shape
carat
color
clarity

I don't get why some PSer advise others to wear ...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it's a cultural thing and that is why Elle_chris I don't "get" your comments. In Australia we pay most people a decent minimum wage and a manager of a grocery store, a clothing shop or a fast food outlet generally gets paid a decent income, enough that they could genuinely be wearing the type of jewellery some of you think is inappropriate. Most people in our society also made their money recently because the country is not that old. Once again I reiterate that if you have to work I don't believe that you come from old money either but you don't have to respond to that comment, we are all entitled to our own opinions, even if they are rude and judgemental.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh My Gato!
Why, this thread has more facets than a leaky back-lit radiant from DBL.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
kenny|1421278496|3816460 said:
Oh My Gato!

another good one Kenny.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1421206471|3816092 said:
To be fair. I work a shit job and "screw" my husband and that's only gotten me small diamonds. God bless any woman who does the same and managed to work big diamonds into that equation. :lol:

Great post, Niel....

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh My Gato!

DF is just trying to get more contentious posts than you..... :lol:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Cashiers are a diverse bunch. I think of my local supermarket and the women couldn't be more unalike (although they seem to get along with each other like a house on fire). There's the slightly overweight single mother who couldn't give a toss about her appearance, she never wears jewellery of any kind. Then there's the attractive dark haired one is her forties, who pays great attention to her hair and nails. She wears a broad yellow gold wedding band. There's another who sports a small diamond ring together with a wedding band and eternity. Her depressingly orthodox, cheap set doesn't do it for me and she's a tad on the abrasive side to boot. Then there's the gorgeous, young woman with long wavy dark hair and porcelain white skin who recently got engaged. At first she wore one of those quadrant rings in white gold. Just recently it has been changed up for a lovely sizable diamond in a superb setting with a touch of yellow gold through it. The ring looks perfectly at home, on her and not remotely out of place serving customers in a supermarket.

I think jewellery has more to do with the person wearing it and whether they are able to carry off the look or not rather than assessing if it's suitable for a specific work place situation. There was a poster here recently who had a beautiful but rather large three stone diamond ring and complained that fellow workers were gossiping about it behind her back. The back story to her ring though was that she hadn't wanted such a large one and even while they had been looking, she'd been more attracted to smaller stones and less assuming styles. It's possible her ring had, at least in part, attracted unwanted attention out of being overly self-conscious of the thing and not wearing it with authority and aplomb needed for such a piece.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1421279497|3816470 said:
Oh My Gato!

Generating contention, while appearing as chaste and pure as the freshly fallen snow, ain't easy ;-)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elle Chris, Do you mind sharing where you live? Are you located in or near a large city? Are you in the US? The only reason I ask is it is not unusual to see women wearing larger diamonds (over 2 carats) working in retail stores where I live.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1421279497|3816470 said:
Oh My Gato!

Nahhhh, Kenny beat me by a mile... :wink2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is interesting, the turn DF's post has taken.
When I was working at the grocery store, I always wore all my best jewelry, and I would rotate it everyday.
You would be surprised at how a great strand of 16" pearls dresses up that ugly polo shirt they make you wear! It was like getting revenge on the ugly shirt. I also wore pins on the collar. I really didnt care if anyone thought it was out of place. I love my stuff and I wear it.

And, yes, I bought most of it on my cashiers salary.

I would get alot of questions and comments about my jewelry, from "what is that stone called?" to "Is that a real diamond?" -or "I never heard of a yellow sapphire!" It was my chance to talk about my favorite subject. I made alot of friends that way. Customers also wear alot of awesome jewels. It was so much fun talking about jewelry. When you comment on their jewelry, you always get the back story of how they came to own some awesome jewel. I even made friends with a several bench jewelers, who were great sources of information.

If you have it, wear it. Let your great jewelry be seen! That's what we have it for.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CRYSTAL24K|1421264706|3816371 said:
Niel|1421206471|3816092 said:
To be fair. I work a shit job and "screw" my husband and that's only gotten me small diamonds. God bless any woman who does the same and managed to work big diamonds into that equation. :lol:

I love it! :appl:

BWAHAHA! I don't have a hubby to screw... maybe that's why I buy myself giant baubles? :Up_to_something:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1421280648|3816478 said:

And I've bought most of mine myself, too. On my pre-gradschool graduate salary of working 70 hours a week. And savings I had from that suffering. "Not old money" for sure! :naughty: :lol:

Seriously, though, my ex-FI was "new money", and hung around car-afficianados after he bought his first exotic. Some of those he went on rides with that were older than him, in their mid-life age, who purchased their babies later on in life, couldn't stand a 20-something year old owning something they had. Some people reek of judgment. Why? I believe it has to do with jealousy 100%.

They're elitists. Only people "like them" should be allowed to enjoy certain luxuries. Poo poo on anyone else for working their asses off to get what they have because now their pretty things that their family money purchased no longer appears to be so special!

BWAHAHAHAHA.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1421280190|3816476 said:
Elle Chris, Do you mind sharing where you live? Are you located in or near a large city? Are you in the US? The only reason I ask is it is not unusual to see women wearing larger diamonds (over 2 carats) working in retail stores where I live.

Not totally unusual hear in LA, either. :naughty:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually know of someone who works in Neiman's and her family are old money. According to our mutual friend, M's family has a place in the Caribbean, a place on Martha's Vineyard, and she has a trust fund. She's in her late forties and just got married, and I'm not sure if she still works there now that she has someone to play/travel with, but before she met her husband the friend said she was bored and that's why she worked there. Apparently she just liked clothes, fashion, and stores! I never saw her wear any jewelry, but I'm sure she could have done if she'd wanted to.

I also worked in a department store when I was young but I can't think of anyone else who was there and didn't need the money. Perhaps one person, who was very educated, and she was working there between getting an advanced degree and going off to do something else. I always got the impression her family had money, but perhaps she was just projecting a polished image. Who knows.

Oh - just thought of something. Some family friends owned a nursery - the kind where you buy plants and all things for the yard. Their store was huge. They made a fortune. The wife absolutely wears huge diamond rings, but before they reached retirement age the wife would help out at the store sometimes, including as a cashier, and I remember my parents telling me that even the other staff didn't know she was the boss's wife. I guess that could be an instance where someone wealthy was operating cash registers.

About the post above from Stracci2000 regarding wearing your nice jewelry regardless, that's great about rocking the stuff with a uniform polo shirt. I'm guilty of not wearing my stuff. I dress casually because I really have no interest on clothes, so the fancy jewelry gets left in the boxes. Maybe subconsciously I feel it would look incongruous without expensive clothing, at least on me. I don't know.

It's nice that some people have experienced their jewelry as being conversation-starters. Maybe I should try wearing my stuff.

I agree with the sentiment that everyone should wear whatever they like. I mean, let's face it, some people are going to judge you for very minor aspects of behavior and appearance, and you can't control what anyone is thinking. Example: My sister hates it when people wear skin-colored hose with open-toe shoes, because she says it looks as if they have webbed feet!!!

I also agree that when advice is given, social circle can seem like a starting point.

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
I have a leadership role at an FE College but also teach unemployed adults receiving state benefits mandatory English as a foreign language for O.5 of my role. By definition they are on low incomes and some are refugees and asylum seekers. I wear my 2 carat solitaire engagement ring and inherited three stone ring every day because they have great sentimental value and are safest on my hands.

I assume that my learners a) probably don't know or care about the value of my rings b) if they notice them, probably assume they're fake which is just fine by me c) are more interested in my teaching skills.

When I first got engaged a couple of months ago, many of my co-workers did gasp, exclaim and feign shading their eyes from the dazzle in a totally stagey, jokey way that was being nice, not nasty. Nobody has given me the side-eye. I do have great colleagues though.

I was privately educated, lucky enough to go to Oxford and Cambridge, and I speak with what a lot of people call a "posh" accent: my fiancé is working class and from the roughest estate in Hull and left education at 16. He also has a strong Hull (northern English) accent. He has been far more successful than I have and has built incredible businesses. He is usually better dressed than I am but has been mistaken for a taxi driver at expensive restaurants more than once, on account of his working class accent! I have never understood why so many people value inherited wealth and position more than the wealth and position someone has earned on their own merit.

So glad it isn't the 19th century when we all "knew our place" and dressed according to our rank, regardless of means. My poor fiance would be wearing a flat cap and clogs if that were the case!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1421282229|3816487 said:
stracci2000|1421280648|3816478 said:

And I've bought most of mine myself, too. On my pre-gradschool graduate salary of working 70 hours a week. And savings I had from that suffering. "Not old money" for sure! :naughty: :lol:

Seriously, though, my ex-FI was "new money", and hung around car-afficianados after he bought his first exotic. Some of those he went on rides with that were older than him, in their mid-life age, who purchased their babies later on in life, couldn't stand a 20-something year old owning something they had. Some people reek of judgment. Why? I believe it has to do with jealousy 100%.

They're elitists. Only people "like them" should be allowed to enjoy certain luxuries. Poo poo on anyone else for working their asses off to get what they have because now their pretty things that their family money purchased no longer appears to be so special!

BWAHAHAHAHA.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Same boat here, madelise. Getting engaged at 21 years old and sporting a 2.5 carat diamond got me a lot of hate for a long, long time and I'm sure that's why this kinda topic can still really piss me off. Chris was like your ex, very into cars. Over the 7 years we've been together he worked his ass off for every exotic car he has owned. His parents are old money but he's never seen a cent. He had plenty of people over the years give him crap about the cars. And we both come from the same mind set you do - jealousy. So I guess we're new money? I really never knew that it was looked down upon. I don't get why, either. If I work my but off to own nice things how is that a bad thing? I'm pretty proud of having worked hard for what I have! At the end of the day, people who are jealous or whatnot really don't matter in the grand scheme of things but it does get annoying and frustrating sometimes. Do you wear your sparklies to school? I don't wear mine to work because the one doctor I work for is quite possibly the most judgemental person I know and he is very open about that and has no shame. Makes me extra uncomfortable so I leave it at home because of him.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, someone who gets it! Appreciate this, Annette.

Autumn, thank you for clarifying. Because you didn't come at me with anger or hostility, your point is noted.

I don't understand why some keep implying that I think cashiers are beneath me, or it's low status job. But it seems to be a recurring theme keeps that gets attributed to me.
As evident in this thread, I have no trouble saying exactly what I think, nor do I hold back. Since I never said anything of the sort, it would be great if you stopped assuming. Cause you know what they say.. :naughty:

I live in NYC (Manhattan). Minimum wage is something like $8 an hour (pre-taxes), apartments here rent (i'm not talking buying) start at something like 2.5k for a 550sqf studio. It's impossible to live here on minimum wage.
I'm sure many reside in the outer boroughs, and while it's less expensive there, it's still not usually doable on minimum wage.

Minimum wage in the US is generally not a livable wage, at least not in the cities.

This isn't about class, position, or anything of the sort. It's an observation, that's all. Sure there's always going to be someones mother, sister, brother, third cousin removed that's independently wealthy and just works for sh*ts and giggles, I get that. But again, that's not the norm.

Circe- I grew up in Brooklyn, near Brighton beach. My parents are also immigrants and my mom (who is an engineer by trade) worked in a textile factory when we first moved here. I don't judge anyone's profession, in fact, I'd be the last person to judge based on my own family history.

But I also grew up with "New Russians" who were notorious for flaunting their (ill-gotten) wealth. The women loved wearing name brands and made sure you knew it. The fact that that half the time it was 2 sizes too small didn't matter. It was on sale, and it's Gucci..lol
Now that was crass. So yeah, that's what new money means to me.

I stand by what I said in my original post. Could I have phrased it differently? Yeah sure- but then it wouldn't have been as much fun..lol.. :angel:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Elle, I never knew you were Russian! Prevet! Fellow Ruski here too. I'm the opposite though, my family came here with no money at all but I know what you mean about "new Russian" my area, Philadelphia, has tons on new Russian's. I get your perception about new money after reading the explanation.

By the way, I have Russian 'tude too :cheeky:

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1421286255|3816522 said:
Elle, I never knew you were Russian! Prevet! Fellow Ruski here too. I'm the opposite though, my family came here with no money at all but I know what you mean about "new Russian" my area, Philadelphia, has tons on new Russian's. I get your perception about new money after reading the explanation.

Prevet!
Yeah, not too fond of 'em.. but they do make me "lol".. :lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_chris|1421285959|3816521 said:

Autumn, thank you for clarifying. Because you didn't come at me with anger or hostility, your point is noted.

I don't understand why some keep implying that I think cashiers are beneath me, or it's low status job. But it seems to be a recurring theme keeps that gets attributed to me.
As evident in this thread, I have no trouble saying exactly what I think, nor do I hold back. Since I never said anything of the sort, it would be great if you stopped assuming. Cause you know what they say.. :naughty:

I live in NYC (Manhattan). Minimum wage is something like $8 an hour (pre-taxes), apartments here rent (i'm not talking buying) start at something like 2.5k for a 550sqf studio. It's impossible to live here on minimum wage.
I'm sure many reside in the outer boroughs, and while it's less expensive there, it's still not usually doable on minimum wage.

Minimum wage in the US is generally not a livable wage, at least not in the cities.

This isn't about class, position, or anything of the sort. It's an observation, that's all. Sure there's always going to be someones mother, sister, brother, third cousin removed that's independently wealthy and just works for sh*ts and giggles, I get that. But again, that's not the norm.

Circe- I grew up in Brooklyn, near Brighton beach. My parents are also immigrants and my mom (who is an engineer by trade) worked in a textile factory when we first moved here. I don't judge anyone's profession, in fact, I'd be the last person to judge based on my own family history.

But I also grew up with "New Russians" who were notorious for flaunting their (ill-gotten) wealth. The women loved wearing name brands and made sure you knew it. The fact that that half the time it was 2 sizes too small didn't matter. It was on sale, and it's Gucci..lol

I stand by what I said in my original post. Could I have phrased it differently? Yeah sure- but then it wouldn't have been as much fun..lol.. :angel:

Oh, I see. This was all just for fun

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Really, Stracci? That's what you got out of that entire post? :rolleyes:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have been saying provocative things this whole time just to get a rise out of all of us. Got it. LOL and all that.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_chris|1421197555|3816021 said:
Very interesting that you (Strassi) made that nasty assumption about "lowly cashiers" since I never said anything along those lines.

The reason they get the side eye from me is because cashiers generally make around minimum wage and simply can not afford huge diamonds. The one's who husbands can, usually aren't cashiers- they just don't work if they don't have a career of their own or they stay home to raise the family. That's the truth.
Sure there are some that can be cashiers, sales clerks, what not, but that's not the norm.

So yeah, they get the side eye from me because I wonder what, or should I say who, they're doing to get those stones.

Oh, forget it. I'm sure someone's already taken screen shots, or quoted me, but I don't feel like playing.

Have fun!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zizzy|1421284193|3816505 said:
I have a leadership role at an FE College but also teach unemployed adults receiving state benefits mandatory English as a foreign language for O.5 of my role. By definition they are on low incomes and some are refugees and asylum seekers. I wear my 2 carat solitaire engagement ring and inherited three stone ring every day because they have great sentimental value and are safest on my hands.

I assume that my learners a) probably don't know or care about the value of my rings b) if they notice them, probably assume they're fake which is just fine by me c) are more interested in my teaching skills.

When I first got engaged a couple of months ago, many of my co-workers did gasp, exclaim and feign shading their eyes from the dazzle in a totally stagey, jokey way that was being nice, not nasty. Nobody has given me the side-eye. I do have great colleagues though.

I was privately educated, lucky enough to go to Oxford and Cambridge, and I speak with what a lot of people call a "posh" accent: my fiancé is working class and from the roughest estate in Hull and left education at 16. He also has a strong Hull (northern English) accent. He has been far more successful than I have and has built incredible businesses. He is usually better dressed than I am but has been mistaken for a taxi driver at expensive restaurants more than once, on account of his working class accent! I have never understood why so many people value inherited wealth and position more than the wealth and position someone has earned on their own merit.

So glad it isn't the 19th century when we all "knew our place" and dressed according to our rank, regardless of means. My poor fiance would be wearing a flat cap and clogs if that were the case!

Would it be correct to assume you are from the UK? Luckily, in the US, there are many that do NOT value inherited wealth more than what people have earned. In fact, I would say the US was found on the premise that "all men are created equal". Yay!! It's not about the birth lotto. No offense intended. Just an observation.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="LLJsmom|

Would it be correct to assume you are from the UK? Luckily, in the US, there are many that do NOT value inherited wealth more than what people have earned. In fact, I would say the US was found on the premise that "all men are created equal". Yay!! It's not about the birth lotto. No offense intended. Just an observation.[/quote]

:errrr: Really?, then how come women get to wear a bigger rock?.. :confused:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I still don't get the need for the condescending comments.... :nono: You mention the whole class thing yet as I suspected you come from nothing yourself. I'm the opposite I think good on people who have made it in the world and want to flaunt it. And if someone is wearing a 3 carat + Cubic Zircon and that makes that particular person feel better about themselves on the day I say good on them as well. But I guess if being catty at the expense of others makes your day go a little faster then knock yourself out. It's providing free entertainment for all of us :bigsmile:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1421303065|3816652 said:
[quote="LLJsmom|

Would it be correct to assume you are from the UK? Luckily, in the US, there are many that do NOT value inherited wealth more than what people have earned. In fact, I would say the US was found on the premise that "all men are created equal". Yay!! It's not about the birth lotto. No offense intended. Just an observation.

:errrr: Really?, then how come women get to wear a bigger rock?.. :confused:[/quote]

I would question then, why men are supposed to pay for the rock if that is the case. ;P (although my husband and I paid equally for my e-ring, on the premise that our finances are equally shared anyway..)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
arkieb1 said:

I still don't get the need for the condescending comments.... :nono: You mention the whole class thing yet as I suspected you come from nothing yourself. I'm the opposite I think good on people who have made it in the world and want to flaunt it. And if someone is wearing a 3 carat + Cubic Zircon and that makes that particular person feel better about themselves on the day I say good on them as well. But I guess if being catty at the expense of others makes your day go a little faster then knock yourself out. It's providing free entertainment for all of us :bigsmile:

:lol: Well you gave me quite the chuckle this morning.

On a serious note, either you have a reading comprehension issue, or my posts offend you because you're one of the people I speak about.
Regarding being catty? Oh my-" Pot meet Kettle."

Either way- NEXT... :angel:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure it's a cultural thing I just don't get you at all. :wavey:

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1421286255|3816522 said:

Since this thread seems to have calmed down, (except of course for that occasional person that keeps begging for my attention :naughty: ) I'd rather post here than continue derailing the other thread.

We tried every protein for him except for the exotics, even did an elimination diet. Turns out it's just environmental. Wish it was the food, would be so much easier.

On that note- we can always start a thread about Bulldogs, Frenchies and all the cute short nosed breeds that seem to come with their own set of health problems.. :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results