shape
carat
color
clarity

Hubby bad reaction to re-set idea

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a lot of us have been in this position at some point in our marriage. I know early in my bling mania my husband was sad about my desire to change my ring. He was sentimental. He bought into the implicit social norm that the ring reflects HIM and my love for the ring reflects my love for him. And for a good long while this hurt was present for him when we talked about my jewelery.

He is a very caring and sensitive man, so I was not blunt with his feelings. I assured him I love him and that my rings are just jewelery. But I did just what I wanted to do without giving him desires too much weight in terms of my actual behavior. For me, this issue was a bit of an issue of boundaries and control. I wear the ring, why should he control it or have say in it? I know some men and some couples feel differently about the symbolism of the ring -- that it is a concrete representation of the man's love for the woman. But I don't particularly ascribe to that view. So we had to negotiate a little about this issue until he understood my perspective, I think. For me, letting me do what I want to be happy is a much better example of his love!

He eventually got used to my changing nature. And I also stopped talking to him too much about jewelery and especially any disatisfaction I might have had (which helped a lot). He knows what hijinx I am up to, certainly, but at this point he is secure enough in our marriage that my ring does not make or break his perception of my love. He wants me to always wear A ring, a desire I am more than happy to accommodate. But he does not care anymore WHAT ring I wear.

And he has also learned to take pleasure in my pleasure in my ring. Psychologists call this transformation of motivation -- when one partner adopts and takes on as their own the other partner's goals and desires. Its an ingredient in healthy relationships. But it takes a little time. You just need to help him transform his motivation so his desire to to help you meet your bling goals, not make you bend to his.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok your new place is not too far from us really at all. My brother and my sister both live right near there. And as a ploy to visit my nephew, and spend money, usually I go to W. Co Mall (aka the Dove, if you ever hear someone say the dove mall, that's what they mean, West County Mall at Manchester and 270) all the time, and or the Galleria (where the Nordstroms are!), then I go by my sister's and rile that little bug up. South County, just south of 44, for me. I've lived in this area my whole life not including college and grad school. DH (and my brother when he is in town for work) works out in the Valley, and lived in Chesterfield as well after his family moved here. DH wants to live there again, though I work near downtown so I am not exactly eager to sit on 40 for half of my life. My old office was in Riverport and taking 270 from South County was...well...I was a maniac after that commute! And 40 is actually worse than 270 at least if you're downtown/Clayton to Chesterfield and beyond. You'd see me on the news.

I think we need an STL G2G! We were going to have it in maybe Kirkwood area, meet at Summa Jewelers, maybe go to Deweys mostly bec I am selfish and like to eat there lol, and perhaps head to Frontenac and hit up Tiffany's or something. We need to get that rollin'!

WindyCitySparkle

Shiny_Rock
Sounds good!!! Though I'm 31 weeks prego at the moment, so it'd have to either be very soon or not until mid-summer :). I grew up mostly in Kirkwood, and then left for college, law school, and then working in Chicago for about 7 years. Happy to be home - and to finally be moving to our potential "forever home."

Oddly, I have found the St. Louis Tiffany's to be more snobby than big city Tiffany's that I've been to... Like if I'm not dressed professionally or carrying an expensive purse, they assume I have no money. Irritating.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
WindyCitySparkle|1364501607|3415471 said:
Sounds good!!! Though I'm 31 weeks prego at the moment, so it'd have to either be very soon or not until mid-summer :). I grew up mostly in Kirkwood, and then left for college, law school, and then working in Chicago for about 7 years. Happy to be home - and to finally be moving to our potential "forever home."

Oddly, I have found the St. Louis Tiffany's to be more snobby than big city Tiffany's that I've been to... Like if I'm not dressed professionally or carrying an expensive purse, they assume I have no money. Irritating.
Even with an expensive bag and professional dress, they assume the same of most people. Our store is NOT typical of my experiences from other cities. Chicago (Michigan Ave) and Waikiki were the best besides NYC's main store. They actually act annoyed when you walk into ours bec they have to interact with you. But that's pretty much the same with every store in that mall, with I think the exception of Coach. That particular Coach store is the best one in the area, I think. I get stalked by security in Neimans no matter how I am dressed.

I LOVE Chicago, we have a lot of family up there, and I love going up there to visit and shop and stuff. I could so live there, if my current job worked that way. But my nephew would be hard to leave behind.

31 weeks! OMG! Well I was hoping for maybe in April but we'll see what schedules look like and if anyone is interested enough. If you're a "fan" of Summa Jewelers on FB I can comment on his page or something to get into contact if it ends up just being you and I.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results