwing the term "racist" around too readily might inhibit people from discussing their real reactions and fears.

As for the other controversy, I don't consider someone using the term "Jesus Christ" as it was used here to discriminate against me as a Christian and I don't consider it to be comparable to racism. I also consider it unnecessary... :rolleyes: ... and I'll just leave it at that.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
- How does her use of the "N" word xx years ago vary from Trayvon Martin saying a "cracker" was following him?
The situations are not really comparable except for both using racist terms. Trayvon is dead for one. But also Paula is a huge celebrity. She's been making mountains of money based on her personality, her likeability. That's gone now for a lot of people. Huge retailers want nothing to do with her because she is no longer "worth" the financial risk of having her crap, I mean merchandise, on their shelves. No one else lost anything by Trayvon saying "cracker". No one knew of Trayvon until he died. He had no public persona or money making likeability to lose.

- Jesse Jackson seems to be showing tolerance and forgiveness toward Paula Dean - why is it that so many others can't or won't?
Just guessing here, but probably because he has no financial holdings or dealings with Paula Deen. No one who values their business holdings wants to be connected in any way to a person who literally makes money from her personality. When that personality is tarnished, why wouldn't the money start leaving? You can't sell a personality no one wants!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
MAC-W|1372520527|3474294 said:
Wow, what a surprise that Jimmy Carter is calling for forgiveness when it comes to Paula Deen. That's like the pot calling the kettle black( no pun intended).
He's got a nerve telling us who to forgive. He is one of the worlds most famous racist.

Is he? Wow! I've heard about a lot of (supposedly) American racists - Wallace Fard Muhammad, Louis Farrakhan, Henry Ford, Samuel Bowers, Richard Girnt Butler, John McCain, Sarah Palin, Al Sharpton, Jeremiah Wright, Bill O'Reilly, Elisabeth Hasselback, etc ........ Some are, some aren't in my opinion, but I've never heard that Jimmy Carter is a racist.

In fact I've heard the exact opposite - that he has fought racism very strongly, starting when he was in the Navy in the late 1940's when his submarine was moored in Bermuda and British officials there extended a party invitation to white crewmembers only. Partly at his urgings, everyone on the submarine refused to attend. In the late 1950's he was the only white male in his town to refuse to join the White Citizens Council. During his time as a Georgia State Senator he helped repeal laws designed to discourage African Americans from voting. When a vote was held in his church to decide on whether to admit blacks to worship there, the vote was nearly unanimous against integration. Of the three dissenting votes, two were cast by him and his wife. When he became Governor of Georgia in 1970 his inaugural address called for an end to segregation. During his time as governor, he increased the number of African American staff members in Georgia's government by more than 20 percent. Once he became President, he wanted the United States to take the lead in promoting universal human rights. Since he left the Presidency, he's become a champion of human rights .

Doesn't sound racist to me!

Jimmy Carter is an antisemite, and when I last checked " my facts", that, in my opinion is a racist. And don't come back with all of your blah blah blah about peace treaties being signed. It's all political.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Whatever happened to the old adage about sticks and stones?

Americans have become such pussies.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I'm of mixed race and grew up in Texas and Louisiana. I've heard every derogatory term in the book. I guess I would have the right to use both the terms "nigger" and "cracker" since I have white and black grandparents?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
babs23r|1372532454|3474398 said:
MAC-W|1372520527|3474294 said:

but I've never heard that Jimmy Carter is a racist.
(snip)

Jimmy Carter is an antisemite, and when I last checked " my facts", that, in my opinion is a racist. And don't come back with all of your blah blah blah about peace treaties being signed. It's all political.

At this point I don't even know whom I am answering. I have the quotations muddled above. I will have to look back after I write my opinion. Perhaps it is better that I don't know which individual said what; in that case I can write my ideas without being prejudiced by knowing to what person I am speaking (i.e. whether the person is a good friend of mine).

If someone has the opinion that Jimmy Carter is anti-Semite (one with which I very strongly disagree, by the way), it is just that: an opinion. It really cannot be turned into a fact. I have not commented in this thread until now. It seems , to me, to be a tempest in a teapot compared with the whittling away of the Voting Rights Act. Paula Deen is a cook, for the love of Mike. Unless one regularly gets worked up the Kardashians or the other people covered in "The Enquirer", why would one bother with this?

Jimmy Carter, on the other hand, was my favorite president by far. I have a Jewish husband and a lot of family in Israel. My great-nephew, who now lives in the United States, and like his parents, siblings, and cousins is an Israeli army veteran, is like a son to me. I am willing to write in a thread about Jimmy Carter, because he is worth writing about. He isn't some 15 minute wonder. I look up to him.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Just want to point out that this case will probably be settled out of court, and quickly, I think, Doubtful there will be a trial.

Annette

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Carter calls Israel onto the carpet when he feels it has made a mistake.

To many people criticizing or even discussing Israel is off bounds.
Israel can do no wrong.
Anyone expressing an opinion that Israel did something wrong is labled an anti-semite. :roll:

Every country has done bad things, including Israel and America (rendition, Guantanamo and now spying on its citizens :nono: ).
GMAB.
Pointing out wrong-doing by big powers takes morality and bravery.
Ability to criticize the government is one of the things that makes countries like Israel and America great.

Though he's not perfect I also look up to Carter as a man of very high principles rather than a corrupt, slimeball, paid-off @sskisser like most politicians.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hard to say. Her interview was all about how SHE was suffering. Being raised by people that were called niggers, and who dressed in uniforms and the like. Who were the most important people in my life. I am not a fan of hers.. But wasn't to begin with.

Perhaps it was the high coloric foods she was pushing,and then had to do a turn about after it was divulged she is diabetic..

Good move for her to educate people etc...

But her credibility is toast... Whole wheat of course... ;))

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Ladies and gentlemen, last chance. Please keep the tone polite or the thread will be closed and time outs will be given.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results