shape
carat
color
clarity

How tightly do you wear your rings?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seem like my ring finger will fit a size 9.25-10. I will most likely order a tension setting online but don't know what size to order? 9.25? 9.5? 9.75? 10?
Idunno1.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty loose. Your ring will be top heavy with your super large Octavia, won't it? I won't go too large, it'll spin around! But if the band is wide it may strangle your finger in the summer. I'd go somewhere in the middle.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go to a few jewelry stores and try on rings of various sizes from various vendors.
Sometimes I wonder whether rings are like clothing sizes in that all manufacturers' size 34 are not the same.

Be sure to only try on rings with a width that is similar to the tension setting you're getting, because a person might prefer, say, a size 9 for a 1mm ring but a size 9.25 or 9.5 in a 7mm ring.

Also consider whether your weight might change in the future.

Tension settings can't be resized to down to a smaller size.
Sometimes they can be made a bit larger but only a quarter or half size IIRC what Gelin Abaci told me.
For this reason be sure to discuss the topic of size with the maker of your tension setting.

Any idea when your baby will be delivered? :naughty:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1405243505|3712405 said:
Pretty loose. Your ring will be top heavy with your super large Octavia, won't it? I won't go too large, it'll spin around! But if the band is wide it may strangle your finger in the summer. I'd go somewhere in the middle.

Actually I think diamond is lighter than metal for equal volume.
This is definitely true of platinum and gold, and I'd guess also with the much-lighter titanium or cobalt chrome.

I think all rings tend to spin around a bit, though a tighter one will spin less than a loose one.
I think the spinning has nothing to do with the diamond being heavier or lighter than the metal.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi DF. You must be getting so excited with the anticipation!

I think it is personal preference as long as it is not a safety issue. That is, don't get it so loose that it will slide down your knuckle in the cooler weather. And it does vary between manufacturers I think. I prefer looser as I am not comfortable if it fits snugly and I also don't like seeing skin squeezed around the ring (is that called sausage finger?).

Of course the width of the ring plays into what size will be best for you. Wider widths of the same size will fit more snugly. Find the width you are getting and try on many different sizes and hopefully that will guide you in the right direction. Good luck and oh how exciting...you will soon have that baby on your finger! :appl:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF I had a tension set ring and it was very thick in order to be strong enough to handle the tension. I bought it in my regular size and I think if it were bigger it would have spun on my finger. It was this ring and it was very heavy.

tension_ring.png

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring finger fits 6.25 to 7.25, depending on the ring - for me, width and whether it is comfort-fit determines the size - over 4mm plus comfort-fit and I go with 7.25mm; 2mm and thinner, non-comfort-fit, I go with 6.25. I do prefer a slightly-loose fit over a too-snug fit.

Try to find a silver band which has the same width as the tension ring you are planning to purchase - and wear it a couple of days, all day long - if it is the right size, send it along with your diamond and ask them to match the size.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring size is determined by my knuckles... which means that sometimes my rings will fit a little loose. I have a large fairly heavy and unbalance (assymetrical) ring that was a bit loose and tended to spin when I first bought it, so I had some sizing bumps put in and wore it that way for years. The fleshy part of that finger seems to have caught up with knuckles though, and a few years ago I had the sizing bumps removed and I can now wear the ring without problem. Of course this was a gold ring... I'm not sure if adding and removing bits is as easy with exotic metals.

Are you sure you want to go online to set that lovely stone? Skalet Family Jewelers in Old Town carries exotic metals and I'm sure they could make you the perfect setting for your Octavia. (They some beautiful pieces that they made in-house, and they also fabricate their own Mokume Gane if you're interested in going in that direction.)

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A larger stone will also require a larger setting, so the ring ends up top heavy and more likely to spin. Tension settings require solid metal (no piercings or thinner metal) and, so, can get quite top heavy.

Yes, there can be size variation between different makers and even between tools at the same maker. There are some precision sizing systems (matched ring sizers and ring mandrel) and they require good care. Finger sizes are also not consistent. Water retention, salt intake, cold, etc, all contribute to rings shrinking or dilating. I have summer rings and winter rings since my fingers really shrink in the cold and dilate in the heat. Very annoying.

Can you get an Euro shank? That will solve the spinning problem.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I wear rings either to fit perfectly or on the tight side. I can't stand the feeling of loose or spinning rings. I even bother to have rings sized 1/4 of a size down to get it perfect.

Tension set rings being a different animal - you need to be as sure as possible. Try on rings of the identical width and heft of the style you want to try to pin down your ideal size.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1405244194|3712412 said:
Kenny
your guess is as good as mine. ..
Idunno1.gif
everything I know is on my Octavia thread, hope Yoram will post some new pics soon.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1405267931|3712530 said:
Try to find a silver band which has the same width as the tension ring you are planning to purchase - and wear it a couple of days, all day long - if it is the right size, send it along with your diamond and ask them to match the size.

Excellent idea, Marymm.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1405276332|3712572 said:
Kenny
your guess is as good as mine. ..
Idunno1.gif
everything I know is on my Octavia thread,

I guess that right now it's on that FedEx truck pulling up to your house.
Look out your window.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1405269096|3712536 said:
Are you sure you want to go online to set that lovely stone? Skalet Family Jewelers in Old Town carries exotic metals and I'm sure they could make you the perfect setting for your Octavia. (They some beautiful pieces that they made in-house, and they also fabricate their own Mokume Gane if you're interested in going in that direction.)
VR, thanks for the information. I'll drop in to see if they have any setting that I like. I was at the mall yesterday trying on some 8mm rings sizes b/t 9.25-10. I'm thinking I will need a 7.5mm ring for my Octavia.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arthritis and weight gain coupled with change in seasons make my ring size fluctuate .25-.50.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, width of the setting is key and also you are male and probably don't have to deal with the same hormonal fluctuations as females. Also you live in CA, I believe, so you don't have to worry about frozen hands during winters, etc. your ring size should stay within a quarter size throughout the year/depending on your health.

Ok, mayyyyyyybeeee you'll have to get your ring re-sized at some point, but is that a huge deal? Probably not (even if it's in a tension setting.)

Order the size you think is appropriate.

Buttttt.....if you lose/gain weight....omg. This is turning into a huge ordeal!!! :-o

ETA: it won't matter to you how tightly I wear my rings because I've been through a pregnancy/had a baby, ya know? Better to ask this Q over in RT and title it "Men, how do you find the right ring size" or something.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1405278151|3712590 said:
VR, thanks for the information. I'll drop in to see if they have any setting that I like. I was at the mall yesterday trying on some 8mm rings sizes b/t 9.25-10. I'm thinking I will need a 7.5mm ring for my Octavia.

DF, you are making me nervous just reading your original post.
You spend big bucks on your Octavia, then want to buy a tension setting online?
As others have said, tension settings cannot be sized down, so you better get it right the first time.
Personally I think VRB's suggestion is a good one. I have visited that jeweler when visiting Old-Sacramento
and the owner is a GG and the store is an AGS store. They have beautiful things there and the owner is
very knowelegable. I just wouldn't chance it with such a valuable stone. Sometimes it is nice to see things
in person and try various mountings on. Just go early in the morning as it can get very HOT in your town ... LOL

But your choice of course.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be sure to only try on rings with a width that is similar to the tension setting you're getting, because a person might prefer, say, a size 9 for a 1mm ring but a size 9.25 or 9.5 in a 7mm ring.
I like the simple style of this tension setting. I'm thinking about 7.5mm wide?.. :read: of course I can't place an order until I have the exact measurement of the stone.

http://www.boonerings.com/stone-settings/princess.htm

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I think you should just put that Octavia in an earring or pendant. Then we don't have to worry about all this ring nonsense. :naughty:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1405278686|3712595 said:
Dancing Fire|1405278151|3712590 said:

DF, you are making me nervous just reading your original post.
You spend big bucks on your Octavia, then want to buy a tension setting online?
As others have said, tension settings cannot be sized down, so you better get it right the first time.
Personally I think VRB's suggestion is a good one. I have visited that jeweler when visiting Old-Sacramento
and the owner is a GG and the store is an AGS store. They have beautiful things there and the owner is
very knowelegable. I just wouldn't chance it with such a valuable stone. Sometimes it is nice to see things
in person and try various mountings on. Just go early in the morning as it can get very HOT in your town ... LOL

But your choice of course.
I will pay them a visit, but I don't have 5k to spent on a PT setting... ;(

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason I would not consider that design is the diamond is not as secure.
The 'tracks' that hold the girdle are just open to the edge of the ring.
If you push the diamond with enough force the diamond slides back and forth and worst case it could slide out.

No joke.
I'm speaking from experience.
My former asscher was in such a Boonering design.
It was alarming to look down and see the diamond was no longer centered and had slid over. :-o

The setting our Octavias are in, Boonerings Sidegrooves, holds the diamond securely.

screen_shot_2014-07-13_at_12.png

screen_shot_2014-07-13_at_0.png

screen_shot_2014-07-13_at_1.png

screen_shot_2014-07-13_at_2.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny
Thanks, It does make sense. I will talk to Bruce about it and see what he thinks.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1405280821|3712612 said:
Kenny
Thanks, It does make sense. I will talk to Bruce about it and see what he thinks.

If you really want that design maybe Bruce can cut a channel for the stone that does not reach the edge of the ring so the diamond can't slide around and possibly pop out.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1405281114|3712615 said:
Kenny

If you really want that design maybe Bruce can cut a channel for the stone that does not reach the edge of the ring so the diamond can't slide around and possibly pop out.
I'm sure he can do anything since it will be custom made. I will speak to him about the security issue. In the meantime I'll see what our local jewelers have to offer. There is a Gelin Abaci vendor near by.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear mine pretty loose. A size 4.5 fits comfortably over my knuckle with no resistance. If I wanted to have something snug-fitting, I could do a size 4. Often I wear a size 5. So my finger circumference is like a 4ish, and I usually wear 4.5-5. BUT I have the knuckle-bigger-than-the-finger thing going on.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want it to be too snug b/c I will take off the ring before I go to bed every night.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like my rings a little bit loose. In the summer my fingers swell from the heat and I don't like them when they are tight.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain said:
A larger stone will also require a larger setting, so the ring ends up top heavy and more likely to spin. Tension settings require solid metal (no piercings or thinner metal) and, so, can get quite top heavy.

Yes, there can be size variation between different makers and even between tools at the same maker. There are some precision sizing systems (matched ring sizers and ring mandrel) and they require good care. Finger sizes are also not consistent. Water retention, salt intake, cold, etc, all contribute to rings shrinking or dilating. I have summer rings and winter rings since my fingers really shrink in the cold and dilate in the heat. Very annoying.

Can you get an Euro shank? That will solve the spinning problem.

I prefer my rings to fit a bit loose as well. I find my fingers are always a bit swollen early in the morning and again later in the evening. Therefore they are always a a bit looser during the day. I just need to be sure I can get it off easily morning and night. I also have the larger knuckle thing as well.

I have also experienced the mandrels being sized differently as Lady Disdain mentioned in her post above.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1405281114|3712615 said:
Kenny

Kenny, what do you mean?... :confused:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are pics of two titanium Boonerings with their diamonds removed.
In the first pic the ring on the right used to hold the generic asscher and is the ring posted above.

On the ring on the right look at the channel in the gap that the diamond's girdle fit into.
The channel goes all the way from one end of the ring to the other. :nono:
That's what's bad.
The diamond was free to slide back and forth.
With an unfortunate blow the diamond could be accidentally pushed out and lost.

The other ring on the left held a round diamond.
Notice how the cut out does not reach either side of the ring ... that's safer because the diamond can't move and what I'd want Bruce to do to hold an asscher.
If Bruce can only set an asscher in that channel that lets the diamond slide back and forth I'd get a different design like Bruce's Sidegrooves or a Gelin Abaci design.

DF, do these two pics help explain the problem or would other pics or drawings be needed?
I think it is very important you understand this for the security of your diamond.

screen_shot_2014-07-15_at_0.png

screen_shot_2014-07-15_at_2.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results