shape
carat
color
clarity

How to find a reputable pawnshop with good selection?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Figured SOMEONE on here would know. Is it better to go to more exclusive addresses? Bigger cities? How do you find them? Just idle curiousity... but my inquiring mind wants to know. Only one I know of has icky tacky things... of course that probably cause it's located in central Old Folks County.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i "vibe" them out. sometimes the owner is so rude. sometimes the owner is very nice and helpful. sometimes the price is rediculous. someimes its absolute junk. each one has a different flavor.

it is hit or miss - you never know what you are going to find. sometimes you have to ask the owner if they have any nicer pieces to show. (they hold back for diamond buyers.) have a loupe.

sometimes it is skanky. keep your wits about you and watch who is there and who comes in. But I have never felt unsafe -- AND don''t be stupid.

"What''s your best price for this?" usually it is half of what''s on the tag. if you come back a second time for a second look they will drop it more.

my two favorites
i know i will always find something in:
the one that is run by the ladies. their prices are reasonable and they have nice, non skanky things.
the one by the krispy kreme. in a rich neighborhood.
the one on fry road always has a nice selection. middle class neighborhood.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
visit them all and dont forget to check the coin and stamp shops.
My favorite jewelery resale place is a coin and stamp shop.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2006 11:35:19 PM
Author: strmrdr
visit them all and dont forget to check the coin and stamp shops.
My favorite jewelery resale place is a coin and stamp shop.
That is sooooo true! And, you always have to ask for what you are looking for. If you develop a relationship, they will hold stuff back for you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay... WOW... I''m feeling armed and dangerous.

FI is going to have a heart attack...lol.

Great information. Really great... I had no idea about so many things you all mentioned. The Krispy Creme thing is a riot and the stamp and coin things NEVER would have occurred to me. And LadyK thanks for the haggling tips, my favorite part!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
suggest you read antoinette matlin''s and renee newman''s diamond ring buying guides before starting out.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will definitely do that because I am hoping for some art deco pieces and older cut diamonds, eventually. But... are there any colored stone buying guides? While I''d be thrilled with some diamond finds... what I really would like to find are some colored gems. I have an heirloom set of rubies set with diamonds from my grandmother set in 22K gold that I eventually (in a year or so) want to get reset (earrings, ring, pendant) but I want to be able to pick at other pieces with rubies (if possible) for the re-design of those... and if I find one nice sapphire, that would be awesome too. Don''t know how realistic that is.

I also don''t know if I''m going to start anytime soon. Doubt it as the job search is in full swing and I''ve completed only two states out of the fifty I will be applying to. I''ve got my nose to the grind stone on that... and my jewelry fund is devoted to my e-ring reset.

I will pick those books up ASAP however, as reading doesn''t cost a thing... and I can use the diversion.
9.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
yes same authors have books on colored gems and pearls as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome! You are a gem LadyK! Thanks so much for all the advice!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results