carat
color
clarity

I need a good book!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemzy|1383246520|3548279 said:
You could try Douglas Kennedy, very good reading for a cruise The Pursuit of Happiness was great, also The Moment, Leaving the World and more.
And if you liked Maeve Binchy do try Rosamund Pilcher,there are lots of lovely books by her. If you want a keep you on the edge of your cabin bed pager turner crime series would really recommend Stig Larsson series starting with Girl with The Dragon Tattoo.

Oh yes, I second this endorsement for British author Rosamunde Pilcher - my two favorites are The Shell Seekers and September - I reread these every couple of years!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I've made my book selection and wanted to update you. Thank you so much to everyone for the suggestions:

1) Tara Road
2) Gone Girl
3) 50 Shades of Gray
4) Bridget Jones Mad About the Boy

The first three I was able to get as a free Kindle download from the library, but I will have to buy Bridget Jones...which I will happily do and read first :)

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to try and word this as carefully as possible; I finished Bridget Jones. It's really good; actually, I think it's kinda beautiful and very astute.

It deals with...some different subject matter than the first two and I'm not sure it would be my first choice for poolside vacation reading. There's a big fat spoiler in why, although it's revealed fairly early on. I'll spill if you want, but not if you don't want to know ::)

amc80

Ideal_Rock
aviastar said:
I'm going to try and word this as carefully as possible; I finished Bridget Jones. It's really good; actually, I think it's kinda beautiful and very astute. It deals with...some different subject matter than the first two and I'm not sure it would be my first choice for poolside vacation reading. There's a big fat spoiler in why, although it's revealed fairly early on. I'll spill if you want, but not if you don't want to know ::)

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I figure it's my only chance to read it since I don't read at home...and now I'm even more curious than before!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't know there was another Bridget Jones book out. I'll have to check it out. Let me know how you like Gone Girl.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1383846786|3552229 said:
I'm going to try and word this as carefully as possible; I finished Bridget Jones. It's really good; actually, I think it's kinda beautiful and very astute.

It deals with...some different subject matter than the first two and I'm not sure it would be my first choice for poolside vacation reading. There's a big fat spoiler in why, although it's revealed fairly early on. I'll spill if you want, but not if you don't want to know ::)

I started reading this early and see what you were talking about. Definitely unexpected. I had hoped they'd make a 3rd movie but now I sort of hope they don't.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1383176957|3547829 said:
VRBeauty|1383147680|3547497 said:
TooPatient|1383145300|3547468 said:
The Cat Who.... series is sort of love/hate for me. The writing is good. I've got no problems there. Some of the stories just irritate me for some not-really-identifiable reason. But I LOVE the cats and the human who serves them!

I have to admit that I've read every last book in that series! ;-)

I may have 8 or 10 (or so...) in my home library.... :bigsmile:

I may also be watching Half Price Books for more to show up on clearance -- got the last batch of hardcovers on sale for $1 each!

TooPatient -
I recently came across "Short & Tall Tales, Moose County Legends Collected by James Mackintosh Qwilleran" at a library book sale. As the title suggests, it purports to be the collection of Moose County legends that Qwill collected as he talked to his friends and neighbors and was going to publish "someday." Lillian Jackson Braun published this book in 2002. (I don't recall the completion of Qwill's book being mentioned in any of the Koko and Yum Yum books, but I pretty much inhaled most of those books so it's possible I just missed the reference.) Anyhow, I hadn't read it before, I guess because it wasn't part of the "The cat who" sequence. It was nice to find a "new to me" part of this series and to see familiar names, even though the stories are just fragments that don't tell us anything more about the Qwill story. And it's nice to read more from Lilian Jackson Braun at her best. For me, this book was a far more satisfying end for the "the cat who" series than "60 Whiskers," the last book Ms. Braun published.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1383858572|3552321 said:
I didn't know there was another Bridget Jones book out. I'll have to check it out. Let me know how you like Gone Girl.

amc80 said:
I've made my book selection and wanted to update you. Thank you so much to everyone for the suggestions:

1) Tara Road
2) Gone Girl
3) 50 Shades of Gray
4) Bridget Jones Mad About the Boy

The first three I was able to get as a free Kindle download from the library, but I will have to buy Bridget Jones...which I will happily do and read first :)

I read Tara Road, Bridget Jones and Gone Girl and enjoyed them. My dh also read Gone Girl based on my rec and liked it as well.

I wasn't expecting to like the 3rd Bridget Jones book as much as I did. Enjoy. :read:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a big chick lit fan in general, but I did really like Jane Green's "Jemima J," and ditto the other ladies to Jennifer Weiner's "Good in bed."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results