carat
color
clarity

How much do you spend on a wedding gift in this situation:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: How much do you spend on a wedding gift in this situatio

I haven't read all the responses so excuse me if this has been said. The best etiquette advice I've seen with regards to weddings is to spend what you would spend on yourself to celebrate a milestone. If you got a big promotion and you could afford $25 for a celebratory meal then that is what you should spend. Likewise, if you would spend $300 on yourself then that is what you give. I like that it puts the focus on the milestone - not tit for tat, whatever another friend does, or covering someone else's party expenses. Given your student debt situation a $70 gift sounds generous. Enjoy the wedding. Hopefully it will be a chance to reconnect now that you live a bit closer.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I think you did fine. I am on of those people who tries to cover meals, now that I have a stable income. As a student, $70 is good.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Screw protocol.
Give whatever you want.
Attend or don't.

Look into yourself, not outside yourself for guidance.
You are the ultimate source for what's right for you.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I think the gift you gave or will be giving is very appropriate. I got married in the state I graduated college from (not where DH and I are from) so several old college friends came to my wedding. Though we had been very close several years prior we hadn't spoken often in the last 3 years. I was so happy they came and it was a great little reunion. So definitely go to the wedding as I think you will have a lot of fun. Don't worry about the gifts or what you are supposed to give. I think out of my 4 college friends only 2 brought gifts and it was the brand of vodka we used to always drink!!! :twisted:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

To be honest, I didn't even know that there was etiquette/protocol that dictated how much you spend. I thought the the gift amount was based entirely upon how much one wanted to/or could afford to give.
I agree with the others that your gift sounds perfectly appropriate and certainly nothing to feel guilty about. Enjoy the wedding :)

MaddyRock

Rough_Rock

Your gift is perfect. I agree that it should be based on give what is appropriate based on your situation at the time. Have fun!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think what you are spending is appropriate. It's a gift. Not a cover-charge. :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Any gift SHOULD be appreciated. About half my guests did not bring a gift or card. A few people, even close friends, got me gifts from my registry in the $10-15 range. Those came pretty much exclusively from friends in or just out of grad school or friends who had never been to a wedding before (I even had one friend who just stayed for the ceremony and was SHOCKED that there was a big party later. I guess he didn't look closely at the invitation and I failed to explain that part to him because I thought it was obvious.). I think $70 sounds fine.

movie zombie|1375584970|3496227 said:
if you only hear from this person now, well, this person is merely after a gift.

I don't agree that this is the case. I was invited to a wedding about three years ago of a girl who I had been bffs with in middle school but hadn't seen since. We reconnected and hang out fairly regularly now (not frequently since she lives about an hour away, but every couple of months). I haven't asked but I wonder if maybe she was looking for a way to reconnect but didn't know how to bring it up, since immediately after the wedding I started receiving invitations to girls' nights, board game nights, etc etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results