shape
carat
color
clarity

How old were you when you got engaged?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
As I read more and more posts on PS, I'm always a little surprised at how young some people are getting engaged. I was 26 when I got engaged, and I thought that was a little young. I was the first of my friends to become engaged (only two other couples are married in my group of friends). My cousin is getting married at 24, and I thought that was a bit young.

I'm not dogging on younger people getting engaged! It's just so interesting to read about different life experiences.

So, how old were you when you got engaged??

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Most people I know got engaged in their late 20s, wed by either their late 20s or early 30s.

I was first engaged at 22, with a four month engagement. That ended up in divorce. So, 2nd time around I wasn't engaged again until I was 30.

I suspect people tend to get engaged/married later on either coast and in metropolitan areas. None of my friends would have even started thinking about marriage until their careers were established. (Except for me and look at how my first marriage turned out!
Up_to_something.gif
)

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, interesting. I think I waited a long time to get engaged even though I think I am still pretty young.
12.gif
Let's see, I've known my husband since I was 18. We became engaged when I was 26, but then we married when I was 27. The second reception will take place when I am 28. I think we gave it a lot of time to figure out that we both were compatible/right for one another.
9.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was 18 the first time I married. Oy. But, I grew up in a ghetto and everyone tended to marry early for various reasons (there were no engagements) -- the top two being pregnancy which was a great impetus for popping the question and the other being that marriage afforded an escape from a horrific family life. Granted, sometimes one escaped from the frying pan into the fire.... My first marriage lasted 22 years. I've been with my SO for 7 years and finally said "yes" to his numerous proposals this past November. So, the short answer to the question is 48! Am I the oldest first-time-officially-engaged person on this board?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.gif
Mostly everyone I know has gotten engaged in mid to late 20's...but that may just be where I live.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
I was *secretly* engaged since 21. And now I'm officially engaged at 24!!
3.gif

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
I got engaged on the day before my 30th birthday (which is our "anniversary"). So, technically I was 29, but a mere 5 hours later I was 30. He proposed on our 8th anniversary - Our first date was the day before my 22nd birthday.
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Engaged at 27, married at 28. And this was the youngest out of my 7 siblings....

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I was engaged at 21 and got married a couple of weeks before I turned 22.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That was a different world, however! When I got engaged at 25 (just short of my 26th birthday) everyone else was getting married many years younger. Two of the friends with whom I grew up were married (pregnant) at 16 and 17. Better educated women with whom I went to college tended to be married by 22-24. When I hit 25 I *REALLY* worried I might never find a husband!

So my husband and I were 26 when we married, but that was almost 27 years ago. Comparing us to a young couple today is like comparing apples to oranges.

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
Engaged at 21, married at 22, the week after we both graduated from college. And we were in Silicon Valley at the time. The exception to the older in metro areas/college educated.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was 21 or 22 when we became engaged (I can't even remember for sure), but I've been with my husband since I was 17 and he was 18.

We became engaged early but waited four years before marrying. Never was a big deal to us to become officially married as we're just pretty casual about stuff like this and when we did decide to wed we ran off to Vegas and I wore a black dress for the ceremony
naughty.gif

Edited to add - I was 22 when we became engaged
9.gif
Just doubled checked the date on the ring paperwork.

Michelle

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Engaged unofficially at 26 without a ring, engaged officially with a ring just a few weeks after we turned 27 and will be married at 27 1/2

We started dating when we were 23.

Of all our close friends we are the only ones in a long-time committed relationship let alone close to marriage.

We have some acquaintances that have gotten married at age 25 on up.

Only two old friends from back home got married earlier at age 22 and 23 - but that was actually quite late in their culture/religion.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I was 23, 23 years ago. We got married shortly after my 24th birthday. In the day, I was an old maid. Most of my friends were already married. I got grief all the time about when I was going to settle down.
9.gif

aneelcon

Shiny_Rock
engaged at 25 (last march), started dating when I just turned 19, no date set for the wedding.
loopy.gif
. I have no idea when it will be.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gosh, was I really s'posed to remember that?
confused.gif
1.gif

I am disappointed in how unsentimental I appear to have become. Not because I no longer value knowing these things anymore, but because my memory is not serving me well lately. I think it I am suffering from MKS (Multiple Kid Syndrome) LOL. I noticed the more wrapped in their lives I am, the less I can pay attention to little details about my own. I swear I used to remember dates of dates, occasions and everything. Now, nothing there. No memory whatsoever.

But I'm thankful for the question as it has stretched my mind into a little mental exercise. I *think* I was engaged at 27. I *know* I was married at age 28.

Whew. That was rough.
loopy.gif

Mari

Rough_Rock
I got engaged at 28!!!!!!!!!!
appl.gif

Sorry, I still get a bit carried away
3.gif
, it is jsut still really weird (in a good way)to be engaged.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
First engagement to high school sweetheart at 18. Thank goodness we realized that was a mistake. Looking back, I know that marriage would have ended in either a divorce or a very stressful, unhappy marriage.

Shortly after that, I met Mr. Diamondlil, and were were engaged when I was 21 (he was 26). We'll celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary this June.
appl.gif

Funny, I was the last of my friends to get married even at 22, although half of them are now on their second time around -- very sad.
8.gif

Diamondlil

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Secretly engaged when I was 20, let parents know when I was 23, offically married the year I was turning 24. He's 3 years older than I am.
5.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I got engaged for the first time at 28. We lived together for several years after that but never got married (thank God). Met and got engaged to my soulmate at 36. Some things are definitely worth waiting for...
9.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Engaged at 27 (my fiance is exactly 2 years older- strange having the same birthday), will be married at 28.

Only 2 more unmarried friends left.

toleong

Rough_Rock
First of my friends to get engaged at 21. Married at 22, right out of college. None of my friends thought it would last and I was making a big mistake, although they didn't bother to tell me at the time.
rolleyes.gif
We are going on 7 years. BTW: Hubby is nine years my senior.

sammyman

Rough_Rock
I was 1 year old when I got engaged. I was 100 years old when I got married.

nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
I was 43 when I got engaged. She had been divored, her kids were just finishing college. Engagaement lasted 6 months. Married in January 97. At a bridal salon. It took 10 minutes and cost 75 bucks.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/6/2004 12:03:24 PM sammyman wrote:

I was 1 year old when I got engaged. I was 100 years old when I got married.

hahaha, funny. You should be a stand up comedian.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Engaged at 24, married a day before my 25th birthday. What a birthday present I got!
9.gif

babblingal

Shiny_Rock
We were engaged when I was 22 and my fiance' 24. Married when I was 23 and he was 25. At the time, almost 14 years ago, that was the *norm*.

I had known him for 10 years prior to getting married. Needed to establish that friendship!
appl.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock

We had 'dated' on and off for over 6 years before he finally broke down and asked.

win

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results