shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you fund your jewelry spending?

lb0424

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I discovered Pricescope several weeks ago and have been addicted to it. I don't want to admit it but my significant other told me every sentences I begin with "I saw xxx on pricescope, ....".

There are fabulous items under SMTB threads and I wonder how most people set a budget for their blings. I love to read people's stories of their upgrades and how they eventually find their dream one! Though with diamond prices creeping up so much these years, I wonder how people fund their interest for these luxury items since I hear that buying a diamond is not an investment. :shifty:

Love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever money is left over after all the necessities, including savings/emergency fund savings, is divided into free spending money between me and my husband. Then I save up some of my free spending money for bling. If I want something that costs more I have to save longer. Just like saving up for any other unnecessary purchase. *shrug*

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marry a rich man.. :wink2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use the money we would have spent on birthday/anniversary/holiday gifts to buy bling as my present. That is disposable income money. Money that we spend on fun things vs necessities.

If I want a bigger purchase like distracts I will just save up from multiple occasions. As in getting a bigger bling gift I will use all the money we would have spent for my birthday and anniversary and valentine's day and the holidays and buy one special piece. It works out for us that way.

Patience is key. Enjoy the hunt!

lb0424

Rough_Rock
missy|1436439225|3900768 said:

Hi distract & missy - thanks so much for teaching me that saving and emergency fund comes first (despite our love for blings)! :dance: I guess missy pointed out that "patience is key"!! For now, I'll just enjoy looking at those lovely diamonds on SMTB threads and learn from everyone. :appl:

Hi DF - marrying rich seems to be one of the solutions, but being rich through my own effort is what I strive!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
The other day in a moment of weakness, I tried to convince my husband that we should liquidate on of my old 403B retirement accounts so I couldbuy jewelry with it. He laughed at me. He's totally right, of course, but I'm turning 40 this year and I really wanted bling....

I was kidding..mostly.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
By earning more than I need to live, and living on much less than I earn. And I figure I can only wear so many pieces before it looks tacky, so I have a wishlist of items that I know I'll actually wear regularly, and limit my collection to those pieces. And my DH is supportive of me having jewelry, since he knows how much I enjoy it--he trusts I won't blow our retirement savings on diamonds. :bigsmile:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Negotiating. HAAHHAAHA!
Example: Cartier Love Bracelet = 8 years x (Anniversary + birthday + Christmas + Valentine's Day) = 8 x 4 x $200 = $6400
DH = are you sure you won't want something else?
Me = yes
DH = sigh of relief - ok!
Me = (hee hee hee.... he has a bad memory... he'll forget after year 2...)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1436428834|3900738 said:

Pretty much! :lol:

Although a lot of ladies on PS have lucrative careers themselves.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean|1436463989|3900892 said:
Negotiating. HAAHHAAHA!
Example: Cartier Love Bracelet = 8 years x (Anniversary + birthday + Christmas + Valentine's Day) = 8 x 4 x $200 = $6400
Me = yes

I like the way you think. :D

lb0424

Rough_Rock
PintoBean|1436463989|3900892 said:
Negotiating. HAAHHAAHA!
Me = yes

Love your narrative PintoBean! :D

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think DH and I have our birthday, Christmas, anniversary and Valentines presents for the next 500 years.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of saving for significant pieces... In practice, though, prices seem to rise far more quickly than I can save piecemeal, especially prices of branded pieces, so by the time I'm ready to buy I'm too horrified by how much more I'm paying than when I first started eyeing it to really enjoy it :(sad

I tend to buy when opportunity strikes and save "for general extras" to cover a yearly quota - so whilst I may not have the funds in the "fun money account" up-front, I've always "paid myself back" by the end of the fiscal year - I aim for end of quarter, but end of year is the nonnegotiable deadline. I don't let the fun "advance" amount span more than what I could reimburse myself in a single year - if I need more, I do wait until I've saved it up-front. It's worked well for me so far :))

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For many, many years the most expensive piece of jewelry I'd bought myself cost less than one month's mortgage payment. I just didn't buy expensive jewelry early in my career. Nice jewelry, yes... but the diamonds didn't come until later.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1436465186|3900902 said:
Dancing Fire|1436428834|3900738 said:

Pretty much! :lol:

Although a lot of ladies on PS have lucrative careers themselves.
Who's available?.. :naughty:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1436439225|3900768 said:
:errrr: ..I ran out of patience with my wife.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i buy my own pieces and they are usually a combination of all the birthday/valentines/ anniersary etc.

like all others have stated.....I keep a budget after the necessities. some will take longer than others.... some that i NEED NOW, and i put it on credit knowing that i will reach/ pay back that credit within a few months.

some tax refunds have helped :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results