shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm a wreck- Oreo was injured this morning

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would really appreciate insight if anyone here has had a similar experience while I wait for the vet's office to get back to me. The walk in emergency clinic doesn't open for another 40 minutes.

This morning we were all starting our day as usual, SO was making breakfast and I was making coffee. We had milk, bacon,and eggs on the counter so naturally Oreo hopped up to explore. We don't like her getting on the counter but she does it constantly.

So she hops up and SO says "Come on Oh-Roe, get down" and goes to scoop her up. She attempts to dart in front of him to get to the food but instead her foot slipped from off the counter and into the slightly ajar silver drawer, and she ended up falling off the counter with her leg still stuck at an angle in the drawer.

SO immediately reached for her but she let out a scream that sounded human. He tried to get her back in his arms but she was thrashing so hard he couldn't. She has been hiding under the bed and won't let anyone near, is even hissing and growling at Bear. SO put his hand under the bed to coax her out and she tried to bite him. I'm not going to work this morning, in fact I am writing this on the floor by my bedside where she is hiding. SO is heartbroken, he thinks it is his fault for trying to get her off the counter. I can't stop crying. We love her so much and I can't believe this is happening to her.

I'm going to head off now and try to get her in the carrier and possibly sit outside the clinic until they open. I would greatly appreciate ANY advice about this. I just need to know she didn't break her leg ;( ;( ;(

justginger

Ideal_Rock
How distressing for you! ;(

I am sending you my best wishes -- but even if she DID break her leg, she can heal. Accidents happen, your SO mustn't blame himself. Goodness only knows what would have happened to her if you hadn't opened your home to her in the first place.

Big, big hugs.

LAsammy

Rough_Rock
I was a vet tech for 12 years so my gut says she might have dislocated her hip? Or possibly broke something...I think something broken is unlikely. I know how terrifying it can be to have your pet injured. Hopefully she just got the poop scared out of her and she’s just terrified. Either way a trip to the vet is not cheap, sounds like she needs an x-ray with possible sedation. Good luck!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry! I'm sending lots of dust to Oreo. I agree that even if her leg is broken, that is very fixable. And her "fight" instinct is completely normal, it's just the brain's way of keeping itself alert to protect an injury. Once she's more comfortable, she will relax and be her normal self again.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is the WORST when our animal family isn't feeling well. They can't speak to tell you where and how bad and they have that instinct to hide and protect themselves. They are pretty tough, though. Hopefully it is just minor and Oreo is just scared right now.

I think the worst part will be getting her out so she can go to the vet. She's already scared so it probably won't be easy. Can you get her out with some of her favorite food bites? Or just leave her alone in the room with food bites (or toys or whatever) and let her come out into quiet?

If you need it, some vets will make house-calls. We had one that came out to see our older cat. Cost about an extra $100 per visit, but well worth it to avoid the misery of a car ride for her.

Sending you lots of hugs and healthy Oreo dust!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
UGH - I am so sorry to hear this! I know the panic that rises when our pets are injured, and I'm sure you're beside yourself.

It's pretty normal for animals to rebuff attempts to help them when they are hurt, even though it's heartbreaking for us as owners. Just put on the oven mitts or whatever it takes to collect her into the carrier.

Keeping you all in my thoughts; I'm sure it's treatable but will just be a bit of an adjustment. Poor SO - I'm sure he feels horrible, but it's not anyone's fault. Accidents happen, even to our furry kids.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry. I can only imagine how you're feeling right now. Nothing is worse than not being able to make them feel better. Our pets are
Ike our children. All you can really do is be at the clinic waiting when they open. Does the vet have an emergency number you can call. I can't imagine them not coming in early for you. Sending lots of dust your way and please keep us posted. Hugs.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Elliot, I am so sorry! It is so awful when a pet is hurt because they can't tell you anything! I'm sure she will be ok. Hugs to you! Hope your baby has an easy time of it at the vet!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Eep poor kitty!

Does sound like something that can be fixed.

Can you lift the mattress off of the bed and pick her up? Might be easier than dragging her.

Good luck!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no ;( Elliot I am so sorry. Please don't blame yourselves. The main thing is to get her examined and treated. I am thinking good thoughts and sending healing vibes to your darling Oreo. And big hugs to you and your dh too.

They do have 9 lives remember and she will be ok. Fingers toes and everything else crossed for her full recovery!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry your baby is hurt! Its my greatest fear for my pets. I hate the idea of them being in pain. I hope its not too serious and fixed very quickly!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no ;( poor baby...and poor you guys :(( get better Oreo

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a thread title I ever wanted to see. :(sad It all sounds really, really traumatic. Please let us know as soon as possible how she/you are doing. I'm worried that you can't even get her out from under the bed to get her to the vets. Sending all my positive thoughts, dust and prayers your family's way.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope your dear kitty is okay.
I hope you are okay too, how upsetting!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww... hugs to {{{Oreo}}} and Oreo's mama and daddy!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all the kind words and support. I tried to get her to come out (gently) and she huddled into a tiny ball in the corner. I called the vet weeping and the tech listened to what had happened and said a broken leg seems unlikely but they are going to have to x-ray to tell anything. Since Oreo is so distressed it is advised to let her stay put for a few hours and if she's still hiding we will pony up for a house call.

She is eating and drinking and gave my hand a slight headbutt, but is otherwise unable to put weight on her leg. The worst was when she laid down on her side and looked at me with a tiny "meow." Her pain is palpable. SO went to work with his head down and tears in his eyes. I have seen that man cry twice, ever.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending lots of kitty and people dust...nothing feels worst then thinking you've hurt your pet. I always feel so guilty when I just trip
over mine and end up giving them a good wack in the process. They give you that look like what did I do to deserve that and you
try to tell them that it was an accident and how sorry you are.

I hope that its just something minor. Cats are very resilient and hopefully she will be back to her ole self soon.
Let us know what the vet says. Can you coax her out with some food or treats?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1402592369|3691644 said:
Thank you for all the kind words and support. I tried to get her to come out (gently) and she huddled into a tiny ball in the corner. I called the vet weeping and the tech listened to what had happened and said a broken leg seems unlikely but they are going to have to x-ray to tell anything. Since Oreo is so distressed it is advised to let her stay put for a few hours and if she's still hiding we will pony up for a house call.

She is eating and drinking and gave my hand a slight headbutt, but is otherwise unable to put weight on her leg. The worst was when she laid down on her side and looked at me with a tiny "meow." Her pain is palpable. SO went to work with his head down and tears in his eyes. I have seen that man cry twice, ever.

I peeked into your first Oreo thread a few times and thought what an awesome kitty. I'm so sorry she is injured and by no fault of anyone's! I just read this post and the 2nd paragraph made me choke up. Big hugs to you and your SO, I'm sure Oreo will be ok but this is just so sad! :((

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh, sending dust for Oreo and you! Poor baby, and we suffer even more when our animals hurt, I think. At least she has calmed down -- sounds like she was hurting & scared, which makes them not want to accept help.

It's the worst worry when we don't know what to do for a pet. Please let us know how today goes -- and big hugs for all of you!

--- Laurie

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
It's heartbreaking when a furry family member gets hurt. They can't tell us whats wrong, and are scared and confused and it's never a good time. I am sorry for poor Oreo, but also for you and your SO. It can't be easy for any of you.

If she is eating and drinking, and gave you a little headbutt she should be alright in the end, which should be a comfort for you. But still the road to get her not in pain will be sad. Lucky enough for her she has you and your SO who care for her deeply, you are doing everything right! She will be better soon! HUGS!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I was a kid, I had a cat that liked to chase trucks, regardless of our efforts to keep him as an indoor cat. As a result, he broke his legs a lot. I don't know if that is what happened with your kitty, but it ended up being more amusing than anything when ours was running around with a cast.

Accidents happen. No one is to blame here. Hugs to all three of you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you haven't responded, I presume you are still at the Vet's with Oreo. My thoughts are with your family (Oreo included, of course) and I hope nothing is broken.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Lots and lots of hugs to you and Oreo. I hope she feels better fast!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Lots and lots of hugs to you and Oreo. I hope she feels better fast!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wondering, since she is eating, whether there is a way to mix something in with her food to make her relax and get sleepy so she becomes more pliant? I'm just thinking about some combination painkiller/sleepy relaxant pill? Then maybe it would be less traumatizing to get her out?

I'm so sorry this has happened.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do have mild sedatives left over from when we moved with Bear. I'm going to try and get a house call, I just have to call back at 5 and find out when and if they can send someone. The mere sight of the carrier is sending her into hysterics. I know its because she is in pain but I genuinely fear her heart giving out or something. Bear has planted himself firmly outside the bedroom door. SO is calling regularly for updates. The more research I do it seems less like a break and more like a dislocated hip, and I fear she will require surgery.

I'm very stressed out and unhappy. Most of all I feel horrible for my cat. I wish I could go back to this morning, hit the reset button, and put the cat gate up in the kitchen :nono:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just administered a sedative and replenished her food and water.

She has not come out since this morning ;(

_19118.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My heart is so sad for you all. I really hope things settle down and you can get to a vet. I can tell how scared you are (((hugs)))

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, that's a rough day for all three of you. Hoping all turns out well. Such a sweet kitty. Please keep us posted!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get well soon Oreo!!!

DK :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results