shape
carat
color
clarity

impulse purchase....what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I bought this little pendant today totally on impulse as a Christmas present for my daughter-in-law, now I'm wondering if I should return it. What do you modern young women out there honestly think? Would this end up gathering dust in your jewelry box?

The main problem is that it's YG while she wears almost exclusively white metal jewelry. Also, I don't think she's as goofy about antiques as I am. (What was I thinking??
20.gif
)

I guess what really got me about it...besides being very sweet....is that the body of the bug is opal and emerald, her daughters' birth stones.

Could I have it rhodium plated? Should I?

HELP!!
32.gif

widget

000_3003.JPG

finerthings

Shiny_Rock
I''m from the camp that believes Mother in Laws should let their sons buy the jewels for their wives...it just makes life run a little bit smoother!
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your taste Widget!!... but in my case this particular piece would probably sit in my jewelry box. HOWEVER, there are several reasons, and none of these might apply to your DIL! I have never liked 'nature' jewelry (dragonflies, etc), opals and emeralds are not my thing, and I don't have any children! If those were my children's birthstones, I might likely feel differently. I can't tell you whether or not to return it though, because these are personal opinions to me, and you are the one you knows your DIL's tastes.

I also wear strictly white metal jewelry. I have a ton of yg stuff, but it doesn't get much wear. That's not to say I don't pull it out every so often, because I do alternate sometimes...so if you decide to give it to her you might leave it as a yg piece and tell her that rhodium plating it is an option if she wants it to be a white metal to match more of her stuff.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
widget, you''re so cute, I love it. ....... but if she wears mostly WG, or platinum she won''t love this. Also it''s an older persons piece, speaking as an older person here, relative to most the posters here please don''t rhoduim plate it. It would take away from it''s beauty. I would return it, or on second thought you can always give it to me, won''t collect dust on my neck, haha.
31.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, you guys...I needed that!

Actually I pretty much decided to return it as I was posting!

This jewelry thing with me really is a disease. I''d been eying this piece for quite a while, but today the sales lady mentioned that someone else had been looking at it earlier and that did it...I bit.

Do you think there''s some kind of antidote for this illness???
33.gif

widget

E B

Ideal_Rock
I'm 22, and I think it's a great piece! A fun little pendant to wear with a cute outfit. I think she'd love the fact that the little bug's body is made up of her children's birthstones, but, then again, jewelry is so personal. Mention it to your son and see what he says. He probably knows what his wife would or wouldn't wear.

ETA: oops, I see you've decided!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2005 8:47:13 PM
Author: widget
Do you think there''s some kind of antidote for this illness???
33.gif

widget
If so, I would REALLY love the antidote please...before my husband divorces me.
2.gif
I''m on PS or looking at jewelry catalogs so much, he just rolls his eyes at this point. I can''t help myself!!!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually as a PIN that maybe could work out...my sister is young and hip (15) and all the girls now are wearing vintage pieces of jewelry as pins on their corduroy jackets etc. She goes into antique stores to look for these types of things specifically. Not sure HOW modern your DIL is...but it''s a really charming piece...does she or would she wear it as a pin maybe? As a pendant I''d have to say no...but it''s a cutie.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s not an illness, you were just being your sweet self.
2.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I may be too late but why not keep it for yourself Widget?
Early holiday gift for you!
You seem to really like it!

It was a very nice gesture on your part but if you don''t think she''ll like it then you made a good choice by returning it.

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I''m 21, and when I first saw it thought "I wouldn''t wear it" but as I read the post.. I could envision myself wearing it with a cute little black jacket, or anything fun..
I love receiving jewelry from anyone(who matters to me) because I love having stories from where they came from (it eventually gets old when I say "it came from dan"..etc..
SO I would keep it.

I''d also consider what kind of jewelry person she is though,
("i wear only one pendant every day without altering" or the "I like to switch it up")
Opals are soft stones(I''m sure you''re aware of this)... its my birthstone(WHY COULDN''T I be born in april! hehe)

Good Luck! let us know!!

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Give it to your husband and tell him Santa dropped it off to you by mistake. Hopefully he''ll catch the hint and then you can have it all to yourself. Sounds like you love it. I agree that I wouldn''t give it as a gift. Bug jewelery freaks most people out. If she likes white metals she won''t like this. Sorry.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
If my MIL gave me a piece like this, I''d be flattered, whether I liked it or not! I think it''s a cute piece, and even if she doesn''t like it, she might like to save it for one of her daughters. I can totally see it as a pin on a jacket lapel. Here''s a thought, why not keep it and wear it around her and see what she says? If she notices and loves it, give it to her!

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, maybe I am just a little different for my age but I am in my twenties, and I think that pendant is cute! I''d wear if my MIL gave that to me. Probably only occasionally though because I wear mostly white metals. I like antique looking things. You are so thoughtful Widget! If you don''t think your DIL would like it, would you keep it for yourself? It''d be great as a pin too.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget, you are a sweet and thoughtful MIL and I love the piece! I guess it is hard to tell if she would love it, but as Mara says these vintage pieces are becoming popular and she might just adore it! However I completely agree you deserve to keep it for yourself, I know how much you love vintage jewellery
31.gif
emsmilep.gif
Hey the holidays are ALMOST here, every gal deserves ONE little early sparkly gift!
3.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That beauty is too good to give to anybody - I''d keep it for myself!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget, if I was your DIL I would absolutely love it.............of course, I''m an "old fogey", love vintage pieces and YG. I don''t know how your DIL would react, though. Jewelry is such an individual choice. Does she have any other vintage pieces that she wears or is everything more modern?

If you decide that it''s not for her, I agree with everyone that you should keep it for yourself! It''s lovely.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I''m not exactly modern...and not THAT young LOL (at 32)...
I think it''s an adorable piece...and I love the fact that those are birth stones...Would I wear it....Hmmm, probably not...Would I love that you got it for me...ABSOLUTELY!! :)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been giving my neices & friends vintage jewelry for years now. They wear it w/ frequency. The comment I hear from them repeatedly is that they enjoy wearing it because soooo many people (strangers included) comment on it. It''s not your run of the mill boring "return to tiffany" necklace that every tom, dick and harry has.

I like anything with a history. But, then my ring is about the only "new" piece of jewelry I bought in years.

koko

Shiny_Rock
Widget, I couldn''t bring myself to return such a one of a kind vintage piece....you should keep it!! I also love Mara''s idea of giving it to your dil as a PIN!! My dtr. is 24 yrs. old, she is very stylish and minimalist, but loves antiques & vintage....however, she will only wear platinum or white gold. I wouldn''t have it rhodium plated because it won''t look so good when it starts to wear off & has to be re-plated....good luck with it.
13.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Widget,
I love your taste too 99.9% of the time ... but I''d be horrified by that pendant. Not because it''s so bad but because it''s "so not me" and if it''d been given to me by my beloved MIL I''d feel "oblidged" to wear it out of affection for her, indifferent to my tastes. But I''d wear it begrudgingly!

I 2nd the notion that jewels purchased from family members other than spouses are "dicey" options at best. (This doesn''t hold true IMO for family heirlooms & other things passed down ... even "fugly" ones are well-loved & cared for -- out of respect for family history and the people who once loved/wore them)

Wouldn''t it be hysterical to keep passing down an "heirloom" that the original owner hated. Maybe if we hate something we should destroy it somehow, to stop the cycle of "fugly"! (ehh - tangent, sorry Widget!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results