shape
carat
color
clarity

is it too early to talk about Halloween?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Halloween!

I know its not October yet but whats everyone doing?

I have an old long faux coat and an old TH polo dress so ive decided to go as Margot Tenenbaum (if im allowed to go out by then)

my husband has a big ol bushy ready beard hes been cultivating over the pregnancy (he always has one but usually he trims it), so he will be Cornelius from the land of misfit toys.

DD has a susuwatari hat someone made her, so i think she will just be getting furry boots and a furry dress and going as that.

We have a big orange front door i am thinking of putting a jack-o-lantern face on, and my hubby wants us to put up the x mas tree and make Halloween ornaments for it. It makes sense as we have a bright orange x mas tree.

do you guys do anything cool? I love looking at pinterest halloween stuff but no one does it around us in RL

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Halloween too!

Your costumes sound awesome and I hope you pics!

When I lived in my townhouse I started the tradition of the Giant Pumpkin Carving In My Garage Party. I would get the biggest pumpkin I could find up in Wisconsin a few weeks prior (we always go up for Columbus Day Weekend), put it in the two car garage on a big plastic tarp, open the door, and have loads of people over. Snacky food and canned beer only (learned that lesson the hard way one year... beer bottles falling on the concrete garage floor shatter like CRAZY!) and a good time is had by all! The kids get to draw on the pumpkin but ultimately an adult has to cut it with an electric saw becuase the walls of such a big pumpkin get so thick (two years ago the pumpkin was over 150 lbs and we had to use a knife in addition to the saw because the blade didn't go the whole way through!).

This year I'm reinveting the event as the Giant Pumpkin Carving In My Parking Lot Party becuase I only have outdoor spots now and no garage. Some of my old friends will come and I'll make some new ones in the building I've moved into. I'm really looking forward to it!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1410993720|3752751 said:
I love Halloween too!

When I lived in my townhouse I started the tradition of the Giant Pumpkin Carving In My Garage Party. I would get the biggest pumpkin I could find up in Wisconsin a few weeks prior (we always go up for Columbus Day Weekend), put it in the two car garage on a big plastic tarp, open the door, and have loads of people over. Snacky food and canned beer only (learned that lesson the hard way one year... beer bottles falling on the concrete garage floor shatter like CRAZY!) and a good time is had by all! The kids get to draw on the pumpkin but ultimately an adult has to cut it with an electric saw becuase the walls of such a big pumpkin get so thick (two years ago the pumpkin was over 150 lbs and we had to use a knife in addition to the saw because the blade didn't go the whole way through!).

This year I'm reinveting the event as the Giant Pumpkin Carving In My Parking Lot Party becuase I only have outdoor spots now and no garage. Some of my old friends will come and I'll make some new ones in the building I've moved into. I'm really looking forward to it!

That sounds amazing. Do you still live up north? Iive in Michigan. I wonder if people in the south (where there is less of an obvious Autumn change) love it as much. You'd think, at least its actually WARM on Halloween. Instead of wearing sweaters over your costumes.

Do you have any idea of costumes or do you have no reason to dress up?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I am seriously considering painting B purple, putting purple stuff in his hair and spiking it up all crazy, and then putting him in black overalls...any guess as to what he would be?

(an evil minion)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1410996762|3752784 said:
I am seriously considering painting B purple, putting purple stuff in his hair and spiking it up all crazy, and then putting him in black overalls...any guess as to what he would be?

(an evil minion)
Bah toddler costumes are my favorite!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not too early. I was just thinking I need to get out my fall/Halloween stuff and make the house fit the season.

Our 5th annual Pumpkin Carving Party will be in October. We make chili, cornbread, and hot apple cider. It's been a smashing success every year and is by far my favorite of our gatherings. Roasting the seeds after the carvings are complete is one of the best parts.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1410997580|3752797 said:
Our 5th annual Pumpkin Carving Party will be in October. We make chili, cornbread, and hot apple cider. It's been a smashing success every year and is by far my favorite of our gatherings.

You said pumpkin and smashing in the same post. :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1410997971|3752800 said:
monarch64|1410997580|3752797 said:
Our 5th annual Pumpkin Carving Party will be in October. We make chili, cornbread, and hot apple cider. It's been a smashing success every year and is by far my favorite of our gatherings.

You said pumpkin and smashing in the same post. :lol:

Ha! I didn't even realize I did that. Nice catch!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw orange oreos today. Not too soon!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not too soon. I love halloween! Candy, costumes and happy kids. What's better? Oh, and black cats and keeping with that theme look at the pic I just took of Francesca. I took it because it seems as if she is levitating off the granite if you don't look too closely lol. How timely.

frankielevitating.jpg

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
These cat eyes are super cool. Lowe's had them in orange and also green. They are sold various places. If I had a rec room with a bar, the orange version of these would be hanging over my bar. The lights in them are sequenced, individual lights light up sequentially in one eye and then it repeats with the other one. I'm unsure what the pattern is.
http://www.target.com/p/jumbo-lit-eyes-halloween-lawn-decor/-/A-15419751#prodSlot=_1_26
http://www.walmart.com/ip/38559079?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227026562074&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=55385700489&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=87886706409&veh=sem

_22504.jpg

orangeeye.jpg

orangeeye2.jpg

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1411001719|3752838 said:
Not too soon. I love halloween! Candy, costumes and happy kids. What's better? Oh, and black cats and keeping with that theme look at the pic I just took of Francesca. I took it because it seems as if she is levitating off the granite if you don't look too closely lol. How timely.

Missy, This picture doesn't even look real. Too cute! I love it!!!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
My little voodoo princess charging her batteries for Black Cat Month. hehe. She truly is witchy, but I love her.

voodoo.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1410996427|3752779 said:
Dee*Jay|1410993720|3752751 said:
I love Halloween too!

That sounds amazing. Do you still live up north? Iive in Michigan. I wonder if people in the south (where there is less of an obvious Autumn change) love it as much. You'd think, at least its actually WARM on Halloween. Instead of wearing sweaters over your costumes.

Do you have any idea of costumes or do you have no reason to dress up?

I live in Chicago so there is definitely a change of seasons come Halloween! That seasonal shift really registers with me for some reason. One year I spent nine months on a job assignment in LA and that whole time is a blur because it was always the same weather day after day. It passed from spring to summer to fall to winter and I never even realized it...

My costume is the most boring thing in the world... about 15 years ago I got a FABULOUS witch's hat at Walmart and I trot that thing out every year. I even transported it carefully down to KC with me, it resided in the back of my SUV the entire time I was there, and it got transported back. I know how crazy that sounds but there are *feathers* on the brim and I don't want it to get ruined! There is a pic of me somewhere wearing it while The Demon and I were handing out candy one year. I'll see if I can find the photo.

I'm so glad you started this thread! Now I'm really looking forward to Halloween and my getto in-the-parking-lot party -- HA! You are officially invited!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I love Halloween, heck i got pregnant and planned most of my pregnancy around having an October baby so we can do birthday Halloween parties and she indulged me to come 3 weeks early and be born on Halloween. how is that for really loving a holiday :lol:

I'm semi bummed that in Europe we can't take the kids trick or treating and do lots of our typically traditions. however we are doing our best. And yes we have already broken out the Halloween decorations and started to put them up! It is NEVER too early for Oct 31st in my household!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1411002123|3752847 said:

LOL I know. I cropped it so you have a closer view but before I cropped it the picture looked even more unreal. It truly looked as if Francesca was levitating but after I cropped it you can see the edge of the granite so less mystical but still cool. I love her glowy eyes...ooooh scary. :-o 8-)

SB621|1411031483|3753022 said:
I love Halloween, heck i got pregnant and planned most of my pregnancy around having an October baby so we can do birthday Halloween parties and she indulged me to come 3 weeks early and be born on Halloween. how is that for really loving a holiday :lol:

I'm semi bummed that in Europe we can't take the kids trick or treating and do lots of our typically traditions. however we are doing our best. And yes we have already broken out the Halloween decorations and started to put them up! It is NEVER too early for Oct 31st in my household!

Hey Sarah, my mom is a Halloween baby too! Her birthdays always involves halloween themes and are lots of fun. Your daughter must love being a Halloween baby...everyone celebrates. :appl:

Maybe because no one celebrates the holiday in Europe you can throw a Halloween themed costume birthday party for your daughter?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy said:
Calliecake|1411002123|3752847 said:

LOL I know. I cropped it so you have a closer view but before I cropped it the picture looked even more unreal. It truly looked as if Francesca was levitating but after I cropped it you can see the edge of the granite so less mystical but still cool. I love her glowy eyes...ooooh scary. :-o 8-)

SB621|1411031483|3753022 said:

Hey Sarah, my mom is a Halloween baby too! Her birthdays always involves halloween themes and are lots of fun. Your daughter must love being a Halloween baby...everyone celebrates. :appl:

Maybe because no one celebrates the holiday in Europe you can throw a Halloween themed costume birthday party for your daughter?
I would totally do that if she wants a party. Make it a costume party and if you happen to have to dress up too,so be it ;-)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Such pretty black kitties!!!!

I want these guys for my front steps -- I'd LOVE to have 'em lounging around there.

$200 makes them a luxury, sigh.

_22509.jpg

glitterkitteh

Rough_Rock
NO!!! It's never too early to talk about Halloween!!! It is my favorite 'holiday' and Fall, in general, is my favorite season.
I love looking at halloween decorations, watching cheesy specials on tv and all the themed events happening around town.

I checked this out from the library and can't wait to make something! http://www.amazon.com/Ghoulish-Goodies-Creature-Cupcakes-Eyeballs/dp/1603421467/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411082643&sr=8-1&keywords=ghoulish+goodies

My husband, who has never been into Halloween before, saw some photos of -I can't remember the exact date-, maybe 193/40's era costumes and is fascinated by how truly creepy they are. So...we will be making giant paper mache masks like the ones in those photos as our costumes.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, I bought a new Halloween outfit! I can't really call it a costume because I think it's actually pajamas, but for $24.99 what the hay! And there is no tail... since it's pajamas my dad said they probably can't put a tail on because it would be a strangle hazzard. Whatever person could strangle themselves in the night with a tail on their PJs is sleeping in a VERY different position than I do, but god bless the lawyers who that that up...

ETA: Picture taken in the dressing room of Target when I was trying it on.

_23020.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I love Halloween too, but sadly, no costume party again this year. If DH and I dress up, we go ALL out.
I typically make my kids costumes and the requests are in, so I suppose that I better get started!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1412689330|3763579 said:
Niel, I bought a new Halloween outfit! I can't really call it a costume because I think it's actually pajamas, but for $24.99 what the hay! And there is no tail... since it's pajamas my dad said they probably can't put a tail on because it would be a strangle hazzard. Whatever person could strangle themselves in the night with a tail on their PJs is sleeping in a VERY different position than I do, but god bless the lawyers who that that up...

ETA: Picture taken in the dressing room of Target when I was trying it on.

Love your costume DeeJay!

Trillium

Rough_Rock
Here are my Halloween decorations....

tia__trilly_on_couch.jpg

they are resting up, getting ready for the biggest night of the year Black Cat Night ( which also happens to be my birthday...)
Trillium is on the left, Tiarella is on the right. Precious monsters.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm gonna be 6 months pregnant by the time Halloween rolls around ... that kinda limits my options. I absolutely refuse to go as anything spherical - no pumpkins, no bowling pins, no way, no how! - and I think that while a lot of the "creepy" pregnant costumes are great ideas (I still remember seeing one where the lady wore a black bodysuit painted with skeleton bones for her, and baby skeleton bones for the fetus), I'm a little too superstitious to want to go that route.

So I've decided: Ursula the Sea Witch! I figure with a properly adjusted fishtail skirt, I can make this work ....

_23023.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe, love that idea. When my sister was pregnant she went as the Octomom and her dh went as her fertility doctor lol. They won first prize that year.

Dee, I love your new Halloween Costume. Looks great on you and cannot beat the price!

Trillium, best Halloween decorations ever. :bigsmile:

GCGDanielle

Shiny_Rock
For those of you who pass out candy to trick-or-treaters, how much money do you spend on candy? Do you make sure you have plenty to last, or when you run out, you run out? Every year, I feel like we buy more and more candy to cover the seemingly ever-growing number of kids, and I cringe at the amount we spend. We always have too much, so usually the last few stragglers get a bonanza of treats!

Side note: I'm that lady who forces the "too cool" teenagers to say "TRICK OR TREAT" ha. :angel:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Circe|1412700381|3763680 said:
I'm gonna be 6 months pregnant by the time Halloween rolls around ... that kinda limits my options. I absolutely refuse to go as anything spherical - no pumpkins, no bowling pins, no way, no how! - and I think that while a lot of the "creepy" pregnant costumes are great ideas (I still remember seeing one where the lady wore a black bodysuit painted with skeleton bones for her, and baby skeleton bones for the fetus), I'm a little too superstitious to want to go that route.

So I've decided: Ursula the Sea Witch! I figure with a properly adjusted fishtail skirt, I can make this work ....

That's awesome! She's my favorite Disney "villain".

I'm a teacher and I'm going gross zombie. I like to scare the kids a little :twisted:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha deejay I'm on love with your pajams!

Circe, I'll be 6 months pregnant too! My costume isn't even about being pregnant, I'm pretending like I don't even have one lol.

I've had two friends go to costume part pregnant. One was the pregnant neighbor from family guy the other was a character from aqua teen hunger force. You don't have to know it, just know she was dressed like a fat balled man in swears and a bald cap.

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
I teach 1st grade, so I was thinking I'd dress as Corduroy (green corduroy overalls, bear ears), but I don't wanna be creepy :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results