shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I don't like the new 18k YG earrings from BN - pix

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
So, those 18k yellow gold earrings I ordered from BN with 26% off arrived. I don't think they look like the picture. I thought they'd be a very deep yellow like the Tiffany shade and I thought the matte-looking part would be matte. But it's diamond-cut metal, meaning that it's sparkly. The earrings don't have that Byzantine, Marco Bicego yellow-brushed-metal look that I wanted, and that the image seems to convey. What do you think? They were 18k and cost $215.

Website pic first:

blue_nile_byzantine_earrings__0.jpg

gedc2684.jpg

gedc2688.jpg

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Re: I think I don't like the new 18k YG earrings from BN - p

Return them and wait for other designs since BN Is often coming up with new things.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, I see what you mean, they do look different. The diamond cutting is more pronounced IRL, and the gold is shinier than in the pic. I still think they're pretty, especially in the pic taken at a distance, but sounds like they're just not what you had in mind. Boo! Sorry these weren't as expected Smith :((

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, I see what you mean too.

I vote return 'em and throw in an extra 1k and get the Entrelaces necklace.
:Up_to_something:
(Helpful, no?)

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Thanks everyone! Just checking that it's not my imagination.

Yssie, you are a baaaaaad influence! You should change your screen name to Enerchi2!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Smith,

Do you like hoop earrings at all. Ilove gold hoops for wearing almost anytime. I am going to be a bit rude here. I think the style of those earrings are old ladyish, although of course they called them byzantine. Byzantine in these gold pieces just doesn't do it for me. In a museum, perhaps, it would.

Find somethng younger looking. The older women here, in my area, like the Byzantine look. You're such a pretty thing, I think you would look very classic in gold hoops.

Annette

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have to agree with smithcompton - and I'm an old lady! :wink2: I think hoop earrings are incredibly versatile. It's easily the earring style I reach for most often, which is why I have several pair in both gold and silver.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto Annette and VRBeauty. Hoops are becoming on everyone IMO and so versatile. I recommend diamond hoops and classic gold hoops. I have hoops in many different sizes most with diamonds but a few simple gold hoops. You cannot go wrong with hoops-they are both fun and classic, youthful and sophisticated. All at the same time IMO. LOL sounds crazy but it's true! :cheeky:

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock

I was unimpressed by the tiny earrrng backs. For that kind of money thy should have sent the big ones.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

I vote send 'em back too, Smith. They don't have the je-ne-sais-quoi (fancy schmancy!) IRL that they did in the web pic. I kind of agree with Annette -- in your photos they look a bit matronly, too settled for you. Go for something with more zing to it! :wavey:

--- Laurie
P.S. I love hoops too -- wear them the most out of all my earrings. I have them in gold, several styles; white sappire; gold w/teeny blue sapphires. They never age, go out of style, or refuse to look good with whatever I'm wearing.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think I don't like them, either, Smith. Sorry. Something about the style combined with the diamond cut detail just doesn't appeal to me at all.

I have a pair of their Interlaced Love Knot earrings in tricolor 14k. I see they aren't offering those any longer, but I've really enjoyed the style. They have a bit of detail but it isn't diamond cut, so it's not shiny, you know?

Have you looked at Pearlman's site, at the Gurhan pieces he carries? He is a lovely man, and Gurhan is to die for, ask AGBF. I have several s/s Skittles rings and a set of 24k yg hammered 1 mm stacking bands. It is fantastic stuff, especially if you love high karat gold. The color is definitely deep and rich (the yellow gold.)

justginger

Ideal_Rock

How disappointing - I don't think they have the same look IRL as that photo at all. I'd send them back. No sense talking yourself into liking something that you obviously don't. That money can be better spent on an item that's just right. :))

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Not only does the finish seem different (shiny and diamond cut instead of matte) but the proportions seem off as well. The rings seem larger and less well defined somehow. Instead of looking contemporary, they remind me of 80s jewelry.

However, I am not aboard the hoop train. I have never been much of a fan of hoops.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock

You don't have to justify anything. You like what you like! You don't like what you don't like!
(The earrings don't mind). So if you can't see yourself wearing 'em, send 'em back.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for your input, everyone! :wavey: And thanks for the compliment, Smitcompton :oops:

You know, I've actually gone off hoops. I used to wear them all the time, age 15-early thirties. But in the last five years or so, I've really gone off them in a big way. I don't know why. Perhaps any hoops at all just have a touch of the Eighties/early Nineties about them, for me. I'm going to get shot now, aren't I?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who also thought these new BN earrings looked Eighties, and not as nice the photos. Just wanted to check that it wasn't my imagination.

Back they go!

Now I have a dilemma. I've searched for some nice dangly yellow gold earrings in a long, thin design for about 15 months now. I like a pair at Tiffany, but they're 1k. I also like a plain gold necklace at Tiffany for $1200, and a Cartier Entrelaces preowned necklace for $1350, if the store still has it. What's putting me off all these items is that over 1k is a lot for plain gold. My formula is usually that for 1k there must be half a carat's worth of well-cut melee involved, at least. (Example: My 14k white old princess-cut half-eternity has nine diamonds totalling 0.50 and is really sparkly.)

However, there don't seem to be any cheaper gold earrings that I really like. I've looked everywhere. I did look at Marco Bicego - and Monarch, I looked at Gurhan via Pearlman's but they're rather expensive, although thanks for the suggestion - and Bicego has some for $600, but they're not as nice as the Tiffany ones. My SA showed the Tiffany ones to me over a year ago and I'm still struggling with the whole "1k for plain metal" scenario, when usually I get a whole lotta sparkle for that money!

Yssie, I know I preached about the Tiffany design etc but I think that was in the thread where we were discussing their silver! I do have gold items from Tiffany, but I've stuck to the ones that are a reasonable price for Tiffany gold, e.g. the gold bow earrings for $350, the gold infinity necklace for $600, etc.

So my formula of "Each 1k must equal 0.50 of diamonds" (for finished jewellery pieces, not loose stones) has served me well, but perhaps now it's holding me back from some sophisticated designer pieces...

Decisions. Would YOU spend 1k on plain gold? I saw the shoe thread and have nothing to contribute as I don't spend money on shoes. See, I'm really very price-sensitive....but on the other hand, if you can't find any plain metal items that are as nice as the designer ones...

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok, this is terribly enabling of me, and I know not everyone is going to agree with me…but I think you should go for the Tiffany earrings Smith! You first mentioned them a while ago, and you are still talking about them, and thinking about them, and you seem to just really like them a lot…so I think you should go for it! If they are going to give you a good feeling every time you put them on, I say it's worth it :devil: It sounds like you've put a big effort in trying to find another pair, but you're just not finding anything you like better…so maybe that's a sign they are the earrings for you!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock

I agree, get what you really truly want!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

junebug17|1384385018|3556001 said:
Ok, this is terribly enabling of me, and I know not everyone is going to agree with me…but I think you should go for the Tiffany earrings Smith! You first mentioned them a while ago, and you are still talking about them, and thinking about them, and you seem to just really like them a lot…so I think you should go for it! If they are going to give you a good feeling every time you put them on, I say it's worth it :devil: It sounds like you've put a big effort in trying to find another pair, but you're just not finding anything you like better…so maybe that's a sign they are the earrings for you!

Thanks Junebug!!! That's nice to hear. I'm just not sure if I would them as much with that price tag, you know?

Thanks to everyone else, too! :wavey:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

My mom once bought some Tiffany hoops, and they were heavy, in a nice way, because they were solid gold. I bet the Tiffany earrings you like are heavier gold than the BN ones.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Yes, although designer brands can be heinously expensive, they sometimes have their more reasonably-priced pieces which are also heavy, and they can represent a great value of quality, style, customer service and luxury. For example, Tiffany has these solid gold twist hoops, 18k at the moment for $500. I don't think that's a bad price for Tiffany gold earrings.

I have the Cartier Entrelaces ring in white gold, preowned, and although it's small and only plain metal, it's SO heavy! I held the matching necklace in my palm and it was like lead.

26546656_870490_ed.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hey Smith!
Don't settle - life is too short to wear bad jewelry/drink bad wine/stay in a bad relationship... whatever....

You have a vast collection of lovely pieces, so if this BN isn't floating your boat, if it were me, I'd go ahead and get the Tiffany ones you've been thinking of or go for the Cartier Entralaces pair. You've been considering both pairs for a while now, so instead of trying to 'tame the beast' with something else, just go for it!! Buy what you really love - get the name brand and just enjoy!!

See??? its not so hard to fall victim to my persuasive powers now, is it??? :Up_to_something: "you will buy the "good" earrings... you will LOVE them... you will be happier when you are wearing them... Enerchi is AMAZING..." (oops, how did that get in there?? tee hee!)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi|1384489117|3556836 said:
Hey Smith!
Don't settle - life is too short to wear bad jewelry/drink bad wine/stay in a bad relationship... whatever....

You have a vast collection of lovely pieces, so if this BN isn't floating your boat, if it were me, I'd go ahead and get the Tiffany ones you've been thinking of or go for the Cartier Entralaces pair. You've been considering both pairs for a while now, so instead of trying to 'tame the beast' with something else, just go for it!! Buy what you really love - get the name brand and just enjoy!!

See??? its not so hard to fall victim to my persuasive powers now, is it??? :Up_to_something: "you will buy the "good" earrings... you will LOVE them... you will be happier when you are wearing them... Enerchi is AMAZING..." (oops, how did that get in there?? tee hee!)

Yup to all! ;-)

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

I saw those on the Pearlman's website. They're very pretty. I'm looking for something in a longer design, though. As regards 24k, the only time I bought it was back when it was dirt cheap. I used to travel to the Middle East for work in 2004 and I bought pieces in Bahrain and Dubai. Mostly it was 22k. I got 22k earrings and rings for about $45 equivalent each - but I went searching for 24k pieces. Interestingly, since it's so soft there wasn't much, but I did hunt down a thick chunky 24k ring. It weighs 11 grams and it came through on my card as 90 pounds sterling, so about $140.00. You paid the weight in gold of the international daily gold rate, and then a nominal sum for the workmanship. The workmanship fee on my 24k ring was a mere seven pounds sterling, so about 12 dollars equivalent.

So you can see that having paid those prices for gold, I can't now countenance Gurhan's 24k prices! Yes, I know gold has gone up a long way since then!

At Dubai airport in 2004, there were gold ingots for sale, for about 20k sterling. I should have bought one. Imagine what it'd be worth now.

Here's my cheapie 24k ring! I got it from the gold souk in Dubai and, interestingly, the salesman wasn't very nice. I was dressed in appropriate black covered-up garb, but when he showed me the price on the calculator, he kind of slapped it across the counter at me. Dubai is very Westernised and I had made an effort to cover up etc, and I was just another tourist buying things in the gold souk. I have no idea what his problem was! But I really wanted a 24k ring, and that was the only place which sold them. You'd think there would be more 24k in the gold souk, wouldn't you?

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-24-carat-gold-ring-from-dubai.171932/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-24-carat-gold-ring-from-dubai.171932/[/URL]

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

VRBeauty - here are Blue Nile's Gurhan knock-offs! I'm not sure where Blue Nile gets off charging $895 for 14k and teensy tiny diamonds.

45842_main.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Smith, gorgeous ring! Some cheapy, yow. 8-)

So are you going to get the Tiff or Cartier earrings? Go for it, girl. I don't think $500 is too much for those twist hoops, since they're solid rather than hollow.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

I'm chewing it over, JewelFreak! Much chewing, which is all part of the pleasure of jewellery-buying!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

Please don't get the hoops if you are off of hoops. Its fun to look. Don't let your money stash burn a hole in your pocket. Add some Christmas and birthday money(I call that free money) and keep looking till you find something you love. Add some money to your stash when you can.

You like designer names. So keep looking until you are thrilled with what you buy. Even if it costs more. Love that 24 kt ring.

Annette

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Smith,
I understand all too well about feeling reluctant to pay more than $1K USD for nothing but metal only. If so, that had better be a very hefty 24K gold piece or something similar. :bigsmile: I've purchased many 22k and 24k jewellery where I've paid only the current gold price + nominal workmanship fee but this has all been outside the US.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

If they're not what you were hoping for, then return them.

It seems that's happened with BN items I've ordered (sent back about half the stuff) b/c it didn't look right in person. Luckily they have excellent customer service/return policy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results