shape
carat
color
clarity

How much did you paid for your mattress? what is the brand?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Re: How much did you paid for your mattress? what is the bra

Poodles4me|1443118473|3931368 said:
We've been sleeping on Tempur-Pedics for years. We're on our third one which is adjustable. DF - you don't want to know how much we paid :shock: . We also have a Tempur-Pedic in our spare bedroom. I have a difficult time sleeping on anything else. The downside to memory foam mattresses is that they are beastly heavy. I would get a memory foam mattress for our Murphy bed (spare bed in my sewing room) but I'm afraid it's not strong enough to support the mattress.

DF - just saw your question. We don't notice our memory foam being hot but many people do find they sweat more. I think it really depends on the individual.

Tempurpedics used to be very hot because they were made with what they called "closed cells" which didn't allow for any breathability. A lot of the memory foam mattresses now still use it. Tempurpedic actually has "open cells" now which make them a lot cooler to sleep on. But they can still get a little hot. Especially for people who are sensitive to temp when they are sleeping.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you Ilander. Unfortunately that won't work for DH. He needs firmer not softer.

I'd really rather not replace the mattress yet. Oh well .

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy-

Is he experiencing any back pain? Is that why he needs a firmer mattress? Then I would suggest physical therapy, my DD is studying to be a doctor of PT (and works at a clinic with many patients) and she gave me bunch of exercises that have done my back a world of good! They're very gentle, but the difference over the last 6 months is like night and day. Your Dr can give you a referral to have insurance pay for it, and they'll analyze his muscle structure. Even with a slipped disk, strengthening the muscles around it will relieve the pain. I didn't want to end up with a disability, which is where I was heading. I frequently pulled my back, and DH's super soft pad is slightly achy for me. My whole body is much better now, and I can lift and move with ease. No more "oof" noises when I get up and down. :bigsmile: I think PT is underused when the benefits are so quick and obvious.

If that's not his issue, I would suggest the old fashioned board between mattress and box spring, temporarily.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

iLander|1443212396|3931838 said:
Gypsy-

Is he experiencing any back pain? Is that why he needs a firmer mattress? Then I would suggest physical therapy, my DD is studying to be a doctor of PT (and works at a clinic with many patients) and she gave me bunch of exercises that have done my back a world of good! They're very gentle, but the difference over the last 6 months is like night and day. Your Dr can give you a referral to have insurance pay for it, and they'll analyze his muscle structure. Even with a slipped disk, strengthening the muscles around it will relieve the pain. I didn't want to end up with a disability, which is where I was heading. I frequently pulled my back, and DH's super soft pad is slightly achy for me. My whole body is much better now, and I can lift and move with ease. No more "oof" noises when I get up and down. :bigsmile: I think PT is underused when the benefits are so quick and obvious.

If that's not his issue, I would suggest the old fashioned board between mattress and box spring, temporarily.

To say DH has a "bad" back is an understatement. He had three vertebrae fused before he was 40 and has degenerative arthritis all up and down his spine plus intermittent nerve issues and sciatica. So mattresses are a big deal for him

He's starting a new exercise routine will see how it goes.

Huff26

Rough_Rock

I worked at one of those chain mattress companies during nursing school. We bought a Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe Queen size for about $800-ish for the set with employee pricing.
Then I got pregnant and sank far too deep into that mattress so we bought a king allura by Tempurpedic- I think we paid $1900 or so for that one- again employee pricing.

Honestly I wake up at night pretty hot sometimes-BUT- still the best sleep I have ever had. We bought eucalyptus sheets which seems to help.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Simmons beautyrest.

I can also sleep on a wooden platform bed cushioned by lots of blankets, and did for a number of years. I love super firm.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

The next set I buy will be from Original Mattress Factory, their Orthopedic Ultra Firm. It's double sided, pretty conventional technology. I'd avoid Eurotop, or pillow top. due to their tendency to get indentations and go bad long before the springs ever wear out, and I'd put a good latex foam topper on it. They can hinge the king mattress for easier transport, and you can get split box springs for full sz on up.

Another company that I like, that nobody has heard of, is Imperial Bedding from Huntington WV. They have made hotel bedding for years. They make minimalist 2-sided mattresses, as well as some highly padded modern ones.

What I have now is a Therapedic brand ultra firm single sided mattress that I got on clearance at a local furniture store. It's essentially rock-hard firm, which I like, and the store said they also sell more full size beds than larger sizes (probably due the elderly age of this area.) Between those two things, the store was eager to finally get rid of it. I paid only $125 for it, and then I got a nice free split box foundation from a Craigslist ad in the nearby city. I put a thin topper on it. I'm really happy with that setup, but I am one of those people who could probably sleep on a good bedroll on a hardwood floor. :lol: I just have always liked a really firm mattress, and I don't want anything that I sink into. This low budget bedding sits on a custom solid brass bed with onyx trim, which would cost me about $8000 or $9000 to buy new today. :lol:

I read a few years ago that about $600-$700 is the sweet spot that most mattress companies aim for, for volume sales. Today's mattress are supposed to be replaced every 4-5 years or so, iirc. I'll just stick with the old technology. Mattresses made with wool and latex are the best, but I'm not going to spend that much. There are regional companies out there that still make 2-sided mattresses that are decent but don't cost $1000s. The "S brands" were all considered junk by most of the old timers in the furniture and bedding business. I think Original Mattress Factory is a good product at reasonable cost. My rule of thumb is buy the mattress for the spring, then you can tune it with a topper to get just the right feel. whatsthebestmattress.com forum had a bunch of people who created their own mattresses, more or less, by encasing a spring and whatever padding layers they wanted in a mattress case.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

We have a king knock-off Tempurpedic that we bought 10 years ago. I think we paid around $3K or so. I loved that it didn't creak but now it does. It's really heavy, and I feel bad for the moving people every time they move that beast. I hate mattress shopping but we're probably due for a new one in the next year or two.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

" I'd avoid Eurotop, or pillow top. due to their tendency to get indentations and go bad long before the springs ever wear out, and I'd put a good latex foam topper on it."

This is exactly what happened to our last Simmons Beauty Rest. It had a thick pillow top and within a year the pillow top had such bad indentations that it was no longer comfortable. The springs were fine but the top was shot. If I were ever to go back to a conventional mattress I wouldn't get a pillow top, just a replaceable topper.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Some people on that mattress forum cut the pillowtop off and replaced it with however many layers of Talalay latex, then wrapped that up in a mattress cover / encasement of some sort, and kept on using it because their was nothing wrong with the springs.

People may gripe about the diamond and jewelry industries being full of hype and B.S., but there is far more of it in the bedding industry. There used to be a man on that mattress forum who would help people determine what "S brand" mattress at some store was equivalent to what mattress somewhere else, when the manufacturers and retailers were making it almost impossible for consumers to get apples-to-apples comparisons. I learned a lot hanging around on there. Most of the innersprings used in USA-manufactured mattresses were from Leggett & Platt (in 2010 but could be different now.) Just knowing that much can take a lot of the mystery out of buying, and help you to fill in incomplete information that vendors may give.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy said:
iLander|1443212396|3931838 said:
Gypsy-

To say DH has a "bad" back is an understatement. He had three vertebrae fused before he was 40 and has degenerative arthritis all up and down his spine plus intermittent nerve issues and sciatica. So mattresses are a big deal for him

He's starting a new exercise routine will see how it goes.

If he experiences pain during exercise, consider a doctor of physical therapy. Their exercises are pain free but effective, because they have extensive knowledge of the bones, muscles, etc. The take classes involving cadavers and complete anatomy info.

ming

Shiny_Rock

We bought a Tempurpedic with the cooling top when we were moving to the UK since we knew that we couldn't get a king mattress in the UK. So we bought it and put it right into the container to be shipped. It was a gamble coming from only having slept on springs amd could have been a huge $5000 mistake but we love it! Best. Purchase. Ever.

While we were waiting for our container we bought an Ikea Hokkasen mattress which we really liked but only used it for a few weeks so can't speak to how well it holds up.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

The mattresses in the kids rooms are Midwest Sleep. My parents bought them and I don't think they cost a lot. They don't "feel" like they cost a lot-I can feel springs in my knees when I kneel to change the sheets and such. I sleep in London's room on her trundle bed and have been having a lot of pain, so I think that mattress needs to get switched..well, they all need to be b/c if London's gone I sleep on hers so I don't have to pull the bed out and if she has a friend over I sleep in Trapper's room. We went on vacation over the summer and the bed in our cabin was... :love: insanely wonderful for me-so soft and just niiice. I felt good when I woke up in the morning, not all drowsy and sore. I need to just call them and tell them what cabin we were in and which bedroom/bed I had and find out what it was. Mom looked but didn't write it down so we don't remember.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results