shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it common for women to flaunt their jewelry...

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly do flaunt mine (any which way you define the word). I taught that Hyacinth Bucket woman everything she thinks she knows.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1403038702|3695197 said:
I certainly do flaunt mine (any which way you define the word). I taught that Hyacinth Bucket woman everything she thinks she knows.

You always make my day! :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1403038702|3695197 said:

screen_shot_2014-06-17_at_2.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the end of the day, each to their own.

DK :))

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
This post came at such an appropriate time! A coworker stuck his had in my office, and said "Check you out, flaunting your bling at people who walk by" I had my left hand propping up my chin while I was staring at my computer screen, totally unaware that my wedding set was pointing at whoever walks through my doorway :confused:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1403044822|3695269 said:
This post came at such an appropriate time! A coworker stuck his had in my office, and said "Check you out, flaunting your bling at people who walk by" I had my left hand propping up my chin while I was staring at my computer screen, totally unaware that my wedding set was pointing at whoever walks through my doorway :confused:

Good example of "Kenny's Flaunting-Scenario #4".
4. The person wearing the large diamond is not flaunting, but people judge it to be flaunting. (for reasons already suggested)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1403031731|3695122 said:
My goodness, I wasn't addressing anyone specific.

In my experience, the men who have jewelry to wear are very flashy "more is more" about wearing it. It is not unusual to see a diamons chain, multiple rings and a blingy watch all worn on full display. The trend for women is "less is more" and you are more likely to see a woman wearing one or two pieces.

All women/men? No. My observation. There is nothing wrong with wearing or flaunting jewelry in the manner you choose. If you have it, show it to me because I genuinely want to ogle it.
Don't do it Kenny!..we're not allow to post X rated pic on PS... :nono:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1403046395|3695289 said:
Elliot86|1403031731|3695122 said:
My goodness, I wasn't addressing anyone specific.

In my experience, the men who have jewelry to wear are very flashy "more is more" about wearing it. It is not unusual to see a diamons chain, multiple rings and a blingy watch all worn on full display. The trend for women is "less is more" and you are more likely to see a woman wearing one or two pieces.

All women/men? No. My observation. There is nothing wrong with wearing or flaunting jewelry in the manner you choose. If you have it, show it to me because I genuinely want to ogle it.
Don't do it Kenny!..we're not allow to post X rated pic on PS... :nono:

DF, are you trying to steal my title of the naughtiest PS poster? :naughty:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
If I saw a beautiful diamond, I would compliment someone on it. I am so oblivious, I wouldn't notice the flaunt part, probably.

RaspberryBliss

Shiny_Rock
Well, I almost always talk with my hands, it's like words don't come out of my mouth unless my hands are moving. It is just something I've always done. I sure hope people don't think that I am flaunting my jewelry, I've never really thought about it. :confused:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1403028376|3695078 said:
Dancing Fire|1403018703|3694981 said:
What I meant by flaunt was more like "showing off" her jewelry with a lot of hand movements while she was talking to us.

Can you guess what I want to ask you, Dancing Fire? Watch the video!
Hand Gestures...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW91Ec4DYkU

As I said above, I had planned to ask Dancing Fire something. It was whether his wife's friend was Italian. The video to which I placed the link above is, sadly, very abbreviated. The full length article that ran in the newspaper was wonderfully informative. If I am not mistaken, at one time that article was available in its entirety as a videotape as well. The article had explained why an "underground" language of hand gestures had evolved in Italy as well as cataloging many of them. I do not know, for sure that the friend of DF's wife not attempting to draw attention to her jewelry with hand gestures, but I am not sure how momhappy-who also was not present-can be sure she was. I am not sure if we in the US are as proficient in body language as the Italians!

AGBF

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb...wife's friend is Chinese.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
msop04|1403031098|3695116 said:
kenny|1403028889|3695091 said:
DF, I think flaunting, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder.
Two observers may not see the same thing.
Noticing flaunting may say more about you than the person you are accusing of flaunting.
An insecure or jealous person may "see" more flaunting than a person who is more secure and at peace with others having nice things.

I couldn't have said it better myself, kenny! :appl: If their jewelry outshines mine, they're clearly flaunting it... LOL :lol: :lol: :bigsmile:
DF, her 'flaunting' might actually be your internal clock telling you time to buy more diamonds for yourself and your wife!!? :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaraOnline|1403068416|3695531 said:
msop04|1403031098|3695116 said:
kenny|1403028889|3695091 said:
DF, I think flaunting, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder.
Two observers may not see the same thing.
Noticing flaunting may say more about you than the person you are accusing of flaunting.
An insecure or jealous person may "see" more flaunting than a person who is more secure and at peace with others having nice things.

I couldn't have said it better myself, kenny! :appl: If their jewelry outshines mine, they're clearly flaunting it... LOL :lol: :lol: :bigsmile:
DF, her 'flaunting' might actually be your internal clock telling you time to buy more diamonds for yourself and your wife!!? :appl:

Lara, I like your line of thinking here. :cheeky:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF,
Could be that she loves waving her hands around a lot. I've seen many of this type of older Chinese wives. I try to give the benefit of the doubt wherever possible, unless she actually smacks the ring into my eye. ;))

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I actually try to hide the rings I am wearing in front of certain people. Like my in-laws:) My mother-in-law always asks me about the rings I wear and asks me if they cost alot. Since I stay at home with my kids, I feel like they feel sorry for my husband.
I went shopping with his aunt and was looking at Halloween costumes for my kids and my daughter wanted one that was $30 dollars and she said she couldn't let me spend that much of my husband's money. Last time shopping with her:tongue: She also asked who picked out my engagement ring, my husband or me and when I said we picked it out together, she said it's more special when the guy picks it out himself.
I said he probably wouldn't have gotten me anything because he hates shopping and she said I should have been happy with anything.
My engagement ring has 1/4 ct diamond so it's not like I made him spend a lot of money on it. I buy my own things most of the time anyway, whether I sell some old jewelry or save up. But I definitely try not to flaunt it around them.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
livannie|1403098848|3695665 said:
I actually try to hide the rings I am wearing in front of certain people. Like my in-laws:) My mother-in-law always asks me about the rings I wear and asks me if they cost alot. Since I stay at home with my kids, I feel like they feel sorry for my husband.
I went shopping with his aunt and was looking at Halloween costumes for my kids and my daughter wanted one that was $30 dollars and she said she couldn't let me spend that much of my husband's money. Last time shopping with her:tongue: She also asked who picked out my engagement ring, my husband or me and when I said we picked it out together, she said it's more special when the guy picks it out himself.
I said he probably wouldn't have gotten me anything because he hates shopping and she said I should have been happy with anything.
My engagement ring has 1/4 ct diamond so it's not like I made him spend a lot of money on it. I buy my own things most of the time anyway, whether I sell some old jewelry or save up. But I definitely try not to flaunt it around them.
ERG, I really hate this attitude. What is it with the jealousy of some mothers of hubbies?
It's honesly like they expect you to work as a bonded slave or something!

I have at various times in the past felt desperate to point out to my mil that it was my money, not hubby's, that got us over the line in terms of buying the business. But I've never mentioned it for fear of it being taken badly.

Patriarchal attitudes are really still quite common I find....they just don't come out until you've got the first baby in your arms!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

... your in-laws sound like meddling, judge-y jerks. She couldn't let you spend your "husband's money?" I know it's hard to put a dollar sign on the benefit of having a parent staying at home, but ... by this logic, if you go back to work, are you taking "his money" to pay for childcare? Or as the mommy, are you responsible for paying that yourself, and "his" money is "his," no matter what?

TWIT.

On the question of flaunting ... well, I wear a lot of bling. This is not an unusual look for me these days:

trio_4.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That said, I'm not wearing this with the intention of it having any effect on anybody around me ... when people compliment them (and it's almost always jewelers - I am assuming normal people think I am a tackalicious gaudy lady who spends too much time on the home shopping channels), I'm usually almost taken aback, 'cause it's so second-nature that it's just ... normal for me. (This is equally true when I wear my own silver'n'semiprecious pieces, or paste from the 20s & 30s, or whatever.) Generally, my philosophy has always been, "too much is never enough," to quote Wilde.

But it's not the only time I've worried about flaunting (well, "worried" - become aware that other people are worried/concerned/ticked off might be more accurate): I used to catch a lot of flack for "flaunting" my rack, more or less by just having it. But, sorta like Jessica Valenti ... can't win. Even in a turtleneck, the gals are front and center. So, after a little while, I just sort of shrugged and decided to please myself. Everybody else is going to find some reason to bitch and moan, given human nature, so I might as well have fun in the meantime!

P.S. - I've never been around anybody whom I would classify as "flaunting," FWIW. Bragging? Sure. But just on the basis of looking, the concept has never really pinged my radar ....

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1403099985|3695677 said:
Generally, my philosophy has always been, "too much is never enough," to quote Wilde.

We should go out together, Circe. We would look like Jack Spratt and his wife. I have totally bare hands and your hands look like like a Christmas tree. (By the way, Christmas trees are my favorite thing in the world and I cram every ornament that I can on mine. I cannot bare a "spare" looking tree!).

Deb
:wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tell that bitch to STFU!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1403032541|3695133 said:
While a gal is applying lipstick we'll all 3 do the OCTAFLAUNT (registered trademark patent pending) and watch her slip and draw a red line over her cheek. :Up_to_something:

:lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not Italian at all but talk with my hands constantly whether I have rings/bracelets on or not. Maybe when I get my big (for me) 2+ ct in a halo someone might think this is flaunting? Frankly I could care less if they do.

ETA livannie I am so sorry you have that attitude from your inlaws.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1403111406|3695811 said:
Frankly I could care less if they do.

Don't you mean you couldn't care less?

Then again, perhaps you could care less about this. :D

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
As I was scrolling through FB today, I noticed that I have a friend who is particularly fond of flaunting. She will flaunt just about anything - material things, travel, etc. For example, the post yesterday was about how they've booked a month-long, international vacation and then today's post was about how there are X amount of days until their caribbean vacation. It's not uncommon for her to post pictures of new handbags, new shoes, new jewelry, etc. As a woman in my 40's, this sort of behavior is something that I would expect from a teenage girl (no offense to any teenage girls out there :)) - it just demonstrates a different level of maturity) and not from middle-aged women. Sorry if I thread-jacked, but I was curious if others knew women like this or if they felt that this sort of FB flaunting was normal?

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kenny, Circe, laraonline and redwood66. They can be nice too, I just don't appreciate when people think when a woman stays home they don't do anything and just spend their husband's money all day :???: . Even my little brother who is 21 tells me I have an easy life because I stay home with my kids and my husband earns all the money and takes care of us. But it is hard being a mom too. It's never ending.
But my husband is sweet and has never made me feel bad for staying home and he likes my jewelry. :rodent: He says if it makes me happy it's worth me spending money on.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1403095073|3695631 said:
DF,
Could be that she loves waving her hands around a lot. I've seen many of this type of older Chinese wives. I try to give the benefit of the doubt wherever possible, unless she actually smacks the ring into my eye. ;))

:lol:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
momhappy|1403112281|3695824 said:
As I was scrolling through FB today, I noticed that I have a friend who is particularly fond of flaunting. She will flaunt just about anything - material things, travel, etc. For example, the post yesterday was about how they've booked a month-long, international vacation and then today's post was about how there are X amount of days until their caribbean vacation. It's not uncommon for her to post pictures of new handbags, new shoes, new jewelry, etc. As a woman in my 40's, this sort of behavior is something that I would expect from a teenage girl (no offense to any teenage girls out there :)) - it just demonstrates a different level of maturity) and not from middle-aged women. Sorry if I thread-jacked, but I was curious if others knew women like this or if they felt that this sort of FB flaunting was normal?

I don't spend much time on FB, but I am a teen and have seen other teens do this, but never adults... Not yet at least. :tongue:

It's difficult to understand people's tone over the internet -- perhaps she's just genuinely excited about her material possessions/vacations etc., and feels like sharing her excitement. That is what I'd assume. But I don't know the woman so obviously I can't know her intentions.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1403095073|3695631 said:
DF,

As I read your post I imagined that happening to me. It really hurt. :knockout:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1403120101|3695906 said:
momhappy|1403112281|3695824 said:

I don't spend much time on FB, but I am a teen and have seen other teens do this, but never adults... Not yet at least. :tongue:

It's difficult to understand people's tone over the internet -- perhaps she's just genuinely excited about her material possessions/vacations etc., and feels like sharing her excitement. That is what I'd assume. But I don't know the woman so obviously I can't know her intentions.

+1

What has been labeled flaunting here may just be in the eye of the beholder.
There is absolutely no way to know for sure ... though the beholder comes across as sure and unwilling to acknowledge it may be her perception.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results