shape
carat
color
clarity

Is anyone else NOT in the holiday spirit?

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Dee*Jay|1354504951|3321021 said:
Enerchi|1354504588|3321015 said:
Your on!!! Lets do it!!! I'm pretty sure you've got more than 1 horse under that hood :naughty: :Up_to_something:

"...dashing all the way... " Well, off to bed so I'm all rested for when you arrive!

Oh - Dee*Jay, do you think you wrapped up your scissors??? We'll be there soon and we'll find them for you!

OMG... I didn't even think of that... :-o I can just hear the phone call from my mother now: "Thaks so much for the lovely down vest, and I really like the scissors with the loose handle held on by tape that came with it."

Enerchi beat me to it, but I was TOTALLY thinking the same thing! :cheeky:

You guys inspired me to put up the tree! I made some microwaved hot chocolate with a shot of amaretto and brandy! :) Stuck some Santa hats on the dogs and hauled the tree out of the garage (with hubby, doing his Scrooge impression!). No decorations this year, it looks so pretty with just the lights on it! Set up in 5 minutes. Easy peasy!
photo_5__1__0.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Webdiva, your tree and decor are beautiful! I love that you eschewed decorations. You may be starting a new PS trend! All sparkle, no "filler" on the tree! :bigsmile:

Speaking of trees...someone usually starts a show me your tree thread. Do we need one of those to inspire?

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64|1354512586|3321103 said:
Webdiva, your tree and decor are beautiful! I love that you eschewed decorations. You may be starting a new PS trend! All sparkle, no "filler" on the tree! :bigsmile:

Speaking of trees...someone usually starts a show me your tree thread. Do we need one of those to inspire?

Thanks! I'm a sucker for anything sparkly, including twinkly lights! I can pretend I'm celebrating the origins of the tree! Traditionally, my family used real candles and candleholders on the trees but are all using electric lights recently.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
It is 93 degrees outside, the sun is BLAZING, not a cloud in sight. Southern hemisphere Christmases suck. :nono: Couldn't be less "in the spirit" if I were possessed by Scrooge himself.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1354501833|3320972 said:
I am back in my HOUSE finally, so, yes, for once I am totally in the spirit. Looking forward to getting a menorah and putting up the New Year tree, and putting fairy lights absolutely everywhere, and gift wrapping loads. I even want to ... bake?

That's great, Circe! I know you've had a rough few months. I'm glad you're back in your place and that it's safe for everyone.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1354504951|3321021 said:
Enerchi|1354504588|3321015 said:
Your on!!! Lets do it!!! I'm pretty sure you've got more than 1 horse under that hood :naughty: :Up_to_something:

"...dashing all the way... " Well, off to bed so I'm all rested for when you arrive!

Oh - Dee*Jay, do you think you wrapped up your scissors??? We'll be there soon and we'll find them for you!

OMG... I didn't even think of that... :-o I can just hear the phone call from my mother now: "Thaks so much for the lovely down vest, and I really like the scissors with the loose handle held on by tape that came with it."

:bigsmile:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good point, MC, and I think that's a huge part of it. We were seeing Christmas stuff on display right around the same time as Halloween and it threw me off. Why can't we celebrate one holiday, take a few days' rest, then move onto the next? All this rush rush rush to get to Christmas is making my head spin. Then Christmas and New Year's come and go and it's such a big let down. After all the hype for months, it's gone just like *that*.

The Christmas spirit is alive and well at my job and the kids have been talking about Santa. If nothing else, being around little kids who talk of Santa, elves, reindeer, decorating their tree, etc., SHOULD get me in the mood, right? I think I have to get some Christmas crafts under way and see what happens.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am back in my HOUSE finally, so, yes, for once I am totally in the spirit. Looking forward to getting a menorah and putting up the New Year tree, and putting fairy lights absolutely everywhere, and gift wrapping loads. I even want to ... bake?

Tell me about a New Years tree. Never heard of one.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1354526963|3321161 said:

That's great, Circe! I know you've had a rough few months. I'm glad you're back in your place and that it's safe for everyone.

Ditto this! So glad to hear you're back home, Circe! Enjoy getting your "holiday" on!

As for me...I waffle between being completely in the spirit and completely bah humbug. This is our first Christmas in our first house and so you would think I'd be excited...but really I'm just overwhelmed. The house is so big, and I have so little to decorate it with, and I'm hosting Christmas and there is still so much to do... But then I do things like watch favorite Christmas movies, or go to the Lights Before Christmas at the Zoo, and I get all excited again. I'm apparently totally bipolar when it comes to Christmas.

(Maybe I just need more wine???)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1354545670|3321251 said:
I'm apparently totally bipolar when it comes to Christmas.

um... sounds about right to me!!! Come on along on the "one porsche open sleigh" that iLander and I are taking to Dee*Jay's place!! Rumour has it... there may be wine at the end of the journey! lol!!

But I must say, after making that one difficult gift decision last night, I feel a tad more positive and uplifted today and I'm actually ... wait for it... CONSIDERING.... perhaps becoming a tad more positive towards the whole event. ;)) There, that's as much of a commitment to "spirit" I can make at this point in the season!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am never in the "holiday spirit" really. I like to get the items for our adopted families and know that they're taken care of but otherwise...eh. I am not religious at all, and I despise christmas music and decor.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1354546090|3321257 said:

um... sounds about right to me!!! Come on along on the "one porsche open sleigh" that iLander and I are taking to Dee*Jay's place!! Rumour has it... there may be wine at the end of the journey! lol!!

But I must say, after making that one difficult gift decision last night, I feel a tad more positive and uplifted today and I'm actually ... wait for it... CONSIDERING.... perhaps becoming a tad more positive towards the whole event. ;)) There, that's as much of a commitment to "spirit" I can make at this point in the season!!

More wine cures most things, I've found!

So Enerchi, what is the fabulous gift certifictae that you keep alluding to?!?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1354501746|3320969 said:
iLander|1354500917|3320954 said:
Enerchi said:
...and maybe send more prosecco to help with the wrapping??? I wanna wrap at Dee*jay's place!!! :lickout:

Okay, Enerchi, I'll drive up and pick you up in my zippy car, then we'll drive back down to DeeJays!

DeeJay, get ready, I prefer the little marshmallows in my hot chocolate! :wavey:

Well we're gonna need a lot more than 1/2 a bottle of prosecco then! (I actually have EIGHT bottles of it in the back of my SUV in the garage, but I keep forgetting to get the communal shopping cart and bring them up.) When I go down to get them, I'll run out and pick up some mini marshmallows too! ;))

BTW, if you want truly grim, I have been wrapping presents ever since I last posted... cutting the paper with cuticle scissors because that's all I can find in the whole damn house. WHERE ARE ALL THE FVCKING SCISSORS?!? I started with two good pairs on Friday and now there are NONE. What do I do if I lose those? Start gnawing strips of paper off the roll with my teeth?!? ARGH.

THIS is what happens when one drinks as one wraps. :cheeky:
Notice how we always come around to booze here on PS? We can safely assume there are darn few Baptists here. :bigsmile:

The dang tree is up. *sigh* I let hubby do the "putting up", and I'm in charge of decorating. There are gaps and holes and places where branches should be, but aren't. Obviously, he needed my expertise to do this right. Now I'll need a veritable butt load of ornaments to hide the bare spaces. I guess that makes this more like a real tree, though; right? It starts out as Charlie Brown's branch until the foo-foo makes it a Christmas tree.

I strung the bead garland. Am I the only OCD person here who cannot handle a badly garlanded tree? Please tell me I'm not crazy. It has to loop just so. It must. I insist.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
ame|1354546753|3321264 said:
I am never in the "holiday spirit" really. I like to get the items for our adopted families and know that they're taken care of but otherwise...eh. I am not religious at all, and I despise christmas music and decor. quote]

Okay. You're our official PS Curmudgeon.

Congrats, Scrooge! :lol: :bigsmile:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1354547059|3321269 said:
Dee*Jay|1354501746|3320969 said:
iLander|1354500917|3320954 said:
Enerchi said:
...and maybe send more prosecco to help with the wrapping??? I wanna wrap at Dee*jay's place!!! :lickout:

Okay, Enerchi, I'll drive up and pick you up in my zippy car, then we'll drive back down to DeeJays!

DeeJay, get ready, I prefer the little marshmallows in my hot chocolate! :wavey:

Well we're gonna need a lot more than 1/2 a bottle of prosecco then! (I actually have EIGHT bottles of it in the back of my SUV in the garage, but I keep forgetting to get the communal shopping cart and bring them up.) When I go down to get them, I'll run out and pick up some mini marshmallows too! ;))

BTW, if you want truly grim, I have been wrapping presents ever since I last posted... cutting the paper with cuticle scissors because that's all I can find in the whole damn house. WHERE ARE ALL THE FVCKING SCISSORS?!? I started with two good pairs on Friday and now there are NONE. What do I do if I lose those? Start gnawing strips of paper off the roll with my teeth?!? ARGH.

THIS is what happens when one drinks as one wraps. :cheeky:
Notice how we always come around to booze here on PS? We can safely assume there are darn few Baptists here. :bigsmile:

The dang tree is up. *sigh* I let hubby do the "putting up", and I'm in charge of decorating. There are gaps and holes and places where branches should be, but aren't. Obviously, he needed my expertise to do this right. Now I'll need a veritable butt load of ornaments to hide the bare spaces. I guess that makes this more like a real tree, though; right? It starts out as Charlie Brown's branch until the foo-foo makes it a Christmas tree.

I strung the bead garland. Am I the only OCD person here who cannot handle a badly garlanded tree? Please tell me I'm not crazy. It has to loop just so. It must. I insist.

LOL Holly! Sometimes I wonder if my posts make me sound like I'm on my way to booking a room at Betty Ford... ! (I hear the food is quite good there though! :cheeky: )

P.S. - Still no scissor sightings and pretty much all the gifts are wrapped at this point--YIKES.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just getting into the Christmas spirit as of yesterday. Why? Because I got most of my Xmas gift shopping done on Saturday. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders, I find the shopping somewhat stressful.

As for those of you that can't get into the spirit because the weather is so darn nice!!! Well, I suggest you move up here, to where I am...maybe we can do a house exchange ;-) It's been about -15C (32F) with SNOW SNOW SNOW! Oh and I should mention that sunrise is at 830am and sunset is at 415pm which means I go to work and come back from work in the dark. Sigh. However there are a few bright spots with this weather, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing - it's been pretty fun!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1354527554|3321164 said:
Good point, MC, and I think that's a huge part of it. We were seeing Christmas stuff on display right around the same time as Halloween and it threw me off. Why can't we celebrate one holiday, take a few days' rest, then move onto the next? All this rush rush rush to get to Christmas is making my head spin. Then Christmas and New Year's come and go and it's such a big let down. After all the hype for months, it's gone just like *that*.

The Christmas spirit is alive and well at my job and the kids have been talking about Santa. If nothing else, being around little kids who talk of Santa, elves, reindeer, decorating their tree, etc., SHOULD get me in the mood, right? I think I have to get some Christmas crafts under way and see what happens.

We're getting our tree this week (possibly tonight) so hopefully this will help encourage the holiday mood here at the house. Also, my kids know (eta: the truth) about Santa, so I'll talk to them about Santa but my 10 year old just gives my 12 year old funny looks like he thinks *I* should know that he's too cool to still believe in Santa. My rule is they still have to play along with me and my older son is doing so, but my younger is just short of rolling his eyes at me. He's a bit better now that he was given a chocolate Advent calender. Seems that cures the kid's holiday spirit...maybe I should start drinking wine since it is recommended here for the adults. lol! A wine mini-bottle-of-the-day of Christmas advent calendar! ;))

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1354512586|3321103 said:

Yes! We do need a tree thread. I'll take some photos once we have our tree up and decorated! I am going to buy some new ornaments this year, too, to jazz things up. This year, again, is the year we hope our cat can control his temptation to attack all the shiny objects dangling in front of him. He is so incredibly naughty. So naughty! :cheeky:

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1354519679|3321136 said:
It is 93 degrees outside, the sun is BLAZING, not a cloud in sight. Southern hemisphere Christmases suck. :nono: Couldn't be less "in the spirit" if I were possessed by Scrooge himself.
Oi! So Hem christmases are awesome! Beautiful sunny skies, champagne and strawberries with breakfast, opening presents and racing outside to play (without the 10 minute dressing ritual to prevent death by freezing), visiting friends, going to the beach with the family and having a big christmas picnic lunch and seeing everyone else at the beach happy and laughing. Fantastic! :D :sun: :D

AprilBaby said:
Tell me about a New Years tree. Never heard of one.
I'm not Jewish, nor am I answering for Circe, but my guess would be a Rosh Hashanah tree for a Jewish new year, or it's a way of having a christmas tree without calling it that.

Anyone not in the spirit of christmas, just put some of that liquid spirit in, you'll warm up in no time. Glug glug! :D :lol:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not much holiday spirit for me yet. Maybe I'll start shopping this week. Ba-humbug. :)

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Not in the spirit at all... :(sad

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know how I did it but erased my post ugh.

Myself I'm not particularly, but my kids are excited, have their (chocolate) advent calendars and so know exactly what day it is and how many days to Christmas, so their excitement is contagious.

I know once I have the Christmas tree up I will be in the Christmas spirit (I love just zoning out and looking at the tree with all the lights on).

However I have a xmas tree light problem. Both of our strands (1 white, 1 colored) have problems). In particular my colored light strand with the programmable patterns has half the lights out. I HAVE to have the synhronized lights, but I am particular about the color and the patterns. I tried before with leds but the light was too harsh. So I hope I can find a replacement before we put up the tree :???:

One of the things I'm doing this year, is pretty much no shopping in stores. Just not up for it, plus I always spend too much when I do that, because I always see just 1 more thing... So I'm either doing gift cards/money, or having stuff directly shipped. Less work for me, and more likely to stay in budget, which hubby I'm sure appreciates.
The only time I think I will hit the stores, is after xmas when hopefully I will have a little Christmas money.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1354547466|3321273 said:
ame|1354546753|3321264 said:
I am never in the "holiday spirit" really. I like to get the items for our adopted families and know that they're taken care of but otherwise...eh. I am not religious at all, and I despise christmas music and decor.
Okay. You're our official PS Curmudgeon.

Congrats, Scrooge! :lol: :bigsmile:
:wavey: :lol: I will HAPPILY carry that title. There is an approximately 12 hour window where xmas music is "allowable" as long as it's not in earshot of me. Part of xmas eve night and part of xmas day. Can't do the decorations either. I generally want to jam an icepick in my ear or eyes if I have to see or hear it.

Im not into the decorations at all so for the gifts that are exchanged, my wrapping is generally in solid color or non-holiday wrapping. I have an infant nephew who probably won't give a rip, and two other little ones I buy for that are 3 and a half and 7 and a half, though we ship those unwrapped so that their parents can wrap them as we often plan for that to go with something that was part of a bigger gift from my MIL or their parents (my SIL). That allows them to control the order better. I do sometimes wish we could watch that little plan play out in person though. Because it's very well crafted. The birthdays are fun for that too.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1354550685|3321303 said:
Zoe|1354527554|3321164 said:

We're getting our tree this week (possibly tonight) so hopefully this will help encourage the holiday mood here at the house. Also, my kids know (eta: the truth) about Santa, so I'll talk to them about Santa but my 10 year old just gives my 12 year old funny looks like he thinks *I* should know that he's too cool to still believe in Santa. My rule is they still have to play along with me and my older son is doing so, but my younger is just short of rolling his eyes at me. He's a bit better now that he was given a chocolate Advent calender. Seems that cures the kid's holiday spirit...maybe I should start drinking wine since it is recommended here for the adults. lol! A wine mini-bottle-of-the-day of Christmas advent calendar! ;))

Yes the mini bottle of the day advent calendar would be great (either wine or spirits!).

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1354546998|3321268 said:

Sign me up!

D*J...have you been enjoying the Plaza lights?!?!? By FAR one of the best things in KC, in my opinion! And have you eaten at Jack Stack yet? They catered our wedding reception!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vc10um|1354556736|3321399 said:
Dee*Jay|1354546998|3321268 said:

Sign me up!

D*J...have you been enjoying the Plaza lights?!?!? By FAR one of the best things in KC, in my opinion! And have you eaten at Jack Stack yet? They catered our wedding reception!

VC, Jack Stack is my new favorite restaurant!!! It's a little alarming how much BBQ I've had from there in the past few months... :lickout: I live right across the creek from the Plaza (I can actually see it from my balcony and one of the windows in my living room) but I totally forgot about the lights. Over Thanksgiving I visited friends in Phoenix and when I got back and was driving home from the airport around 1 am that Sunday I came over the hill on Broadway and it was all laid out in front of me--what a surprise! Was lovely, but a little shocking, ha ha. I went into the Plaza on Saturday night becaues the KC Porsche club had the holiday party at Brio and it was a total mob scene (well, by KC standards, anyway--was more like a typical evening on Michigan Avenue, LOL). I was SO SO SO glad I could just walk and not have to deal with all the pedestrians and parking.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1354557726|3321411 said:

VC, Jack Stack is my new favorite restaurant!!! It's a little alarming how much BBQ I've had from there in the past few months... :lickout: I live right across the creek from the Plaza (I can actually see it from my balcony and one of the windows in my living room) but I totally forgot about the lights. Over Thanksgiving I visited friends in Phoenix and when I got back and was driving home from the airport around 1 am that Sunday I came over the hill on Broadway and it was all laid out in front of me--what a surprise! Was lovely, but a little shocking, ha ha. I went into the Plaza on Saturday night becaues the KC Porsche club had the holiday party at Brio and it was a total mob scene (well, by KC standards, anyway--was more like a typical evening on Michigan Avenue, LOL). I was SO SO SO glad I could just walk and not have to deal with all the pedestrians and parking.

I'm so jealous! Jack Stack AND Brio?? That's where we had our rehearsal dinner. Hubs and I will be in KC for Thanksgiving next year. We'll have to have a GTG with our Tesla and your Porche on the Plaza with some BBQ. :appl: :lickout:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vc10um|1354561807|3321461 said:
Dee*Jay|1354557726|3321411 said:

I'm so jealous! Jack Stack AND Brio?? That's where we had our rehearsal dinner. Hubs and I will be in KC for Thanksgiving next year. We'll have to have a GTG with our Tesla and your Porche on the Plaza with some BBQ. :appl: :lickout:

YES!!! I always go to Phoenix for T'giving, but we can coordinate and I'll go later/come back earlier to see you! I was just in the Tesla store a few weeks ago and the manager said they are coming out with an SUV next year--I can't wait to see it!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC|1354550685|3321303 said:
maybe I should start drinking wine since it is recommended here for the adults. lol! A wine mini-bottle-of-the-day of Christmas advent calendar! ;))

OH MY GAWD!!! This is brilliant!!! MARKET IT QUICK! And I'll order about 50 on the spot!! MC - you are a visionary!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

I totally approve! :loopy: Wait... are there rules with this? like with the kids, its only 1 per day... can adults play the calendar a bit differently? as in - can I wait until Friday then open up the past week? :Up_to_something:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I went and ordered the kind of lights I need, so getting a little more excited. I'm hoping I can get away with just 1 strand, versus having to deal with 2 30-40 feet strands. They will take 2, 3 days to arrive, so hopefully the kids can be patient.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results