shape
carat
color
clarity

How is your diet going?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here we are well over 30 days into the new year and maybe getting settled into new habits. So......

How is your diet going?

When did you start?

Are you following a specific plan or diet?

If you feel comfortable sharing, what is your goal? Not necessarily weight related (like I would like to be able to run 2 miles).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
StephanieLynn|1454557873|3986632 said:
Here we are well over 30 days into the new year and maybe getting settled into new habits. So......

How is your diet going?

When did you start?

If you feel comfortable sharing, what is your goal? Not necessarily weight related (like I would like to be able to run 2 miles).
:lol: :lol: :lol: I wish there was a rolling on the ground smilie to address how "Well I was doing." Because it is a shitshow over here. I am supposed to be lowcarb. I am failing so miserably it is astounding.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't make any specific resolutions, but decided recently that I need to eat more vegetables and raw greens. I ate a salad for dinner AND for lunch today.... That's gotta be some kind of record for me! The salad was full of roast chicken and cheddar, but still. :cheeky:

I would love to lose a few pounds, now that you mention it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1454596422|3986779 said:

How is your diet going?

When did you start?

:lol: :lol: :lol: I wish there was a rolling on the ground smilie to address how "Well I was doing." Because it is a shitshow over here. I am supposed to be lowcarb. I am failing so miserably it is astounding.

Low carb is tough! I'm on Paleo and there are certain days I should probably do everyone a favor and stay home! ;-)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blingbunny10|1454598421|3986793 said:
I didn't make any specific resolutions, but decided recently that I need to eat more vegetables and raw greens. I ate a salad for dinner AND for lunch today.... That's gotta be some kind of record for me! The salad was full of roast chicken and cheddar, but still. :cheeky:

I would love to lose a few pounds, now that you mention it.

That's great, good for you! I rely heavily on the vegetables you can steam in the microwave. Probably not the best but better than nothing.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Mine goes great. 4 weeks and 9 pounds. Just eating same food as before, but only half than before. And candies only once a week, not every day like I used to eat :shock: . Easiest diet ever....and trust me; I have gone thru many.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is actually going quite well! I started Jan 1 with no drinking and healthy eating. I only drank 1 day, and ate very-super healthy most days (1 day was cookies and ice cream). So 30/31 days successful. Going into feb I'm continuing the healthy eating, but will incorporate alcohol a bit. So far I'm down 15ish lbs! I just broke into the 170s today. Goal is 140-150 ish. I have a wedding to attend at the end of may, and would like to hit my goal by then :)

No workouts yet, but will start to incorporate that as well.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm doing Paleo, been at it since 2 weeks before Halloween. I lost 70lbs after my first son eating clean and now that I've had my second I need to lose 80lbs (damn pregnancy cravings. I started at 217, at 174 and aiming to get to 140.

You guys are all doing great, it's tough some days but it will be worth it!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is your diet going?

I didn't realize I was on one... so I guess not well. :lol:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Not really on a diet, however, I do make an effort to eat as chemical free as possible. I feel like the food actually tasted better once you get used to less salt and sugar.

Mostly veggies chicken, and fish with the odd whole grain item mixed in. Getting big on using nuts to bake stuff.

A favorite of mine is "Raw Vegan Not Gross" and the Minimalist Baker.

Just bought my first batch of fresh roasted coffee from my local coffee hipster guy and looking forward to making it in my new glass french press tomorrow. Work has a coffee maker with pods and I'm not a fan of all of that heated plastic.

Anyway rambling. I guess my diet is going well and I would highly recommend it.

Eta: Also doing resistance training 2 days per week, running about 12-15 miles per week, and yoga 2-3 days. Sounds like a lot, but we an hour here and there. Mainly less TV watching.

All of this came about after being so sick I could barely walk and being diagnosed with colitis. I had a lightbulb moment where I realized that flavors aren't hugely different from scents, and I know I react to scented products. Major overhaul to my relationship with food coupled with exercise seems to have brought on remission without medication. A huge thing considering potential side effects from treatment. I feel better than I ever have so it's easy to keep it up.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been on this 'diet' nearly 60 years.
Going okay, I guess.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We started a low carb lifestyle at the end of August. It was REALLY hard at first. Got easier. And honestly, the holidays weren't challenging. And I was down 25 lbs and two pant sizes. But since January it's like we have a Murphy's Law Curse on us and I've been hanging onto the diet by the skin of my teeth. I actually gained back 2 pounds. And today I contemplated mugging the food delivery lady in the elevator with me for the Thai Iced Teas she had. And if someone is dumb enough get near me with hot freshly baked crusty bread. I will not be responsible for my actions.

Yesterday and today though I stuck to it. And I think I can do it tomorrow too. And so I'm taking it one day at a time. My goal is another 25 pounds so... I hope the curse moves on, hopefully to a pedophile somewhere, and so the need to seek comfort in food lessens.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1454596422|3986779 said:

How is your diet going?

When did you start?

Ame, my first three weeks of low carb, I actually had to go to the doctor I had the shakes so bad and I couldnt' concentrate or sleep.

It's really hard.

If you want some low carb recipes I have some. And (this is easier) I have figured out lots of ways to just make regular recipes low carb.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really do low carb, but as I'm (very) intolerant to gluten, I mostly eat fish, meat and vegetables + some fruit when working out or when I'm too tired and need to wake up in the morning :) And I found out that it is easy to loose weight when avoiding bread/kakes/cinnamonbuns (don't really eat potatoes or rice on a day-to-day basis, only if we are invited to friends etc) So I do recommend an all natural food diet if anyone wishes to loose a few pounds. Worked wonders after I had my last child and wanted to tighten up fast again :) The smell of freshly baked stuff in the morning (I have to pass the bakery on my way to work) is however TORTURE!!
Please share nice low carb recipes! :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a good cook, and I don't follow recipes except for sweets. So for savory dishes, I make foods that are naturally low carb or do substitutions to make recipes low carb.

So these are things I will make:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/perfect-roast-chicken-recipe.html And we don't like fennel so I'll use onions instead. I'll use 1/2 the carats and substitute cauliflower or butternut squash for the rest.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/222187/pork-tenderloin-diablo/ heavy cream is low carb this whole recipe is a joy for the low carb diet. I like this one with roasted cauliflower (just put the cauliflower pieces on a cookie sheet, spray with olive oil and salt and pepper it, roast in oven till brown on top).

I do a simple prosciutto wrapped pork tenderloin. Heat oven to 350. I take the silver skin off the tenderloin. Then I season with pepper ONLY (prosciutto is salty). I'll overlap the prosciutto on plastic wrap until I get to the length pork. Then I wrap the prosciutto around the pork (no string or toothpicks or anything needed). Remove the plastic wrap. Then I'll sear it a few minutes on each side then pop it in the oven for about 25 minutes or until it hits 145 degrees (which is perfectly safe and medium). I'll then take the meat and rest it, while I make a pan sauce by adding one chopped shallot, then use white wine to deglaze the pan, some fresh thyme, and a little chicken stock, I'll reduce that down quite a bit. Then I'll remove it from heat and add pats of butter in to thicken it while whisking. Do some simple sautteed spinach on the side and you are in heaven. Guide to simple pan sauces: http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/simple- pan-sauces/

I will make a lovely Manhattan Clam chowder (which is basically a veggie soup with clam broth and chopped clams) and used crumbled cauliflower instead of potato at the end. Perfect for winter. I thicken it with some ground flax seed (keep it on hand and in the fridge it adds a lot of fiber to your cooking)

I do salads using mixed greens or baby spinach, trader joes broccoli slaw (I don't make a slaw, it's just chopped broccoli straws with a few carrots), if you like them, I'll chop a hardboiled egg in there, I'll add some sliced mushrooms, a couple tomatoes (literally just a couple) and I'll add some canned beans (yes they have carbs, but they also have fiber, just shop smart and use one portion). I buy Lighthouse Homestyle Ranch and Chunky Blue Cheese dressings, that are tasty and low carb. Costco sells their rotisserie chicken breast by the pound, you can buy that, and use it for your salads.

You can make all KINDS of meatballs. I know, breadcrumbs are a problem. BUT there are solutions. Here are my solutions. 1) ground flax seed and 2) https://thrivemarket.com/wasa-sourdough-crispbread . Each flat bread is only 7 grams of effective carbs and you can use your mini prep to grind it into bread crumbs. Meatballs give you a ton of flavor. You can do italian ones with ground sausage. You can do curried ones. If you are used to soaking the breadcrumbs in milk, you can use unsweetened almond milk instead.

If you crave italian, you can use the wasa sourdough crisp bread and make a lovely breaded chicken (beat the chicken breasts), add slices of provalone, some tomato sauce (shop for chopped tomatos or sauces that have no added sugar and make a simple marinara LIDIA has a greatrecipe that is easy) on top and pop it in the oven under the broiler. Alternately you can make meatballs (I recommend baking them) and then adding the marinara and the trader joes italian four cheese blend to melt it on the meatballs.

Eating out can be hard. But not impossible at all. Both Five Guys and In and Out do bunless. They are REALLY good. If you know a nice authentic mexican place (I live in CA so we have ton of these) you can do street tacos. The small corn tortillas they use are 4 carbs each. They usually double them up, ask them to do one tortilla each instead. Then order your favorite meat. All they put on it (if they are authentic street tacos) is onion, parsley, and salsa. 4 tacos is all I need, and that's if I'm really hungry. And that's only 16 carbs. Barbecue places are tricky. The meat is great for you. The sides rarely are. And same with the sauces. Use less than a tablespoon of the sauce. And either skip the sides (see if they have a side salad and order ranch or blue cheese with it) or stick to veggies (collard greens, green beans, etc.). And breakfast all day places are fantastic. You can get a just about any egg dish, skip the potatoes on the side, AND the fruit, and order BACON (yay!), or ham or sausage on the side. It seems wrong. But for this diet it is right.

Indian food curries are fantastic. Try to skip the ones with coconut milk. Skip the naan and the bread. Order a second dish of veggies instead. It will fill you up and make your taste buds happy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What I do have recipes for are desserts.

So here they are:
Panna Cotta- Low Carb
2.5 cups heavy cream
1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk (you can use unsweetened vanilla flavor)
1/3 cup Swerve plus 2 packets Spelenda.
1 Tablespoon powdered unflavored gelatin (maybe increase to 4 teaspoons if you want a firmer set)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt.
Put 1 cup of cream into a sauce pan. Sprinkle with gelatin and allow to soften for 3 minutes. Then add remainder of cream, and the vanilla extract and the sweetener and turn heat on to medium. Stirring all the while, heat cream until hot and starting to steam. DO NOT BOIL, or the gelatin will not set. Once it is up to heat take off burner. Stir salt into the almond milk and then slowly pour almond milk into the heated cream, stirring all the while.
Lightly oil six 6oz ramekins and put them all on a tray. Fill each ramekin, and then put the whole tray in the fridge. Cool for one hour, then cover the ramekins with plastic wrap to avoid them forming a skin. Cool for 4 hours.
In order to unmold put the ramekins in hot tap water for a couple minutes. Then if needed, run a knife around the inside of the ramekin to loosen and unmold them

Shortbread Cookies
Makes 2 dozen 2 ½-inch cookies
Ingredients:
8 Tbsp Butter, softened
Zest of One Orange OR 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup granular Sugar Free Sweetener (I used Swerve style)
2 cups Almond Flour

Directions:
In a medium bowl, cream together butter, vanilla or zest, salt and sweetener. Add almond flour and mix until dough forms.
To make cookies:
Scoop the mound of dough into the center of a sheet of plastic wrap, wax paper, or parchment paper. Using your hands, roll dough into an approximate 2-inch diameter cylindrical log; wrap and refrigerate dough until chilled and firm, about 1 hour (the dough can also be made ahead of time and refrigerated for several days).
baked-cookies
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or line a USA Pan baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice chilled dough into approximate 1/3-inch thick slices and place on baking sheet, spacing about 1 inch apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool on pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling (cookies firm up as they cool).
To make a tart or pie crust:
No need to pre-chill, just press dough into tart or pie tins. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees (F) for 15 mins until firm and golden brown.

Chocolate Ice Cream :
• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
• 1/2 cup Swerve or Erythritol sweetener
• 3 packets Splenda
• 7 egg yolks
• 2 pinches of salt
• 2 cup heavy cream
• 4 tsp. vanilla extract
• 2 oz (1 bar) unsweetened chocolate chopped into pieces (I recommend Guittard)

1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, swerve, Splenda, egg yolks, and salt. Place pan over medium-low heat and whisk until mixture is incorporated, then stir until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wood spoon then remove from heat and add unsweetened chocolate and whisk until fully incorporated. Taste and adjust accordingly.. Strain mixture into a large bowl containing cream, and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
2. Pour mixture into ice-cream maker; process according to manufacturer instructions.

Vanilla Ice Cream
• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
• 1/3 cup Swerve or Erythritol sweetener
• 3 packets Splenda
• 6 egg yolks
• Pinch of salt
• 2 cup heavy cream
• 1 TBSP vanilla extract

Directions
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, Swerve, Splenda, egg yolks, and salt. Place pan over medium-low heat and whisk until mixture is incorporated, then stir until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wood spoon. Strain mixture into a large bowl containing cream, and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
2. Pour mixture into ice-cream maker; process according to manufacturer instructions.

If you google low carb peanut butter cookies there a lot of good recipes for those as well. And you can make a flourless chocolate cake (though I don't have the recipe) with Swerve and unsweetened chocolate or cocoa which is nice.

Regarding savory dishes. I add 1-3 tablespoons of ground flax seed to stews, tomato sauces (marinara), just about everything. Why? You can't detect it, but it adds a ton of fiber which helps you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also hard are drinks.

If you need a soda.

IMO the best ones are diet pepsi, diet coke with splenda, caffienne free coke zero, fresca and coke zero.

But I really recommend you order iced tea in restaurants, or water, or club soda.

Then at home, invest in a nice iced tea diffuser and get a nice selection of iced teas.

If you love coffee, I recommend taking it black, or if that's not an option, carry Truvia with you. And if you like it with creamer, then order Heavy Cream. Not half and half and not milk. Both those have carbs. So do most coconut/almond/nut milks that are sweetened. Heavy Cream (which starbucks carries) is no carb.

If you need snacks. Carry around Quest Bars with high protein (the oreo cookie and chocolate chip are actually decent). Do not buy anything with Malitol (which Atkins uses) the carbs actually DO count. So you want Erythritol or Splenda as a sweetner.

Lily's makes chocolate sweetened with Stevia. Whole Foods Carries it. And they are good.

Cheese. Mini Babybel Cheese and Part Skim string cheese.

And raw almonds. Trader Joes does snack sized packages. Those are great.

Eventually, you will lose the need to snack, if you are like me. And your system will get used to just eating your meals and staying full between them. That's the goal.

Try not to ever be hungry in dangerous places-- like grocery stores. Even if it means stopping at a kentucky fried chicken for a chicken leg, or McDonalds for a chicken patty (you can get their chicken patties by themselves and they are 2 bucks).

It gets easier.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am currently on the Seefood diet. No that isn't Seafood spelled incorrectly, it is the Seefood diet.
As in if I am hungry and I see food, then I eat it :lol:

In the last 6 months I have dropped down from 210lb to 185lb from eating healthier options more often, I still eat plenty of comfort and other not so healthy foods but have just felt like eating more fruit lately. I want to get back to down to what I weighed when I was 21 which was about 165lb but I think I would probably have to start doing exercise... :-o

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually started mine a year and half ago and I needed to remind myself at the beginning of the year since I had gained 3 lbs over the holidays, I have lost those 3 lbs now and I am down 29 lbs since a year and half ago...another 35-40 to go....my total weight loss from my heaviest (several years back) is 41 lbs....it is so darn hard when you get older and I have a seriously slow metabolism :nono:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never "diet" per se but instead eat as healthfully as I can most of the time and I always workout every day unless I have a fever or a broken leg ( ::) ). For me working out (cardio, pilates and strength training) is an important part of each day to help me feel healthier and it allows me to work out any stressful emotions I may be experiencing. It really works. And I make it a priority every single day.

And just in case anyone here can find it useful I am sharing how I eat. I eat mainly a Mediterranean diet with a vegan emphasis though not year round as in summer I eat fish.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/mediterranean-diet/art-20047801

I am the type of person who likes volume so portion control doesn't work for me. Instead I choose foods that are nutritious and generally not calorie dense though I make a few exceptions as in nuts. I eat almonds and cashews every day for breakfast with a banana and that works for me because it is nutritious even though it is relatively high in calories.

I eat a lot of vegetables and salad through the day and for dinner with beans being my main protein source. Beans with quinoa or brown rice is a complete protein so that works out well. I also eat fermented foods every day as that is a super food and has a lot of benefits. You could buy them or make your own. I buy them. I have found some very tasty ones too if anyone is interested I will share what I buy.

For snacks I eat mainly air popped popcorn satisfying the volume part and the crunch part and I happen to enjoy the taste too. So it works for me. You could add chili powder or anything you like to the popcorn for some added flavor if you don't like the taste of air popped. I never add butter or salt.

Also important for me is that I bring lunch to work so I am not left with few unhealthy options. I take a bag of nuts and a salad with vegetables and beans to work every day plus an apple so I am not tempted by unhealthy options.

If you prepare ahead you can eat healthfully most of the time. I always keep organic salad bags in the fridge and vegetables in the freer and have beans ready to go. I soak them overnight and boil them in 90 minutes the next day ready to add to my salads. Easy Peasy.

I know I left stuff out but that's the gist of how I maintain a healthy way of eating and exercise.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Things are going pretty well! I have a lot of food allergies, so that cuts out many of the bads to begin with-dairy, wheat, eggs, soy and many more. I pretty much eat GF vegan with some fish and meat. My meals are high carb(sweet potato, rice and lots of fruit) and high good fats(avacados, olives, olive oil, coconut cream and coconut oil) and lots of veggies. This works great for me and the weight just falls off!!! I also do HIIT several time a week. I try to eat organic and local foods, one thing I would like to add is more fermented foods-if anyone has a good source that doesn't taste horrible please let me know :)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been attempting low-carb since January 2015.

Started the year at 142 lbs (5'4" short person, age 59).

Diagnosed with a brain tumor on Jan 31st, so cranked up the exercise a bit (at least 10K steps a day).

Entered the hospital in March for my craniotomy at 137 lbs.

Even ate low-carb while in the hospital:

Got a call from Food Services telling me that I didn't order any pasta with the sauce, :lol:

That operation set me back in the exercise department for several months, had PT and OT at the house to learn to walk again.
The initial Percocet and the meds after that I was taking for my nerve pain on my scalp was causing OIC so dessert after dinner was a bowl of bran cereal with almond milk.

Continued on quasi low-carb and got down to 130 lbs when I was diagnosed with diabetes (as if a brain tumor was not enough for 2015) A1c of 6.5 (6.4 is pre-diabetic). PCP said I would not have to do meds for blood sugar until A1c reached 7.0, yet I am still considered diabetic. Now it was time to get really serious about low-carb.

Cheated at Christmas and had slices of tiramisu for breakfast (in lieu of, not in addition to) or Chocolate Mint ice cream for lunch.

I stopped the meds for the nerve pain (still sends out weird signals but not the burning, searing pain earlier) and thus could stop the bowl of bran cereal (still 24 grams of carbs) every night.

Breakfast is plain bowl of oatmeal and a handful of berries (blue, black, or raspberry). Eggs when I go into the local Police Dept to volunteer (don't know how long I would be working and need protein).

Lunch is a microwave meal or a can of low-calorie Progresso soup paying attention to the carbs on the labels.

Dinner is grilled fish, roasted veggies, spinach. No potatoes, pasta, rice, corn. Once in a great while, beef.
Hubby made us steaks for Christmas so I wouldn't have beef all week if it were a prime rib roast.

The potatoes in the picture were for my hubby.

Started January of 2016 at 129 pounds and am now at 125 (BMI = 21.5). My goal is 120 lbs (BMI 20.6), so I still have 5 pounds to go,
but am finding that those 5 are the most difficult. Basically slow and steady for me, no yo-yo dieting.

Forgot to mention, I snack on cashews, and treat myself to one square of Lindt 90% dark chocolate (3 grams of carbs, less than 1 g of sugar) every other day. Beverages are unsweetened Peppermint tea, and ICE.

lunch_2015_080.jpg

veggies_n.jpg

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lost 9.4 pounds in Jan, really excited. No special diet, just clean eating, portion control, good choices re fiber, veg, & protein. Eat about 5 times a day, small portions.

Joined dietbet with a group of friends, goal was 4% for Jan, hit 6%/9.4. Am in for Feb, anther 4% goal, which is 6.4 lbs. Won my initial bet back plus a little more.

https://www.dietbet.com

Began swimming in Sept, currently swimming .75 mi 4x per week, working out with trainer other 2. So far so good. Would like to loose 25 more to get to 135ish.

Was a thin person (120's) until age 36 when DS was born, never got back to original weight.

Wishing everyone success, it is hard work both physically and mentally!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread idea.

My diet is going so well that I'd rather not talk about it.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've done a variety of diets over the past few years, trying to battle my medication induced weight gain. None of them have really worked or have been realistic for me, personally. I was able to do paleo for almost a year and I did a few whole 30's. I have found that I am actually better off with just a little grain, brown rice or steel cut oats (no gluten though.)

My best friend lost 70+ pounds on Food Addicts Anonymous. She has a sponsor and goes to meetings. She linked me to their food plan and I have started it this week. It is very well laid out. You must eat everything listed each day. I am eating quite a bit more food than I did before, which is teaching me that maybe I was in starvation mode and that is why I wasn't losing weight. Sometimes, it is difficult for me to eat all of the food, especially at breakfast. So far, with eating all of this food, I have lost 4 pounds since Monday. I want to lose 20 more.

I feel hopeful for the first time in about two years. I thought I would never lose weight because of my meds. Now I am thinking maybe it is possible!

I won't be attending meetings. Although I really love food, I don't feel that I use it to soothe feelings.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1454687737|3987206 said:
I have been attempting low-carb since January 2015.

Started the year at 142 lbs (5'4" short person, age 59).

Diagnosed with a brain tumor on Jan 31st, so cranked up the exercise a bit (at least 10K steps a day).

Entered the hospital in March for my craniotomy at 137 lbs.

Even ate low-carb while in the hospital:

Got a call from Food Services telling me that I didn't order any pasta with the sauce, :lol:

That operation set me back in the exercise department for several months, had PT and OT at the house to learn to walk again.
The initial Percocet and the meds after that I was taking for my nerve pain on my scalp was causing OIC so dessert after dinner was a bowl of bran cereal with almond milk.

Continued on quasi low-carb and got down to 130 lbs when I was diagnosed with diabetes (as if a brain tumor was not enough for 2015) A1c of 6.5 (6.4 is pre-diabetic). PCP said I would not have to do meds for blood sugar until A1c reached 7.0, yet I am still considered diabetic. Now it was time to get really serious about low-carb.

Cheated at Christmas and had slices of tiramisu for breakfast (in lieu of, not in addition to) or Chocolate Mint ice cream for lunch.

I stopped the meds for the nerve pain (still sends out weird signals but not the burning, searing pain earlier) and thus could stop the bowl of bran cereal (still 24 grams of carbs) every night.

Breakfast is plain bowl of oatmeal and a handful of berries (blue, black, or raspberry). Eggs when I go into the local Police Dept to volunteer (don't know how long I would be working and need protein).

Lunch is a microwave meal or a can of low-calorie Progresso soup paying attention to the carbs on the labels.

Dinner is grilled fish, roasted veggies, spinach. No potatoes, pasta, rice, corn. Once in a great while, beef.
Hubby made us steaks for Christmas so I wouldn't have beef all week if it were a prime rib roast.

The potatoes in the picture were for my hubby.

Started January of 2016 at 129 pounds and am now at 125 (BMI = 21.5). My goal is 120 lbs (BMI 20.6), so I still have 5 pounds to go,
but am finding that those 5 are the most difficult. Basically slow and steady for me, no yo-yo dieting.

Forgot to mention, I snack on cashews, and treat myself to one square of Lindt 90% dark chocolate (3 grams of carbs, less than 1 g of sugar) every other day. Beverages are unsweetened Peppermint tea, and ICE.[/quote

Your post is very inspiring, sorry that you were diagnosed with a brain tumor but I'm glad that you came through it and are doing so great!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cflutist, you are an inspiration. Be well!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stepcutnut|1454685981|3987191 said:
Things are going pretty well! I have a lot of food allergies, so that cuts out many of the bads to begin with-dairy, wheat, eggs, soy and many more. I pretty much eat GF vegan with some fish and meat. My meals are high carb(sweet potato, rice and lots of fruit) and high good fats(avacados, olives, olive oil, coconut cream and coconut oil) and lots of veggies. This works great for me and the weight just falls off!!! I also do HIIT several time a week. I try to eat organic and local foods, one thing I would like to add is more fermented foods-if anyone has a good source that doesn't taste horrible please let me know :)

Hi Stepcutnut, I have tried many fermented foods and finally found a few that I actually enjoy eating.

iboost makes a very tasty one that has a bit of fire and spice to it so if you don't care for that you may not like it but I usually cannot tolerate spicy and I do just fine with this one. Added bonus is it has 0 sodium so that works well for me as I don't tolerate sodium well.

I love their Herbal Krauts and have not yet tried their other choices but they look promising.
http://pickledplanet.com/our-products

And I also enjoy BAO green slaw which is fermented kale and dandelion. Very pleasant tasting.
http://www.baofoodanddrink.com/products/bao-raw-slaw

HTH and that you find fermented foods you enjoy eating.

And a special shout out to cflutist! You go girl!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Great work cflutist!

Missy-thanks for the suggestions!!! Most of what I've tried for fermented veggies just doesn't taste good and therefore doesn't get eaten. Which herbal Krauts have you tried that you like?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stepcutnut|1454770274|3987684 said:
Great work cflutist!

Missy-thanks for the suggestions!!! Most of what I've tried for fermented veggies just doesn't taste good and therefore doesn't get eaten. Which herbal Krauts have you tried that you like?

Hi Stepcutnut, it's called i-Boost Herbal Kraut. I get it locally at my health food store in the refrigerator section.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results