shape
carat
color
clarity

How to keep neighborhood dog from pooping on our property

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I live in Chicago in a small condo building that has a fence surrounding the property. Outside of the front fence there is a sidewalk between a patch of grass that goes along the length of the sidewalk and the street. Someone in my neighborhood has been allowing their dog to poop all over the grass and the sidewalk for months now and it is getting out of control, especially right outside of our building, and most recently right in front of our mailboxes. We have to be very careful when walking to our cars because there are land mines everywhere, despite the signs from the city that state the law regarding picking up dog poop. It's a big dog, too, because the piles are huge. No one in my building has been able to catch the culprit, so I'm assuming that he/she lives on the street behind his or on the next block.

Is there any type of product that we can use to put on the sidewalk and grass that will deter this dog from pooping on it? We are so frustrated that we are even considering paying for and installing a bag station with free blue bags and a depository to put them in that we would dispose of ourselves. My concern is that we will spend money on this and this person will not even use them, because they obviously have no respect for our property or manners, as far as I'm concerned. I think they honestly don't want to pick up the poop, regardless if we supply them with the bags or not.

If I ever do manage to see who it is that is doing this I will pick up all the poop myself and deposit it on their lawn. :angryfire:

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: How to keep neighborhood dog from pooping on our propert

I find a liberal sprinkling of curry / mustard / chilli powder works best. Won't hurt the dog but they dislike the intense smell. Stops digging too!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

HotPozzum|1426806359|3849787 said:
I find a liberal sprinkling of curry / mustard / chilli powder works best. Won't hurt the dog but they dislike the intense smell. Stops digging too!

Wouldn't that get blown away with wind or washed away with rain? And I'm thinking it would be pretty obvious on the sidewalk...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Any chance someone in the neighborhood or block has a security camera so you can figure out who the culprit is? I mean the owner needs to be disciplined and I feel sorry for the poor dog. It is against the law isn't it to allow one's dog to go on private property so I would try finding out who the offending (and offensive) neighbor is and speak to them and then if nothing changes speak to the police.

I am sorry you are dealing with this Lil Misfit. There are some people who give animals (and kids too for that matter) a bad name yanno? :nono:
When I see a small child misbehaving it is always the parents fault. Some people don't deserve the privilege to have animals or children.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Lil Misfit:

This kind of thing is really irritating and unsanitary, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

This is a huge problem here in the 'burbs of AZ and everywhere else I've lived. We have neighbors who have put signs up in their yard because of the piles of "rhino poop" that appeared in their yard. We have had lots of poop in our yards too.

But its not a *dog* problem its rude nasty PEOPLE who 'do' this.

The quickest way to stop this (I have the IRL experience as the confronter) is to confront the person who owns or walks that dog to the spot where he is pooping by your condo building.

As a dog owner, I KNOW for sure that when I walk my dog, he or she WILL POOP. So if you see a dog walker who is not carrying bags to pick up the poop with, there is your person who needs to be talked to (assuming they take the bag home for disposal)..

Please don't do things that might punish the dog---whatever you scatter on the ground will wind up on their paws and then in their stomach. Punish the OWNER, call them out for being the nasty unsanitary neighbors that they are.

If you have to, take their pics, notably of them leaving the poop there), and take pics of the poop piles. If you need them for the police, you will have them. Most of these poop terrorists stop when you actually take the time to go face to face with them over the steaming pile of poop.

Because you don't know who this person/people is/are, have another adult from your condo building with you---its harder to lie in front of two people and you'll probably get a clean commitment faster if you have someone else with you. It shouldn't be just you. You want to be safe about this. Maybe you could recon from a good vantage point first????

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

azstonie|1426810277|3849809 said:
Hi Lil Misfit:

This kind of thing is really irritating and unsanitary, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

This is a huge problem here in the 'burbs of AZ and everywhere else I've lived. We have neighbors who have put signs up in their yard because of the piles of "rhino poop" that appeared in their yard. We have had lots of poop in our yards too.

But its not a *dog* problem its rude nasty PEOPLE who 'do' this.

The quickest way to stop this (I have the IRL experience as the confronter) is to confront the person who owns or walks that dog to the spot where he is pooping by your condo building.

As a dog owner, I KNOW for sure that when I walk my dog, he or she WILL POOP. So if you see a dog walker who is not carrying bags to pick up the poop with, there is your person who needs to be talked to (assuming they take the bag home for disposal)..

Please don't do things that might punish the dog---whatever you scatter on the ground will wind up on their paws and then in their stomach. Punish the OWNER, call them out for being the nasty unsanitary neighbors that they are.

If you have to, take their pics, notably of them leaving the poop there), and take pics of the poop piles. If you need them for the police, you will have them. Most of these poop terrorists stop when you actually take the time to go face to face with them over the steaming pile of poop.

Because you don't know who this person/people is/are, have another adult from your condo building with you---its harder to lie in front of two people and you'll probably get a clean commitment faster if you have someone else with you. It shouldn't be just you. You want to be safe about this. Maybe you could recon from a good vantage point first????

I agree that this would be the best way to handle this, but unfortunately, I, nor has anyone else in my building, actually seen this person committing this act. Staking them out is something I could do only if I didn't have a full time time or a life. LOL I actually have to look out and down from my windows, behind my couch, to see the sidewalk, and spending hours of my day doing that is just not feasible.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

azstonie|1426810277|3849809 said:

Sorry you're dealing with this, Lil Misfit, that sucks. In my community this happens too and sometimes the smell is so strong. It sucks.

I agree with what azstonie said - it's my understanding that (at least for cats) if that gets on their paws they will eventually rub their eyes with them and at best it can be painful, at worst, it is so painful that they will scratch their eyes so hard they will hurt themselves.
I am not sure what the effect is on dogs - but definitely anything spicy can't be good.

I hope you're able to catch whoever's doing this.

Not that I think this would work - becuase if they already have such disrespect not to care...but...just in case: have you considered leaving a big sign (or 2) on your lawn?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd see if anyone has a trail camera you could set up somewhere that nobody could get to it to steal it. It would take pictures every time a person/dog walked an area ahead of it. Otherwise, unless you know who specifically is letting their dog poop on your yard I'm not sure what else to do. Maybe make up a BIG sign "HEY YOU QUIT LETTING YOUR DOG SHIT ON MY YARD *******". or some such. We had that happen too, but here, we can watch out the window, or listen for barking, and it turned out to be the neighbor across the street letting his dog run loose. We had specifically planted super thorny bushes around our property but the dang dog was coming up our driveway and going around--and he was a big lab so he could just jump over them anyway. JD got the spade out and made a few trips back and forth, setting everything on the guys front step, and then rang the door bell and informed him he wouldn't be nearly so nice about it next time the dog came onto our property.

I hope you can figure out who is doing it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree ask the other people in your building if anyone has a gopro or a camera they would be willing to set up to see if you can catch the person. You can also buy dog off sprays and pellets that dogs hate that do not harm dogs (citrus ones come to mind) if they get it on their paws which they don't like the smell off to encourage the dog to poop somewhere else.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Is there someone who owns/manages the condo that could deal with it? Is there any sort of person who deals with neighborhood relations, covenants, or maybe even maintenance, etc.?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

packrat|1426821783|3849873 said:
I'd see if anyone has a trail camera you could set up somewhere that nobody could get to it to steal it. It would take pictures every time a person/dog walked an area ahead of it. Otherwise, unless you know who specifically is letting their dog poop on your yard I'm not sure what else to do. Maybe make up a BIG sign "HEY YOU QUIT LETTING YOUR DOG SHIT ON MY YARD *******". or some such. We had that happen too, but here, we can watch out the window, or listen for barking, and it turned out to be the neighbor across the street letting his dog run loose. We had specifically planted super thorny bushes around our property but the dang dog was coming up our driveway and going around--and he was a big lab so he could just jump over them anyway. JD got the spade out and made a few trips back and forth, setting everything on the guys front step, and then rang the door bell and informed him he wouldn't be nearly so nice about it next time the dog came onto our property.

A sign is one thing (and might actually be effective), but I wouldn't include any profanity, etc. Things if that nature simply perpetuate the negativity and can often times make things worse by escalating the drama.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I was trying to be funny!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Misfit,

I know first hand how annoying this can be. Unless you can catch this dog owner in the act I don't know if anything will stop him. He is an extremely rude person. There was a guy in my neighborhood who did this all the time. He lived across the street from a park and felt it was is right to not pick up after his dog. My nine year old niece walked up to him and asked him why he didn't pick up after his dog. She told him she would hold the dogs leash while he went to get a poop bag. Nothing like being shamed by a nine year old!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1426867498|3850057 said:

Haha I got it Packrat. :bigsmile:
We share not only a name but sense of humor lol.

Callie, yes being embarrassed by a 9 yo would do it. Now he (she?) needs to be caught in the act...

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Packrat,

I also knew you were joking and love your sense of humor!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1426821783|3849873 said:

Heehee, I got that too and I laffed especially at the capped language, I mean come on, you bring your dog ON PURPOSE to take a big steaming crap on someone else's property, you asking for it :angryfire:

I'm going to go grab a pic of the sign my neighbor posted on his yard fence, he has a corner lot so it gets lots of traffic from the dog walking bunch. Back shortly with pic....

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calliecake|1426868885|3850067 said:
Packrat,

I also knew you were joking and love your sense of humor!

I didn't know/couldn't tell if she was joking but I still laughed picturing Packrat doing this.

Hi Packrat :wavey:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just got back from Target run and picture taking.

This neighbor just got tired of picking up piles of, in his words: Baby rhino poop piles.

I have not heard of results. But it made Frank feel better and that is no small consolation :sun:

sam_1430.jpg

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock

You said there are signs from the City.

Could you not call in a by-law officer, or city inspector? If you made the complaint, they would have to come out and monitor the situation. The officer being around might deter the person too.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

packrat|1426867498|3850057 said:

I sort of figured you were, packrat :D - my post was really more about the old saying, "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" ;-)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

blackprophet|1426879145|3850219 said:

Could you not call in a by-law officer, or city inspector? If you made the complaint, they would have to come out and monitor the situation. The officer being around might deter the person too.

LOL, Blackprophet, please don't be offended by my comment but I live in Chicago too and trust me, it's hard enough to wrangle a cop to the scene when there's a mass murder let alone when there's a dog pooping on the lawn. Now if that dog was leaving its business outside the front door of a donut shop every officer in town would be all over it!

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock

I can really relate to this story as we had the same problem in our neighborhood. But ours is not a condo its a one family home and we share the driveway. My neighbors dog was constantly peeing on my fence in the yard and they would leave poop in the driveway for days in the summer heat. We tried speaking to them like normal people do, however all we got was a lot of promises and they continue to let their dog defacate on our property. So long story short, I spoke to my lawyer and he told me to take pictures of the mess and ring his doorbell, speak firmly and show him the pictures.
Then tell him if he continues to allow his dog to destroy our property with dog urine and poop, we will have no other choice but to see him in court. So I did just that, took the pics and showed it to him and told him this cannot continue, its my property and I should not have to live with this smell and looking at the mess everyday.

The very next day my husband calls me at work and tells me, guess what Mr. ______ walked his dog in the park this morning and then again in the afternoon. I was thrilled hearing the news! You know we all work hard and take pride in our homes and property, all I want to do is come home from work and not have to smell the poop and urine on my property when I don't even own a dog. This was a very stressful time for us and I almost thought of moving. Thank goodness the pics worked and I am grateful he continues to walk the dog in the park and hopefully he picks it up.
And by the way, the neighbor stopped speaking to us since this all happened.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Madison2|1426891413|3850345 said:
I can really relate to this story as we had the same problem in our neighborhood. But ours is not a condo its a one family home and we share the driveway. My neighbors dog was constantly peeing on my fence in the yard and they would leave poop in the driveway for days in the summer heat. We tried speaking to them like normal people do, however all we got was a lot of promises and they continue to let their dog defacate on our property. So long story short, I spoke to my lawyer and he told me to take pictures of the mess and ring his doorbell, speak firmly and show him the pictures.
Then tell him if he continues to allow his dog to destroy our property with dog urine and poop, we will have no other choice but to see him in court. So I did just that, took the pics and showed it to him and told him this cannot continue, its my property and I should not have to live with this smell and looking at the mess everyday.

The very next day my husband calls me at work and tells me, guess what Mr. ______ walked his dog in the park this morning and then again in the afternoon. I was thrilled hearing the news! You know we all work hard and take pride in our homes and property, all I want to do is come home from work and not have to smell the poop and urine on my property when I don't even own a dog. This was a very stressful time for us and I almost thought of moving. Thank goodness the pics worked and I am grateful he continues to walk the dog in the park and hopefully he picks it up.
And by the way, the neighbor stopped speaking to us since this all happened.

So glad it worked out for you. It was your best course of action. I bet the dog prefers it too. More walking and exercise and healthier for him!
And btw that was just an added bonus that he no longer talks to you IMO. Good fences really do make for good neighbors in many cases.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The neighbor not speaking to you now, that was the unexpected bonus in this, right? :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee*Jay|1426881696|3850253 said:

LOL, Blackprophet, please don't be offended by my comment but I live in Chicago too and trust me, it's hard enough to wrangle a cop to the scene when there's a mass murder let alone when there's a dog pooping on the lawn. Now if that dog was leaving its business outside the front door of a donut shop every officer in town would be all over it!

Hahaha DeeJay, I love you. You are funny, smart, beautiful and you speak the truth. LOL and same here in NYC. Very doubtful we could get a police officer for anything other than a major crime (and that's if we are lucky!) but of course that is probably due to all the "wise" (NOT) budget cuts. :nono:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

When I lived in Juneau we had BEAR poop in our yard! Think frisbee sized with clearly recognizable chunks in it.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

Dee*Jay|1426881696|3850253 said:

Ha ha! So true. I can't even get the police to come when I call about the brass band next door having practice at 11:30pm on a Tuesday night! :lol: :lol: They're definitely not going to come out for dog poop.

And, there are signs put up by the city that say to clean up after your dog because dog waste attracts rats and that there's a fine if you don't. This person does not care.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

Some people have no shame. I used to post signs to not let dogs poop but they would STILL let them. It's those early morning risers that would do it in my area. I'd try to find a sign that said there were chemicals in the lawn that are poisonous to dogs or something.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

azstonie|1426894096|3850376 said:
When I lived in Juneau we had BEAR poop in our yard! Think frisbee sized with clearly recognizable chunks in it.

Ha! I can imagine--I grew up on a farm and they don't call them "cow pies" for nothing...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results