shape
carat
color
clarity

Is JCrew Cashmere any good?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is JCrew's cashmere crappy? Do their cashmere pieces hold up through a season or two?

I normally don't do much with it because I find it hellaciously itchy without it being over say a long sleeve tshirt. But I saw an item on JCrew's site a while back that I have been lurking over for a while, and it's to me ridiculously expensive, and not one single coupon code I've gotten so far since discovering this item has worked on this stupid thing. It's always excluded, even from the code right now. Gah!

Anyway...I have purchased and usually returned just about every item of cashmere I've ever bought from the least expensive to the most expensive, exception of one, which contains I think 10% cashmere and 90% everything else. It's the only one that doesn't give me the itch fits. I also didn't really realize you weren't supposed to hang it...I hang like...everything of mine besides pj's and underwear.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot personally vouch for the quality of J. Crew cashmere. I've been on a merino wool kick for the past few years and actually even have a set of base layers (long underwear) made of merino wool. I digress.

The problem with mid-range cashmere and why it makes you itch has to do with the fiber quality. The longer and finer the goat hair, the softer and more expensive the yarn/garment. The shorter, thicker hairs are used in most mid-priced garments, and guess what? They make you itch.

J. Crew says their cashmere is milled in Italy. That's great, but there is no indication of fiber quality, so you really wouldn't know until you tried something on. As far as garment construction, the yarn might be milled in Italy, but they may use a Chinese manufacturer to mass-produce and who knows what the quality is.

I'd try to find out what quality fiber they use. That'll give you the best idea of how much (super soft or super scratchy) bang you'll get for your buck. Here's a great article that outlines a lot of reasons why you might be unhappy with cheaper cashmere:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-01-17/features/1001140333_1_cashmere-camel-hair-manufacturers-institute-mongolian-goat

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1385001031|3560254 said:
I cannot personally vouch for the quality of J. Crew cashmere. I've been on a merino wool kick for the past few years and actually even have a set of base layers (long underwear) made of merino wool. I digress.

The problem with mid-range cashmere and why it makes you itch has to do with the fiber quality. The longer and finer the goat hair, the softer and more expensive the yarn/garment. The shorter, thicker hairs are used in most mid-priced garments, and guess what? They make you itch.

J. Crew says their cashmere is milled in Italy. That's great, but there is no indication of fiber quality, so you really wouldn't know until you tried something on. As far as garment construction, the yarn might be milled in Italy, but they may use a Chinese manufacturer to mass-produce and who knows what the quality is.

I'd try to find out what quality fiber they use. That'll give you the best idea of how much (super soft or super scratchy) bang you'll get for your buck. Here's a great article that outlines a lot of reasons why you might be unhappy with cheaper cashmere:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-01-17/features/1001140333_1_cashmere-camel-hair-manufacturers-institute-mongolian-goat
Good to know! I tried on some stuff at saks...I wanna say TSE? Something INSANELY pricey and thought surely it would be better and not itchy because of that pricepoint...Nope.

Im not good with Merino Wool though either. Just about any of those things in that vein require me to layer something under it that covers my skin.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never liked their thin cashmere. Balls up super fast and not that soft. Thicker is ok. If you want really soft, try Tse. Not tsesay though! Good luck.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
EVERYTHING makes me itch ... but I found a lightweight (very pricey) cardigan at Marina Rinaldi last season that is wool but somehow magically soft & warm & NOT itchy. I wish I knew their secret but even if I did I wouldn't be able to purchase more than one in a blue moon.

I bought one cashmere article this season (after years w/o) -- a garnet hill turtleneck with button detail and so far it's pretty itch-free. Not perfect. But manageable.

Let us know if you find anything that works for you! I'm all ears!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I had a JCrew cashmere sweater but can't seem to find it.

I really like the JCrew merino wool sweaters though and find them not itchy. They make up the vast majority of my winter sweater-shirt collection.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I have a few pieces, most held up, but one became fuzzy quickly. Luckily it fuzzed all over, so it weirdly and conveniently looked like it was supposed to be that way.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I suck it up and buy it I will let you know how I feel about it's quality. It's an "online only" item which is a drama for a different day, but if I get a good code that finally works I might just go for it. The lack of regular "wash in cold water and hang dry" is a little hard for me to handle. Hopefully I can hack this, all these dang rules.

I own a gazillion cardis, and almost all are actually the basic old navy crewneck. They're soft, they last me forever, and they come in a million colors.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have sensitive skin, and do OK with wool blend pieces like wool/acrylic blends. To me when I have seen the cashmere pieces in person (department store level), they do not seem worth the price because they are thin (often see-through thin!) and not particularly soft. Rather have a soft cotton or wool blend sweater instead.

I do think wraps or scarfs, accessories work better for that "thin" look.

Looks like the men's cashmere may be a better bet

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-reviews/clothing/cashmere-sweater-reviews/

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
part gypsy|1385048431|3560546 said:
Looks like the men's cashmere may be a better bet
That's really interesting. I had two men's Bananna Republic big slouchy turtleneck sweaters that lasted 12+ years. Just donated them last year during Hurricane Sandy. And this year I almost regretted that! As suddenly I wanted a big slouchy turtleneck again and had to pony up $. :tongue:

Curious which sweater you're eyeing, Ame. But you don't have to say obvies. This has been a really good season of clothes in my opinion. My sisters & I trade emails & texts almost everyday w/something new we're wanting. GAH. But I really have to quit indulging & concentrate on *earning* $ instead of spending it. Double GAHHHHH.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding the care issue: you can just lay the sweater flat to dry either on a towel on a flat surface or you can drape it over a drying rack. In our laundry room there is a very thick round wooden bar, kind of like a shower rod, and I hand my sweaters over it to dry. I have a few fine guage merino sweater vests and sweaters from JC and Patagonia that do fine on the delicate cycle in a lingerie bag (cold water only!!!) and those have fared quite well over the years.

I have 2 pairs of Ibex Izzy wool pants and do the same with them. Also, they aren't itchy whatsoever. They're stretchy and the drape is amazing. Best black and Greg pants I've ever owned. New Zealand merino is awesome. Ibex actually bought a bunch of land in Montana a couple years ago, brought the sheep over here and now everything is farmed, milled, and assembled in North America. Absolutely love their stuff.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*grey* Stupid phone won't let me edit my post!

Pendleton and Brooks Bros. are two other avenues you might explore.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL I will maybe wait til AFTER I buy it. Im already nervous its gonna sell out before I can get it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1385057840|3560701 said:
LOL I will maybe wait til AFTER I buy it. Im already nervous its gonna sell out before I can get it.

Message Jenna Lyons on twitter and tell her to hold one for you! :lol:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1385062636|3560757 said:
ame|1385057840|3560701 said:

Message Jenna Lyons on twitter and tell her to hold one for you! :lol:
I don't have QUITE that much influence. But it's worth a shot.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I have 3 J Crew cashmere sweaters and I love them. They do pill a little but not more than other cashmere sweaters of a similar thickness and gauge. I've worn them next to my bare skin and they don't itch.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I haven't tried J Crew cashmere, but I personally find their clothing "disposable". Every single sweater I have ever purchased had a hole within the first year. This with me babying it! I refuse to pay their price tag to end up with subpar quality!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
April20|1385071253|3560875 said:
I haven't tried J Crew cashmere, but I personally find their clothing "disposable". Every single sweater I have ever purchased had a hole within the first year. This with me babying it! I refuse to pay their price tag to end up with subpar quality!

That sucks! I live in Seattle and wear my J Crew cashmere cardigans year-round and they've held up well. I've had one of them since 2006 and the others since 2009.

I do think their cashmere is overpriced though, so I've only bought when it's on sale.

Edit: Not sure this is the right thread for it, but I've been a little obsessed with this company for basics: https://www.everlane.com/ - they have cashmere too. I'm thinking about buying one around X'mas.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had given up on cashmere because I'd get welts and rashes (even really high end stuff), but for some reason Lord and Taylor's cashmere works for me. Whatever that works.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
So thanks to a 25% off almost everything code I just got "GETGIFTING" is the code, I just bought the hoodie...In Navy because I am boring as hell.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1385411723|3562701 said:
So thanks to a 25% off almost everything code I just got "GETGIFTING" is the code, I just bought the hoodie...In Navy because I am boring as hell.

I think it's cute. If you want to be not boring you could get the cashmere Collection pj's for $1200. HAHAHAHAHA I saw those and just laughed...and laughed...and. :shock:

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
I have recently become obsessed with Merino wool. I have been getting a few things from Smart Wool and Ice Breaker. I just ordered a cardi from Ice Breaker and the wool does not feel like the typical sweater. It almost feels like a super soft cotton and not wool. Totally recommend.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1385413185|3562716 said:

I think it's cute. If you want to be not boring you could get the cashmere Collection pj's for $1200. HAHAHAHAHA I saw those and just laughed...and laughed...and. :shock:

Monnie, I know the feeling. I was in Brooks Brothers a couple months ago and there was this GORGEOUS men's cashmere jacket. Now I know their prices are high but my eyes about popped out of my head. I thought they'd made a mistake about the decimal.

Never gonna happen.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OneFifty|1385422129|3562827 said:
I have recently become obsessed with Merino wool. I have been getting a few things from Smart Wool and Ice Breaker. I just ordered a cardi from Ice Breaker and the wool does not feel like the typical sweater. It almost feels like a super soft cotton and not wool. Totally recommend.

Look at Ibex as well. I love SW and IB, but Ibex has changed production to all U.S. made and their quality is amazing. I'm currently wearing an IB long sleeved black base layer and flannel pj bottoms for bed and am so comfy! I wore the top under a merino Patagonia sweater all day with Ibex merino Izzy pants and Keen merino socks. The temp here hit a high of 30 degrees Fahrenheit. I was comfortable all day, and no itch whatsoever.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1385422519|3562833 said:
monarch64|1385413185|3562716 said:

Monnie, I know the feeling. I was in Brooks Brothers a couple months ago and there was this GORGEOUS men's cashmere jacket. Now I know their prices are high but my eyes about popped out of my head. I thought they'd made a mistake about the decimal.

Never gonna happen.

BBros does a lot of Scottish cashmere...I'm not sure what the difference is exactly, but the width and length of the hair I know has a lot to do with how fine the actual yarn is, hence the cost. You really get what you pay for, I think, unless you have a designer label that just normally commands a higher price. But J. Crew cashmere jammies for $1200? Really? That just seems insane to me. Even BBros. costs seem inflated and that's a brand that's been around forjustever.

My professor of Textiles (and also my advisor) in college was an older lady who used to source the very best cashmere and alpaca yarns with which to knit scarves and sweaters. She made some beautiful things but back then I really had no idea just how exotic and luxurious those pieces truly were.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know some idiot bought more than one pair of those too.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
AWESOME!!!! :appl: Navy's so classic. (Perhaps since I had to wear a navy uniform as a kid) I've not been a huge fan over time but this year I'm actually obsessed with it. How great & minimal it looks with jeans, chambray, even black. Hope you LOVE!

I splurged on this black turtleneck earlier this season (w/a coupon code too) -- at the urging of my sisters. And haven't regretted it so far! http://www.garnethill.com/button-detail-cashmere-t-neck-sweater/womens-fashion/cashmere-shop/318775

Congrats!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deco, that turtleneck is really pretty. I like the flowy shape and the button detail on the side. Also, I think you need the hat the model in the grey sweater is wearing. Very cute.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope I do too, they supposedly have 30% off now, but Im not going to rebuy. I am happy with 25% lol!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got it today and it's pretty nice. My cheap side says I should send it back, my DH said it looks great, and to keep it/rebuy it at the slightly lower price (which I did), and when I get the other one decide then. It saved me like $15 more bucks rebuying it, but it's still SO EXPENSIVE. I didn't feel itchy, I tried it on first over another thin sweater and cami to make sure I had "wiggle room" and then when I was sure it fit ok (buttoned it pulled in my boobs, but EVERYTHING does, and I wouldn't wear it buttoned anyway), then I tried it over the cami alone for itch testing. It feels REALLY soft.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results