shape
carat
color
clarity

how to sell fine china?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother has a set that she inherited from her great grandmother and we used growing up. My mother no longer uses. As I have a small home I don't use fine china, but I offered to take it, so that it could be handed down to one of my daughters. However she could also use the money. She is trying to weigh her options. If she will not get much she will sell to me for a nominal amount. If she can get a bit of money, she is willing to sell. She would prefer to sell as a set. Not sure if she is willing to deal with ebay, unless one of us kids does it for her. I didn't check my ebay for awhile and something happened and I ended up having to redo my ebay account so I went from 100+ positive to 0 history! So while I could sell for her I wouln't be the best. Are there auction houses that deal with china?
supposedly it is royal worchester, blue broseley with gold trim.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I live near a Replacements, but I've heard bad things about them. for one thing they want you to ship them your china, and then will give you a quote. Most people will accept at that point because of shipping hassle. But maybe I should at least inquire.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1412088791|3759192 said:
Actually I live near a Replacements, but I've heard bad things about them. for one thing they want you to ship them your china, and then will give you a quote. Most people will accept at that point because of shipping hassle. But maybe I should at least inquire.

My husband sold a set of I can't even remember what kind and got $400 a few years ago. He was very pleased with the experience. I think you need to do a little research first and make sure what you have is something they typically buy, and you should know a bit about the condition of the pieces and how that factors into the quote they give you. He had purchased his originally at an auction for a very low price, however, and was not at all attached to the set. A lot of people are (whether they are conscious of it or not) emotionally attached to some degree to things they try to sell, and don't want to think about the fact that the other company is in it for profit alone. It's similar to jewelry and when people go to sell old Aunt Rosie's vintage pieces and are only offered scrap value or something similarly "insulting."

Hopefully someone has a better idea. Good luck!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I think my mother is in that situation. She is emotionally attached to the pieces. Most likely she would just give to me if I promised I used them, but I explained that we use Corelle, and other than maybe a couple serving pieces would not be using regularly. So I think for now she will just keep them.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not use the good china? I have some corelle but have been slowly transitioning to using china most of the time. It's nicer and gives me pleasure to use it. If dishes break, what's the big deal. They are not meant to last forever in the china cabinet or the basement. One of my gfs just bought almost a full set for 20 bucks at a flea market and just uses it daily. Dishwasher, kids, guests.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ironically we have built in butler's pantry in the hallway leading from kitchen to study, but other than some Fiesta pieces, some vases and some champange flutes has become a clutter spot of non-dishware related items. But I could clean it out, and display (I actually DO like the pattern) and then use for special occasions (thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter).
I don't trust my family with using it regularly, unfortunately. In a pottery class in college I made a set of matched porceleian bowls (the teacher said they were my best work). I stored them for a long time. When I felt we were settled we started using them. I think there is only 1 unbroken bowl left :o . We are not gentle on stuff (hence Corelle dishware!).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be really nice to keep it and enjoy it occasionally with your family, especially since you have a place to store it and you like the pattern. I googled images for the pattern/color and it really is classic and pretty! :appl:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Unless you have a local consignment shop that might take it, shipping would likely be a hassle. We use our fine china on Holidays, so maybe keep it and use it for special occasions?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Part Gypsy, The pattern you have is beautiful. I wish I knew someone who would be interested.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems the newer generations do not want or use fine china. Sales are off and kids think they are going to inherit a set someday. I have seen beautiful sets sell at auction for a fraction of their worth. I inherited my mother's and love it so much i am in fear of breakage and NEVER have used it. Like another poster said, my family would not appreciate it. Due to the gold , It can not be put in the dishwasher so after a fancy party I have to handwash-ugh. If you have the room keep it and use it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use fine china everyday. It's stronger than any other type of dishware.

In my experience the issue with 'Fine China" is people think it has to be for special occassions, and they do not want to deal with the bother of storing something they will only use a couple times a year. And I agree... that's silly.

But the solution is not to stop buying fine china. It's to use it more.

The pattern is very busy if this is the one it is.

Your best bet to sell it on ebay is to take some artistic shots with some plain white china pieces. White tablecloth and nice dark blue napkins and gold napkin rings. A do some nice flowers. If you take some time to photograph is really well... you will get a LOT more money.

If you don't have plain white china go to Home Goods buy some. Photograph with it, then return it. You can get affordable plain white table cloth at World Imports and they have blue napkins too. Gold napkin rings are easy DIY with some spray paint and a trip to Mic heals.

The second picture below is white I mean by mixing it with white china. I wouldn't do the patterned table cloth.

But I would do a nice place setting picture that really shows off the potential of the pattern.

Table Glamour shots.

il_171.jpg

accent-dishes-stonegableblog.jpg

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Do you have an upscale consignment shop near you? We have several upscale consignment places that take full sets or nearly full sets of china and consign. I think they do pretty well with turnover. I bought my china set from a divorced friend for a fraction maybe 8 years ago..and then I added to it over the years through ebay & replacements.com, but I think if I were to resell it a upscale consignment would be the way to go.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The amount you can make in selling china is disappointing, usually. It does not do well in the 2nd-hand market. I have a service for 12 of Noritake Antique Gold that my uncle bought in Japan at the end of WWII. It is fine porcelain with a raised-pattern edge of 22 kt gold -- in the 80s I looked at buying a few bread plates in Tokyo & they were WAY expensive. Since I also have my mother's Wedgewood, I investigated selling my uncle's a few months ago. The replacement places sold dinner plates for less than $5! They would've probably paid me about $1.75 each. Not worth the shipping or trouble.

I guess good china has gone the way of sterling flatware; few want it. Too bad!

--- Laurie

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, that is a great idea, "staging" for selling. I do think the blue and white china is classic and will never go out of style.

It's not my china, but my mother's. She is looking to downsize in the next year. She earlier asked me if I would take them, and at the time I said no because we use Corelle. Now I wish I said yes. I would be willing to commit to using it for some occasions but not as regular use (my family I believe is the reason for the meme "this is why we can't have nice things!").
I do have fond memories of using it (well good memories but also memories of having to hand wash it and also hand polish the silverware on those occasions). It was the great grandmother's china, the grandmother my mother was very close to and I was named after so it would be good to keep in family...

I will let her know that I will make room in our hutch for them, and then she can decide what she feels comfortable doing. I think she is holding onto them and some other things thinking she can get money for them in a pinch. But I don't think she realizes she will probably get a fraction of what she thinks they are worth.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Well put, PG -- sad to say, she's probably in for a disappointment. When something has been in the family for 3 generations already -- you would be 4 -- it's very worth keeping, for the next generation if not yourself. They may really be glad to have something that old & connected with their ancestors. Haven't you ever read or seen on tv something about an item that has been in a family for 200 or 300 years -- and thought, "how cool that would be!"? I have. Not every generation is nuts about whatever it is, but they keep it anyway and I think the connection is just great. Besides, if this china brings you warm & fuzzy happy memories, it's good karma to have around!

--- Laurie

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally get it. A lot of people have inflated ideas of the values for the stuff they own. I agree that Blue and White is classic. And it is much more flexible than people think. Coral is a lovely accent for it, FYI. I think mixing some white pieces into it and dressing the table right and putting some flowers, accents, etc. accomplishes a lot to catch people's interests and imaginations.

My mother has unused Lennox Autumn dinnerware which I honestly can't stand. I'm sure I'll inherit it. And I'll probably sell it if I do. Fussy, fussy pattern.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous pattern! I do encourage you to keep it! I have my own formal china and also my mother's and rarely use either, but on rare occasions I do. I actually have several sets of china and that is pretty crazy as seldom as I use it. I also have 14 place settings of sterling flatware. The funny thing is, it is my turn to have my husband's family here for Thanksgiving, and due to the number of people, I was thinking of using high quality disposable plastic plates! The last time I had a big family dinner it was SO much work pre-washing all the dishes and crystal and flatware since it all had been collecting dust, and then I had to do it all at the end, too! But I have had a couple of occasions to use just the salad plates for showers, etc.

Corelle IS pretty wonderful! :lol:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for all your comments. It's funny after commenting on here, made me realize that I would like to keep in family. The ball is in her court. Hopefully when she has to downsize we will keep in family.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results