shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it common for women to flaunt their jewelry...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
in front of their friends?.. :bigsmile: One of my wife's acquaintance loves to flaunt her jewelry every time when we bump into her... :wacko:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Define flaunt. I wear new jewellery and don't hide it and I think that's normal, just as you would do with new shoes, clothes, and handbags. But over the top "look at what I got this weekend" doesn't happen unless it's something that was long coveted and we all know it or was on a super deal.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes please define what you mean by flaunt. IMO only people without class and elegance would "flaunt" things they have that others do not. But just wearing their beautiful jewels does not constitute flaunting. However true flaunting is tacky and pathetic. :knockout:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1402988683|3694791 said:
in front of their friends?.. :bigsmile: One of my wife's acquaintance loves to flaunt her jewelry every time when we bump into her... :wacko:[/quote

Is it considered flaunting when I'm wearing my yoga pants and sweatshirt all with holes?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1403004682|3694832 said:
Dancing Fire|1402988683|3694791 said:
in front of their friends?.. :bigsmile: One of my wife's acquaintance loves to flaunt her jewelry every time when we bump into her... :wacko:[/quote

Is it considered flaunting when I'm wearing my yoga pants and sweatshirt all with holes?

Definitely. :cheeky: Though in this case you are only flaunting how self confident and beautiful you are. So much more jealousy provoking than simple materialistic wealth because self confidence and inner beauty are priceless my dear. You have it all!!! :appl: :wavey:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not time for the Hyacnith Bucket of this world (British sitcom, a woman who thinks she is better than everyone else, etc. etc...)

DK :))

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wear it but only talk about it if asked or if I know the other person is a jewelry person. I have yet to meet one IRL with a love that matches my own! Maybe as I get older I'll possibly meet more people who enjoy it as much as I do.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my experience men with an affinity for large diamonds and flashy jewelry are more likely to flaunt it openly.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
What does 'flaunt' mean?
Wear?
does she wriggle her ears in front of you lol

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The question is whether it is common for women to flaunt their jewelry. Perhaps you would not mind if I reframe it to be, "is it polite for women to flaunt their jewelry"? Or maybe my question should just be added to yours, not substituted for it.

As I write, I am wearing a pink plastic watch and very small gold stud earrings (and my pajamas). I am going to get showered and dressed for a meeting soon, but not add any jewelry. This has become my usual daily fare. So it is hardly a "diamond flaunter" who is answering you.

I think it is appropriate for a woman to wear her diamond jewelry wherever she wishes as long as she is not going to a place where she knows that others are going to be particularly poor. I think that it may be in questionable taste to wear all of one's flashiest jewelry when visiting the poorest of the poor. I, for one, would not do that. I consider that flaunting my jewelry.

I will, however, put on all the diamonds that I can, without looking like someone's Christmas tree, when I attend my niece's wedding. I still think that taste should dictate how many diamonds or pieces of jewelry one wears. But taste varies. And Queen Elizabeth can get away with wearing a great deal of jewelry and still look appropriate! (Me, not so much.)

In summation: wearing isn't flaunting unless your audience was chosen without consideration. One should always consider others with whom one will be spending time if one is a lady. That is the essence of good manners, making other people comfortable.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1403012613|3694896 said:
In summation: wearing isn't flaunting unless your audience was chosen without consideration.

Deb/AGBF

I essentially agree with this. Some people definitely mean to "keep up with the Joneses", and to me that feels like flaunting even if others around you are similarly adorned.

It may or may not be flaunting to be dripping in jewelry among people from decidedly lesser means; at the very least, it would be incredibly insensitive if not flaunting.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
How does 'flaunting' intersect with 'wearing what you love'?
:???:
is there an audience for jewellery, that one must consider?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
If by flaunting you mean to specifically make gestures and/or conversation about your jewelry, I'd say no, it's not what I would consider to be common.
If I have a friend that shares a particular interest (be it jewelry, shoes, handbags, maybe a particular designer, etc.), then I might make mention of it at some point during a conversation (if the timing was right), but I wouldn't bump into a friend and immediately start flaunting anything...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1403004087|3694826 said:
Yes please define what you mean by flaunt. IMO only people without class and elegance would "flaunt" things they have that others do not. But just wearing their beautiful jewels does not constitute flaunting. However true flaunting is tacky and pathetic. :knockout:
What I meant by flaunt was more like "showing off" her jewelry with a lot of hand movements while she was talking to us.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1403018703|3694981 said:
What I meant by flaunt was more like "showing off" her jewelry with a lot of hand movements while she was talking to us.

Can you guess what I want to ask you, Dancing Fire? Watch the video!
Hand Gestures...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW91Ec4DYkU

Deb/AGBF

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1403028376|3695078 said:
Dancing Fire|1403018703|3694981 said:

Can you guess what I want to ask you, Dancing Fire? Watch the video!
Hand Gestures...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW91Ec4DYkU

Deb/AGBF

Wonderful video, Deb.

DF, I think flaunting, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder.

Two observers may not see the same thing.
Noticing flaunting may say more about you than the person you are accusing of flaunting.
An insecure or jealous person may "see" more flaunting than a person who is more secure and at peace with others having nice things.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1403008843|3694858 said:
In my experience men with an affinity for large diamonds and flashy jewelry are more likely to flaunt it openly.

Hey, have you seen our large diamonds?
Look how large they are.
Look how they sparkle.
Look what a great photographer I am.

Have I mentioned how LARGE our diamonds are?

:lol: :lol:

screen_shot_2014-06-17_at_11.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny...You must flaunt these two beautiful diamonds in front of every women... :appl: :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean my diamond daily and wear it almost everywhere.
I enjoy the hell out of it.

I notice that people do notice it.
I have no idea whether THEY think I'm flaunting or not.
Maybe they are more likely to think I'm flaunting because they think diamonds like this are only for women, and a woman wearing the same rock and behaving/moving identically would not bring up a flaunting accusation.
I guess I should worry about all that too. :roll:

Uhm maybe not.
Not my problem, and worrying/fearing what others think is is NOT going to get me to feel guilty or get me to spin it around into my palm when anyone is near, or fall in line into anyone's view of how men should be.
Maybe some day they will accept that people just vary.
Maybe they'll carry their narrow-mindedness to the grave.
Whatev.

A diamond is beautiful, as is a nice dress, your makeup, hairdo, nice clean car, healthy body, musical talent, an Ivy League school on a resume, eating at a fancy restaurant etc. etc. etc.
All can be perceived as flaunting by people 'with issues'.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1403028889|3695091 said:
DF, I think flaunting, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder.
Two observers may not see the same thing.
Noticing flaunting may say more about you than the person you are accusing of flaunting.
An insecure or jealous person may "see" more flaunting than a person who is more secure and at peace with others having nice things.

I couldn't have said it better myself, kenny! :appl: If their jewelry outshines mine, they're clearly flaunting it... LOL :lol: :lol: :bigsmile:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodness, I wasn't addressing anyone specific.

In my experience, the men who have jewelry to wear are very flashy "more is more" about wearing it. It is not unusual to see a diamons chain, multiple rings and a blingy watch all worn on full display. The trend for women is "less is more" and you are more likely to see a woman wearing one or two pieces.

All women/men? No. My observation. There is nothing wrong with wearing or flaunting jewelry in the manner you choose. If you have it, show it to me because I genuinely want to ogle it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1403030195|3695101 said:
Kenny...You must flaunt these two beautiful diamonds in front of every women... :appl: :appl:

But what if I get my eyes scratched out? :errrr:

Maybe when you get your Octavia we can all three go on a diamond-flaunting outing.
We'll hang out at the make up counter at Nordstrom and watch the women fall over in jealousy or faint from the vapors.

While a gal is applying lipstick we'll all 3 do the OCTAFLAUNT (registered trademark patent pending) and watch her slip and draw a red line over her cheek. :Up_to_something:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some wise words from my mum: if one does not wear jewellery yet smartly turned out, no one would assume he/she has none; however, if one wears jewellery all the time, then others may think that's all he/she has.

I believe that makes some kind of sense! :D

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What is a flaunt? Is it like a gaudy? I just DON'T get it.

cheers--Sharon

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1403034381|3695147 said:
What is a flaunt?

flaunt |flônt, flänt| verb [ with obj. ]
display (something) ostentatiously, esp. in order to provoke envy or admiration or to show defiance: newly rich consumers eager to flaunt their prosperity.
• (flaunt oneself) dress or behave in a sexually provocative way.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
We're all adults and I think that most of us have the ability to tell if someone is purposefully showing off their jewelry (flaunting it) vs. just using hand gestures during conversation. It's pretty obvious to me when that sort of thing is going on and no, it doesn't mean that I'm insecure or jealous - it just means that I've caught on to the fact that you're waving your ring in my face :lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1403034490|3695150 said:
What is a flaunt?

display (something) ostentatiously, esp. in order to provoke envy or admiration or to show defiance: newly rich consumers eager to flaunt their prosperity.

thanks. I understand it by definition, but don't get the notion of it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1403035664|3695165 said:
kenny|1403034490|3695150 said:
What is a flaunt?

thanks. I understand it by definition, but don't get the notion of it.

Flaunting is not a black and white thing like agreeing that there are two real apples on a real table.
Flaunting is open to interpretation.
I see four possibilities.
That there ARE four, instead of one, muddies the waters when discussing flaunting.

1. The person wearing the large diamond is intentionally flaunting, and people judge the behavior to be flaunting.
2. The person wearing the large diamond is intentionally flaunting, but nobody considers it flaunting. (perhaps they are preoccupied with their own flaunting)
3. The person wearing the large diamond is not flaunting, and nobody perceives flaunting.
4. The person wearing the large diamond is not flaunting, but people judge it to be flaunting. (for reasons already suggested)

The point is it takes two to tango and two to have flaunting.
Flaunting is not 'out there'; it's inside the brains of people.

There can be no controversy that someone is wearing a diamond, but there can be controversy over whether they are flaunting it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven't run into that myself. I would think someone that flaunts their jewelry with hand gestures is insecure and attention seeking perhaps... :confused:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have come across those very shallow people who would falsely compliment what others are wearing, in order to draw people's attention to their own jewellery/clothes/accessories/etc...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results