shape
carat
color
clarity

How much 'honestly' do you drink?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious as to everyone's alcohol habits. I tend to go through phases where I'll only have a couple of glasses at the weekend, to doing a couple of weeks wine free, to phases where I'll have one glass every evening with dinner or sometimes 2 or 3 nights each week where I'll have a bit more than one glass.

At the moment I am going through the latter of these, and will reach of a chilled glass probably 3 or 4 nights a week & have 2 large glasses each time, as my children are at that 'driving me potty' age. I don't get too stressed out about it as I generally live healthily & exercise. Everything in moderation.

What about everyone else? Honest answers please ;-)

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I love good beer, but I drink SO very rarely. Like, maybe one beer a month or less. I just don't want the added calories.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I, much to the dismay of my doctor who lectures me each year, will have 3-4 glasses of wine on one or two days of the week. So, while I'm not drinking everyday, my doctor has explained that having that much in a sitting is worse.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh and I have very different drinking habits. I rarely drink and he has a drink or 2 every night. I enjoy a glass of wine every now and then and some hard liquor occasionally but I can live without it too. I have rosacea so it exacerbates my flushing/burning and that is why I rarely drink. Though we did share an amazing red wine the other night. So smooth and delicious.

My dh either has a glass or 2 of wine or a couple of beers or a few ounces of bourbon or scotch almost every night. He usually skips one night per week (my gentle persuasion cause I want him to give his liver a rest one night a week lol) and this seems to work out well for him. At parties though he does drink a bit more.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More than I should, but not as much as I'd like!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1370694127|3461446 said:

:D lol. Good answer Dee*Jay!

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
"I don't drink anymore. I don't drink any less, either." -- I forget who said that. LOL I actually can't tolerate much alcohol anymore without it giving me a headache or indigestion. I live in a real small rural area, and I don't have anyone to go out with and I don't drink alone, so I just sort of quit by default. The result is that I can't stand the stuff now! Ethyl is the least toxic of the alcohols, and they are all toxic.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not drink at all during the work week, which for me is Sunday thru Wednesday, I do however drink Thursday thru Saturday..how much..to much as my doctor has told me...however its alot less then I use to drink..I do love my wine and I love whiskey, usually its 3-4 drinks a night on my weekends..sometimes more, sometimes less...but this is the average.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Usually a couple of glasses of wine at dinner, and maybe a postprandial brandy. I stopped when I had the weight lost bet with my husband, and the weight melted away: I started again, and, hey, lookee there! My weight has frozen like a margarita. Soooooooo ... come to think of it, maybe I'll knock it off again. Since I'm back around pre-baby weight, let's see if I can get to pre-wedding weight!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I don't generally drink unless there's a special occasion or I'm on vacation. So in Vegas last weekend I had one drink at happy hour and one drink with dinner on Friday...and then on Saturday night I lost track of the G&Ts I had at the GTG...whatever the total was it was obscene. Such is life with an open bar! :lol: If hubs and I are out to dinner, I'll generally have a cocktail or glass of wine, and if we're out for brunch I enjoy a champagne cocktail, but I rarely drink alcohol at home.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Love DeeJay's answer! I drank enough the 1st half of my life to last several lifetimes & quit drinking 21 yrs ago. Don't miss it at all. I think the hysteria over having more than one drink or something, though, is silly. Anybody who can handle it should have fun -- the key is knowing when you can't handle it. We can always quit doing every possible risky thing & die of boredom!

--- Laurie

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I drink no alcohol. Never have, never will. Like smoking, I don't want to risk any sort of addiction. I have an addictive personality so I know not to ingest anything I could become dependent on. I'm certainly not suggesting everyone do the same, but its worked out well for me so far (my liver is thanking me :lol: )

And yes, binge drinking is worse than small amounts. Most people also underestimate the amount they drink. It's important to keep track of how big your glasses of wine are!

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Glass of red wine once or twice a week or so when out to dinner or when eating a nice dinner. I have a very low tolerance, though, so even a glass of wine feels like it goes to my head a bit. When having a stressful work week I'll occasionally (a couple times a year) open a bottle of white at home and I'll drink a glass or two that night and usually feel compelled to drink another glass or two the next night.

My SO and I just broke up so I expect that means I won't be drinking red wine at home very often and probably won't go out to dinner nearly as often. I'll probably limit my wine drinking at home alone, too, since I worry that at a time of sadness and high stress I could easily start drinking more than is safe.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SO and I are into craft brews. Michigan has some amazing brews. We don't drink to get drunk. But a few days a week will have a beer. Weekends we might have 2. Maybe once a month we drink more than that, at a party or whatever.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't drink at all. I did when I was young but stopped while TTC 25 years ago, and just never started again, for several reasons. Alcoholism runs in my family so I think I'm better off playing it safe and just abstaining. Didn't want to be impaired while taking care of young kids. Also wanted to show my kids it's possible to enjoy life without drinking. Not judging anybody here, everybody should just do what works best for them, I'm not against others drinking but just wanted to be honest about my own reasons for not doing it.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
What Dee*Jay said!!!

I just genuinely love to drink. I absolutely adore the tingling feeling in my fingers, toes, and brain that comes after a beer or two (or glass of wine or two or whatever the poison of choice). At parties I probably drink more than I should, but I'm always a happy drunk and am rarely out of control.

All that said, never on a weekday. Well almost never. Vacations don't count.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually about 1 drink per day. Sometimes I only drink about half the nights per week and about once every 3-4 weeks we go out with friends and I drink 2-3 times my normal amount.

I go through phases and alternate between mixed drinks, made with 50ml of spirit which calculates as 2 units, a bottle of beer though I have a reputation of not finishing them and leaving them in the fridge to get flat, which is 2.6 units if completely consumed, or a small glass of wine which is between 1.5 - 2.5 units depending on the size of the glass and percentage of alcohol.

I'm usually very aware of how much I drink. I don't measure it out every time but often do. My husband drinks less than I do. He usually consumes about 3 bottles of 8.5% beer each week which is about 2.8 units per bottle.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
I'm an extreme case
I drank everyday from 1 week.after my 16th birthday till just shy of 21, some days would be 6-7 beers, other days would be a bottle of jagermeister.
but that's because I bartended. what happens in Korea stays I guess.

I went for a physical and the dr almost had a aneurysm when they checked my.liver. Oops. So I decided to.take a break at.21 (irony at it's finest)

then I started getting migraines and my.neuro.said no more smoking and insane drinking.

I definitely don't smoke anymore but I do have a beer sometimes. (like 1-2 a week)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do drink more than I should. If I have two beers 2-3 times per week, I'm fine in keeping my calorie range in ck, but I usually end up drinking more when we go to social events so I probably should adjust the amount somewhere. I do like beer, though...a good IPA. Also, we go hiking a lot in the summer...it's nice to have a chilled beer after a long hike in the woods ;-)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is fascinating reading - thanks everyone! Very different answers, reasons & motivations to drink or not to drink. My husband only drinks maybe one night a month, but he will drink FAR too much and I think that's much worse than slow & steady with a couple of glasses 2 or 3 nights a week, but he doesn't get it. He trains hard & competes in Triathalons, so its rare for him to join me :rolleyes:

I have never been able to drink more than 4 large glasses over a very long evening since I became a mum. Firstly the horrid hangover isn't worth it, but I just can't tolerate it anymore & start to feel sick :nono:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am with Dee Jay. :bigsmile: I basically only drink wine and can vary from not having any alcohol for days to weeks to having a glass or two daily for a week or two. It depends on activities, company, holidays and stress.

Is it bad I was just going to pour myself a glass of white wine right now?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drink a few times a year. I have a terrible tolerance, addiction in my family, and drinking tends to be very unpredictable for me. I might be a super happy drunk one night and the crying, depressed drunk the next.

It doesn't really mix well with my meds either.

The day after drinking, I always wonder why I tried. I never drink a lot either, maybe two or three glasses of wine, max. It's almost been a year since I've had a drink. I might keep the streak going at this point.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol:

I have 1-2 glasses of wine most evenings. Every now and then too many like at the GTG :-o

Just poured a glass in fact.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, more than I should. For a while there I was drinking 2-4 glasses of wine every night. That happens when I'm stressed, which I have been for the past few months. I know it's bad for me, but I don't have any other vices, so that's how I rationalize it. My goal, starting this week, is to only drink on weekends (Fri-Sun). And I've been doing good, but I did have a few glasses on Thursday night watching the Hawks game. I'm trying to get back in shape (I put on 13 pounds since November. Again, stress), so cutting back on the booze really helps, so that's my motivation.

For the most part, it's red wine (Malbec or Cabernet), but occasionally I'll have a beer or a vodka/soda. I just love red wine... :wink2: Hubby is an IPA guy.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

I want to bust out this response at my next annual physical.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4-5 shots of Cognac every Friday night. I have never drank beer or wine in my life.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I don't, really. Last time I drank was at my wedding, had 3 strongly mixed drinks (heavy handed bartender). So, it's been about 6 months. Hubby and I really aren't into it anymore.

Another motivator is the fact that I wrk at a drug and alcohol treatment agency, so it's not the best idea for clients to see me out and about, doing what we are working towards getting them not to.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1370714532|3461620 said:
FWIW, I took a poll a couple years ago.
I think people are more likely to reveal the 'honest' truth about something like drinking (which some people feel can have a negative connotation) in an anonymous poll.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-much-do-you-drink.160350/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-much-do-you-drink.160350/page-2[/URL]

I think you're spot on about this, Kenny.

Ain't nobody gonna admit to that 3rd martini at lunch on Friday.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results