shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you store your baubles?

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please dish on your secrets for storing your jewels! Jewelry box? Safe? Armoir? In a pile on your dresser? I'd love to hear!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
8 jewelry boxes {and counting}. One thing I've found helpful. In every room I have a designated place where I'll put my jewelry, especially rings, if I have to take any off. It has help cut down on misplacing thing over the years, I'm sure.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1439771085|3915368 said:
I have a jewelry box that fits in the safe!!

Ooooh, that's smart! I like that idea.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Amber St. Clare|1439771192|3915369 said:
8 jewelry boxes {and counting}. One thing I've found helpful. In every room I have a designated place where I'll put my jewelry, especially rings, if I have to take any off. It has help cut down on misplacing thing over the years, I'm sure.

Great idea!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1439771192|3915369 said:

I, like you, have a number of jewelry boxes and it is kind of is driving me nuts! I am looking for something all-encompassing and streamlined. I do like the idea of having spots throughout the house where I can take my rings off. I tend to misplace my rings and earrings when I take them off in the rush.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stashed in hiding spots all over the house.
I have a decoy jewelry box on my dresser, filled with costume jewelry.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1439772993|3915387 said:
Stashed in hiding spots all over the house.
I have a decoy jewelry box on my dresser, filled with costume jewelry.

I like where your head's at. I go back and forth between hiding things versus putting them in a safe all in the same place. Sometimes I forget where I stash things... :lol:

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somewhere. Only DH gets to know where.

I will say that I only put things in designated place. Never anywhere else. Not even for a minute. We have cats who would love a chance to run off with sparkles....

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In jewelry boxes. We plan to get a gun safe and there are a lot of big fancy gun safes that also have jewelry compartments, but they are expensive and in the past year+ we have had a string of big unexpected other home-related expenses come up so our "house stuff" budget has been going to those rather than to new stuff.

Of course, everything I wear frequently goes on this hand or gets piled in front of it (this pic is from like three years ago, so not what is currently on the hand):

img_3308.jpg

So obviously I'm not terribly worried about theft...

Though I will say my engagement/wedding rings go on this when I take them off 100% of the time. Never anywhere else, ever. I try to always always always put any jewelry I take off and any gem boxes that haven't made it into the big tray thing (like from gems I may return) here so I don't lose anything. This is the shelf right above my laptop, so I can see it all while I'm sitting here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In pure cotton wraps, then individually inside a small ziplock plastic baggie, then they are piled into a larger plastic baggie and the whole thing is at the bank safety deposit box. I only take out and wear one or two items at a time.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have much. I put my expensive stuff in a safe and never where it. :cheeky: I also have a big jewelry box that just has cheap things in it. Things I don't care about at all. Let them find something and maybe they'll stop looking. But really, there is always someone home anyway plus we have a lot of security redundancies in this house.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
distracts|1439820158|3915547 said:
In jewelry boxes. We plan to get a gun safe and there are a lot of big fancy gun safes that also have jewelry compartments, but they are expensive and in the past year+ we have had a string of big unexpected other home-related expenses come up so our "house stuff" budget has been going to those rather than to new stuff.

Of course, everything I wear frequently goes on this hand or gets piled in front of it (this pic is from like three years ago, so not what is currently on the hand):

img_3308.jpg

So obviously I'm not terribly worried about theft...

Though I will say my engagement/wedding rings go on this when I take them off 100% of the time. Never anywhere else, ever. I try to always always always put any jewelry I take off and any gem boxes that haven't made it into the big tray thing (like from gems I may return) here so I don't lose anything. This is the shelf right above my laptop, so I can see it all while I'm sitting here.

What a cool display! I've never seen one like that. I have been meaning to buy a safe as well but just keep putting it off because of other expenses.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1439823748|3915583 said:
In pure cotton wraps, then individually inside a small ziplock plastic baggie, then they are piled into a larger plastic baggie and the whole thing is at the bank safety deposit box. I only take out and wear one or two items at a time.

Do you find it terribly annoying to go back and forth to the bank? I like this option the best, but I feel like I wouldn't ever bother.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lyra|1439827761|3915608 said:
I don't have much. I put my expensive stuff in a safe and never where it. :cheeky: I also have a big jewelry box that just has cheap things in it. Things I don't care about at all. Let them find something and maybe they'll stop looking. But really, there is always someone home anyway plus we have a lot of security redundancies in this house.

Poor little baubles sitting in a safe! :cry: Understandable why, though. I think about home security a lot, and wonder if we are just fooling ourselves to think that any method is infallible.

I really asked this question to find clever storage ideas, and not to find out where people hide their valuables. I should have realized that it might come across that way! :oops:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ihy138|1439829953|3915625 said:
Do you find it terribly annoying to go back and forth to the bank? I like this option the best, but I feel like I wouldn't ever bother.

My bank is only a few minutes from my house, rarely has many customers waiting in the lobby, and has Saturday hours, all of which makes it convenient for me.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ihy -- The reality is there is no clever place a thief doesn't know about. Having good security is probably far more helpful. Keep people from being interested in trying to break in to begin with.

Beyond that, know where they go and always put them there. Less likely to lose and if something goes missing you know about it sooner instead of some long period where you don't know when it went missing. I see this in the police blotter. Woman says it went missing some time between December and the next August. Can't really do much with that!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep them in our home safe in their respective jewelry boxes. It is easy enough to put them there when I am not wearing them and easy enough to get them when I want to wear them. I like having them right here when I want to enjoy wearing them and not having to go to a bank vault.

I feel we have double security because we are in a doorman building in one home and have a home alarm system (that notifies our local police immediately if the alarm goes off) in our other home so while it is not impossible to break in and steal them there is a double barrier the criminal must get through to do so.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Missy, asscherhalo_lover, TooPatient, and chrono for sharing your tips. I get the sense that cats are known jewel thieves?! I can't say I blame them.

I like the idea of having a designated place (secret or otherwise) to store the jewels in each room. I just read "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" and it made the point that everything should have a designated spot to place it. Right now that spot is where ever I leave it! Not a great strategy. Really appreciate the ideas everyone!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two - a smallish one that fits in the safe for the "good stuff", and a much bigger one on my dresser for the everyday, less pricey pieces. But I work from home and my house is "well protected" shall I say, so I don't worry much about the one big box. If I leave the house, it has a concealed stash spot. ;-)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ihy138|1439829655|3915621 said:
What a cool display! I've never seen one like that. I have been meaning to buy a safe as well but just keep putting it off because of other expenses.

The hand came from Michael's for like $10. I also have a necklace thing that I put the three necklaces I wear most often on (itty bitty diamond solitaire, the art deco diamond pendant I wore at my wedding, and a diamond + light green garnet + tsav threestone, all preloved purchases from PSers - thank you people who sold me my everyday pendants! I get a ton of wear out of them!). The one bad thing about the necklace stand is it is one of those flocked materials and it collects dust like nobody's business.

Oh, here's the hand: http://www.michaels.com/darice-black-hand-form-display/10152238.html#start=15

I have thought about safety deposit boxes but I know I personally would never fetch anything from one. I'd rather leave my stuff at home, out in the open, and enjoy it every day by looking at it out in the open, and maybe lose it because of that. The more expensive things are insured, and home insurance will cover a couple of items if my whole collection were to get wiped out. The frustrating thing for me is the loose gemstones - those are the only things I've really wanted a safety deposit box for, since I can't figure out how to insure them individually, and some of my pricier buys are still loose because I can't ever decide on settings. But at the same time, if I put them in a safety deposit box, I wouldn't be able to take them out and look at them every day!

While we're on the subject, how do people store EARRINGS? I can't figure out any good method. I don't like putting them loose in drawers in the jewelry box because I'm afraid they roll around and chip each other when I'm opening/closing the drawers. Am I being paranoid?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@distracts - my large box has two huge ring "speed bump" looking areas (don't know what they are called). I use one of those for my earrings, plugging the studs into the folds and laying the longer ones in the dips. The other I use for my everyday rings.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you JoCoJenn for sharing your strategies!

Distracts - thanks for sending the link for that hand over! I think I'll pick one up. I store earrings kind of all over the place. If they are fine, they stay in the box they came in. Anything costume goes with the rest of my costume jewelry, in one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Supertech-Organizer-Space-saving-Household-Accessory/dp/B00LXR31HI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440028941&sr=8-2&keywords=hanging+jewelry+storage

It serves it's purpose, but recently started looking for something in a tray format versus hanging storage. They are convenient, I just want something a little more substantial.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results