shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Coach on a comeback?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I used to use Coach bags all the time, ever since I was in college. Then they changed to a flashier style and I didn't use them for a long time.

Now I notice the style is changing again, into a modern but more classic style than in recent years. Is anyone who left Coach thinking of buying them again? Or do you think the new look is good?

I'm thinking of buying one but don't want to make a purchase mistake :twirl:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Oooh you're right. I just went to the website and it looks like they've "toned it down". I'm not a fan of the flashy stuff either but I do like a few of the new styles they have under "new arrivals" right now.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I also like their designs more lately. I had not even considered one for years, but bought a larger shoulder bag for travel in Dec.
I wanted something I could zip, that would hold my i-pad & full sized Nikon DSLR, and that was not heavily logo-ed....and I didn't want to spend a lot since it would be under airline seats and probably abused with extra weight. I probably won't buy another anytime soon, but it's nice to see the gigantic logos and eccentric designs take a backseat to their more traditional strengths.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I was a big fan of the "old" Coach styles, durable ones in substantial leather. They have re-introduced versions of a few of the classic styles, but I find the new leather is significantly lower in quality, even when the shape is the same or close to it. I have stockpiled several vintage bags from Ebay and plan to use those for the rest of my life.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I think that Coach has always had some classic designs, so I don't think that they've changed all that much.
Coach is not a brand that I would purchase. When I first started buying designer handbags, I bought Coach. I have since moved on to higher end designer handbag labels. I think Coach puts out a quality product (materials & craftsmanship), but it's just not for me.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't seen many bags by them in a long time that have really appealed to me. There was one a couple seasons ago I loved, but it was eight hundred freaking dollars. And the leather was not worth that pricetag, but really I haven't seen much made by them worth anywhere near the prices they charge. The workmanship in terms of leather, stitching, etc., just isn't what it was in the old days. My MIL and SIL have bags from the 70s that are still in amazing condition, and my SIL has leather bags from the last few seasons that look like warm death and have barely even been used by comparison.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love vintage Coach so if their new pocketbooks are similar to their vintage bags in style and quality that would be great.

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
I think outlets took away from the style that once was Coach.. I do hope they make a comeback!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I own a few vintage pieces which are great - all solid leather. They put out a lot of lower quality things the past few years which have synthetic materials.

I recently bought a great small Coach backpack in new condition at a second-hand place for $38 - so well made, and quite old given the quality if the materials and construction. I own a few nice things I got at a factory outlet store, such as a great leather wallet marked down very low because it had a tiny mark on the leather.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have an outlet now, where they purposely make "factory quality" bags. It makes it lose it's allure for me. I bought a bag a few years ago, and I used it daily. Then, one year later, the outlet comes out with their version of the same bag. It looks exactly the same, minus the hardware logo. I get comments all the time about "OH I BOUGHT THAT TOO! IT'S SO CHEAP!!" since the outlet one was going for $99, then on top of that, during 3-day weekends, you can get 10-20% off coupons. I paid $400 for mine. I stopped wearing that bag. Not because I don't like it anymore, but it pisses me off that others bought essentially the same thing for a small fraction of what I paid, and that just annoys me.

So no, I don't think I'll ever buy Coach again unless I myself pay a very cheap price for the item, either on sale or at the outlet.

I've taken a liking to Kate Spade as my Coach alternative.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think it ever left. I do think that it established itself as a mid-range purse and as such, it has always enjoyed the same popularity as Dooney and Burke, Michael Kors, and Kate Spade. I agree that the outlets have cheapened the name and that they decided to sell volume rather than keep their brand high-end, but even Louis Vuitton has a lot of entry-level bags, and I don't seem them ever needing to make a comeback.
ETA: Isabella Fiore, and Botkier, on the other hand....what happened to them?

D

Deactivated member 42515

Nope. Don't like coach. Everyone and their grandma has one.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I remember walking into a Subway in NC and every single woman in the place had a Coach bag of some sort. It just looses its appeal to me when everyone has it. However with that said some of their newer stuff I have bought because I like the look of them. However they don't have the logo on anything but the hardware I believe. I don't think 85% of ppl would know it is a Coach bag and that is fine with me. I buy my bags for the look and use of them, not the brand name.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I bought a Coach bag when we were in the States for Christmas. It's just right. The size, the drop, the color, the compartments, all what I wanted. I am not 'into' purses and shoes, so brand preferences sort of go over my head. I don't know what's in, but for me, 30% off and it ticked all the boxes, so it was a great purchase. :))

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I have a Coach diaper bag from when my 3 year old was born. I saw it and thought it was cute. But I do not specifically love or hate Coach. That is probably because I am not a name brands person. I do not chose something based on a brand name or how many people have/don't have it. I choose items based on if I like the specific item.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1393405624|3623284 said:
I remember walking into a Subway in NC and every single woman in the place had a Coach bag of some sort. It just looses its appeal to me when everyone has it. However with that said some of their newer stuff I have bought because I like the look of them. However they don't have the logo on anything but the hardware I believe. I don't think 85% of ppl would know it is a Coach bag and that is fine with me. I buy my bags for the look and use of them, not the brand name.

Agreed, I don't want something everyone and their grandma has. The other thing I din't like about Coach is the number of fakes out there. But the counterfeiting problem follows most every designer brand made. I've bought a couple of my LV bags pre-loved, and have to be super careful I don't get a fake.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a few coach bags and wallets that I use. I don't consider them high-end, but like the items I have even though they might be a bit trendy. I mostly buy from the Coach store and wait until they have a 25% off code so I don't pay full price.

Keep in mind, I'm not a handbag addict or collector, so I don't care if I buy something I'll use for one or two seasons and then move on. If I wanted a true investment bag, I'd not buy Coach.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I buy Coach leather bags and won't ever buy anything else for daily use. My purse weighs 15-20 pounds with what I have in it 95% of the time, and Coach is the only brand I've found that can withstand that weight without falling apart at the seams or becoming worn in a short period of time. I've been carrying my current bag for about 2 years now and it still looks brand new, which is a feat considering the stress I put it through.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I quit buying Coach when I realized I didn't need all the silly logos all over my stuff. I basically just started buying Fossil instead and never looked back since I don't feel the need to spend a bunch of money on bags. I did just buy a black leather backpack from Coach on ebay though that I should be receiving today or tomorrow. I love being hands-free, so backpack purses really appeal to me and I couldn't find a Fossil one. I hope I like it!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry but I like Coach and I buy Coach. I have owned and still own some vintage ones and I think they are still well made.
I do know they make specific items that go direct to FO, but they also have the exact items sold in the Coach boutiques.
I don't think that the brand has been cheapened by the outlet stores. I've gotten some beautiful well made good leather pieces that were also a very good price! We live very close to an outlet store and I take advantage of the markdowns and extra % off deals.
And I don't see myself coming and going, maybe the tourists from Europe who winter here are bringing them all home!!

I do keep away from the heavily logoed ones, although I guess since our last name is a C name I could consider it monogrammed;-)

I am the kind of person who changes her purse at least three times a week. My purse needs to go with what I'm wearing. So I can safely say I have 20 different purses. Not all Coach.
I have different styles for different looks and colors for different seasons.
When I get tired of them, I sell on EBay.

Never in my life would I spend huge amounts of money, LV or Birken, Gucci or whatever for something that could be ruined in an instant by a random careless spill or whatever. I had a friend with a LV I believe that her toddler threw up on!
Same thing for outrageously expensive shoes. I just don't get spending money like that.
But as Kenny says people vary.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Sparklelu|1393447230|3623625 said:
I'm sorry but I like Coach and I buy Coach. I have owned and still own some vintage ones and I think they are still well made.
I do know they make specific items that go direct to FO, but they also have the exact items sold in the Coach boutiques.
I don't think that the brand has been cheapened by the outlet stores. I've gotten some beautiful well made good leather pieces that were also a very good price! We live very close to an outlet store and I take advantage of the markdowns and extra % off deals.
And I don't see myself coming and going, maybe the tourists from Europe who winter here are bringing them all home!!

I do keep away from the heavily logoed ones, although I guess since our last name is a C name I could consider it monogrammed;-)

I am the kind of person who changes her purse at least three times a week. My purse needs to go with what I'm wearing. So I can safely say I have 20 different purses. Not all Coach.

Never in my life would I spend huge amounts of money, LV or Birken, Gucci or whatever for something that could be ruined in an instant by a random careless spill or whatever. I had a friend with a LV I believe that her toddler threw up on!
Same thing for outrageously expensive shoes. I just don't get spending money like that.

There's certainly no reason to start off by apologizing for liking/buying Coach =) I agree with you that the brand is well-made and I think that it's great that you have found a brand that works well for you.
As far as spending money on purses, I prefer to have a handful of pricey ones vs. 20 less-expensive bags. If they get ruined, they get ruined. After all, I buy them to use them and enjoy them, which is not to say that I don't take care of them (I do!), but they are purchased with the knowledge that they will sustain some normal wear and tear. Just like my designer shoes :razz:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1393448058|3623634 said:
Sparklelu|1393447230|3623625 said:

There's certainly no reason to start off by apologizing for liking/buying Coach =) I agree with you that the brand is well-made and I think that it's great that you have found a brand that works well for you.
As far as spending money on purses, I prefer to have a handful of pricey ones vs. 20 less-expensive bags. If they get ruined, they get ruined. After all, I buy them to use them and enjoy them, which is not to say that I don't take care of them (I do!), but they are purchased with the knowledge that they will sustain some normal wear and tear. Just like my designer shoes :razz:

Yep, there is no reason to say sorry for liking Coach! ;)) I agree with the enjoyment of less pricey bags b/c you can enjoy them for the short term and not worry about them getting damaged. I've ended up mostly with Marc Jacobs and other similarly priced bags, along with Coach, because they're in for the season and if one gets damaged, you're not out tons of money.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last time I went to the mall I nearly bought a Coach purse. I've NEVER liked Coach before. I didn't really like the leather though, so I ended up with something else.

My main purse right now is a Kate Spade, I've used it nearly every day for over two years, spilled drinks in it, had food smashed in it, been dragged over concrete, still looks perfect. It's one of the really structured ones and my friend tried to talk me out of buying it because she said it would lose its shape over time, but so far it's still good.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1393464447|3623796 said:
The last time I went to the mall I nearly bought a Coach purse. I've NEVER liked Coach before. I didn't really like the leather though, so I ended up with something else.

My main purse right now is a Kate Spade, I've used it nearly every day for over two years, spilled drinks in it, had food smashed in it, been dragged over concrete, still looks perfect. It's one of the really structured ones and my friend tried to talk me out of buying it because she said it would lose its shape over time, but so far it's still good.

My mom got me a Kate Spade purse for Christmas. It isn't really my style (color-wise; it's sort of a beigy gray), but I still use it every day. I'm shocked at the number of compliments I get. The thing I do like about it is I think it will be in style 10 years from now since it's very classic. She also got me another Coach purse that was on clearance, but I haven't used it yet.

The title of this thread caught me by surprise. I never knew Coach went out of style.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I guess that's subjective. I don't believe that Coach has ever gone out of style. Even though I'm not a Coach fan, I still see it absolutely everywhere, so I don't think that it has lost any popularity over the years. Perhaps the demographic changed for a bit while the brand produced some styles/designs that were geared towards younger buyers, but again, they've always had some classic styles to appeal to the standard Coach crowd.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I think the company's health and sales can be objectively quantified and I think the OP was probably responding to new styles and news like this article about "reinvention" :

Should Investors Be Dying to Buy the Reinvented Coach, Inc.?
By Steve Symington | More Articles
February 27, 2014 | Comments (3)

Following yet another disappointing quarterly performance from Coach (NYSE: COH ) last month, I found myself lamenting that September just couldn't come soon enough for the languishing fashion apparel company.

Specifically, that's when consumers will finally be able to buy items from the inaugural collection of Coach's new executive creative director, Stuart Vevers.

Vevers, for his part, was not only tasked last year with filling the shoes of Coach's previous creative director of 16 years, Reed Krakoff, but also needed to walk the fine line between reinventing an iconic brand and expressing appreciation for its 73-year heritage.

Coach needs the boost
If one thing is sure, it's that Coach is absolutely begging reinvention to turn around its core North American market, which last quarter comprised nearly 70% of Coach's $1.42 billion in total sales. And even though Coach is enjoying relatively healthy growth in promising markets like China -- where sales grew 25% last quarter -- it's still coming off three consecutive quarters of comparable-store sales declines in North America. Most recently, that weakness resulted in a 6% year-over-year decrease in Coach's fiscal second-quarter revenue.

Meanwhile, up-and-coming competitor Michael Kors (NYSE: KORS ) just posted sales that grew an incredible 59% year over year to $1 billion, including a 51% increase in North America on comparable-store sales growth of 24%.

However, Michael Kors' stock also reflects much of that optimism, with shares currently trading around seven times sales, 34 times last year's earnings, and 26 times next year's estimates. By comparison, Coach stock trades for under three times sales, just above 14 times both trailing and forward earnings, and also pays investors a 2.8% dividend for their patience.

Your sneak peek into Coach's future
But if September seems too long to wait, keep in mind that Vevers' new collection already made its debut at the New York Fashion Show only a few weeks ago.

Sure enough, though Coach apparently showcased the collection in what Matthew Schneier of The New York Times described as "a series of quiet, appointment-only presentations," Coach was kind enough to give the rest of us a quick peek at a few of the highlights in this video:

Consumers can't purchase anything yet, but that's also why I suggested investors keep their eyes peeled for how the fashion industry would respond.

Luckily for Coach investors, it seems they liked what they saw.

For example, Schneier wrote:

His approach is sensible not only in terms of the company's history and expertise ... but just as importantly, in terms of price. None of the pieces in the collection will top $2,000. Mr. Vevers called it 'a genuine, authentic alternative to traditional luxury.' Both the collection and its presentation were that.
Elle's Ruthie Friedlander was less reserved, insisting, "It's utterly cool, it's utterly chic, and yes, it's utterly American. It's younger, edgier, and fresher than we've ever seen Coach before, and the only negative thing I left feeling was that I couldn't wear it immediately."

Booth Moore of the Los Angeles Times even went so far as to describe Vevers' efforts as "American work wear-meets sophisticated luxury, edgier and more streetwise than the brand was under former creative director Reed Krakoff."

And those weren't the only positive responses. In fact, I had trouble finding any negative criticism surrounding Coach's pending reboot. At worst, most seem to be relieved the brand so many people grew up idolizing is finally showing signs of life.

Of course, it remains to be seen whether most consumers will react the same way. For now, though, it appears Stuart Vevers is off to a great start.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting article, Harpertoo. Not sure I can see myself paying 2k for coach. It's not gucci or louis.

I'm not ready to come back to Coach. Every time I walk by the store the displays disappoint me. I used to be a big fan of their hamptons line. Once it was discontinued and selection changed to logo heavy fabric bags, I lost interest. The new leather collection doesn't look as well made as comparable price Kate Spade bags. I still wear my old coach bags because they have a classic style and hardly look worn even after many years of almost daily use. But I wouldn't buy any of their current stuff.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never owned a Coach bag. For whatever reason, they just never appealed to me enough to buy one. Every now and then I have seen one I liked that someone else was carrying, but when I have been to there stores I never seem to find 'that bag'.

Funny story- My DH is a firefighter. A couple weeks ago they went on a medical aid call, to Louis Vuitton, in San Dimas, CA. They had a whole room (think gigantic) of industrial sewing machines where women were making the bags. He asked the lady to show him and told her, 'My wife would love this" and asked if he could take a picture. The lady told him 'absolutely not' but he did get to see it. I had no idea that any Louis Vuitton bags would be made in little ol' San Dimas, let alone CA. I thought the big thing with that brand was that they were all made in France. Go figure. I have never bought a bag from them either.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I believe that LV has several factories all over the place including France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, and, yes, California.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a love of bags and own almost every brand from Chanel, LV, Rebecca Minkoff, miu miu, prada and Gucci. I have three newer model Coach bags that are fun colors. I normally use them for work. I also have a lot of their older water buffalo classic designs. They have kept up over the years, even the ones that are over 20 years old.

I have one coach bag in particular that is a patent teal color that I got for Mothers Day and everyone always comments on the color and style.
It's an awesome bag and when stuff spills on it, It is so easy to clean.

Also, their diaper bags are awesome!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results