shape
carat
color
clarity

I''''m going back to school

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
through correspondence
34.gif
. Since I''m always on PS looking, drooling and learning of diamonds and colored gemstones, my DH has persuaded me to take a Gemology course. Right now, I''m taking the Gemology course through IGS (International Gemology Society). My Dh is buying me some of the neat toys (tools) - stereo gemology microscope with a ccd camera that captures images and shows them on my PC screen (that''s so cool), Gemology Tools software, some colored stones and cheap diamonds (off eBay) to play around with.

Throughout the reading material there are self tests that I can take, I can say that being on PS has certainly paid off. I''ve scored perfectly in all the diamond tests. I''ve got a lot of work and studying to do with the colored gemstones though but it shall be challenging.

Once I finish the course and pass, I will receive a certificate of an Professional Gemologist.

My goal is to finish this course within 6 months or less and then take the GIA Distance Education and get my GG.

Well, I just wanted to share my excitement. Being 32, I think I found my calling. When I grow up, I want to be a jewelery appraiser, mostly diamonds though
31.gif
31.gif

Thanks PS!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is awesome good for you!!! And good luck with your studies. I think being an apparaiser would be a very rewarding career. Yay for you and so glad you are following your passion. I wish you the best of luck!!!
36.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Good for you!

I''ve been looking into doing the same thing, although I''m lucky to live here in NY where I could take classes at the GIA if my schedule permits.

Have you also looked into working with an appraiser as you continue your studies? The person who appraised my diamond offered to mentor me should I decide to take the GIA classes. That would allow me to use a lot of the equipment and tools they have in the office and might make colored stone identification a little easier. Maybe you could contact local appraisers to see if they would be willing to help you.

Congrats on following your dream and let us know how you''re doing.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Cdn that''s so neat
1.gif
Congrats on making the decision and I wish you lots of fun in your studies
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! I went to college as a mature student some years ago to do my animal qualifications and I had such a great time with all of it. Good for you for doing this, I wish you tons of luck and happiness with your new project!

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
I''m jealous. My GG will have to wait until I retire (my small set of tools rests very little used on my desk at home). Kudos to your DH for his support.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the support and well wishes!

Date: 1/26/2006 9:34:25 PM
Author: fountainfairfax
Good for you!

I''ve been looking into doing the same thing, although I''m lucky to live here in NY where I could take classes at the GIA if my schedule permits.

Have you also looked into working with an appraiser as you continue your studies? The person who appraised my diamond offered to mentor me should I decide to take the GIA classes. That would allow me to use a lot of the equipment and tools they have in the office and might make colored stone identification a little easier. Maybe you could contact local appraisers to see if they would be willing to help you.

Congrats on following your dream and let us know how you''re doing.
Working with an appraiser is an excellent idea. I have never thought of that. I guess that would be way to get my foot in the door.
Your very lucky to be near one of the GIA campuses.I would love to take the course through one of the campuses. But the distance ed. will have to do for now. I will however need to go to one of the GIA labs/workrooms to do the practical areas of the course. I''ve always wanted to go to NY. I might take the opportunity to do my lab pratical there and extend it into a vacation.
31.gif

GemKlctr: I''m jealous of you as well, you have all of those beautiful gems that I certainly can use.I have a Gemology Tool software downloaded on my computer that I am dying to use but I don''t have any loose stones or gems to use it with. Can I borrow some of yours? Mind you, you might not get any of them back though.
31.gif
31.gif

I think my Dh iis supportive of me because he wants my attention focused on learning and using my knowledge to make an income instead of always taking my knowledge and drying up the bank account.
9.gif

Once again, thanks for the support and I hope to have the ''GG'' following my name soon..

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that is such an exciting thing to do. I''m really happy for you and wish you lots of success. GOOD LUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results