shape
carat
color
clarity

How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My results were Madison, WI, Rockford, and Aurora, IL. I'm from southern IN, but spent the better part of the 2000's just outside Chicago so I guess it makes sense.

Around here (back down south again) people say "you guys, y'all, and y'uns" the latter being a contraction of the words "you" and "ones," which is sort of a hick expression. I usually say "you guys" which isn't very formal, but I don't like saying "y'all" because it seems so southern and I'm not really from the south.

My mom grew up in Wisconsin so that's likely why I speak more like a Midwesterner than any other factor.

Regional dialects are really interesting to me, too.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
it would not load my map earlier, so I am going to try again later.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's nifty ::)
I found myself choosing "I don't know what that word is" or "I don't have a word for that" quite a bit, I don't know what that might have done to my result.

I grew up in NZ and Australia but went to college in Baltimore, MD and now live in NY... so it pegged my city!

mydialectmap.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I grew up in Toronto, Ontario, (and didn't expect Canadian cities to be in this survey!) so being linked with Buffalo and Rochester NY, makes sense.

screen_shot_2013-12-23_at_3.png

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
This is a fun and interesting quiz. I got Raleigh, NC, Richmond, VA, and Montgomery, Alabama. Pretty spot on for me!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My map wouldn't show, but the little map on the left side that showed the previous question with the blue/red areas, I was still mostly in the Midwest.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine showed me as Washington DC (lived in that general area right before and during college), Oakland, CA (have lived in NorCal for 20+ years), and Houston Texas (never been there in my life, lol)!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Mine hit my hometown exactly, and two other places far from it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have lived in Chicago for 29 years but you can't take the Philly out of the language!

_12955.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It hit it on the head -- Rochester NY, where I grew up. Haven't been there in many many moons, but I still have that Roch twang. Others were Grand Rapids -- I hear a lot of similarities between Roch & Chicago accents; GR may be the same. Also Tempe AZ, never been there. That was fun.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I came up with Little Rock, AR, Jackson, MS and Birmingham, AL. I grew up in Nashville and have lived in Atlanta for the the last seven years, so I'd say this is decently close. I had a six year detour in Seattle between N'ville and ATL, but that didnt really effect my speech patterns!

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock
That was pretty fun - and accurate too. I lived on LI until my mid-twenties, and have been living in South Florida ever since, and those are the regions that reflect my answers.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I got Rockford and Aurora (both in IL, I'm in Chicago) and Detroit.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure how to copy map...
Lots of red in the NW part of the country. Darkest in the eastern part of WA and getting lighter from there.

Spokane (never been)
Boise (never been)
Seattle (lived within 2 hour drive my entire life)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nailed it though I've never lived in Overland Park or Indy. I've passed through both briefly. I was REALLY surprised there was nothing east coast listed since I spent a few years there.

amemap.png

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Nailed me also. It gave me Des Moines and Rockford, Il. and I grew up in about five different towns/cities right in the middle of the two. What's weird now is when the Texas stuff comes out, since I've spent a little over half my life down here. I don't really think about it so y'all/you guys and fixin' to/going to gets all mixed up.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is odd, and very accurate.

I lived in Florida until I was 6. Then I moved to LA till I was 10. Then I lived in Nor Cal till I was 20. Then I lived in DC/Maryland till I was 26. Then I lived in NJ till I was 32. Then I moved back to Nor Cal.

gypsy_map.png

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Mine was exactly right, too. I grew up in central MO, and my three cities were StL, Springfield (MO), and Oklahoma City.

We did it for DH, who is Australian. It said he was from Yonkers, Newark, Jersey City. He was, and still is, puzzled why I guffawed.

jess719

Shiny_Rock
I grew up in Cleveland, and I've lived in Houston the last 9 years. Who knew no one else calls it a tree lawn? :lol:

screen_shot_2013-12-23_at_12.png

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
OK I played. It got close but not exact. I grew up in Santa Barbara and then moved to LA. It pegged me in 3 different small towns even though I have lived in a major city for 25 year. Hmm, I guess I am still a small town boy. ;))

map.jpg

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
I played too. It was fun but took a while because English isn't my first language. Actually most of my answers showed the map all blue after the answer... :mrgreen:

n__ytt__kuva_2013-12-24_kohteessa_11.png

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Mine was accurate within 45 minutes of where I live. Rockford, Aurora (IL), and Toledo.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
justginger|1387862345|3579848 said:
Mine was exactly right, too. I grew up in central MO, and my three cities were StL, Springfield (MO), and Oklahoma City.

We did it for DH, who is Australian. It said he was from Yonkers, Newark, Jersey City. He was, and still is, puzzled why I guffawed.
Ok that's funny. But you cannot shake your roots ;-)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
texaskj said:
I don't really think about it so y'all/you guys and fixin' to/going to gets all mixed up.

Haha, Texasj! I knew a guy from Paducah, TX, who was always fixin' to do something. In NYC, where I worked w/him, it always made me chuckle.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've taken this a bunch of times and each time I get slightly different results, even though my answers are mostly the same. The one city that shows up consistently though is Boston, which sounds about right. Sometimes other cities in MA show up too, as have Yonkers (NY), Washington DC, and Arlington (VA).

There are a few things I say interchangeably:

traffic circle and rotary (mostly traffic circle though), ahnt and ant, firefly and lightning bug

There are a few words or phrases I've never heard of, such as the choices referring to the night before Halloween and a drive through liquor store.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results