shape
carat
color
clarity

Is anyone else afraid to do BSE's?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Breast self examinations.

Mom died of cancer. FIL died of cancer 2 weeks later. Grandma. Great Aunt. Aunt. The list goes on.

I can't afford not to do BSE's. But they scare me. So I don't do them.

I get my mammogram yearly and then 6 months later my physical and my doctor checks out the ladies.

My younger friend has found a large mass in her breast. We are waiting for the results now.

I need to start doing BSE's.

The hubbie offers. Daily. :lol:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I'm assuming that you're scared of finding something, not scared of doing the actual act, is that right?

Lately I have a renewed vigilance about stuff like this. In August 2011 I went in to my gyno for my annual exam and to get a new prescription of birth control written. I figured I'd be in and out in 20 minutes. And I almost was... but my doctor just happened to be feeling my tonsils and throat when she told me she thought she felt a lump. She said I should have an ultrasound on my neck to check it out. I was SOOOOO annoyed with her. All I wanted was to be in and out of there and now I have to get some stupid lump checked out. "Lame".

Well, the lump turned out to be thyroid cancer. In fact I had many, many lumps that I had never noticed. I ended up having to get my entire thyroid removed and having radiation treatment as well since the cancer had spread to my lymph nodes. I'm totally fine now, just have to take medication every day and get ultrasounds every 6 months. I was only 27 at the time it all happened so it was my first brush with something "serious". Prior to that I pretty much figured that as long as I was young and in good shape, I was invincible. Now I know otherwise. BUT, I'm also not really afraid of finding anything else down the road because I figure if I made it through once, I'll make it through again.

And I know you were joking, but hey if your DH would like to provide that service for you, LET HIM lol!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Yes, finding something.

This may seem silly, but I need to write myself a note and do them during the day. I tend to get a bit anxious at night, always have. I can fret if I don't catch myself. Especially in the evenings. During the day, when I'm not tired, I do better. I feel like I could handle the whole process better during the day (meaning the outcome). Plus, in the event I find something, I can be on the phone to the doctor's office PDQ and hopefully get a same day appointment.

I know I need to get familiar with the ladies so I know what is my own stuff, and what is new.

I used to hate pap exams, so I would buy myself a pair of earrings every time I got one of those...I've got some really nice earrings now :bigsmile: . Now I don't even have to buy them, I just plan what I'm absolutely sure I'm going to get, right after I leave the %$#@ doctor's office. Somehow when I leave, the earrings don't seem necessary anymore.

The hubbie is serious. He used to help me and was very gentle.

Hubbie will help.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
That is so...funny, cute, hilarious, sweet, a fabulous idea.

Thanks sonnyjane.

Laughter chases the monsters away :)) .

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Begonia, the best time to remind yourself to do them, is the week right after your period. Your hormones have settled and the girls will be less tender.

I used to teach women to do it like a "pie" - start at the "crust" and work your way into the centre (areola/nipple), using a clock for guidance. (ie- the 12 - 1 wedge from crust to centre; the 1 - 2 wedge ... and on and on) applying some pressure - enough to compress the skin by a few mm but not enough to try to connect with your spine!

Use as much of the flat portion of your fingers, not necessarily the finger tips - sensitive but it displaces the pressure on the tissue.

Best to do it both laying flat and standing(especially if you are of a certain age --- the laying flat thing, ends up under your arms and you are fishing around to your back to get the girls back and under control!!!) and "look" at them too! Not in a "my these are stunning boob's!" kind of way, but see if one is significantly different from the other and if the nipples are inverted or angled oddly. There is also a little 'wing' of tissue that goes up and out to underneath your arm pits, but if you forget that, at least focus on the main breast tissue.

If you do find something, it could be hormonal fluctuations, but get it checked out - especially if you have a family history.

You can do it, my buddy Begonia!! I know you can - I have faith in you!!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I found the easiest way was to do it was in the shower. Raise your arm and start to gently probe, in the fashion that Enerchi outlined.

I do know how you feel a little bit. This yr I postponed going to be checked out before the holidays as I decided I just couldn't tolerate bad news this yr. I will go when the weather gets better.

Annette

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it easiest to do BSE in the shower as well.

My dad put off going to the doctor and having a colonoscopy for TWO YEARS after he started experiencing symptoms of colon cancer. His dad died of the same cancer. He knew it was hereditary. He let his cancer grow for two entire years because HE WAS AFRAID THEY'D FIND SOMETHING. I am still angry with him and probably always will be.

You owe it to your kids to grow a pair and do self checks, Begonia. This post is way harsh, but sometimes that's what people need to hear. I do wish you continued good health!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock

SJ - for being there last night :saint: And the video, and, and, and...

Enerchi - could you come over? You hold one hand, and I'll check with the other? How are you ? I'm perimenopausal now, and the period only comes every 3-4 months. I have some spotting in between, but there are plenty of days when I'm not tender. Maybe I should write it on the calendar (don't have an i-pad/phone for an app, alas). Come over anyway, I'll put the kettle on. When can you be here? Bring your bling. Bring SJ and Monarch too. Just bein' silly. Not about you coming over tho. Hurry up.

Monarch - I do need to grow a pair. I have so many pairs for so many scary aspects of life, and then they shrivel when it comes to this. Too many losses I think. That's ironic, as it should galvanize me somehow. Shrinkage...I will think of my young Monarchs (sons) and get this done (monthly).

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Begonia|1361655464|3388766 said:

SJ - for being there last night :saint: And the video, and, and, and...

Enerchi - could you come over? You hold one hand, and I'll check with the other? How are you ? I'm perimenopausal now, and the period only comes every 3-4 months. I have some spotting in between, but there are plenty of days when I'm not tender. Maybe I should write it on the calendar (don't have an i-pad/phone for an app, alas). Come over anyway, I'll put the kettle on. When can you be here? Bring your bling. Bring SJ and Monarch too. Just bein' silly. Not about you coming over tho. Hurry up.

Monarch - I do need to grow a pair. I have so many pairs for so many scary aspects of life, and then they shrivel when it comes to this. Too many losses I think. That's ironic, as it should galvanize me somehow. Shrinkage...I will think of my young Monarchs (sons) and get this done (monthly).

Awe!!! I'd be happy to be your support thru this!! You CAN do it and you KNOW you need to! The BSE is simply a screening and monitoring tool - don't be afraid of that. You know the deal of what leaving something to just fester... can do. You are far too intelligent, strong, caring and loving to do that to your family! I know that... You ARE BEGONIA!!! You can handle anything!!! You've taken on some parents in bad kid situations, this is easy peasy!!

GEt yourself up to the shower and just start! Hear me in your head --- start at the crust and work your way in a circular motion, all the way into the areola.... wedge #1 - DONE, now, wedge #2... you can do it!

I'm happy to bring SJ and Monarch along - but I think it would be kinda kinky weird if we all have a go at you!! HAHAHAHA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Must check the "where do you live" thread to see where you are -- who knows, maybe we will be in your area soon!!! (man, I sound like a door to door vacuum or encyclopedia salesman!!!) Tea - perfect! (sometimes there's a little beverage that is like tea--- LONG ISLAND ICED TEA... yummmm.... just sayin'! I'll do the drinking for both of us!)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do bec I hate groping my boobs. But Im sure DH would love the opportunity.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia|1361589880|3388298 said:
The hubbie offers. Daily. :lol:
this is no joke...you should let him squeeze em everyday b/c no one else knows your breast better than your hubby.well, at least no one else should... :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great reminder of a topic!

I am scared to give myself a bse, but routine self bse is something to make a habit out of. Going to have a talk with DH. I know he doesn't check his testicles, so maybe we can check each other routinely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results