shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Paula Deen getting what she deserves?

Is Paula Deen getting what she deserves?

• She is being punished too harshly.

Votes: 56 54.9%
  • The punishment is just right.

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • She should be punished more harshly.

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • Other, please explain.

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ella, if you're going to swing a ban hammer I hope it is studded with fine jewels!

ban = time out for any period of time from hours/days to permanent on many other forums..........

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a southerner who has actually never watched PD, never eaten in her restaurant, or bought her cookbooks. I have never used the n-word and do not approve of it. I really am not all that interested in the situation, to be honest. If a business offends me personally, then I will simply no longer give them my business. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, and I wouldn't go on a rampage trying to shut them down.

I just want to say from observing this thread, I think people are products of their environment/culture and are sometimes blinded to what is offensive to other groups of people or cultures. Words have even been used on this thread that have offended others and the writers probably don't realize it (or deny it) because it isn't offensive to THEM! So, I see some irony on this thread. And that's really the only thing I wanted to add to the conversation.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1372528109|3474365 said:
- How does her use of the "N" word xx years ago vary from Trayvon Martin saying a "cracker" was following him?
The situations are not really comparable except for both using racist terms. Trayvon is dead for one. But also Paula is a huge celebrity. She's been making mountains of money based on her personality, her likeability. That's gone now for a lot of people. Huge retailers want nothing to do with her because she is no longer "worth" the financial risk of having her crap, I mean merchandise, on their shelves. No one else lost anything by Trayvon saying "cracker". No one knew of Trayvon until he died. He had no public persona or money making likeability to lose.

- Jesse Jackson seems to be showing tolerance and forgiveness toward Paula Dean - why is it that so many others can't or won't?
Just guessing here, but probably because he has no financial holdings or dealings with Paula Deen. No one who values their business holdings wants to be connected in any way to a person who literally makes money from her personality. When that personality is tarnished, why wouldn't the money start leaving? You can't sell a personality no one wants!

Thank you Freke for taking the time to answer some of my questions :)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think this thread may be demonstrating what I think of as the "But Enough About Me, What Do YOU Think About Me?" effect, wherein members of the majority succumb to the irresistible temptation to redirect the conversation back to what really matters ... themselves.

You see it in conversations about female genital mutilation, where you can just mark the seconds until somebody (usually male, sometimes a lady with a well-internalized sense of patriarchy) comes along to turn the focus to male circumcision. A really serious problem suffered by lower status people is sidelined in favor of paying yet more attention to the less-urgent concerns of a group that already has plenty of resources.

You see it in conversations about rape, where no matter how heinous the example at hand, somebody is almost always on hand to talk about, a) how women make false accusations, b) shouldn't drink/wear skirts/leave their windows open to tempt those poor susceptible men, or, c) well, awful as it is, it's not the sort of thing we should ruin a young man's future over, is it? Because on a society-wide level, we're indoctrinated to be more concerned about how things affect the people with the most potential to be powerful, and, sadly, it ain't the ladies.

And you definitely see it in conversations about race. Dudes. Paralleling a non-influential anonymous Internet poster's commonly used expression of surprise via a reference to the dominant culture's deity is SO NOT THE SAME as casually dropping the n-bomb. It's not EVEN a difference of degree and not kind. It is completely different in scope and effect, to the point that it's beyond being irritating or frustrating or offensive. What it is? Is TELLING. It will point you to where a society's primary interests lie, every time.

Let's resist temptation, maybe? And keep talking about Deen specifically? Because some of these answers are actually proving kinda illuminating. Like, I actually had no idea people felt like reclaimed language represented a double standard. Hoping Ella doesn't have to shut us down, and that this thread proves fruitful, not hurtful ....

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Maria D|1372513662|3474240 said:
Thing, I think what they are talking about is that many people are extremely offended by "taking the lord's name in vain" and find what you wrote as offensive as hearing someone call someone a n*******. While I wouldn't call doing that (saying JC) discrimination, I can see how some would find it very offensive.

I've seen this use if the Lord's name in vain vain a lot on PS, and I have to admit, it is offensive to me. Glad someone braver than I am pointed it out. Ducks back into shell......

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, the irony. Fair enough.

On another note ... somewhere up thread, I'm afraid I can't find it, somebody asked if we were all to be judged for our past actions. Um ... yes? What else would we be judged on, potential future actions? There's no statute of limitations for being a jerk.

And in response to the question of whether everybody who's dined at the restaurant where Deen made her unfortunate remarks is a racist ... only if they fantasized aloud about the days when children were slaves using opprobrious epithets. It's ... kind of a stretch, no?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1372631953|3474970 said:

Oh, the condescension.

Drawing analogies to things that happen in our own lives is part of how we process information.

Having those analogies challenged is part of how we learn.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
VRBeauty|1372634553|3474986 said:
Circe|1372631953|3474970 said:

Oh, the condescension.

Drawing analogies to things that happen in our own lives is part of how we process information.

Having those analogies challenged is part of how we learn.

Hey, I said fair enough! :cheeky: If we cross-posted, we cross-posted. And if I'm poking fun, it's at myself for apparently being on a very different page re: this topic.

I will also say, thought, that a sense of scale is really helpful when it comes to - useful - analogies. My comparing my hangnail to somebody else's flesh-eating disease won't help me to understand their experience, and won't make them feel as though they've received sympathy. It'll just redirect the conversation to something *I* feel.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1372630137|3474952 said:
And you definitely see it in conversations about race. Dudes. Paralleling a non-influential anonymous Internet poster's commonly used expression of surprise via a reference to the dominant culture's deity is SO NOT THE SAME as casually dropping the n-bomb. It's not EVEN a difference of degree and not kind. It is completely different in scope and effect, to the point that it's beyond being irritating or frustrating or offensive. What it is? Is TELLING. It will point you to where a society's primary interests lie, every time.

Circe,

I understand your point and think it is well made logically. However, I do not recommend that posters try to apply it on Pricescope. I think that the best route that a poster can take here is to attempt to post with as much courtesy and respect as he is able to summon. Some people are more sensitive to social niceties than are others and the moderators, I know, will cut people slack when their intentions were not to be discourteous.

Nonetheless, the best way for a poster to make a good case for his position is to be as free of taint himself as possible (to be as pure as Caesar's wife, if you will). By that I mean that the poster writing should do his best to be free of unfair rancor if he wishes to persuade others to his point of view. That is my opinion and that is also the way that the community functions best.

Your net nanny,
Deb
:wavey:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1372635476|3474994 said:

Circe,

I understand your point and think it is well made logically. However, I do not recommend that posters try to apply it on Pricescope. I think that the best route that a poster can take here is to attempt to post with as much courtesy and respect as he is able to summon. Some people are more sensitive to social niceties than are others and the moderators, I know, will cut people slack when their intentions were not to be discourteous.

Nonetheless, the best way for a poster to make a good case for his position is to be as free of taint himself as possible (to be as pure as Caesar's wife, if you will). By that I mean that the poster writing should do his best to be free of unfair rancor if he wishes to persuade others to his point of view. That is my opinion and that is also the way that the community functions best.

Your net nanny,
Deb

Hey, it's the policy I try to follow (and, believe me, curbing my sailor's tongue to say things like "bull-pucky" instead of what I'm really thinking requires effort). But it's fascinating that somebody's unguarded moment can cause a thread-wide derail on a contentious topic. Not to make it *less* contentious ... just to put it on ground where people feel they have a surer-footing than, say, defending a racist.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1372636111|3475000 said:
Hey, it's the policy I try to follow (and, believe me, curbing my sailor's tongue to say things like "bull-pucky" instead of what I'm really thinking requires effort). But it's fascinating that somebody's unguarded moment can cause a thread-wide derail on a contentious topic. Not to make it *less* contentious ... just to put it on ground where people feel they have a surer-footing than, say, defending a racist.

Circe-

To make this "about me" let me tell you that I have a 20 year-old daughter who is obsessed with words. Recently she looked up both "loquacious" and "garrulous" in the dictionary to make sure that I had defined them adequately for her purposes. If you have a "sailor's tongue", may all the English speaking world be blessed with similar mariners' capabilities! We will be far better off than we are now, my well-spoken friend!

Hugs,
Deb
:saint:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
As this thread has five pages, I can only assume it is a "bone to be picked" here on PS.

I'm choosing not to read any previous postings about whether she is a racist or not.

What she said, in what should have been a private deposition in a case that has yet to be decided upon, is, frankly, none of my business or yours. You and I don't have a dog in this fight. That means we don't get to decide if she's "guilty" or not. We don't have a clue, 'cause we weren't there.

I prefer to not be part of the mob yelling, "Crucify!"

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1372641840|3475055 said:

I agree. Being part of that mob would be a very bad thing.

Deb

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As this thread has five pages, I can only assume it is a "bone to be picked" here on PS.

I'm choosing not to read any previous postings about whether she is a racist or not.

What she said, in what should have been a private deposition in a case that has yet to be decided upon, is, frankly, none of my business or yours. You and I don't have a dog in this fight. That means we don't get to decide if she's "guilty" or not. We don't have a clue, 'cause we weren't there.

maybe reading the other posts might be a good idea. That way you know what this thread about.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1372636784|3475005 said:

Circe-

To make this "about me" let me tell you that I have a 20 year-old daughter who is obsessed with words. Recently she looked up both "loquacious" and "garrulous" in the dictionary to make sure that I had defined them adequately for her purposes. If you have a "sailor's tongue", may all the English speaking world be blessed with similar mariners' capabilities! We will be far better off than we are now, my well-spoken friend!

Hugs,
Deb

Heheheheh - Deb, that's the nicest compliment I've gotten in YEARS. Thank you! And quite mutual, as that is quite the courtly phrasing. :)

Now I actually want a boat. I would call her the Sesquipedalian.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Circe|1372643697|3475083 said:
AGBF|1372636784|3475005 said:

Circe-

Hugs,
Deb

Heheheheh - Deb, that's the nicest compliment I've gotten in YEARS. Thank you! And quite mutual, as that is quite the courtly phrasing. :)

Too many syllables in that name!!!! Lets call this whole thread off. :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
babs23r|1372650489|3475141 said:

Too many syllables in that name!!!! Lets call this whole thread off.

I don't know, babs. I can handle the syllables, but I am afraid that Circe will get in trouble for bringing religion into the thread.

Deb

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1372444921|3473850 said:
To borrow a phrase: You reap what you sow.

Yeah, totally. I didn't even know who Paula Deen was until I was googling recipes for last Thanksgiving. I don't watch a lot of TV (I prefer Netflix, etc), but this popped up and I did a bit of reading to see what occurred with her and I just don't think a person who says stuff like that can suddenly not think that way so regardless of when she said what she did, it's in her mindset...

She lost a bunch of sponsors. Do I care? No.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1372528109|3474365 said:
- How does her use of the "N" word xx years ago vary from Trayvon Martin saying a "cracker" was following him?
The situations are not really comparable except for both using racist terms. Trayvon is dead for one. But also Paula is a huge celebrity. She's been making mountains of money based on her personality, her likeability. That's gone now for a lot of people. Huge retailers want nothing to do with her because she is no longer "worth" the financial risk of having her crap, I mean merchandise, on their shelves. No one else lost anything by Trayvon saying "cracker". No one knew of Trayvon until he died. He had no public persona or money making likeability to lose.

- Jesse Jackson seems to be showing tolerance and forgiveness toward Paula Dean - why is it that so many others can't or won't?
Just guessing here, but probably because he has no financial holdings or dealings with Paula Deen. No one who values their business holdings wants to be connected in any way to a person who literally makes money from her personality. When that personality is tarnished, why wouldn't the money start leaving? You can't sell a personality no one wants!

The funny thing is you have to wonder how many customers those companies who dumped Paula have the same sentiments as her. Are those companies willing to refuse service to racist customers? Probably not. It's all about the buck to them...they probably looked at their client base and crunched the numbers to work in their favor.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1372652796|3475154 said:
babs23r|1372650489|3475141 said:

Too many syllables in that name!!!! Lets call this whole thread off.

I don't know, babs. I can handle the syllables, but I am afraid that Circe will get in trouble for bringing religion into the thread.

Deb

Will this boat be only a foot and a half long Circe? :))

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I make no apologies for my sesquipedalianism: I am a logophile through and through. And I doubt the Supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus would pass muster with the yacht club. :saint:

Anyway, *I* certainly don't mean to derail! Now back to our scheduled programming. :read:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't vote because I hadn't read much about this, so I didn't know one way or another. Personally I would have said, if it was a matter of someone saying that word 30 + years ago, but then going through civil rights, etc realizing it was wrong and not using it since, I would have said what is going on is an over reaction. Because she used it at the time when for her culture it was the norm and acceptable.

But - it doesn't sound like that is the case. That she has most likely said it more recently than that. Also it wasn't just the use of that term, but other racist beliefs that she apparently thinks is OK, and allowing people below her (such as her brother) to have racist behavior in her restaurant. Well, she's the owner the buck stops with her; she is responsible.

It doesn't really matter what I think, but since everyone is weighing in, thought I would too.

Jimmy Carter never struck me as a racist. In fact his morals were a definite impediment to his chosen job aspiration (president).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think this thread may be demonstrating what I think of as the "But Enough About Me, What Do YOU Think About Me?" effect, wherein members of the majority succumb to the irresistible temptation to redirect the conversation back to what really matters ... themselves.

You see it in conversations about female genital mutilation, where you can just mark the seconds until somebody (usually male, sometimes a lady with a well-internalized sense of patriarchy) comes along to turn the focus to male circumcision. A really serious problem suffered by lower status people is sidelined in favor of paying yet more attention to the less-urgent concerns of a group that already has plenty of resources.

You see it in conversations about rape, where no matter how heinous the example at hand, somebody is almost always on hand to talk about, a) how women make false accusations, b) shouldn't drink/wear skirts/leave their windows open to tempt those poor susceptible men, or, c) well, awful as it is, it's not the sort of thing we should ruin a young man's future over, is it? Because on a society-wide level, we're indoctrinated to be more concerned about how things affect the people with the most potential to be powerful, and, sadly, it ain't the ladies.

Let's resist temptation, maybe? And keep talking about Deen specifically? Because some of these answers are actually proving kinda illuminating. Like, I actually had no idea people felt like reclaimed language represented a double standard. Hoping Ella doesn't have to shut us down, and that this thread proves fruitful, not hurtful ....

Well said as always, Circe. Honestly I'm just too lazy to deal with the ridiculous false equivalencies that occur everywhere, all the time, always from people with privilege, both here and IRL. I'm not sorry I said "Jesus Christ"-it's a common expression of surprise, and I was surprised, even shocked at the posts I was reading.

Additionally, the saying "Jesus Christ" is not discriminatory in any way, shape or form, nor is it an insult of any kind. Same with "Oh my God!" or even "OMG!" They're not even insults, just expressions, figures of speech, etc.. Calling someone a "nigger" is so far removed from using "Jesus Christ" in a sentence that to draw a comparison between the two is truly laughable. I actually did laugh when I read that because it's truly ridiculous. Because of COURSE that's where the conversation would go. Forget the giant racist, let's talk about someone taking the lord's name in vain!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1372710312|3475559 said:
Additionally, the saying "Jesus Christ" is not discriminatory in any way, shape or form, nor is it an insult of any kind. Same with "Oh my God!" or even "OMG!" They're not even insults, just expressions, figures of speech, etc.. Calling someone a "nigger" is so far removed from using "Jesus Christ" in a sentence that to draw a comparison between the two is truly laughable. I actually did laugh when I read that because it's truly ridiculous. Because of COURSE that's where the conversation would go. Forget the giant racist, let's talk about someone taking the lord's name in vain!

Total threadjack:

When I read the above I thought that life is really unfair. Although I am very interested in political and social issues and come from a family in which everyone is, my daughter takes no interest in them due to emotional problems. I would have loved to have had a daughter like you who is bright, articulate, brave and and socially engaged. Even if I thought that perhaps she might be more temperate so as not to hurt the feelings of others, I would try not to be too hard on her. And even if I was critical, my heart would be bursting with pride.

You so much call it like it is, thing. You are such a brave girl. Woman. I salute you.

Hugs,
Deb

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I'm just too lazy to deal with the ridiculous false equivalencies that occur everywhere, all the time, always from people with privilege, both here and IRL. I'm not sorry I said "Jesus Christ"-it's a common expression of surprise, and I was surprised, even shocked at the posts I was reading.

Hi Thing,
Whilst I agree that to many people the expression of "Jesus Christ" used as an way of showing surprise/ exasperation / or whatever, is just a figure of speech, to others it is an offensive use of the name a person important to their beliefs and religion.

There are a number of people who have expressly stated to you on this thread that they find your use of said words offensive, and given we are on a thread all about somebody else's offensive use of another word (regardless of scale), even if you are feeling "lazy", why not (for community relations if for no other reason) just say "I didn't mean to offend anyone" and then people can all move on from this point - unless of course you did mean to offend, or you don't care that you inadvertently did in which case ... Eeeeek!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1372715546|3475621 said:

Total threadjack:

When I read the above I thought that life is really unfair. Although I am very interested in political and social issues and come from a family in which everyone is, my daughter takes no interest in them due to emotional problems. I would have loved to have had a daughter like you who is bright, articulate, brave and and socially engaged. Even if I thought that perhaps she might be more temperate so as not to hurt the feelings of others, I would try not to be too hard on her. And even if I was critical, my heart would be bursting with pride.

You so much call it like it is, thing. You are such a brave girl. Woman. I salute you.

Hugs,
Deb

Aw thanks Deb. That means a lot coming from you. You and your daughter were dealt a rough hand. I hope some day she's able to overcome her mental health problems. I wish all the best to you and your daughter.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
MAC-W|1372722248|3475684 said:
Honestly I'm just too lazy to deal with the ridiculous false equivalencies that occur everywhere, all the time, always from people with privilege, both here and IRL. I'm not sorry I said "Jesus Christ"-it's a common expression of surprise, and I was surprised, even shocked at the posts I was reading.

Hi Thing,
Whilst I agree that to many people the expression of "Jesus Christ" used as an way of showing surprise/ exasperation / or whatever, is just a figure of speech, to others it is an offensive use of the name a person important to their beliefs and religion.

There are a number of people who have expressly stated to you on this thread that they find your use of said words offensive, and given we are on a thread all about somebody else's offensive use of another word (regardless of scale), even if you are feeling "lazy", why not (for community relations if for no other reason) just say "I didn't mean to offend anyone" and then people can all move on from this point - unless of course you did mean to offend, or you don't care that you inadvertently did in which case ... Eeeeek!

What she said, in what should have been a private deposition in a case that has yet to be decided upon, is, frankly, none of my business or yours. You and I don't have a dog in this fight[/i]. That means we don't get to decide if she's "guilty" or not. We don't have a clue, 'cause we weren't there.

Hmmm....well, eeeeek, I have been offended by this particular phrase all day...... but I kept it to myself until I read your most recent comment to Thing 2, MAC-W, and realized I would be remiss in doing so, as I am quite certain many people would find this offensive too.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hlmr|1372734879|3475801 said:

Hmmm....well, eeeeek, I have been offended by this particular phrase all day...... but I kept it to myself until I read your most recent comment to Thing 2, MAC-W, and realized I would be remiss in doing so, as I am quite certain many people would find this offensive too.

Well, since Holly is using the (Christian) son of God being martyred as a metaphor for Paula Deen's ordeal, it might, indeed, raise some eyebrows. That is why I commented above that that mob yelling, "Crucify!" was not one which one would wish to join. <Smile.> I do think that we should look at the context of who is posting if we know the poster, however. Holly is known on these boards as a Christian woman who is active in posting music at holiday time. From that we can derive that she meant no disrespect to Christians. I suspect that she didn't mean to compare Paula Deen's sufferings with those of Jesus.

Deb/AGBF

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is official: I finally committed on the poll. she deserves more.
why did I delay? because I feel very strongly that a woman of her age should have lived enough history to realize that she is indeed racist. I can forgive words uttered 30-50 years ago. I cannot forgive business practices or tolerance of jokes, etc. that might have been rather widespread 50 years ago. she seems to have more in common with a spoiled little daughter of a plantation owner than a modern businesswoman. let the market forces react and let her bear the consequences of her business decisions.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1372631483|3474966 said:
Maria D|1372513662|3474240 said:
Thing, I think what they are talking about is that many people are extremely offended by "taking the lord's name in vain" and find what you wrote as offensive as hearing someone call someone a n*******. While I wouldn't call doing that (saying JC) discrimination, I can see how some would find it very offensive.

I've seen this use if the Lord's name in vain vain a lot on PS, and I have to admit, it is offensive to me. Glad someone braver than I am pointed it out. Ducks back into shell......

Oh, but I wasn't being brave! I took Thing's remark (she had no idea what the poster was talking about) at face value and thought I'd explain. I actually do this quite often with students who don't realize that it might be offensive to some people. I wasn't in anyway trying to make an offensive language "parallel."

However, there are people who still bristle at hearing "god damn" said casually aloud in public just as much as we would upon hearing the word in question here. My 85 year old aunt-in-law is one of them. She's lived in the same predominantly Catholic town all her life, doesn't get out much, doesn't watch much TV and thinks only a certain kind of unsavory character talks that way. In real life, I sound a lot like Packrat and Thing2of2 mixed together (J. F. C.!) but I don't talk that way around Aunt Marg. If I was asked under oath if I've ever said that phrase, my response would be "of course!" and I would honestly feel that doesn't make me anti-Christian. So there's the parallel - PD doesn't feel that saying the word, or listening/laughing to the jokes, or her other alleged actions make her a racist. That's what makes her apologies more off-putting than the actual deposition. She's not sorry about any of it, she feels like the victim herself.

Until last week, I'd never given PD much thought beyond wondering if that's what my hair color would look like if I stopped dying it. I don't watch cooking shows and I'm not in the habit of buying processed frozen foods or celebrity name branded cookware. I totally agree with Deb that the SC invalidating the VRA is an actual, serious, problem. The descent of PD is not.

We have free speech in this country and PD is allowed to say/think whatever she wants. It hasn't been proven that she's done anything illegal. But, market forces being what they are, she's getting exactly what she deserves. And Thing, if they find out who you are, your sweet potato pie recipe will likely get turned down for the church cookbook. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results