shape
carat
color
clarity

How Trump Incites Followers To Violence

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not watch very much television, but sometimes during election season, I make an exception. Last night before my daughter and I watched, "House of Cards" we saw a segment by a woman I did not know (but my daughter did) from MSNBC. It turned out that she is well-known. Her name is Rachel Maddow. I looked for the video today on YouTube and, although the most recent incarnation was unavailable, I found one that was almost as good. It is an older version of the same same basic theme.

The video clearly shows Donald Trump, a Republican candidate for president, inciting his supporters to violence.

The latest video-the one I saw last night-is even better. I hope that everyone will look for it. It has a huge amount more material than the one linked here since Mr. Trump has had more time to continue his behavior and that behavior has been recorded on videotape.

Link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuTe_sAI-UQ

AGBF

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unbelievable isn't it? And then he denies it all. :wall: :nono: :cry:

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will never understand what has happened to our country that has allowed this repugnant man to gain such widespread support. I feel sick thinking of the probable results of the FL primary today. I am disgusted with my state and really with the US in general right now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1458047519|4005559 said:
I will never understand what has happened to our country that has allowed this repugnant man to gain such widespread support. I feel sick thinking of the probable results of the FL primary today. I am disgusted with my state and really with the US in general right now.

What's happening is that many people just know the superficial "reality" of what a candidate represents and who they are and don't see beyond that and there are an appalling amount of people who vote like that IMO. So all they know is they are unhappy with things as they are and want a change. But they really don't get what the candidate they are supporting stands for and who he really is. That's my thinking on this anyway. Otherwise I cannot explain why Trump has such a following so I am going with the thought that ignorance is bliss to these supporters and they see what they want to see and not the reality of the situation.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
missy|1458047675|4005560 said:
liaerfbv|1458047519|4005559 said:

What's happening is that many people just know the superficial "reality" of what a candidate represents and who they are and don't see beyond that and there are an appalling amount of people who vote like that IMO. So all they know is they are unhappy with things as they are and want a change. But they really don't get what the candidate they are supporting stands for and who he really is. That's my thinking on this anyway. Otherwise I cannot explain why Trump has such a following so I am going with the thought that ignorance is bliss to these supporters and they see what they want to see and not the reality of the situation.

I think you see the good in people and I wish I had that characteristic. When I hear someone say they either support him vote or in some scenario could vote for him, all I hear now is "I'm a white supremacist" or "I'm okay with a white supremacist as our President." I used to think it was ignorance but at this point I don't anymore. I think people know what they are getting and that's what they want, which makes me feel ill about the direction we're going as a country.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv, I am also holding on to the hope that he cannot possibly get elected as President of the USA so that keeps me in a more positive frame of mind re this country but yeah I understand what you are saying. I just hope it isn't true.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So far the polls are showing that either Hillary or Bernie spank him in the general election, so at least there is that. But yes, seeing the racism and hatred in our country front and center like this has been disheartening.

Politico had an interesting article about why Evangelicals are voting for Trump and the history of Evangelicals and politics in America that is quite interesting. I will see if I can dig it up again.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm feeling particularly glum about it today because there was a Trump rally at the Tampa convention center yesterday and I could see the absolute crush of cars with all their flags (confederate and otherwise) and Trump stickers headed that way from my office window...

I believe someone is going to die at one of his rallies sooner rather than later. I have so much respect for the protesters who go because I would fear for my safety.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
The media is partly to blame for whipping this up into what it has become (not that Trump has any problems stirring the pot all on his own), but I am so tired of how they nit-pick at every. single. thing. As I've said before, I'm not a Trump supporter, but I refuse to allow myself to get caught up in all of the media frenzy. I'm done with this election. I'm voting in the primaries because it will likely be the only vote I will cast in this election... I have come to terms with the fact that I have absolutely no control over the outcome and that it will be what it will be. And as far as the hatred and racism in this country is concerned, things have been pretty awful for a long time coming now, so to blame it all on Trump, is missing the big picture IMO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy, I won't speak for the others here but I will say I don't think that is what anyone here is saying. Rather, it is the thought that how sad we are in the predicament we are in that so many would vote for Trump (rather than Trump being the cause of our problems as they stand now). A distinct and definite difference. Why are so many behind such a (vile IMO) man vs he is the cause of how things are. No, it is much more the fact that people would vote for him and for what he stands etc.

momhappy said:
The media is partly to blame for whipping this up into what it has become (not that Trump has any problems stirring the pot all on his own), but I am so tired of how they nit-pick at every. single. thing. As I've said before, I'm not a Trump supporter, but I refuse to allow myself to get caught up in all of the media frenzy. I'm done with this election. I'm voting in the primaries because it will likely be the only vote I will cast in this election... I have come to terms with the fact that I have absolutely no control over the outcome and that it will be what it will be. And as far as the hatred and racism in this country is concerned, things have been pretty awful for a long time coming now, so to blame it all on Trump, is missing the big picture IMO.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1458050959|4005584 said:

The media is not responsible for a "whipping up a frenzy" by reporting the asinine things a presidential candidate says. We in fact should be in a bigger frenzy for how much support he has. I do not blame Trump for racism and hatred, but I do blame him for making the problem worse instead of trying to make it better. That's actually the bigger picture.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
liaerfbv|1458051427|4005587 said:

The media is not responsible for a "whipping up a frenzy" by reporting the asinine things a presidential candidate says. We in fact should be in a bigger frenzy for how much support he has. I do not blame Trump for racism and hatred, but I do blame him for making the problem worse instead of trying to make it better. That's actually the bigger picture.

I agree that many of the candidates have no trouble at all saying asinine things, but the media plays a substantial role IMO. I do not support Trump in his words or actions, but this whole election process has turned into such a joke and the media is partly to blame. There is nothing I can do about Trump and his supporters beyond not voting for him in the primaries and that's what I intend to do.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This popped up on F/B & Twitter in regards to Trump and a few of your other candidates;

12794639_10154013250661907_2531920419747381212_n.jpg

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock

This. (Bolded)
Trump is the focal point for white hatred and racism, just like the recent incidents with concerning police behaviour over the past few years are a focal points for the anger and frustration felt in black communities.

These issues have been there for all this time. Just with the media, internet, and social media there is now a way of harnessing, focusing, and raising the profile of it. I also think 'extremism' is on trend right now. Widespread support for Trump (Extreme left) and Sanders ( Extreme left) (both of whom wouldn't have been viable candidates even 4 years ago), Isis, resurgence of extreme right-wing and neo-nazi parties in Europe. This is something that is going on worldwide. I'm personally scared of what this will ultimately mean over the next few decades.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

First off, I'm not a 'Chump' fan. He's not 'my candidate' even if he is on my party's ballot. Just throwing that out there so it's clear I'm not defending him here.

BUT, I watched that Maddow woman covering the events in Chicago live on the night of the incident, and I was absolutely DISGUSTED with her "reporting" of it. She editorialized, opined, cast blame and judgment, and added so much of her clearly-biased views on what she was reporting that I simply could NOT watch it. She based all of her reporting on her own prejudices and that was evident because - at the time - little was available about what was happened and who was causing the ruckus EXCEPT that it was a Trump rally. Where was she when this happened to Sanders, and two BLM protestors took over his stage & mic? SILENT! That is one part of the problem - Media reporting on their biased opinions instead of the facts (or waiting FOR the facts before reporting on their opinions). And it's all media ... Fox is guilty as well; that's why I tune out that stuff.

The second problem is - I don't care whose rally it was - Chump, Cruz, Sanders or Clinton. ANYONE who attends those events with the sole intent on disrupting others from participating, hearing the message being shared by the candidate, inciting violence or hatred (e.g., the two little girls at said rally holding a "F$#@ Trump" sign - really?) ... these people ARE the problem. Two wrongs don't make a right. If you don't like the message and want to 'protest' it, fine, but do it respectfully and in a way that does NOT prevent others from also practicing their 1A rights. Stand on the sidewalk, hold your sign, chant "dump trump". But DON'T get in the faces of innocent participants who just want to hear a message and spit on them while screaming your opinions, and inciting violence with your own behavior. These protestors organized and showed up with a goal of causing problems, and they ZERO sympathy from me, and if they suffered somehow as a result of their behavior, it's on THEM.

In the end - every single person is responsible for THEIR actions. But if you want to lay fault at Chump's feet for 'inciting' a riot, then be sure to do the same with Obama for the Ferguson, Baltimore & NY riots with his divisive, anti-LEO rhetoric and one-sided support for obvious thuggery. After all, all's fair in love and politics! :wavey:

And again, I am not in Camp Chump, but the reason he has such a large following is the same reason Obama had such a large following ... people are pissed, they want to feel heard and validated, and Chump gives that to them. The tables are just turned now in terms of party.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1458052198|4005598 said:
I also think 'extremism' is on trend right now. Widespread support for Trump (Extreme left) and Sanders ( Extreme left) (both of whom wouldn't have been viable candidates even 4 years ago),

I take strong exception to lumping Bernie Sanders with Donald Trump by labelling him "Extreme Left" and Mr. Trump "Extreme Right". The ideas espoused by Senator Sanders are not so far left wing that they involve going outside the Constitution or the laws of the United States, nor does he advocate violence. He is responsible towards people who attend his rallies and and in how he advises them to behave.

Mr. Trump's ideas are far from being the most right wing ideas of those of any Republican presidential candidate. Both Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are far more right wing than he is is. One should not mistake xenophobia for a right wing agenda. Throwing out Mexican immigrants who cannot produce exactly the documents Mr. Trump would like them to produce and building a wall to keep them out does not make a conservative agenda. Nor does excluding Muslims from immigrating. It just makes him a bigot.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn, I hear what you're saying. I don't really care for Rachel Maddow myself. I didn't see the specific report you mentioned, but based on other reports of hers I've seen, it doesn't surprise me.

IMO the distinction is the message delivered by Trump himself. He is encouraging violence. His message in itself is hate - build a wall to keep out Mexicans, create a registry of Muslims, destroy women who oppose you (that incident with his campaign manager and the reporter is so out of bounds I could write a whole post on how they have tried to discredit and destroy her), etc. Whether or not you think Obama has anti-LEO rhetoric (for the record, I don't), he has not plainly said "People who disagree with me should be punched." Obama has not said there are citizens in our country who deserve less rights than us white folk. I just don't think you can even compare the two situations.

Disagreeing with his campaign and his message just truly trumps (no pun intended) politics and party rhetoric. This is not about republicans vs democrats... this is about hate. Allowing him to rise to a leadership role is an endorsement of hate.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
JoCoJenn|1458052434|4005602 said:

First off, I'm not a 'Chump' fan. He's not 'my candidate' even if he is on my party's ballot. Just throwing that out there so it's clear I'm not defending him here.

BUT, I watched that Maddow woman covering the events in Chicago live on the night of the incident, and I was absolutely DISGUSTED with her "reporting" of it. She editorialized, opined, cast blame and judgment, and added so much of her clearly-biased views on what she was reporting that I simply could NOT watch it. She based all of her reporting on her own prejudices and that was evident because - at the time - little was available about what was happened and who was causing the ruckus EXCEPT that it was a Trump rally. Where was she when this happened to Sanders, and two BLM protestors took over his stage & mic? SILENT! That is one part of the problem - Media reporting on their biased opinions instead of the facts (or waiting FOR the facts before reporting on their opinions). And it's all media ... Fox is guilty as well; that's why I tune out that stuff.

The second problem is - I don't care whose rally it was - Chump, Cruz, Sanders or Clinton. ANYONE who attends those events with the sole intent on disrupting others from participating, hearing the message being shared by the candidate, inciting violence or hatred (e.g., the two little girls at said rally holding a "F$#@ Trump" sign - really?) ... these people ARE the problem. Two wrongs don't make a right. If you don't like the message and want to 'protest' it, fine, but do it respectfully and in a way that does NOT prevent others from also practicing their 1A rights. Stand on the sidewalk, hold your sign, chant "dump trump". But DON'T get in the faces of innocent participants who just want to hear a message and spit on them while screaming your opinions, and inciting violence with your own behavior. These protestors organized and showed up with a goal of causing problems, and they ZERO sympathy from me, and if they suffered somehow as a result of their behavior, it's on THEM.

In the end - every single person is responsible for THEIR actions. But if you want to lay fault at Chump's feet for 'inciting' a riot, then be sure to do the same with Obama for the Ferguson, Baltimore & NY riots with his divisive, anti-LEO rhetoric and one-sided support for obvious thuggery. After all, all's fair in love and politics! :wavey:

And again, I am not in Camp Chump, but the reason he has such a large following is the same reason Obama had such a large following ... people are pissed, they want to feel heard and validated, and Chump gives that to them. The tables are just turned now in terms of party.

Yes, exactly and I'm glad that you went into more depth than I did - especially the part about Obama & the riots..... Sadly, the big picture is to blame (if you must point fingers) and while Trump is an a*s, this issue is far more complex than that.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1458053465|4005613 said:
IMO the distinction is the message delivered by Trump himself. He is encouraging violence. His message in itself is hate - build a wall to keep out Mexicans, create a registry of Muslims, destroy women who oppose you (that incident with his campaign manager and the reporter is so out of bounds I could write a whole post on how they have tried to discredit and destroy her), etc. Whether or not you think Obama has anti-LEO rhetoric (for the record, I don't), he has not plainly said "People who disagree with me should be punched." Obama has not said there are citizens in our country who deserve less rights than us white folk. I just don't think you can even compare the two situations.

Disagreeing with his campaign and his message just truly trumps (no pun intended) politics and party rhetoric. This is not about republicans vs democrats... this is about hate. Allowing him to rise to a leadership role is an endorsement of hate.

I agree his message is hate, not a right wing agenda. Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio are hard core right wing. Trump has no clear agenda. He contradicts himself. But he sure does hate. And I am glad you mentioned women again in this thread. His misogyny should be kept in the forefront. We women make up over half the population.

Link...http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/donald-trump-said-a-lot-of-gross-things-about-women-on-howar#.tqP4L1JvW

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... all I gotta say is ...

america.png

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The article about Evangelicals and Trump:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/the-huge-cultural-shift-thats-helping-trump-win-evangelicals-213729

Here's another one on persistent racism and the GOP:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/03/researchers-have-found-strong-evidence-that-racism-helps-the-gop-win/

I guess my point is, that this has always been the GOP, they've just tried to keep it quiet because of fear. Probably fear that they will not get elected in general elections. Trump has stripped off that veneer and is laying it all out in the open. And racist whites are being whipped into a frenzy.

I think a lot of this also has to fall at the feet of Fox News and conservative radio. They whip up the fears and the underlying hate that many conservatives are feeling for ratings. Even Newt Gingrich said that Fox News created Trump, and he's not exactly a liberal.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BeekeeperBetty|1458058760|4005662 said:
I think a lot of this also has to fall at the feet of Fox News and conservative radio. They whip up the fears and the underlying hate that many conservatives are feeling for ratings. Even Newt Gingrich said that Fox News created Trump, and he's not exactly a liberal.

The same can be said for Dems and CNN/MSNBC/etc. They stir up their base with all kinds of hate-laced commentary and fearmongering. Recall Joe Biden and his "they're gonna put you all back in chains" comment to a black audience? What kind of message is THAT?

Both sides have their issues - no argument there. But - in the end - regardless of who SAYS what, a person and his/her actions are what needs to be held accountable. If they break the law with disturbing the peace or the spirit of 'free speech' - whether they have a Sander's or a Kasich sign in their hands while doing so or whether they listened to Maddow or Levin - they should be held accountable.

And yes, if they get shoved or popped in the mouth because they got up in someone's face unnecessarily to try to press their point to someone who didn't ask for it, they deserve it. I see that as a violation of one's personal space, and I don't want someone else's spit on me from their yelling and carrying on like a nutcase while I'm simply trying to go about my business of hearing a candidate's positions.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trump and Sharpton are birds of a feather. Different sides of the same coin. We as Americans need to throw that coin in the sewer grate. We won't tho bc we seem to thrive on the drama. If we didn't, and instead acted like grown ass adults, we wouldn't be in this predicament.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1458059316|4005667 said:
BeekeeperBetty|1458058760|4005662 said:

The same can be said for Dems and CNN/MSNBC/etc. They stir up their base with all kinds of hate-laced commentary and fearmongering. Recall Joe Biden and his "they're gonna put you all back in chains" comment to a black audience? What kind of message is THAT?

Both sides have their issues - no argument there. But - in the end - regardless of who SAYS what, a person and his/her actions are what needs to be held accountable. If they break the law with disturbing the peace or the spirit of 'free speech' - whether they have a Sander's or a Kasich sign in their hands while doing so or whether they listened to Maddow or Levin - they should be held accountable.

And yes, if they get shoved or popped in the mouth because they got up in someone's face unnecessarily to try to press their point to someone who didn't ask for it, they deserve it.
I see that as a violation of one's personal space, and I don't want someone else's spit on me from their yelling and carrying on like a nutcase while I'm simply trying to go about my business of hearing a candidate's positions.

I pretty much agree with you, JCJ. I was even going to let "popped in the mouth" go, because protesting carries risks and we all know it. But the truth is that popped in the mouth should be a no no unless I put my mouth on you. Your right to extend your fist stops where my face begins.

Deb :wavey:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1458063330|4005684 said:
I pretty much agree with you, JCJ. I was even going to let "popped in the mouth" go, because protesting carries risks and we all know it. But the truth is that popped in the mouth should be a no no unless I put my mouth on you. Your right to extend your fist stops where my face begins.

Well, if someone is aggressively hollering/yelling in my face with their mouth (not 5 feet away from me but "all up in my face"), I find that to be very threatening & provoking behavior, and I feel it's my right to protect myself, be it to shove them back, pop 'em, etc. I don't think that is extreme or inappropriate on my part; it's self defense. Breaking out my concealed firearm WOULD be extreme.

People need to act like adults and respect others - PERIOD - on both sides! What some of these protestors are doing is NOT respectful nor peaceful. It reminds me of the Westboro Baptist Church crew, and in some regards, even worse. And quite frankly, a lot of people in this country ARE fed up with that sort of behavior because it has consistently resulted in riots, destruction of private and public property, injuries, looting, and more riots and inappropriate behavior. Just like people on the left are fed up with things that led them to support their candidate/s - like it or not, there ARE people who disagree with progressive policies. But I don't see non-liberal rallies & "protests" resulting in that sort of activity and threatening behavior.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
JoCoJenn|1458064567|4005691 said:
AGBF|1458063330|4005684 said:

Well, if someone is aggressively hollering/yelling in my face with their mouth (not 5 feet away from me but "all up in my face"), I find that to be very threatening & provoking behavior, and I feel it's my right to protect myself, be it to shove them back, pop 'em, etc. I don't think that is extreme or inappropriate on my part; it's self defense. Breaking out my concealed firearm WOULD be extreme.

People need to act like adults and respect others - PERIOD - on both sides! What some of these protestors are doing is NOT respectful nor peaceful. It reminds me of the Westboro Baptist Church crew, and in some regards, even worse. And quite frankly, a lot of people in this country ARE fed up with that sort of behavior because it has consistently resulted in riots, destruction of private and public property, injuries, looting, and more riots and inappropriate behavior. Just like people on the left are fed up with things that led them to support their candidate/s - like it or not, there ARE people who disagree with progressive policies. But I don't see non-liberal rallies & "protests" resulting in that sort of activity and threatening behavior.

Bingo. Right again.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, but being in someone's face does not allow for abusive behavior.

If your wife is yelling in your face, is it OK to hit her?

If the protestors at an abortion clinic are yellingnin your face, can I hit them? (This would be one of those "non liberal" protests you're talking about)

Sorry. No.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone talking =/= abuse
Someone talking does not give you the right to touch them whatsoever.

jeeze don't we teach kids this? "Just because Bobby said you're ugly or got up in your face about it doesn't give you the right to hit him." Why is it ok for adults?

D_

Shiny_Rock
liaerfbv|1458048029|4005562 said:
When I hear someone say they either support him vote or in some scenario could vote for him, all I hear now is "I'm a white supremacist" or "I'm okay with a white supremacist as our President." I used to think it was ignorance but at this point I don't anymore. I think people know what they are getting and that's what they want, which makes me feel ill about the direction we're going as a country.

You will be surprised at how many of people like that are.
And yes, it's not just the stereotypical ignorant etc. people only.
Trump (or at least his political consultant) knows that and they capitalize on this.

The same goes for many other countries too.

So if the maths are correct, # of smart/well-educated people < # of ignorant people + some of the smart/well-educated people choose to go with Trump because of the above and probably a host of other reasons, good or bad = we're fudged.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1458064567|4005691 said:
What some of these protestors are doing is NOT respectful nor peaceful.

Frankly, the views espoused by Trump and his supporters are not deserving of respect. This goes beyond politics. This is not about taxes, or social programs, or a difference of opinion on religion. This is flat out bigotry, misogyny, and fascism, and EVERYONE should be screaming WE WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS IN OUR COUNTRY.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results