shape
carat
color
clarity

If you drink wine I need help!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently took a job which requires that I open multiple bottles of nice wine quickly and efficiently. I am not a wine drinker, and currently I am using one of those flimsy waiter's corkscrew bottle openers for table service. My hands fumble, the corkscrew never goes in straight, and I nearly broke the cork in a $300 bottle of wine tonight. Luckily my bar patrons were chatting instead of staring me down while I breezily explained their selection (while silently panicking).

Basically, I need serious help in finding a bottle opener. I know practice makes perfect, but at this point I need something pretty foolproof :oops: and easy. It can be electric or manual as long as it works!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get something like this - that little "push" thingie makes all the difference. Also look for a good (thinner) screw portion.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/le-cr...m=Le+Creuset&gclid=COynvd-b5sUCFZSCfgodCZcA0A

A less expensive version of the same thing: http://www.winedevices.com/product-...AdA&gdftrk=gdfV26791_a_7c378_a_7c954_a_7c5315

(I got mine at a local winer and it was labeled for the winery. I'm not sure who the maker is.) BTW I love the rabbit ears style too - especially for difficult bottles - but it wouldn't work if you need something you can slip into a pocket.

Another opinion: http://top10bestpro.com/top-10-best-corkscrews-2015/

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, opening a bottle of wine smoothly takes some practice :). I was a server at a nice restaurant for years and I just used a basic metal wine key that one of the wineries gave to me. I'm pretty sure it was in the not expensive category.

What worked for me was to grab the bottle by its neck in my left hand (I'm right handed so reverse if you're a lefty) and then deliberately place the tip of the screw in the middle of the cork. Then poke down with the screw firmly so that the cork screw has punctured the cork. It only needs to be in the cork roughly half an inch, then move your hand up to the handle and gently twist with a little downward pressure. Once you've punctured the cork in the middle, you really don't have to press hard to get the screw to twist all the way down the cork. Just lightly twist the handle and it does all the work for you. If you're having trouble pulling the cork out, very gently move the cork side to side. If the cork is out say half way and you start to feel resistance, don't pull as you may break it in half. Simply twist the cork screw in one or two rotations and pull again.

All that said, you may be doing just that or better! I did find that a wine key with a very pointy screw tip made a huge difference. Ones with blunter tips were bad. It punctures a giant hole and breaks up the cork so its harder to pull out.

Good luck, you'll get the hang of it!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This thread got me thinking...

As someone who has worked in fine dining and closely with alcohol - I find it disappointing that most wineries that call themselves 'fine' still use cork. Anyone with a bit of knowledge about wine can tell you that the screw-cap option is by far better than the cork. As osmosis into the cork, it can be a rolld of the dice as to whether your 15 year old red wine is of high quality and delectable taste or if it tastes like your dog after rolling around in the swamp. The screw cap may seem cheaper, but it is by far the better option.

Elliot86, get the boss to change the inventory!! hahaha :lol:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass said:
This thread got me thinking...

As someone who has worked in fine dining and closely with alcohol - I find it disappointing that most wineries that call themselves 'fine' still use cork. Anyone with a bit of knowledge about wine can tell you that the screw-cap option is by far better than the cork. As osmosis into the cork, it can be a rolld of the dice as to whether your 15 year old red wine is of high quality and delectable taste or if it tastes like your dog after rolling around in the swamp. The screw cap may seem cheaper, but it is by far the better option.

Elliot86, get the boss to change the inventory!! hahaha :lol:

+1

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
DH can't open a wine bottle to save his life so we have every gadget out there (including the rabbit). To be honest I much prefer my old wine key that I was given for free at a local winery. I am much faster with it and have had fewer mistakes than with the rabbit. I think it just takes some time to get confident using a wine key, but once you are, it is pretty efficient.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate the suggestions and will definitely look into them! I suspect it might be partly a confidence issue, but I have always been wine challenged. I was hoping a machine might exist that magically opens all bottles with the click of a button, though how AWESOME would it be if all the bottles were twist caps! :lol: Right now the only ones we have that twist are the cheapie house rose and pinot grigio, which are pretty infrequently ordered.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I worked in a restaurant, I used a double hinge wine opener. Makes a HUGE difference.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't help as I buy screw top single glass serving bottles.

Good luck!

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results