shape
carat
color
clarity

How often do you and your SO watch the same TV shows/films?

• Never

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Very seldom

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Seldom

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Often

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Very Often

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • Always

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Re: How often do you and your SO watch the same TV shows/fil

After we put the kids to bed we sit together and watch a show and enjoy the silence of no kids.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pretty much always. Sometimes when he is working out he will watch a movie/show that I wouldn't want to watch but the rest of the time if we are watching tv/movies we are watching together. I love the fact that he is so sweet to watch some of my sappy shows that I know he doesn't care for and occasionally I will watch some of the gory/violent shows for him that I don't like. Though I am on my computer at the same time as I cannot stand to actually watch the violent/bloody scenes. :knockout:

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock

Hardly ever. What usually happens is I get stirred up by something that happens in the news and yell for hi to come watch and he watches the story but goes back to his computer and that's it. I did try to get hm involved in the new Dallas {don't judge}, but he declined. He mainly watches sports. I don't.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I voted never.
We cannot stand each other's shows.

I watch ZERO broadcast TV, but on Netflix I love documentaries where you learn stuff, foreign-subtitled films to perhaps learn a bit about other very different cultures [not that all films from Hollywood teach the world what it's like to live in America :lol: ], artsy and avant-garde films, old classics from the 40s, Hitchcock films, and series like Downton Abbey or The Tudors. (Yes, I realize the last two were originally broadcasted.)

I find the Holocaust fascinating, as in how the HELL could that happen?, so I watch lots of films about that and WWII.

The Middle East conflict intrigues me (two groups claiming God gave them the same land) so I often watch subtitled films made in Israel and Arab countries.
Even when the films have nothing to do with the conflict it is so dominant that it creeps into most films from the region.

I consume media that improves my understanding and learn something new.
I'm a very very curious person.

My SO likes light, happy escapist things like America's Next Top Model, "Reality" TV, American Idol, Housewives of Wherever, Dancing with the Stars, and tabloid shows about stars.

He also likes Bollywood films (from India) with all the romance, dancing, bright happy colors and music.
He says to me, "Real life is heavy enough; why would you want to watch another documentary about the Holocaust?"

Fortunately our house has more than one room.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kenny, you sound like good friends of ours. He is obsessed with biographies of dictators and fascists, and she would rather watch happy, light rom coms.

I voted the one just above always because I love True Blood and DH doesn't watch it. But other than that we watch television together, and we almost always watch the same movies. (Well, before I was sick and pregnant, that is. Now I can't sleep at night so I stay up watching period pieces my husband would never be able to watch nightly.)

We share a love of watching science shows about the universe, Gordon Ramsay cooking shows, and The Bachelor/Bachelorette! :cheeky: I'll put crappy reality TV shows on in the background while I'm doing laundry and other housework, so DH doesn't watch those.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

We watch about 90% of the same stuff. The other 10% is pretty different...I'll watch Dance Moms and Teen Mom and 16 & Pregnant type shows when he's at work. He'll watch the Military Channel or anything about weapons when I'm not around. But when we are both there, we watch tv together. Same with movies. Yesterday he insisted on watching some show on guns, but then promptly fell asleep...so I turned it back to what I had been watching before (Final Offer). Then he woke up and said "why did you change the channel?"

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I forgot to share that I watch Hoarders whenever I need motivation to deep clean the house. Best motivation ever. Whenever I see that DH has recorded a show on the DVR I know that he's trying to tell me something . . . he's definitely the better housekeeper in the family.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

We watch 'shows' together, or movies. He watches SportsCenter by himself.

Or, we'll both hang out in the den - one on the computer and one watching tv.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1340643924|3223301 said:
I voted never.
We cannot stand each other's shows.

I watch ZERO broadcast TV, but on Netflix I love documentaries where you learn stuff, foreign-subtitled films to perhaps learn a bit about other very different cultures [not that all films from Hollywood teach the world what it's like to live in America :lol: ], artsy and avant-garde films, old classics from the 40s, Hitchcock films, and series like Downton Abbey or The Tudors. (Yes, I realize the last two were originally broadcasted.)

I find the Holocaust fascinating, as in how the HELL could that happen?, so I watch lots of films about that and WWII.

The Middle East conflict intrigues me (two groups claiming God gave them the same land) so I often watch subtitled films made in Israel and Arab countries.
Even when the films have nothing to do with the conflict it is so dominant that it creeps into most films from the region.

I consume media that improves my understanding and learn something new.
I'm a very very curious person.

My SO likes light, happy escapist things like America's Next Top Model, "Reality" TV, American Idol, Housewives of Wherever, Dancing with the Stars, and tabloid shows about stars.

He also likes Bollywood films (from India) with all the romance, dancing, bright happy colors and music.
He says to me, "Real life is heavy enough; why would you want to watch another documentary about the Holocaust?"

Fortunately our house has more than one room.

Kenny, I'm so much more like you than I am like your SO. :bigsmile: ;)) Reality tv is, for the most part, crap. I have watched it, I've liked only a miniscule amount of it. A little goes a long way. But Downton Abbey . . . that's entertainment! And nothing beats Hitchcock for pure enjoyment. Hitch is like a great book you pick up now and then to reread. Which Hitchcock movie is your favorite?

Ravenne

Rough_Rock

We have similar taste in TV and movies. We're both sci-fi fans, so our combined movie collections are... heavily influenced in that direction. We both love action films (on our first date, he took me to see Taken. My choice. He was thrilled. LOL).

Neither of us care for reality TV. I have a few shows I enjoy (Dancing with the stars is one, but I'm big on Ballroom. I never know who the dancers are), but I just watch them whenever he's not around or otherwise distracted. I don't feel the need to keep up with them, so it's not a big deal.

He'll watch the occasional chick flick with me and I endure his cult classics (most of them I like, but there are some that I'm twitching with impatience the whole way through), but we tend to turn each other onto our favorites. I got him liking Stargate SG-1 and Farscape, he got me to like Southpark and Archer. I'm still working on getting him to watch X-Files willingly. I'm starting him out on the easy ones instead of going chronologically... Lol.

But for the most part, when the TV's on, we're both in complete approval.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HollyS|1340648467|3223342 said:
Which Hitchcock movie is your favorite?

Oh Gosh! That's like asking which was your favorite bowl of ice cream. :cheeky:
The Hitchcock films Rear Window, North by Northwest and Psycho are all way up there.

I also love the films of David Lean, Lawrence of Arabia, Dr. Zhivago, Bridge on the River Kwai, A Passage to India.

Next I love Merchant Ivory films, The Remains of the Day, Howard's End, A Room with a View.

Films of that German director Werner Fassbinder are fascinating and different, and of course let's not forget the Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar, with all his primary colors.
My favorite from Almodóvar was, "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown".

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

This is kind of a contentious topic in my household. :lol: DH and I have a few shows that we must watch TOGETHER, and if I watch an episode before/without him, he is upset (I think unduly so, but I grant him this one indulgence). It doesn't matter if I am fine with re-watching it, he wants to watch it the first time *together.* We don't have live television, but we have Hulu Plus so we stream shows the day after they air on network. I cannot pre-watch Castle or New Girl or this past season of Sherlock on PBS, and when we get discs from Netflix for How I Met Your Mother and the Big Bang Theory, same deal. I watch a lot of mysteries and movies without DH, though, and he is free to watch as much sci-fi as he wants without me, but he's not a big television/movie watcher unless we are together.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Haven|1340647574|3223332 said:
I forgot to share that I watch Hoarders whenever I need motivation to deep clean the house. Best motivation ever. Whenever I see that DH has recorded a show on the DVR I know that he's trying to tell me something . . . he's definitely the better housekeeper in the family.

OMG, I am not allowed to watch Hoarders when DH is home, even if he's not watching it with me. It brings up a lot of family issues for him, since his mom is a borderline hoarder. I respect this totally, as some of those episodes are super painful for me to watch, and I am generally a 'throw it all away unless it's a legal document' kind of person.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I voted sometimes. He likes news and history. I like HBO. I watch what he wants to watch most of the time and try not to make him suffer through Game of Thrones, True Blood or Girls. ;)) We do watch movies together, and Breaking Bad. He'd really rather not see The Walking Dead either. Basically he hates blood and gore and I love it.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Yes! Rear Window! I can't decide if that is my fav or North by Northwest. Equally good movies. I don't think Grace Kelly has ever been more beautiful, or Eva Marie Saint more glamorous.

Have you seen "Rope"? I saw it for the first time just a few years ago. Jimmy Stewart is in this one, too. It takes place entirely on one set, as though it were meant to be a play.

Remains of the Day, Howard's End: yes to those, too! How can anyone not like Anthony Hopkins, though?

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We seldom watch the same shows, he goes to bed very early so I end up watching what I want and he watches what he wants, when he is watching TV I am usually working or on the computer.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HollyS|1340653156|3223410 said:
Have you seen "Rope"?
I saw it for the first time just a few years ago.
Jimmy Stewart is in this one, too.
It takes place entirely on one set, as though it were meant to be a play.

No.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Netflix has it, but not instantly streaming.
I have to wait for the DVD, which I moved to position one.
Poor me. ;( :lol:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Something to look forward to! ;))

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Kenny, I forgot that Notorious and Rebecca (1940s) were also Hitchcock films. I'm assuming you've seen both of those.

How about Shadow of a Doubt with Joseph Cotten? That's a really good one, if you haven't seen it.

We were just talking about Hitchcock movies, yesterday, with friends. . . specifically Rear Window. Great minds think alike. :cheeky:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I chose "sometimes". We usually pick a family movie on Friday, Saturday nights and watch as a family, or sometimes after the kids go to bed we watch an occasional movie or TV show together, we both like historical dramas....movies like The Patriot, Gliadiator, Schindler's List.

Occasionally, we'll watch stuff like game shows like Jeopardy, stand-up comedies.

I'd say 80% of the time he watches sports (which I'm not a fan of) and I watch Bravo, TLC, Food Network.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

We watch most shows and movies together, but we do have ones we watch on our own, too. I voted "very often."

We both like documentaries and shows like Homeland, MI:5, Grey's Anatomy, and Parenthood. I watch a few reality shows (Dogs in the City, for example), romantic comedies, and HGTV when I need something on in the background while doing other things. My husband watches stand up comedians and shows like Family Guy when I'm not around.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

Very rarely. He works long hours so he doesn't get to watch much TV to begin with. When he comes home for work, we'll just pick something to watch but we don't have any TV shows we both watch in common..

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HollyS|1340660079|3223484 said:
Kenny, I forgot that Notorious and Rebecca (1940s) were also Hitchcock films. I'm assuming you've seen both of those.

How about Shadow of a Doubt with Joseph Cotten? That's a really good one, if you haven't seen it.

We were just talking about Hitchcock movies, yesterday, with friends. . . specifically Rear Window. Great minds think alike. :cheeky:

My memory is poor.
I will look these up and make sure I see them, perhaps even if I've already seen them.

Thanks so much.
I love fine film making.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Zoe, you mentioned HGTV. That is our default channel. When we go out, we put that on for the dogs. I think it bores them into complacency. :praise:

onedrop

Ideal_Rock

Holly and Kenny: I absolutely LOVE Rear Window! I recently got the re-mastered anniversary DVD. It never gets old for me.

To answer the question at hand: I voted "sometimes." As far as TV, we both like crime-related reality shows, so we watch ID Discovery, Forensic Files, and The First 48 together. But I also love HGTV, a lot of HBO shoes, and Mad Men, which he doesn't love, although he does know about Don Draper because I watch the show while he's usually doing something else. He prefers CNN, and TruTv (for some crazy) reason, so much of the time we watch TV separately.

As for movies, DH sees a movie every week, and tends to frequent scary movies which I don't like. But we do try to find something that we both like to see at least once or twice a month.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I answered seldom - neither one of us watches much tv- I really don't enjoy it, I could probably live without a tv and my husband gets home fairly late and goes to bed early, so he'll usually just watch a news program for a bit.

On the weekends we'll sometimes watch a movie together, we have different tastes in movies but we try to find something that appeals to both of us. Sometimes we'll watch golf tournaments together too ( yes, I like to watch golf, don't judge me! :cheeky: )

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I voted always. We only really have one TV (well, technically two, but the second is a tiny one in the basement and we never spend time down there). So by default, we watch virtually all the same shows and movies. Luckily we have pretty similar tastes when it comes to TV shows. Or else DH is just nice and gives in. :cheeky: We both like to indulge in Master Chef, Bachelor/Bachelorette, Breaking Bad, Dancing with the Stars, Jeopardy, and Revenge. I love sports, so when DH wants to watch a game on TV, I am almost always interested in it too. We disagree more on movies (I hate sci-fi), but we still find ones that both of us can enjoy.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Yes, because we only have one tv and we have similar tastes. He loves films, I'm not that interested in them, but other than that, we agree. We watch mainly comedy (and the news, so we can have a good rant about politics).

Mostly though, we don't watch tv - I like to knit, sew, spin or make lumpy stuff out of gold and silver in the evenings, and you need to pay close attention to anything sharp or hot. DH reads to me if I'm doing craft stuff.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Jennifer W|1340745187|3224034 said:
Yes, because we only have one tv and we have similar tastes. He loves films, I'm not that interested in them, but other than that, we agree. We watch mainly comedy (and the news, so we can have a good rant about politics).

Mostly though, we don't watch tv - I like to knit, sew, spin or make lumpy stuff out of gold and silver in the evenings, and you need to pay close attention to anything sharp or hot. DH reads to me if I'm doing craft stuff.
That's a good point. We only have one television in the house, too. This was my one and only non-negotiable rule for the house: one TV and one TV only.

I love that your husband reads to you. I'm going to suggest this to my own husband! We read together every day, but he never reads to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results