shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Kate's post-delivery baby bump about average?

Is Kate's post-birth baby bump about average?

• Smaller than average

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Average

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • Larger than average

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One day after delivery ...

screen_shot_2013-07-24_at_12.png

screen_shot_2013-07-24_at_0.png

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Yes. Very average. The uterus is still quite enlarged this early after delivery.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
And it can take 4 weeks for the uterus to shrink back to its prepregnancy size.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I think she's done very well in terms of her pregnancy figure. You can see that she has gained no weight anywhere except her stomach - where the weight is meant to be!

I knew that it's normal to still have a large bump right after you give birth. The uterus stretches to the size of a watermelon so it doesn't ping right back the moment the baby's out. It takes some time to shrink down.

I don't think she looks bad at all, considering that the birth was mere hours earlier. Of course, I'm sure she was super-disciplined during her pregnancy. I can't see her on the sofa with a box of chocolates, somehow!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gosh, but her post baby bump looks so...firm. I remember looking into the mirror the day after giving birth and I burst into tears! I had all this loose skin and it just hung there, lol. No more hard bump (and I gained the "right" amount of weight, just in the tummy area), all I had left was just smooshy swags and folds across my belly!

I mean, hey, people vary, therefore uterus's (uteri?) must also vary!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do we really have to discuss her figure a few hours after giving birth?

This is the sort of thing that creates such pressure on women to not gain too much weight (aka, as little as possible, regardless of what is healthy), to lose it quickly after birth, to be seen in a bathing suit 2 weeks after birth, etc. Or, alternatively, for women to feel guilty for not losing the weight that quickly, etc.

She is healthy, the baby is healthy, everyone is happy. Let's leave her body out of this.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1374695409|3489362 said:

This is the sort of thing that creates such pressure on women to not gain too much weight (aka, as little as possible, regardless of what is healthy), to lose it quickly after birth, to be seen in a bathing suit 2 weeks after birth, etc. Or, alternatively, for women to feel guilty for not losing the weight that quickly, etc.

She is healthy, the baby is healthy, everyone is happy. Let's leave her body out of this.

+1 I wasn't going to comment on this thread but you said it so well.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm asking what's average because I don't know, and this is a community which would know.
Sincere question.
I phrased my post with zero judgement.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am sorry, Kenny. I interpreted your question in the worst light possible. Unfortunately, there are too many people out there criticizing her post baby figure and too many similar comments on other celebrity new mothers.

As previous posters have said, yes, that is normal. Of course, it varies from woman to woman (just like the size of the bump before birth), general fitness level, whether it was a first pregnancy or 5th, etc.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
double post. :oops:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every woman's different. Her post-baby bump still looks very round and inflated to me. Mine was smaller, but I just looked fat!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1374695949|3489368 said:
I am sorry, Kenny. I interpreted your question in the worst light possible. Unfortunately, there are too many people out there criticizing her post baby figure and too many similar comments on other celebrity new mothers.

As previous posters have said, yes, that is normal. Of course, it varies from woman to woman (just like the size of the bump before birth), general fitness level, whether it was a first pregnancy or 5th, etc.

Thanks LD.
People who criticize women's body sizes should be ashamed.
I'm disgusted by the media and the fashion industry's constant pressure on women to look unrealistically thin, as I have repeatedly posted for 10 years here.

So, the bump's average.
Thanks everyone. :wavey:

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I think she looks fabulous and I commend her on not hiding her post-baby bump.

I don't have kids yet and this may be a poor comparison but when I ran a marathon my thigh muscles were swollen for two days afterward...certain pants did not fit properly. I can only imagine the work the body has gone through after having muscular contractions for hours, a swollen uterus...sheesh, Kate looks amazing. I can only hope that I would look as good after having a baby.

ETA: I think it's a good question, Kenny. I wondered that myself.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That style of dress will show off a bump more than a different style. Even a woman with a relatively flat stomach could look pregnant in that kind of a dress.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also commend Kate on that dress choice.
It's like she's saying, "Hey, I'm at peace with what is normal and natural. "
Kudos to Kate!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lady_Disdain|1374695409|3489362 said:

Yikes! I imagine that Kenny was asking because he probably was just curious and hasn't been around many women just a day or two post delivery. I know that I was shocked by all of the various stages my body went through both during and after pregnancy because I hadn't ever been around any pregnant women up until that time. And I was shocked by how my abdominal area looked after delivery, and how it changed over the next few weeks because I had no idea what to expect. It doesn't surprise me one bit that seeing these pics makes people curious about the parts of the process that aren't normally talked about.

No one has said anything negative about the clearly radiant new mama.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Kenny - The answer is yes and no! Yes because many women do have a bump like this, and no because there are those who also do not! Some simply have a little bit of flab, some have a smaller bump, some larger. I do think that every woman has some bit of something afterwards because the body has to adjust back down.

P.S. I think she looks radiant. I hope I look as lovely as her after childbirth.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
She's a public figure, so I don't see an issue with discussing the details of her life (including, but certainly not limited to, her body).
I've had children and I agree with ericad - I don't recall my post-baby belly being so firm. I had a belly, but it felt squishy, not firm and round. I was thin before, during (except for the belly), and after pregnancy, but I do recall feeling sort of like I had a "pregnant" belly for quite a while afterwards.
She really does look fabulous and I'd say that her belly is probably what would be considered "normal."

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1374696391|3489375 said:
That style of dress will show off a bump more than a different style. Even a woman with a relatively flat stomach could look pregnant in that kind of a dress.

Yes, this is true too. I could eat a full meal and look pregnant in that dress :razz:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Very normal. I still looked fully pregnant for a few days after birth (but it was squishy instead of hard). My step dad walked into my hospital room the day after and asked me if there was another baby inside :o

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She looks incredible! Some people leave the hospital with a bump, some without, some with a sagging "old man butt" tummy :lol: Really it's all normal and beautiful!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
My question is, how the heck is the WALKING out of the hospital in those shoes?? :shock: And look so clean?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another vote for "totally" normal.

As for the bump being firm or flabby, I can tell you that I had to get presentably dressed for my son's bris 8 days after his birth and I went into my closet and stupidly thought that I could wear my non-maternity pants!! I remember being SHOCKED that they didn't even get over my behind (and I only gained 19 lbs.--all in my tummy and was only 122 lbs. before getting pg)! Then I reached for a pair of maternity pants and a top I'd worn at about 20 weeks and they fit perfectly. I looked a lot like Kate did in terms of the belly (minus about 7 inches in height! :shock: ). In photos, the bump looked firm, but if had you touched my tummy, it was definitely a bit squishy. As for the heels she's wearing, all I can say is more power to her. Prior to the bris, I had needed no pain medication (despite some tearing), but after 6 hours on my feet in low heels (much lower than her wedges), I can tell you that I was in agony and had to excuse myself to take a couple pills and get off of my feet for a little while. I'm amazed that she looks so good less than 24 hours after delivery! She's amazing!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
choro72|1374700099|3489423 said:
My question is, how the heck is the WALKING out of the hospital in those shoes?? :shock: And look so clean?

I thought the same thing! I felt so sloppy and gross...between feeling fat, exhausted, dealing with the postpartum (ick) fun, no way I looked anywhere near that. Of course I don't have an entire team working for me to ensure I look like I'm ready for a night on the town :)

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
She has definitely developed some breasts. I wonder if the firm look of her tummy may have to do with wearing panty hose. You don't see her in public bare-legged, and I doubt yesterday was any exception. Control top pantyhose can work small miracles as far as smoothing goes.

I think she looks beautiful. Her dress is stylish, it fits her well, and it looks comfortable.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I think it's about average....After baby #1, my belly was flat the next day, but with baby #2, it stayed looking 6 months pregnant for the first month....was I worried? YES, especially since I had the exact opposite experience the first time. I asked my hubby to buy me an athletic girdle which helped cinch in the belly after baby #2.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenny I am so glad you asked. I was curious about this too. Have never been around newly delivered women or even pregnant women myself.

Thanks for posting this! :wavey:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
The belly looks average. Being upright, bathed, hair and make up done and real clothes on - very, very, very unusual. I honestly walked like a cowboy for a week. No, an elderly cowboy.

Smith1942|1374694929|3489358 said:
I think she's done very well in terms of her pregnancy figure. You can see that she has gained no weight anywhere except her stomach - where the weight is meant to be!

I wish it were this simple. I gained 20 pounds with my first pregnancy. My baby was almost 9 pounds so most of that was him! Yet I retained fluid everywhere. It wasn't that I was sitting on the couch eating chocolate. I ate very healthfully and exercised daily. Each pregnancy is really very different (so probably best not to make assumptions about pregnancy, especially around the extremely sensitive issues of weight and body size).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Responses indicate that women vary.
It's no crime to be curious about what's average, usual, or typical, especially when you honestly are not informed via your personal experience.

Everyone knows 'average' is not 100%.
Average can be as low as 50.000000001%.
Then again I'm not a statistician, so those better-informed are free to correct me.

Note, I've even avoided using the term 'normal' in this thread because, in many minds, normal carries connotations of good or superior.

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
I had the same size bump and way huge breasts too. I'm quite impressed that Kate showed herself in a normal post-pregnancy way to the whole world. It was hard for me to be wearing maternity pants for so many weeks after my delivery! And I only had to be seen by friends and family! My shape didn't go back to pre-pregnancy form and weight for about 10 or 11 months and I nursed for a year. Then the weight seemed to keep coming off though, and for a while I was even thinner than my pre-baby days.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results