shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Kate's post-delivery baby bump about average?

Is Kate's post-birth baby bump about average?

• Smaller than average

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Average

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • Larger than average

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
For the third time in this thread, I have said that Kate herself admitted the weight loss was intentional, in front of the cameras and it was widely reported. I have also said repeatedly in this thread that she was not this thin previously. Anyone with eyes can see the change in her, and it has been widely commented on, including in the quality press.

To repeat myself on another point, I did say above that before anyone jumps on me saying they eat cream cakes morning, noon and night yet are mysteriously a size triple zero, I said that while some people are naturally tiny, most are not, and most have to work at it in their thirties. Both Victoria Beckham and Kate were larger before global fame, although still slim by normal standards. I have already said all this in this thread.

So, this is another thread I'm going to bow out of because I'm getting tired of defending everything I say and having to repeat myself over and over. The fact is that before pregnancy was on the cards, Kate became very thin in a way that she wasn't before her engagement and anyone can see that from the pictures - did you see the link? Did you look at the pics I pointed out? You'd be hard-pressed to find a dietition or nutritionist would say that the woman in those pics is a healthy weight, especially not the last one I linked.

If this wasn't true to some extent, her weight loss would never have gained the widespread media attention that it did. I am not a lone voice in the wilderness here. You yourself said that she should expect scrutiny as a public figure, yet you don't like it when I do exactly that. There are people around that imply you can't say anything negative about Kate, just because she's royal. I, and many commentators, believe her weight loss became excessive, and personally I think it was silly of her to treat her body in that way. That's my opinion and I'm not the only one who thinks so about the excessiveness of the weight loss. Google it.

And about knowing, her, I don't know her but I know people who do. When I lived in Belgravia, Central London, my flatmate X had gone to school with Camilla's daughter, Laura. It was a boarding school called St. Mary's. Being Charles' step-daughter, Laura obviously knows Kate. X knows Laura, and I know X. We aren't in touch much since I came to the States. In addition, my old schoolfriend Emma knows them and went to the wedding because her husband is something impressive in the Army and he knows William through that. This is Emma's publicly-available shot of her at the wedding, in the front row, wearing the pink hat, next to her husband with all the medals:

https://www.facebook.com/ericha74

I repeat, this page is her public profile, not her private one, it's open to the public and anyone the world over with access to a computer can see it, so don't jump on me for posting it.

And no, I don't have any inside info about Kate at all, and if I did I wouldn't share it. Everything I've said in this thread has been widely reported or discussed in the press - just google.

That's me done with this thread. Carry on! :wavey:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I met Kate's personal hairdresser. That's about as close as I get. :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to the wedding of the head gamekeeper of Sandringham Estate in summer 2006 & William was there :sun:
But not the very delicious Prince Harry. Goodness knows how I would have drooled if he was, even though I was with my new boyfriend & best friend of the groom at the time! (Now my husband. And said head gamekeeper & wife came to my wedding in 2007, but sadly not Wills or Harry :nono: )

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, was he tall? I've heard he's about six foot three.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting that CNN also reports much of what I've learned in this thread ....

(CNN) -- When the Duchess of Cambridge revealed her newborn son to the world, she also unashamedly showed off her prominent post-baby bump. Moms around the world praised her for not hiding what women's bodies look like after giving birth.

"Kate shows what a real mum looks like -- and natural is beautiful," Siobhan Freegard of the Netmums website told the Daily Mail.

Unlike many celebrities would lead us to believe, a woman rarely emerges from childbirth free of her extra pregnancy pounds. Even women who gained a healthy amount of weight during pregnancy will have some to lose after going home from the hospital, experts say.

Immediately after childbirth, the uterus is still the size it was when a 20-week fetus was inside, says Dr. Gregory Fountain, OB/GYN at Emory Johns Creek Obstetrics and Gynecology near Atlanta. It takes about six weeks for it to shrink down to its normal size, he says.

Women typically gain between 25 and 35 pounds during pregnancy, and a lot of it does come out during birth, Fountain says. Depending on the size of the baby, the amount of fluid and the weight of the placenta, the amount lost in childbirth generally equals 10 to 12 pounds.

More: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/25/health/royal-baby-bump/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think someone else posted here, and I had heard before, to expect to look like you did at 5 months after giving birth. The uterus is a muscle but it is all stretched out holding not just the baby but the amniotic fluid and placenta. It takes time to reduce in size. After giving birth I still wore my maternity jeans for at least a month, probably more, though I was sick to death of them.

Despite knowing all that a couple months after having my first baby I went to Target to get new clothes for my post pregnancy body, especially as I wore much of my regular clothing and it was all stretched out. It was the first time I had seen my body in a full length mirror since being pregnant. Even though I'm not a superficial person I think I actually cried in the dressing room, seeing my body as wrecked and ruined. Oddly I didn't feel that at all during pregnancy (I loved being pregnant, was happy on pregnancy hormones or something). It wasn't wrecked, but my hip size has always been wider since giving birth and nothing quite the same.

I don't regret a thing, but I'm glad that she did this, to give people a picture of reality.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1374781643|3490176 said:
For the third time in this thread, I have said that Kate herself admitted the weight loss was intentional, in front of the cameras and it was widely reported. I have also said repeatedly in this thread that she was not this thin previously. Anyone with eyes can see the change in her, and it has been widely commented on, including in the quality press.

To repeat myself on another point, I did say above that before anyone jumps on me saying they eat cream cakes morning, noon and night yet are mysteriously a size triple zero, I said that while some people are naturally tiny, most are not, and most have to work at it in their thirties. Both Victoria Beckham and Kate were larger before global fame, although still slim by normal standards. I have already said all this in this thread.

So, this is another thread I'm going to bow out of because I'm getting tired of defending everything I say and having to repeat myself over and over. The fact is that before pregnancy was on the cards, Kate became very thin in a way that she wasn't before her engagement and anyone can see that from the pictures - did you see the link? Did you look at the pics I pointed out? You'd be hard-pressed to find a dietition or nutritionist would say that the woman in those pics is a healthy weight, especially not the last one I linked.

If this wasn't true to some extent, her weight loss would never have gained the widespread media attention that it did. I am not a lone voice in the wilderness here. You yourself said that she should expect scrutiny as a public figure, yet you don't like it when I do exactly that. There are people around that imply you can't say anything negative about Kate, just because she's royal. I, and many commentators, believe her weight loss became excessive, and personally I think it was silly of her to treat her body in that way. That's my opinion and I'm not the only one who thinks so about the excessiveness of the weight loss. Google it.

And about knowing, her, I don't know her but I know people who do. When I lived in Belgravia, Central London, my flatmate X had gone to school with Camilla's daughter, Laura. It was a boarding school called St. Mary's. Being Charles' step-daughter, Laura obviously knows Kate. X knows Laura, and I know X. We aren't in touch much since I came to the States. In addition, my old schoolfriend Emma knows them and went to the wedding because her husband is something impressive in the Army and he knows William through that. This is Emma's publicly-available shot of her at the wedding, in the front row, wearing the pink hat, next to her husband with all the medals:

https://www.facebook.com/ericha74

I repeat, this page is her public profile, not her private one, it's open to the public and anyone the world over with access to a computer can see it, so don't jump on me for posting it.

And no, I don't have any inside info about Kate at all, and if I did I wouldn't share it. Everything I've said in this thread has been widely reported or discussed in the press - just google.

That's me done with this thread. Carry on! :wavey:

I know that you've left this thread, but I just wanted to say that there's really no need to get defensive. My comments were made with all due respect and I wasn't "jumping" on you - I simply didn't agree with some of your commentary. We can agree to disagree and move on :)

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I was very tired today and became impatient, and now I'm putting out my own fires all over the shop! Thanks for your understanding above :wavey:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Kate looked ABOVE AVERAGE, leaving the hospital. Bless her for signing on to lead a Royal life. This is what I looked like 3 days after birth last year:

Yup, my belly was still big, my face and limbs were still bloated, and my hair wasn't professionally blown out. Kate looks AMAZING in all her post partum pics so far, and she's wearing designer clothing that's being touted in every single fashion mag or blog out there! I hope she gets some rest.

nikon_110.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1374806510|3490513 said:
Sorry, I was very tired today and became impatient, and now I'm putting out my own fires all over the shop! Thanks for your understanding above :wavey:

No worries, smith - I'm glad that we could come to an understanding =)

Lula

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1374821439|3490597 said:
I think Kate looked ABOVE AVERAGE, leaving the hospital. Bless her for signing on to lead a Royal life. This is what I looked like 3 days after birth last year:

Yup, my belly was still big, my face and limbs were still bloated, and my hair wasn't professionally blown out. Kate looks AMAZING in all her post partum pics so far, and she's wearing designer clothing that's being touted in every single fashion mag or blog out there! I hope she gets some rest.

I think you look great! And very happy and radiant.

I have to say, I am so glad Kate's pre-pregnancy tummy has sparked this conversation, not only here, but on news sites as well. I don't have children, and the women of my generation all dressed like Diana pre- and post-birth (oversized mu-mu-style dresses), so I had no idea how long a woman's body takes to return to "normal" after birth until I read this thread. So thank you to all the PSers who've shared their post-pregnancy stories.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, Kenny, I think a lot of the celebs use surrogates and pregnancy padding.

When I got pregnant with my first, I weighed 108 lbs. After the birth, I still weighed 125 lbs and my tummy was puffy. I gained exactly 30 lbs while pregnant, and it took a year to get back to pre-prenancy weight.

Here's a fun fact, to boggle your non-breeder mind, Kenny: breastfeeding causes the uterine muscles to contract. You can actually feel them contracting, it's very weird. Brings the tummy back into shape a lot quicker. Small consolation since breastfeeding hurts like hell. Very sensitive area + tugging and stretching = ouch! Take about 3 weeks for things to toughen up and stop hurting.

I could go on, but I think you're grossed out enough . . . :D

Mother's Day should be Mother's Week!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1374848715|3490755 said:
Honestly, Kenny, I think a lot of the celebs use surrogates and pregnancy padding.

When I got pregnant with my first, I weighed 108 lbs. After the birth, I still weighed 125 lbs and my tummy was puffy. I gained exactly 30 lbs while pregnant, and it took a year to get back to pre-prenancy weight.

Here's a fun fact, to boggle your non-breeder mind, Kenny: breastfeeding causes the uterine muscles to contract. You can actually feel them contracting, it's very weird. Brings the tummy back into shape a lot quicker. Small consolation since breastfeeding hurts like hell. Very sensitive area + tugging and stretching = ouch! Take about 3 weeks for things to toughen up and stop hurting.

I have to disagree that a lot of celebs use pregnancy padding & surrogates. I'm not saying that it's never happened, but to say that it happens a lot is probably not true. Some women don't have much difficulty getting back to pre-baby weight (I didn't), especially if they are physically fit before pregnancy (like many celebs are). Not to mention the fact that many celebs have money to throw at professional help (like personal training, personal chefs, etc.). While celebs may not be the norm, lots of average moms (non-celebs) end up looking just as good (and sometimes better!) after having babies.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

You look radiant, pretty, and happy :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You don't know me.
What is natural is the opposite of gross.
I feel nature is beautiful.

What is gross to me is what's not natural ... a 50 year old clinging onto looking 25 ... trying to look like you were never pregnant a day after giving birth ... etc.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
momhappy|1374976917|3491670 said:

I have to disagree that a lot of celebs use pregnancy padding & surrogates. I'm not saying that it's never happened, but to say that it happens a lot is probably not true. Some women don't have much difficulty getting back to pre-baby weight (I didn't), especially if they are physically fit before pregnancy (like many celebs are). Not to mention the fact that many celebs have money to throw at professional help (like personal training, personal chefs, etc.). While celebs may not be the norm, lots of average moms (non-celebs) end up looking just as good (and sometimes better!) after having babies.

I'm going to ditto this.....

People always hate me when I say this, but I actually didnt diet or exercise after having my baby (actually havent worked out ever) and my stomach is flat, and I actually weighed less 3 months post baby, than I did before I got pregnant. My jeans were back on at 5 weeks, and all of my clothes fit. I think a lot of it has to do with how you are pre-baby. I've always been skinny, and luckily minus a little more gravity on the "twins", everything else is intact. lol. I find it funny how everyone always talks about how great stars, or more so victoria secret's models, look during and after pregnancy. It actually shouldnt be too much of a shock, because their body types pre-baby were so slim and fit. I also do think though that having the income for a personal trainer and a personal chef making sure you eat properly (when most new moms eat whatever's quickest and easiest) makes a huge difference as well. Anyone can look fantastic that quick with a team of people helping you.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Monarch64 - you look absolutely gorgeous in that pic, despite all the self-criticism! I'd be ecstatic if I looked like that three days post-partum. You've got lovely long dark hair and you've managed to find a pretty top and a SKIRT! I'd be in my maternity jeans and husband's T-shirt. :lol:

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
momhappy|1374779357|3490140 said:
hippi_pixi|1374720046|3489666 said:
i loved Kate's bravery being seen within 24 hours of the birth knowing that the whole world would be looking and judging and that her post pregnancy body would be on the front of newspapers around the world. and do to so in a gorgeous short summer dress not hiding in a mumu. I take my hat off to her. Most new mums in the public eye go into hiding until they get they've got their prebaby body back and then do a big reveal like they never had the baby at all.

On Kenny's topic i had no idea what a post baby bump looked like but thanks to kate now i do and will pack my hospital bag accordingly :razz:

Bravery? She married a Prince and became a princess. Part of her duty is to be seen. I don't see it as brave at all. I see it as a requirement of her title. Anyone who willingly enters into fame, knows what the requirements will be for maintaining that status. Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking the Princess. I actually adore her and think that she's lovely. I'm just saying that her public appearance had nothing to do with bravery (at least in my opinion).
Some of the comments in this thread are a little surprising to me. It's as though it's a giant miracle that a woman has given birth and is seen in public afterwards. Sure, labor and delivery is hard work, but for many of us (with no major complications), we recover fairly quickly and move on with life (because women are tough). Women are not these delicate creatures that have to remain bed-ridden for days after childbirth. Having said that, I understand that pregnancy and delivery are different for each and every woman. I can appreciate the fact that some women have longer recovery periods than others (for various reasons) and that's fine too. I'm just saying that some of us were up and about and looking pretty normal after having babies. Maybe we weren't looking as gorgeous as Kate, but she's naturally gorgeous and has professional help to get gorgeous :)

I simply meant the timing was brave. Tell me if i'm wrong but didn't Diana wait a week until she came out in public? I know for a fact that celebritys stay in hiding for up to 6months before being seen by the public. I haven't given birth personally so i can only assume. Pretty sure i will still be feeling gross and tired after 24hrs and would only see immediate family but on a scale of weak women to strong women i'm a wuss!

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock

You look stunning! If i look half as good as you after birth i will count myself lucky.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
hippi_pixi|1375093363|3492291 said:
momhappy|1374779357|3490140 said:
hippi_pixi|1374720046|3489666 said:
i loved Kate's bravery being seen within 24 hours of the birth knowing that the whole world would be looking and judging and that her post pregnancy body would be on the front of newspapers around the world. and do to so in a gorgeous short summer dress not hiding in a mumu. I take my hat off to her. Most new mums in the public eye go into hiding until they get they've got their prebaby body back and then do a big reveal like they never had the baby at all.

On Kenny's topic i had no idea what a post baby bump looked like but thanks to kate now i do and will pack my hospital bag accordingly :razz:

Bravery? She married a Prince and became a princess. Part of her duty is to be seen. I don't see it as brave at all. I see it as a requirement of her title. Anyone who willingly enters into fame, knows what the requirements will be for maintaining that status. Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking the Princess. I actually adore her and think that she's lovely. I'm just saying that her public appearance had nothing to do with bravery (at least in my opinion).
Some of the comments in this thread are a little surprising to me. It's as though it's a giant miracle that a woman has given birth and is seen in public afterwards. Sure, labor and delivery is hard work, but for many of us (with no major complications), we recover fairly quickly and move on with life (because women are tough). Women are not these delicate creatures that have to remain bed-ridden for days after childbirth. Having said that, I understand that pregnancy and delivery are different for each and every woman. I can appreciate the fact that some women have longer recovery periods than others (for various reasons) and that's fine too. I'm just saying that some of us were up and about and looking pretty normal after having babies. Maybe we weren't looking as gorgeous as Kate, but she's naturally gorgeous and has professional help to get gorgeous :)

I simply meant the timing was brave. Tell me if i'm wrong but didn't Diana wait a week until she came out in public? I know for a fact that celebritys stay in hiding for up to 6months before being seen by the public. I haven't given birth personally so i can only assume. Pretty sure i will still be feeling gross and tired after 24hrs and would only see immediate family but on a scale of weak women to strong women i'm a wuss!

Wow - I don't know who's staying in "hiding" for 6 months after giving birth, but that's absurd to me. Again, I realize that we all heal and handle these sorts of things differently, but I saw/felt nothing that would make me want to hide :confused: I'm not bashing anyone who stays home after giving birth - to each their own - it just wasn't my, personal experience with pregnancy and/or childbirth. I've always been pretty active though. The only thing that really slowed me down in terms of having babies, is the childcare issue. When I had babies, I didn't have a lot of childcare because I just wasn't comfortable leaving my kid(s) with someone else. If I slowed down in any way, it was out of the necessity and desire to stay home and raise my own kids. I'm still that way (overprotective), but it has gotten easier as they've gotten older.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm a pretty skinny person with low BMI, but my baby bump didn't go away until five months after I had my baby. I seriously had a bump like Kate's for at least four months, and I was breastfeeding round the clock. :) So everyone is different, I guess. I wish all the new moms out there health, happiness and sleep!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Yes, if she was not induced with pitocin. Without pitocin, it usually takes 6-8 weeks. Sometimes getting your stomach completely to its original state takes some additional effort, but the uterus is usually close to its fully shrunken size by 2 months. That is for most people. Everyone is different.

I feel badly for Kate. Imagine having to put on a show one day after having the size of a small watermelon come out of your body. Horrible.

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
L&D nurse here. Her belly looks very average to me.

It isn't actually the uterus that keeps the belly round after delivery, it's just all the stretched out skin, fat, and muscle. If you poke this belly, it isn't uterus taking up the space... its just... abdominal contents. The uterus (in a healthy woman) is well contracted and by 2-3 days postpartum, already sitting a few fingers below the belly button and tucked nearly inside the pelvis. By 10 days postpartum the uterus can no longer be palpated using your hand. Kate may have had a substantial stretch/separation of her abdominal muscles, leading to a more loose, rounder belly. For women who are very fit prior to pregnancy with tight abdominals, they may have a smaller post-delivery tummy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results