shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you handle...

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
I know this probably belongs in the Family forum but I know this will get more traffic and I would like like all opinions...

My husband and I started trying for baby #2 this month, if I happen to get pregnant the first try, then "implantation" would be on 2/11 and my "missed period" would be 2/16. Most women, would know they are pregnant after that, but I in theory could know as early as 2/11-2/12 with an early detection home pregnancy test. (Sorry for all the womanly details, but I believe that may be pertinent in helping with someone's opinion.)

My issue is, I am scheduled for a wine tasting at work (I am in event planning and meeting with a potential vendor with my colleagues) on 2/13. Now it would be VERY early, and again many woman wouldn't know they are even pregnant at that point (and I might not even know, if the early test doesnt detect anything yet), but I still worry that I definitely shouldn't drink anything. However, it would obviously be way too early to tell my colleagues as to why I wouldnt drink....and I cant cancel the appt.

I am hoping maybe someone in the medical field can chime in on whether it matters that early, or maybe someone can give me a clever way to get around this.

Thank you in advance for your help!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoy your wine tasting-if your worried *that* much swish and spit. All in all I wouldn't fret about it though-I had an x-ray done before I knew i was pregnant and from my research after the fact everything was in the clear. My son is almost 16 months and very smart. Just don't get sloshed and you'll be fine! ::)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
You could not drink and tell them you are on antibiotics as an excuse.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I remember being told by my doctor that there was a roughly two week time period after pregnancy occurs that's supposedly a "safe" time - I think it has something to do with the fetus not yet getting its nutrition via the placenta, which doesn't happen immediately. So a fetus is not yet exposed to anything the mother ingests. This is what I recall (I've had two children), although you may wish to hear it from a doctor first. I personally wouldn't worry at all about drinking a little wine in the scenario you're describing.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I asked my OB about this a few months ago. We were TTC and, if I was pregnant that cycle, I would have found out right in the middle of a cruise. I fully planned on drinking on the cruise (for me, drinking = 1-2 glasses of wine with dinner). I asked her if there would be any issues, and she assured me that it was totally fine. There isn't even a blood supply shared that early on.

This cycle, I am going to wait to test until the day after Valentine's Day. We are going out to dinner and I want to have my wine.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I don't think you share blood supply until you are 6 weeks along. You should be fine!

If you aren't comfortable with it, use the antibiotic excuse.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
katharath|1391545532|3607806 said:
I remember being told by my doctor that there was a roughly two week time period after pregnancy occurs that's supposedly a "safe" time - I think it has something to do with the fetus not yet getting its nutrition via the placenta, which doesn't happen immediately. So a fetus is not yet exposed to anything the mother ingests. This is what I recall (I've had two children), although you may wish to hear it from a doctor first. I personally wouldn't worry at all about drinking a little wine in the scenario you're describing.

Totally true. Embryonically we develop a yolk sac (like a chicken) that provides nutrients in the first few weeks. I believe my A&P professor (who was also a retired OBGYN) said that essentially you could smoke crack the first two weeks after ovulation with no harm done to the fetus. (Not that he condoned this).

In your specific case I would do the wine tasting, but consume as little as possible. Taste the wine, but don't drink each glass in it's entirety. If any asks why you are not going to finish your glass plead slight headache, stomach upset, etc.

My first two pregnancies were carefully planned. My third was an oops. I drank 3 glasses of wine at dinner (a whole lot for me) 5 days before I realized I was pregnant. Thankfully I get the "gotta pee every 30 minutes" as soon as I can get a positive pregnancy test and realized that I was pregnant. Both my reproductive endocrinologist and my regular obgyn assured me that the alcohol I consumed could in no way effect my baby.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you could always just say you ate something earlier that didn't agree with your stomach and leave it at that.....

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
In all probability, you would be fine. However, technically-speaking, the potential of drinking while pregnant could still exist. Many women consume alcohol, smoke, etc. knowingly or unknowingly while pregnant and no harm is done. Lots of us have stories about drinking, etc. before we knew we were pregnant and yes, our doctors said that all is fine (probably said to make us feel better and reduce guilt/stress).
I don't think that a wine tasting (assuming that it's very small amounts of alcohol) would be harmful, but I don't think that even a doctor would give you the stamp of approval (with 100% certainty) because there are reasons why they encourage women to avoid certain things during pregnancy. If I were in your shoes, I'd attend the wine tasting and drink the most minimal amount that I could get away with without compromising the pregnancy and/or the wine tasting.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't drink and tell everyone the tasks you're on the clock and trying to make the event a success!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You don't share a blood supply with the "baby" until about 21 DPO, so I would not worry about it. Just avoid getting hammered ;)) Or else just abstain and say you are fighting the last of a stomach bug.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't take the risk. When TTC, I basically cut out all liquor (not that I am a drinker anyway, but you know what I mean). I would taste it and spit.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
For what it's worth, I miscarried a pregnancy and always wondered if it was something I did (that glass of wine before I knew that I was pregnant, etc.). It's normal to feel a certain amount of guilt when something like that happens, even when you know that you probably had little (or nothing at all) to do with a miscarriage). Sure, a doctor might say that you'd be just fine when drinking small amounts of alcohol (or worse) during early pregnancy, but that doesn't change the fact that we tend to feel responsible for a baby while carrying it.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're worried enough to create a post about it, I think it would be wise to abstain completely. I know you asked for medical professionals to chime in so I won't offer my personal opinion. But here are some "excuses":

1. Recently discovered allergy to sulphites.
2. Wine gives me a headache.
3. Gotta drive home from this event!
4. I'm vegan. (Most wines are not vegan due to the fining agents.)
5. I have a lot of work to finish when I get home.
6. I'm abstaining tonight so I can have wine with my husband on Valentine's Day tomorrow.

There are like a million excuses. You'll get way better at them the next few months either while you're still TTC or before you want to announce your pregnancy! Good luck!
*ETA oops, just saw this could be your 2nd! You must not have encountered this issue the first time around. You'll be fine. Probably no one will even notice if you don't taste or just swish and spit.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for their responses....they make me feel much better if worse comes to worse and I have to take a sip or two. But you all gave me good excuses, so hopefully I wont have to! (and I can keep them in my back pocket for the future months too) @VapidLapid The antibiotics thing is genius...I dont know why I never thought of that before...I'll be using that one throughout the first 3 months I'm sure! Haha

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Another drinking trick while pregnant or TTC is to get an accomplice to periodically switch drinks with you. I had multiple miscarriages before our DD#1 was born so DH and I didn't tell anyone until almost 20 weeks. Not drinking in our social circle would be a dead give away that we were pregnant. I would pretend to drink and every so often I would sit my beer/wine next DH's identical drink and he would pick up mine and start drinking that one. I would pick up his and pretend to sip for awhile then switch. No one ever caught on.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
This might not help you but will help others in drinking situations. When the waiter comes to take drink orders be indecisive. After he takes all the orders, have an "ah ha" moment and go to the bar yourself. Get a cranberry soda with lime. Looks like a cocktail.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results