shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I shouldn't try to use my phone to post after half a jug of sangria...I just end up posting in the wrong thread.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Too Patient:

Most of the topics in your course are comprehension based, not a lot of memorization involved.

My advice would be to familiarize yourself with metric conversions and the prefixes for the different orders of magnitude. Also learn how to do basic unit conversions ( example if you have moles/kg and you multiply it by the number of kg of your atom, you end up with the number of moles of your atom because the kg cancels out). Also, moles are just a unit of measurement. There is a big complicated explanation with history behind it, but in the end its just a way of measuring the number of atoms and can be treated like any other conversion. Familiarize yourself with the definition. I'd also look over the periodic table and make sure I knew what the numbers mean. That should give you a decent basis for your course. It sounds like it starts from square one so you should be fine.

It should be a breeze for somebody in calc. 3. You must be smart to get through three years of math!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient: explanation continued...

I realized if you have no chemistry experience, going over the basic parts of an atom would be helpful. Otherwise the numbers on the periodic table won't make any sense. In the periodic table, they are in a neutral state so the amount of positively charged protons in the nucleus equals the number of negatively charged electrons in orbit. I'm sure you'll learn orbital theory (how electrons are organized) in class and covalent bonding since you have to draw Lewis dot diagrams. Reading up on this stuff will give you a head start.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I can breathe a huge sigh of relief now.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Afternoon naps are one of life's more affordable little luxuries!

z-z-z-z-z

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1301265639|2881393 said:
Afternoon naps are one of life's more affordable little luxuries!

z-z-z-z-z

I agree! I just woke up from a 2 hour nap. I'm still foggy...

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Somebody hit my truck. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

I'm being somewhat petty as the paint that is gone is about an inch long and not even half inch wide. But my truck was SPOTLESS before. ;(

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Grrrr discrimination from a real estate agent!

DH and I decided to go look at possible vacation properties while in Florida. We walked in to a complex where a few of our friends own vacation/rental units. First, the unit number on the open house flyer was for the agent's home, not the sale property. He wouldn't even show us the property that was for sale because apparently the complex is 65+ only (its not) and they don't allow "foreigners" (we're Canadian, half of the cars in the lot had Canadian plates) because owners must be present 12 months of the year, no exceptions. I had reviewed my friend's copy of the HOA rules and it says that investors are welcome and there is a minimum rental period of 30 days.

As we were leaving he made a comment about how he hates us "spring breakers" destroying the place.

We're pushing 30, lol.

I would leave a note for the the owners about their agent, but I have no idea which unit is for sale! He wouldn't tell us the number and didn't list it on any of the flyers!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ChemGirl -- Thanks for the help. I'll read up on the stuff you mentioned and then just relax.

DF -- Sorry to hear about your truck.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm trying REALLY hard to be positive.

My grandma's brother was diagnosed with prostate cancer but they found it also in his liver and stomach. They were going to do chemotherapy but further testing showed it to be a type that doesn't respond to radiation therapy or chemo. It is a fast growing, very agressive cancer. There is a possible treatment, but it isn't FDA approved so insurance doesn't cover it and it costs $15,000 per month. I don't know all of the details, but I think they're trying to see if the costs can be covered for them since he'd be allowing them to test this stuff on him.
Oh.... and it is some sort of hereditary thing.

I can't imagine what my grandmother must be feeling right now (I'll have to call her later this evening) -- her mother died of cancer about a year ago and now her brother has this stuff. My grandmother already had breast cancer...

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1301319751|2881780 said:
Somebody hit my truck. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

I'm being somewhat petty as the paint that is gone is about an inch long and not even half inch wide. But my truck was SPOTLESS before. ;(

That's not petty! I'd be mad if somebody hit my car and left a mark!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Chemgirl - I'm sorry about what you went through! I'd notify my friends who could then speak to the complex manager/owner. And I agree, I'm livid. I guess I feel petty in the grand scheme of things b/c it's tiny and I have a running vehicle that most people oooo and aaahhh at. But still :angryfire: .

Toopatient - I am SO SORRY to hear about everything that has happened in your family that is cancer related. That is awful and I wish you all the best, and hopefully they'll be able to help your uncle. :((

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
When did they stop providing barf bags on airplanes?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
bean|1301411382|2882601 said:
I :love: :love: :love: Mumford & Sons!

AGREED!

Bah. I hate being sick.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I'm leaving for Turkey on Monday. I'm really excited! But dreading packing.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very exciting April! I wish I was going somewhere...anywhere...

Last night I was really depressed and ended up eating ice cream...a lot of it. Today I have a sugar hangover and feel so bloated I can't stand myself. :knockout:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
How is it that it will be 45 degrees one day (quite balmy :cheeky: ) and the next, a snowstorm is coming? We're supposed to get 6-12" of snow on Friday. I wish it was an April's fool's joke. :angryfire:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, my post disappeared and probably for the best!

It was a rant about DH's ex making contact again and making crazy demands.

Anybody know how to get rid of a crazy ex?

Telling her never to contact again and not returning her calls isn't working...

ETA: I realize this isn't a random comment. Just feeling UGH about it all and I don't want to start a thread on it.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
chemgirl-I've always read that the best way to get someone like that to stop bothering you is to not respond at all. Don't even tell them not to contact you anymore, just completely ignore them. All she wants is attention. And if her actions start to get scary, call the police.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl - are there kids involved?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Nope, no kids involved. There are pets from the relationship.

At the end of the relationship DH was nice and continued paying for their food, accessories, grooming, and insurance. He also was responsible for taking them to the vet. However, they lived with her. She felt she couldn't keep them anymore and had them living with one of her relatives. Then I come on the scene. I wasn't thrilled with the arrangement, but I didn't think it was any of my business since we were just dating at the time. Then there was an emergency with one of the pets. DH was at work so I went to bring the cat to the emergency vet. I got to the house and there were 9 cats and 4 dogs. It was filthy and the money DH was paying for premium food was clearly going towards Wiskas. The vet also said that there were signs of neglect. So I got all b-witch and refused to return the cat. DH agreed that we needed to get the cats out of there and since all of the vet bills etc. were in his name he took legal action and we got the kitties. Then I called animal control at the recommendation of our vet (all three of our cats have respiratory illness and the vet thinks it was caused by living in unsanitary conditions).

So yeah...she's MAD about it. She was working overseas, but now that she's back she is demanding visitation time with the pets. At first I thought maybe one 15 minute visit so she'd know they were all ok, but she wants DH to pick her up and bring her here to see the cats on a regular basis. She also expects me to be out of the house when she's here because she can't deal with seeing me.

Obviously this isn't ok, so DH told her no contact and stopped returning her calls (he'd already said no contact after she caused issues for him at work, but she'd called from an unknown number so it sneaked past).

Its just annoying to deal.

ETA: DH was paying for 3 of the cats. They adopted them together while they were dating. I have no idea where the other 6 came from.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chemgirl your post make me livid! If she knew she was going to be traveling the cats should have gone to your SO, not some no name negligent relative. I'm glad you have the kitties back and they're on the road to recovery.

And ditto T2O2, just ignore her calls and attempts at making contact. If she wants to take you to court for the cats, let her. I'm willing to bet she wont as she knows she doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what an awful woman. I think you and your DH are 100% correct in ignoring her. If she cared so much about the cats she would have taken them with her overseas when she went there for work instead of leaving them in unsanitary conditions.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm hoping she didn't know that it was that bad. She's done a lot of volunteer work with animals and used to work at a vet's office. I would like to think that she wasn't aware of the conditions they were living in.

All of this happened February 2010. DH was traveling a lot for work and actually ended up in the office she was working in for a few months. He wasn't a good candidate to look after the cats. She had the cats when he took the contract so he didn't think it was an issue. They ended up living with me while he was out of the country so now I say they're mine!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Possession is 9/10 of the law. :praise:

The other 1/10 is covered by your DH's vet bills.

WOW!
She is clearly hanging on to every last bit of their failed relationship as tight as she can.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
yoplait chocolate mousse yogurt is quite disgusting

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chemgirl|1301534000|2883883 said:
Hmmm, my post disappeared and probably for the best!

It was a rant about DH's ex making contact again and making crazy demands.

Anybody know how to get rid of a crazy ex?

Telling her never to contact again and not returning her calls isn't working...

ETA: I realize this isn't a random comment. Just feeling UGH about it all and I don't want to start a thread on it.

What I do is send everything to our attorney. When she calls, we don't answer. When she leaves a message, it gets sent to the attorney for archive. When she sends e-mail (and rarely paper mail) it gets forwarded to the attorney for archive.
IF it is something that needs a response the attorney responds.

When it first became a problem, we had the attorney send her written notification that she is not to contact us and if she has something she feels she must communicate it is to go through her attorney to ours. (she ignores this and still attempts direct contact)

This USUALLY costs us something like $100 per year for the attorney's time to archive stuff and the occasional phone call to discuss if something needs further response. Not a bad price for the reduced stress (she contacts a lot less now) AND the peace of mind from knowing that our attorney has a record of all crazy behavior and is up-to-date with everything in the event we have to go to court.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results