shape
carat
color
clarity

I forgot, have I told you...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm finally going to be a grandmother!!! Son # 2 , married five years will be the proud daddy. I have mixed feelings...at 55 my grandmother looked OLD. My stepmother was more up to date, but I still feel YOUNG! I'm sure I will love the lil punkin (due oct) but I'm not mentally ready for this!
Did any of you feel this way the first time? Are you "old enough" but not "mentally old enough"?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
old is a number that you choose......55 is not Old.
I also think that we the new "old" generation just aren't following in our grandparents footsteps.
and we don't have to!
I bowl with a couple of senior leagues and I have to tell you that I see women in their 80's and older that are moving and grooving. there is a 93 year old woman on my team! and she is a good bowler!

so, you're going to do fine and you'll laugh at yourself come November.
in October? you're going to meet and greet that kiddie and who knows you may be dressed in a purple dress and accessorizing with a red hat. being a grandmother these days has no boundaries.

enjoy!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! While it might feel hard right now, just think: you are gonna be the grandma young enough to run around with them! :bigsmile:

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!!

You're only as old as you feel. I really believe that. I've watched 30 year olds get old and quit living. I've watched 90+ year olds rowing boats, hiking mountains, and then grumbling that their grandkids (in one case a 30 year old guy...) couldn't keep up.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the grandchild! Then you'll be a young granny compared to those who become grannies at 70. Isn't that exciting?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting news AprilBaby and congratulations!

I have said it before and I will say it again- age isn't the number it used to be...50 is the new 30 so 55 is the new 35 :sun: and don't forget it! Our grandmothers before us behaved and aged differently. As others have posted it's how young you feel that counts. Some are old before their time and many others remain young well into their "old" age. So enjoy being a young grandma and all the best! :appl:

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!! You really won't think about your age when you spend time with the grand baby, you'll just enjoy every minute.

I became a Nannie at the age of 46 so I was nowhere near being ready, but he is now 13 and has been a true blessing along with the other 4 that has since come. I'm lucky enough to be able to be active doing the things they like when I do have them.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1397012645|3650265 said:
I'm finally going to be a grandmother!!! Son # 2 , married five years will be the proud daddy. I have mixed feelings...at 55 my grandmother looked OLD. My stepmother was more up to date, but I still feel YOUNG! I'm sure I will love the lil punkin (due oct) but I'm not mentally ready for this!
Did any of you feel this way the first time? Are you "old enough" but not "mentally old enough"?
Congratulations April!...my wife is ready, but I'm not too sure about myself.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so with you DF! I'm excited and happy to be mobile to take that baby everywhere! The mind will catch up soon! Grannies are not what they used to be! Thanks for all the good wishes!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!

I'm 43 next month and my grand baby is due in November. I am super excited!!

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! My first grandchild/granddaughter arrived when I was 57. It's really a perfect age - you are young enough to do things with them and really enjoy what you do. I was just in SoCal visiting my Savannah, she's just had her 8th birthday. We're very close even though I now live on the East Coast. She calls me and sends me pictures all the time. I like to say that grandchildren are God's way of thanking you for making it through parenthood - relatively sane. ;-)

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations to you and your son! While I am not even close to becoming a grandmother (DD is too busy with school and dreaming about her future career that kids may not even be on the table for a while if ever), but my sister is a 2 time grandmother and she will be 60 this year. She does not feel like a grandmother at all and IMO does not even look like a grandmother (however a grandmother should look like). She takes her grandbabies to the park or store at times and she gets questioned on how old are her babies or that she is way too young to be a grandmother. She absolutely glows when people say this that she doesn't mind being a grandmother at all. However, turning 60 is a whole nother story.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats April & Maisie, can I join the club?(maybe we can all hold hands lol) April I'm exactly where you are I'm 51 and my daughter is expecting her first in October,super excited but I think when that child calls out Grandma I'll be looking over my shoulder to see if "she's" there lol Hopefully the mind will catch up. MZ I nearly spat my coffee out after reading your comment about the purple dress with the red hat lol

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats to all of you soon to be grandmas!
I was 51 when my DD had our first grandson, 5 years ago. When Jax was born I really didn't want to be "grandma" that felt old to me so I am called GG spelled by DD GiGi but it stands for gorgeous grandma!!! Lol
My hubby waited to see what he would call him, and he is grand pop.
The second grandson will be two in May and I was at his birth and actually cut the cord.
I actually agree with liking being a young spry Gigi cause they are so much fun!!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!!! Being a grandmother is one of the best things ever.

When my DD told me she was expecting, I was not happy. At all. I wasn't ready to be a grandmother and didn't think she was ready to be a mother either. I spent the entire next 6 months dreading the day. On the way to the hospital for the delivery I wasn't even excited - just scared.

But the moment I first laid eyes on my grandson, I fell in love with him more than I ever had with anyone, ever. That's saying something to because I really, really loved my DD and being a mom to her. My grandson is 5 now and he's still one of the greatest joys in my life. I'd do anything for him and the feeling is mutual. I didn't think anything could be better than being a mom but being a Gee Gee is.

My DD is planning to get pregnant again this summer and I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. I can't wait!!!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations AB! I think 55 is perfect to become a Grandma :appl: I probably won't get any grandkids until I'm 60. I'll be 50 in June and have a son who is 15, so maybe in 10 years. Older son is 22 but a free spirit type who is far from settling down.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cluless|1397076272|3650713 said:
Congrats April & Maisie, can I join the club?(maybe we can all hold hands lol) April I'm exactly where you are I'm 51 and my daughter is expecting her first in October,super excited but I think when that child calls out Grandma I'll be looking over my shoulder to see if "she's" there lol Hopefully the mind will catch up. MZ I nearly spat my coffee out after reading your comment about the purple dress with the red hat lol

Yes let's form a group and all hold hands!!! :lol:

I've decided to be called Nanna. Although I like the idea of being grandma. Sort of feels like a grand title for very fabulous ladies.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Aprilbaby, Maisie and Clueless!!! :wavey:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the great wishes and wisdom! And yes, a grandma club would be cool! I guess on the family forum? (I never go there)
So many of you can relate to how I feel so it makes me feel better. Nana would be my first choice but it's already taken so I think GG is good. I guess we will see what lil punkin decides to call me! Congrats Maise and Clueless!

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the well wishes all. This morning dh says it's time to get up grandma, my automatic response who you calling gran....... oh yeah ok you could live lol. It's going to take a little getting used to I guess lol. I guess a grandma club in the family forum would be cool I don't go there often either.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results