color
clarity

How Trump Incites Followers To Violence

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1458175048|4006429 said:
liaerfbv|1458173788|4006416 said:
I find it hilarious when Repubs tout trickle down economics but deny the plausibility of "trickle down" gun reform.

I don't personally see it as "trickle down gun reform". Rather, it's like replacing a faucet gasket when your house is being flooded by a cracked water main. You have to look at the root cause of the incidents. Guns do not just "go off". It takes an action that it requires someone making a concerted effort and decision to pull that trigger. The effect could be the same (harm of another) regardless of the tool used. So, you don't look at the tool, you have to look at the "why" or the cause. Was it self defense? Was it retaliatory (e.g., drug or gang violence), or was it because of mental illness? Then you approach THOSE problems individually and appropriately because there is NO one size fits all solution that can really apply to them all equally. That's why the gun control measures that HAVE been put in place have failed. The government has changed too many faucet gaskets while allowing the cause of the flood to continue.

I don't want to clutter up Deb's thread with our gun control debate (the next gun control thread we can really go to town :lol: ), but the short answer is I think you you have to look at it comprehensively. Yes, address the root of the problems as you said above AND implement gun control laws all together. We are failing on both accounts.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1458175371|4006438 said:
I don't want to clutter up Deb's thread with our gun control debate (the next gun control thread we can really go to town :lol: ), but the short answer is I think you you have to look at it comprehensively. Yes, address the root of the problems as you said above AND implement gun control laws all together. We are failing on both accounts.

Agreed. Back on topic.

Deb, I'm sorry, and I would happily pop Chump in the mouth if he gets "all up in my face". :D

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1458175597|4006443 said:
liaerfbv|1458175371|4006438 said:

Agreed. Back on topic.

Deb, I'm sorry, and I would happily pop Chump in the mouth if he gets "all up in my face". :D

Don't apologize to me. I don't mind a threadjack if it goes onto a political topic. (Gun control qualifies.) I just don't have anything to say about it myself. ;))

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1458177218|4006462 said:
Don't apologize to me. I don't mind a threadjack if it goes onto a political topic. (Gun control qualifies.) ;))

What if I post a picture of my puppy? :D A puppy who - by the way - caught and killed a mouse outside yesterday and brought it inside to me as a gift while I was on a work conference call. :-o

_2432.jpeg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
momhappy|1458090911|4005909 said:
kenny|1458088252|4005891 said:
I support fixing the Constitution and removing ALL guns from every American, except for the military and law enforcement.

Other countries have pulled their heads out of their @sses.
We can too.

We are not "other countries" so making the comparison is apples to oranges.

And yet, over the last century and a half, Americans have had no problem imposing themselves on other countries.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And since I broke my self imposed rule of not talking about politics on the internet, here is a kitten.

Sir Nicholas Augustus Bastethotep Black, the 8th

img_20160228_205538.jpg

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Packrat

I'm sure it is true for you too that if you found someone's underlying worldview so sinister and maladaptive to be at best delusional and at worst deeply insidious and harmful to society at large, the flippancy of a 'gear change' is more indicative of that problematic lack of empathy than evidence of being able to hash things out and move on. The kid's thing to do is stomp off, the younger adult's thing probably to shrug and smooth over with a slight sense of unease. The sensible adult probably stays out of it and never engages. A few will challenge, and a few less will call out the degree and perniciousness of the view and decide even diamonds aren't worth trivialising their sustained horror that somebody actually thinks like this

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Lady_Disdain|1458178073|
Sir Nicholas Augustus Bastethotep Black, the 8th[/quote]

I nominate him for Prez of the US. With such a distinguished name, he shouldn't be simply lying on a bench :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1458177625|4006470 said:
What if I post a picture of my puppy? :D A puppy who - by the way - caught and killed a mouse outside yesterday and brought it inside to me as a gift while I was on a work conference call.

Did you tell her she's a dog, not a cat? I have to have regular talks with Griffin. Tonight I had to hand feed him the corned beef he had left in his dish (a strange new thing). This ended up happening on the living room floor. I lectured him (once again) on being a carnivore and a descendant of wolves. I explained that in the wild there were no pizza ovens and that he was going to have to learn to enjoy meat. Once I got him to try the corned beef, he accepted it. But it was a struggle. (I am used to Labs and Golden Retrievers. They would, literally, eat cardboard or aluminum foil. So having a 150 pound dog who won't eat meat shocks me!)

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1458178073|4006477 said:
And since I broke my self imposed rule of not talking about politics on the internet, here is a kitten.

Now here we have a natural mouse catcher. Adorable!!!

beatrizcat.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralfish|1458178341|4006482 said:
Packrat

I'm sure it is true for you too that if you found someone's underlying worldview so sinister and maladaptive to be at best delusional and at worst deeply insidious and harmful to society at large, the flippancy of a 'gear change' is more indicative of that problematic lack of empathy than evidence of being able to hash things out and move on. The kid's thing to do is stomp off, the younger adult's thing probably to shrug and smooth over with a slight sense of unease. The sensible adult probably stays out of it and never engages. A few will challenge, and a few less will call out the degree and perniciousness of the view and decide even diamonds aren't worth trivialising their sustained horror that somebody actually thinks like this

Seriously? You may need to step far away from your keyboard a smidge. There is more false psychoanalysis (and via the Internet even) in that one post than Rachel Maddow applied to the Chicago riot in its entirety. I almost find it laughable if not kind of creepy, to be honest.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralfish|1458178341|4006482 said:
Packrat

the flippancy of a 'gear change' is more indicative of that problematic lack of empathy than evidence of being able to hash things out and move on.

There is a PS tradition that when conversation becomes less erudite and/or starts running in circles and/or the participants start wearing the victim mantel with aplomb and/or when someone starts taking an internet discussion so seriously as to impugn the participants in egregious fashion (said participants being akin to having imaginary friends), we try to defuse the tension with a little off-color humor or a short thread-jack or with pie which stands as metaphor for innumerable things associated with the main discussion.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1458178073|4006477 said:

Oh how cute is he! I love all furry creatures. What did he do to his tail?

AGBF|1458178568|4006487 said:
JoCoJenn|1458177625|4006470 said:
Did you tell her she's a dog, not a cat? I have to have regular talks with Griffin. Tonight I had to hand feed him the corned beef he had left in his dish (a strange new thing). This ended up happening on the living room floor. I lectured him (once again) on being a carnivore and a descendant of wolves. I explained that in the wild there were no pizza ovens and that he was going to have to learn to enjoy meat. Once I got him to try the corned beef, he accepted it. But it was a struggle. (I am used to Labs and Golden Retrievers. They would, literally, eat cardboard or aluminum foil. So having a 150 pound dog who won't eat meat shocks me!)

Deb :wavey:

:lol: :lol: so funny you say that ... Donut found some aluminum foil under the deck last week and chewed it to shreds. We did have a discussion about her actions, and I gave her a Dr. Seuss-like talking to about "no mouse in the house". :D

I really think you should post a pic of your sweet Griffin ... to sort of round out our furbaby fun. It's your thread after all. :D

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Key lime pie. All you lemon pie lovers can bite me.

key_lime_pie.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cheesecake Factory Strawberry Shortcake ... no contest! :love:

Great, now I gotta carve in a trip there this weekend. It IS my favorite dessert. :drool:

_2433.jpeg

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Matata

It was that unique juxtaposition of the BLM movement found as causative for the malign behaviour of that particular group (false psychoanalysis perhaps? :saint: ) and its followup re a jeweller's pamphlet that invited that interpretation of it. First time in a number of years on PS that I saw that kind of interchange as anything other than that to which you refer

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1458179889|4006510 said:

Pffft, what is this pimpled berry of which you speak? And factory made no less. It does not compare to the noble citrus -- sun-kissed, tree ripened, sweet yet sour.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralfish|1458179964|4006511 said:
Matata
First time in a number of years on PS that I saw that kind of interchange as anything other than that to which you refer
Welcome to the Twilight Zone.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
MMMMM JD makes a layer cake w/whipped cream and strawberries bursting out of it...and if he uses a certain kind of frozen strawberries there's juice that soaks into the cake so it's sort of like a jello cake too. That's what I vote for.

And we all know the proper pie is chocolate pie.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coralfish|1458179964|4006511 said:
Matata

It was that unique juxtaposition of the BLM movement found as causative for the malign behaviour of that particular group (false psychoanalysis perhaps? :saint: ) and its followup re a jeweller's pamphlet that invited that interpretation of it. First time in a number of years on PS that I saw that kind of interchange as anything other than that to which you refer

CF - Niel and I do not live in the same town, we aren't FB pals, and we don't have weekly gatherings to ogle eachother's jewelry (and last time I checked, this IS a jewelry forum). So if my happening to 'run into her in the PS hallway' and mentioning something that we had traded posts about last week renders me some sort of whatever it is you're trying to label me, then ... whatever makes you feel whole, I guess.

Or perhaps you're just really bored ... or projecting your own insecurities onto others ... ya know, that whole "point one finger at someone and three are pointing back at yourself" thing. Yea, that.

Either way, hang it up. We've moved on to kitties, puppies, and kickass desserts. Try fixing yourself a drink and loosening your collar. :wavey:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1458180681|4006522 said:
MMMMM JD makes a layer cake w/whipped cream and strawberries bursting out of it...and if he uses a certain kind of frozen strawberries there's juice that soaks into the cake so it's sort of like a jello cake too. That's what I vote for.

:worthless_without_picsX2: :D

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quit irritating Britta Rose and eat some damn pie, CF.

untitled__36_.png

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1458180099|4006513 said:

Pffft, what is this pimpled berry of which you speak? And factory made no less. It does not compare to the noble citrus -- sun-kissed, tree ripened, sweet yet sour.

It's like 5 times the size! How bout I zest a little lime on it?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1458180775|4006524 said:
Try fixing yourself a drink and loosening your collar. :wavey:
I actually did this before I checked in here. Had a very proper dirty martini with 3 jumbo olives. I am loose all over :bigsmile:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1458181013|4006530 said:

Wellll, ok. But if we're ever at a PS get together together, I'm not sure I can talk to you.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great, now I gotta carve in a trip there this weekend. It IS my favorite dessert. :drool:
That is a liberal dessert!... :Up_to_something:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1458181140|4006534 said:
JoCoJenn|1458181013|4006530 said:

Wellll, ok. But if we're ever at a PS get together together, I'm not sure I can talk to you.

I didn't say I dislike key lime pie ... It's just not my 'numero uno'.

Dancing Fire|1458181157|4006535 said:

That is a liberal dessert!... :Up_to_something:

It's my attempt to be bipartisan. :D

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
JoCoJenn|1458180904|4006526 said:
packrat|1458180681|4006522 said:

:worthless_without_picsX2: :D

I have none. However, I can offer you a picture of the first cake JD made for me, on my 26th birthday, 15 years ago.

553211_10201350452098201_121832014_n.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1458181459|4006536 said:
[
I didn't say I dislike key lime pie ... It's just not my 'numero uno'. /quote]

My favorite way to make strawberry pie is to load a homemade pie crust with ripe berries then pour 1 cup of mashed berries cooked with a little sugar all over. Real whipped cream on top; sometimes add a layer of dark chocolate or cream cheese to the bottom of the crust before I add the berries. Deeeeelish :lickout:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww Packrat, that so sweet. JD's a good fella!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results