I need help shopping for cheongsam/qipao... It's so expensive in the states ;(

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:think: ..Yes, 1.3 billion people!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol! You! No I mean someone here :) that can help me buy and ship to the states for me.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you made me go look that one up, madelise! I thought it might be a perishable food! ;))

Deb :wavey:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I had one custom made in China and it turned out horrible! It's really hard when you aren't local.

I know some really great people and places in Toronto.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter paid $420 for a custom made in SF chinatown. I'd agree with CP that you should only do custom made with a local store don't take a chance with a long distance taylor.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on getting custom made local. I got the one for my wedding in the Bay Area for almost $500. They took my measurements, and then needed a fitting to get it to fit perfectly.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh. I bought mine for $600 locally, and it isn't even super fancy or anything. I need like another 2. Bah. I guess I have to just suck it up.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
What about gown rentals? I know lots of Chinese photography studios (I'm in southern California) that rent out qipao's for the day? My friend had 3 different outfit changes on her wedding day, and they were all rented from the same place....some people want to keep their gowns for sentiment, but I'd rather just pay to rent for the day, I'm not sentimental at all.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1425420690|3841446 said:
What about gown rentals? I know lots of Chinese photography studios (I'm in southern California) that rent out qipao's for the day? My friend had 3 different outfit changes on her wedding day, and they were all rented from the same place....some people want to keep their gowns for sentiment, but I'd rather just pay to rent for the day, I'm not sentimental at all.

I'm in SoCal as well. I need to own another 2-3 qipaos as I wear them now about 2-3x a week. :wall:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The internet is censored in China. I've no idea if a site like Pricescope is allowed or not under Communism, which is the opposite of capitalism, and this site deals with consumer goods, so.....On the other hand, the site is not political...but it is a forum for free speech, which wouldn't go down too well under Communism. I really don't know if Pricescope can be accessed in China, but just know that the internet is censored over there, which might explain it if you don't get any replies from people in China. It would be great if someone in China did reply, as then we'd know.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/13/chinas-internet-restrictions-are-hampering-business-foreign-companies-say/?ref=topics

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1425913892|3844290 said:
The internet is censored in China. I've no idea if a site like Pricescope is allowed or not under Communism, which is the opposite of capitalism, and this site deals with consumer goods, so.....On the other hand, the site is not political...but it is a forum for free speech, which wouldn't go down too well under Communism. I really don't know if Pricescope can be accessed in China, but just know that the internet is censored over there, which might explain it if you don't get any replies from people in China. It would be great if someone in China did reply, as then we'd know.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/13/chinas-internet-restrictions-are-hampering-business-foreign-companies-say/?ref=topics

Oy. Thanks Jambalaya. I was just hoping maybe a veteran PSer who travels to China/Taiwan would be willing to help another PSer out. I'm also on another forum, and someone bought me qipao material from Taiwan for me, but he chose print that I don't enjoy :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results