shape
carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
On my way to the airport!!!!

Headed to Reykjavik for New Year's Eve and so excited.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ethereal trees cloaked in frozen fog. It's 3 degrees where we're spending New Years.
3b126cf06502b83ae9e5a7727ff94b70.jpg
60b8a79e9edd8fc189709e2662507af1.jpg
278178104a11b14d9e3c2632d5f574bb.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those trees are so pretty. I think it was in the 80's today where I live :roll: . Between the heat and the hot flashes I'm dying here.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous, kind of reminds me of the Knight's Watch GOT.

I just saw the funniest sight and I'm sorry I couldn't capture it on film. We have a neighbor who has a big ole pit. He's never been out of control to my knowledge, but he simply terrifies me, I am afraid of big dogs. His owner decked him out in a festive sweater and a BOW ON HIS HEAD.

The poor thing actually looked mortified!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333 said:
Those trees are so pretty. I think it was in the 80's today where I live :roll: . Between the heat and the hot flashes I'm dying here.
Then you would have loved the -10 degrees we've had since Thursday. Minus 10. I've never been so cold. It got as high as 12 today and we were hot while snow shoeing.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amber St. Clare|1451773179|3969773 said:
Gorgeous, kind of reminds me of the Knight's Watch GOT.

I just saw the funniest sight and I'm sorry I couldn't capture it on film. We have a neighbor who has a big ole pit. He's never been out of control to my knowledge, but he simply terrifies me, I am afraid of big dogs. His owner decked him out in a festive sweater and a BOW ON HIS HEAD.

The poor thing actually looked mortified!

We used to dress ours in sweaters and jackets. She would hang her head and raise her eyebrows at us and then heave the biggest sigh you can ever imagine.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1451781133|3969839 said:
tyty333 said:
Then you would have loved the -10 degrees we've had since Thursday. Minus 10. I've never been so cold. It got as high as 12 today and we were hot while snow shoeing.

How do your kitties like the cold weather? Do they get all friskie? I know that's relative because I think your's are fairly friskie to
start with!

When it does actually get cooler here our kitties get a little more playful, but they also get more cuddly when it's nap time. When
it's hot, they just don't want to do anything...kind of like me :cheeky: .

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1452006876|3970990 said:
Matata|1451781133|3969839 said:
tyty333 said:

How do your kitties like the cold weather? Do they get all friskie? I know that's relative because I think your's are fairly friskie to
start with!

When it does actually get cooler here our kitties get a little more playful, but they also get more cuddly when it's nap time. When
it's hot, they just don't want to do anything...kind of like me :cheeky: .

We don't typically see cold temperatures where I live. While we were gone over New Years's it got down into the 20s at night but lasted only a few days. And you're right...nothing much slows down my crew -- rain, snow, heat, cold -- it's party time all the time for them. The only difference is that on cool nights, all 4 want under the blanket at bed time. I, on the other hand, become nonfunctional under 40 degrees and over 80 degrees.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exquisite pictures, Matata.
I don't usually read this thread and I am very, very glad I "tuned in" in time to see the wonderful, winter photos.
Amber, I puzzled over your posting about the "pit", trying to figure out why there would be a big hole in the neighbor's yard and what that had to do with a bow before I realized that you must have been referring to a pit bull. I don't know where I was. One thing I do know: I consider pit bulls small dogs! They actually are quite small compared to mine!

Winter hugs all around!
Deb :wavey:

PS-I don't know what the "Knight's Watch GOT" is. Would someone please enlighten me?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1452049303|3971418 said:
Exquisite pictures, Matata.
I don't usually read this thread and I am very, very glad I "tuned in" in time to see the wonderful, winter photos.
Amber, I puzzled over your posting about the "pit", trying to figure out why there would be a big hole in the neighbor's yard and what that had to do with a bow before I realized that you must have been referring to a pit bull. I don't know where I was. One thing I do know: I consider pit bulls small dogs! They actually are quite small compared to mine!

Winter hugs all around!

PS-I don't know what the "Knight's Watch GOT" is. Would someone please enlighten me?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: agbf your post made me :lol: :lol: :lol: a pit with a bow atop makes me think of looney toons type cartoons with two crazy toons chasing each other, one falling into a pit with a bow on top lolol.

Knights watch GOT refers to game of thrones. The Knights watch are located in a very snowy and icy environment in the tv show (and books).

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2016, a new year, a new PB!

Nordstrom had a sale. I wanted to buy stuff. Then I decided it'd be nice to get two more dbty necklaces a do a layered inspired take on giada's dbty look from back in the day.

The reality is that I spend most of my time home in my kohls and old navy sweats. If we go out, it's a big deal bc that's when I break out da JEANS! And if I have time, I dab on a little makeup. Oh and shoes... Something that's not a sneaker or a clog, so fancy! If I remember, I will stick in a pair of earrings once every couple of months so the holes don't close.

I have no excuse for buying more clothes and jewelry. :wall:

But the carrot On the stick, my motivation lolol is that the more I save in 2016, the closer I am to retiring early.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2016, a new year, a new PB!

Nordstrom had a sale. I wanted to buy stuff. Then I decided it'd be nice to get two more dbty necklaces a do a layered inspired take on giada's dbty look from back in the day.

The reality is that I spend most of my time home in my kohls and old navy sweats. If we go out, it's a big deal bc that's when I break out da JEANS! And if I have time, I dab on a little makeup. Oh and shoes... Something that's not a sneaker or a clog, so fancy! If I remember, I will stick in a pair of earrings once every couple of months so the holes don't close.

I have no excuse for buying more clothes and jewelry. :wall:

But the carrot On the stick, my motivation lolol is that the more I save in 2016, the closer I am to retiring early.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Was at Costco with DH after work and I overhear a woman say "I need to know if you have feelings for her". I try to get out of their way and DH, oblivious as always, yells out " Where are you going?"

Ugh

That poor woman.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1452051147|3971444 said:
I cannot say enough wonderful things about retirement. I put in 30 yrs in public service and was able to retire at 54 -- 6 years of bliss ago. My job was extremely stressful and I was treated for PTSD symptoms for the first 2 yrs of retirement. It's a bit of a shock to discover what running on adrenaline and dealing with stress has done to one's physical and emotional health once the stressors are removed. All that aside, I'll never forget the first morning I didn't have to go to work. I was smiling so hard my cheeks cramped.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're going to Disney in Florida in March during our spring break! :appl: I met Goofy in 2002 and oh goodness did I cry. I'm excited for the kids..we're not telling them. We plan to tell them we're packing to go to Omaha to spend the night at the water park. And then they'll figure it out when we get to the airport...we'll still keep playing dumb, tell them we're picking up their Uncle or something. Our kids are so trusting, they'll believe us hahahaha.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat, I'm so excited for your family. I was there a few years ago on business and I teared up just watching the little ones reaction upon seeing there favorite characters. I can't wait for the day we take my niece's daughter to Disney. She loves Minnie Mouse and I can't think of anything more fun then seeing her reaction to meeting Minnie. Your kids will remember this vacation forever.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter went to Disneyland, not Disneyworld, when she was about five. We happened to be staying in Los Angeles with my husband's elderly aunt and uncle (my husband wasn't there) and a five year-old nephew of theirs and his father took us. (I guess they were somehow related to my husband.)

At any rate, I don't remember my daughter being awed by any of the characters. I don't remember meeting any of the characters. I have a vague recollection of a Snow White or Cinderella costume and a much clearer recollection of going on a ride into a cave. But the clearest recollection was of the two kids getting drenched in a sprinkler together and my daughter having no clothes to change into. That may have been where the costume came in. I think I had to buy her a costume because it was the only dry clothing they sold there!!! She and that little five year-old boy sure did love each other, though. His name was Josh and he was adorable, just as she was! I think his father is my husband's cousin.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a huge Disney fan. Donald, Dopey, Goofy and Tigger, they are my favorites since childhood. The kids didn't grow up w/them like I did, so I doubt they will be as giddy. I have a Tigger tattoo, he's a big deal to me. JD and I went to Epcot for a day, that's where I met Goofy and the big monkey from Lion King..Rafiki I think is his name? It was just incredible. I know people make fun of Disney and it's touristy and they say princesses aren't the sort of things for girls to look up to but none of that has ever concerned me. It makes me feel like a kid and makes me happy. I hope it makes the kids happy like that too.

ETA any tips on flying w/kids who've never flown before and both have mentioned they're scared of it? We plan to bring their kindles, gum and sucky things to help ears. I'm not sure what else.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1452824987|3976187 said:
'm a huge Disney fan. Donald, Dopey, Goofy and Tigger, they are my favorites since childhood. The kids didn't grow up w/them like I did, so I doubt they will be as giddy. I have a Tigger tattoo, he's a big deal to me. JD and I went to Epcot for a day, that's where I met Goofy and the big monkey from Lion King..Rafiki I think is his name? It was just incredible. I know people make fun of Disney and it's touristy and they say princesses aren't the sort of things for girls to look up to but none of that has ever concerned me. It makes me feel like a kid and makes me happy. I hope it makes the kids happy like that too.

ETA any tips on flying w/kids who've never flown before and both have mentioned they're scared of it? We plan to bring their kindles, gum and sucky things to help ears. I'm not sure what else.

packrat, You will never find me among the people putting down the Disney princesses! I loved that stuff far too much as a little girl ever to want to deny it to any other little child (boy or girl)! How do you think I wound up on Pricescope looking at tiaras?

I was actually disappointed that my daughter wasn't more excited by the tutus and glitter and magic wands that went with her ballet recitals and that she never seemed to want to be a princess or a fairy on Hallowe'en. But that was always my fantasy as a child, never hers. She would want to be a mouse or a cat on Hallowe'en and she went to ballet dutifully year after year, but only tolerated the recitals.

I hate quote kenny, but I am afraid that people vary. ;))

Have a fabulous trip. By the way, my daughter flew all her life (starting at 3 months). I don't know what to do help a child who is new to it.

Hugs,

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who digs princesses and tiaras! London likes that stuff too, so it works out well. I didn't go out of my way to introduce those things to her, she just gravitated toward them. She was into Thomas the Train and princesses when she was little and wants to be a meteorologist (or a band teacher), so she's in the middle like me haha.

JD is more frightened of flying than I. I've flown on one trip more than he, and I was in my mid twenties, and I burst into tears before boarding. Then after we got married I worked for a psychiatrist and he gave me a prescription for lorazepam before we went on our honeymoon so that helped. I used it before we went to Vegas years ago, and didn't need it on the way back (which probably was for the better b/c turned out I got pg there and came home w/London). Now, granted, neither of us has flown since 2003, but I think I will be ok w/out medication-I find I can make myself handle much more than I ever thought I could, b/c of the kids. JD refuses to take anything, even to just take the edge off. I worry about the kids tho. JD thinks they will be fine-I don't want to end up having to drag two petrified kids onto the plane.

Do we tell them in the morning when we get to the airport? Will that give them two hours to fret and fume and get worked up about it before hand? Or do we wait and be like guess what, Uncle's not coming out, we're going *on*? Will that freak them out worse?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1452908560|3976627 said:
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who digs princesses and tiaras! London likes that stuff too, so it works out well. I didn't go out of my way to introduce those things to her, she just gravitated toward them. She was into Thomas the Train and princesses when she was little and wants to be a meteorologist (or a band teacher), so she's in the middle like me haha.

JD is more frightened of flying than I. I've flown on one trip more than he, and I was in my mid twenties, and I burst into tears before boarding. Then after we got married I worked for a psychiatrist and he gave me a prescription for lorazepam before we went on our honeymoon so that helped. I used it before we went to Vegas years ago, and didn't need it on the way back (which probably was for the better b/c turned out I got pg there and came home w/London). Now, granted, neither of us has flown since 2003, but I think I will be ok w/out medication-I find I can make myself handle much more than I ever thought I could, b/c of the kids. JD refuses to take anything, even to just take the edge off. I worry about the kids tho. JD thinks they will be fine-I don't want to end up having to drag two petrified kids onto the plane.

Do we tell them in the morning when we get to the airport? Will that give them two hours to fret and fume and get worked up about it before hand? Or do we wait and be like guess what, Uncle's not coming out, we're going *on*? Will that freak them out worse?

I've flown once or twice a year for the last 6 years and I am so scared of flying. I find that takeoff and landing are the worst parts for me. I'm ok, once the plane is up in the air and flying steady (then it feels like a too loud car). I usually take a Dramamine (motion sickness pill) right before boarding. It makes me feel drowsy, which helps calm my nerves. My adrenaline runs though it pretty quickly though so it wears off in less than 1/2 hour (but, hey, that gets me through the worst of it so...).

Side note: I am not suggesting you drug your kids :o ...just sharing what gets me through it.

I don't think you should tell them before hand. If they are scared of flying, that's just going to build anxiety (like all those times my mom told me I had to get a shot at my next doctor's appointment...two days away....thanks mom :errrr: ). Takeoff will be the hardest part, since they can't use anything electronic, at that point. I think the biggest thing is going to be you guys acting like your not scared so your kids can follow your lead (not asking much, right :roll: ).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1452142923|3972035 said:
PintoBean|1452051147|3971444 said:
I cannot say enough wonderful things about retirement. I put in 30 yrs in public service and was able to retire at 54 -- 6 years of bliss ago. My job was extremely stressful and I was treated for PTSD symptoms for the first 2 yrs of retirement. It's a bit of a shock to discover what running on adrenaline and dealing with stress has done to one's physical and emotional health once the stressors are removed. All that aside, I'll never forget the first morning I didn't have to go to work. I was smiling so hard my cheeks cramped.

So glad you are enjoying retirement Matata!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm shocked at how low my post count is! :D I have learned so much from this site and love the comradery. I don't always agree with what people post, but I love that (for the most part) there's a lot of harmony here. Add to that the love of sparklies is great! :D I'm glad I was introduced to this group by another jewel lover from a knitting site (ravelry) :D

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oy, what an afternoon. Fresh back from the grocery store, one of the cats steals a package of chicken and eats half of it before I even realize it's missing. Happy cat, perturbed momma who had to make a 2nd trip to the store.

Then at 3:15 I look out my window and see an elderly woman in my backyard talking to the bird feeder. I went out to see what was up and although she could understand me, her responses were gobbledegook. I recognized she had aphasia. Couldn't get her to come in the house; she refused to let me take her to a hospital; couldn't tell me her name; wasn't wearing/carrying any ID. So I called the police who took their sweet time getting here. Phoned my neighbor who knows everyone in the hood and she didn't recognize her. I asked her if she could write and she nodded "yes" so gave her pen & paper but she then refused to write her name.

Cop finally showed up and wants to take her to a nearby elder care facility figuring she walked away from it. I said she needed to go to the hospital in the event this medical issue was newly occurring. As we were debating, a car pulled up and parked in front of my house. We went out and sure enough it was her husband waiting to see which house the policeman was in, figuring it had something to do with his wife. Turns out she has primary progressive aphasia, a rare disease caused by degeneration of brain tissue. She keeps taking her ID bracelet off and she escaped their house when he went into the bathroom. They live 1 block from me. I now have his phone number in the event this happens again. My heart broke for both of them.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1453689064|3980959 said:
Oy, what an afternoon. Fresh back from the grocery store, one of the cats steals a package of chicken and eats half of it before I even realize it's missing. Happy cat, perturbed momma who had to make a 2nd trip to the store.

Then at 3:15 I look out my window and see an elderly woman in my backyard talking to the bird feeder. I went out to see what was up and although she could understand me, her responses were gobbledegook. I recognized she had aphasia. Couldn't get her to come in the house; she refused to let me take her to a hospital; couldn't tell me her name; wasn't wearing/carrying any ID. So I called the police who took their sweet time getting here. Phoned my neighbor who knows everyone in the hood and she didn't recognize her. I asked her if she could write and she nodded "yes" so gave her pen & paper but she then refused to write her name.

Cop finally showed up and wants to take her to a nearby elder care facility figuring she walked away from it. I said she needed to go to the hospital in the event this medical issue was newly occurring. As we were debating, a car pulled up and parked in front of my house. We went out and sure enough it was her husband waiting to see which house the policeman was in, figuring it had something to do with his wife. Turns out she has primary progressive aphasia, a rare disease caused by degeneration of brain tissue. She keeps taking her ID bracelet off and she escaped their house when he went into the bathroom. They live 1 block from me. I now have his phone number in the event this happens again. My heart broke for both of them.

Hi Matata! :appl: :wavey: I love early retirement too, consider yourself high-fived, girlfriend! You were right about the woman needing to first go to the emergency department. A UTI can result in mental status changes in seniors, extremely common in the ED where I worked. And concomitant with other illnesses.

Love your pics as always. Surely it wasn't "stealing" of the chicken, you were simply taking too long to serve it :lol: :lol: :lol:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata: I'm glad you knew what to do re the woman talking to your birdfeeder, and I'm especially glad for the woman and her husband both that you cared enough to do it. No that there's any doubt of that of course, but someone else might not have cared enough. I guess from reading your post that I now have some idea of what to do in that kind of situation as well. :angel:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations to me for finally getting a grown-up paper shredder! For way too many years I've been making do with a baby desk-top model that could only handle three sheets of paper at a time, and then only if they were fed in absolutely correctly, and that had to be turned on and off manually for each "feeding." I finally got fed up and bought myself a larger shredder, 14-sheet capacity, with an auto on-off feature. I'm now whizzing through that built-up stack of mail. WHEEEEEE! :dance:

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Best.Birthday.Present.Ever!

We are hardcore {ORIGINAL} Odd Couple Fans {our late cat's name was Oscar Madison}. We have all the dvds and sometimes spend an afternoon watching favorite episodes. November 13 is an official holiday in the St. Clare house.

I'm not even going to mention the AWFUL revival CBS did last season. :silenced:

sooooooooo when I heard they actually cut a record my husband managed to track it down and I got it this morning. It's appropriately awful and I LOVE IT. Just as much as I love my George Sanders record I got for Christmas!

I like to think I live at the intersection where Taste and Tacky meet.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So tired of dancing here all by myself.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1453689064|3980959 said:

Matata,

I just saw your post. Thank you for being such a caring person and getting involved. By sharing what happened, I suspect you've informed a number of people about aphasia and what to do if they see someone unable to communicate. I didn't know the word 'aphasia' until my Mother had a stoke, just over a year ago. In my Mother's case, the aphasia was temporary (although brain damage from the stroke has caused permanent memory issues).

It is heartbreaking to see what health issues can do to a loved one and those caring for the person.

Thank you.

Hugs

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results