shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you feel about sushi?

Do you like sushi?

• Yes, I absolutely LOVE it!!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Don''t know, I''ve never tried it, but I''d like to.

• Don''t know, I''ve never tried it, and I probably never will!

• I don''t do fish of any sort.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I love sushi! I''m an equal opportunity sushi eater, too. I like and eat cheap sushi as well as the expensive, nice stuff. I really don''t have a problem with grocery store sushi or buffet sushi or whatever. But I''ve never been squeamish about food.

My favorites are anything with any kind of tuna, any sort of avocado (I know it''s not traditional, but I just love avocados), and those ones with the fried soft shell crabs, too. I like it when there''s a lot of stuff in one bite, but I also like nigiri. I''m not a huge fan of eel...it always seems kind of tough to me. Not super psyched about the mayonnaisey kinds either, but will definitely eat it if it''s around.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Love sushi but I am picky about it. There are some that I won''t eat at all, like sea urchin and I don''t like the big salmon eggs ones. Plus no ama ebi for me (raw shrimp).

My husband is Japanese American so sushi is a standard thing for us. There is also quite a lot of veggie sushi that is really Japanese style, like Ume Shisho, Natto Roll and the egg topped one, I forget it''s name.

I love yellow tail and white tuna, spicy tuna, spider roll. Oh I am getting hungry!
4.gif

Sushi is excellent! If you have a chance to try some Fatty Tuna--also known as Otoro--DO IT. You will NOT be disappointed. Well, you could be, but its pretty good.

Also, for those of you wondering if you can claim to eat sushi if it isn't raw, not to worry, sushi is more a style of cooking and preparation method than it is about raw fish, check out this link:

Sushi explained by good ole Wiki

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
What a fun thread
1.gif

I adore sushi. I honestly think I''d DIE if there was a sushi ban. I especially like the raw fish varieties... the slimier and grosser, the better! My top fave is sea urchin roe nigiri sushi, which can sometimes leave my fellow diners green in the face just from looking at it.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE sushi! My favorite is unagi.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There wasn''t really a choice for "tried it but don''t care for it" instead of "blech,"...so I chose "blech" because I have tried it, but I didn''t "blech" it, LOL!

DH and I were treated by my SIL and BIL who are from the west coast and adore sushi, to a sushi dinner at a well-reputed place they frequent a couple years ago. This was before I became vegetarian, so I was game...I didn''t hate anything, and I tried everything they recommended, but I just didn''t care for it. It was a fun experience, though, and I''m so glad I tried it!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 5:02:17 PM
Author: Independent Gal
I''m craving sushi now too and was just thinking ''hey, why don''t [my friend I''m dining with tonight] and I go up the street to that great sushy place for dinner?'' and then I remembered I''m, like, 1000''s of miles away from the sushi place. At my dad''s house. Whoa, Weird. Ever forget where you are like that?
I''ve done that too, with my boyfriend, actually! Sometimes we''ll be talking about being in the mood to do something, like go out for ice cream (as the LIWs all know already
41.gif
), and we''ll say, "Awesome, I''ll pick you up in 10 minutes!" and then remember we live 3500 miles apart.
7.gif

PS: Dinner was good. *pats stomach*
18.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love sushi! I could definitely eat it every single day! However, I''m picky about it, too. The best sushi I''ve ever had in my life is from a hole in the wall place in one of those weird tow story strip malls in L.A. They only serve real sushi (according to them-I''m not super knowledgeable about sushi), no miso soup, salads or rolls at all! I usually order the chef''s special and they bring out the sushi one piece at a time. It''s ridiculously, INSANELY good! I could eat there for breakfast, lunch and dinner, no joke! I''d be poor, though...the chef''s special is at least $50 a person...I forget exactly how much it is.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I love it and a wonderful fishmonger and sushi bar has just opened at the market near my home .Y esterday when I was getting some vegtables for dinner the owner was giving away all the left over sushi. So Dh and I had fantastic gold band schnapper with petit salad with prawn king fish an salmon sushi for entree. Now that'' asmart customer serivice cos'' I''ll definitely be back to buy some sushi later.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Not crazy about seafood... I guess it's ok tasting but having an aunt working in public health (communicable diseases and food poisoning) I heard some nasty stories about sushi, etc.... I'm not gonna make a habit of eating anything that can give me worms!
14.gif
It's less likely at the finer restaurants but it still happens.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE Sushi! I can''t live without it!! We try to be good and limit our sushi intake to once every two weeks, it can be a little hard on the budget.

We love spicy rolls, but what is up with the wave of adding mayo to them? We were horrified when one of our favorite sushi restaurants suddenly switched to using mayo in the spicy rolls. It''s a very nasty surprise to get after the sushi you''ve been eagerly anticipating all week shows up and it''s inedible! DH thinks California is to blame for the mayo.
20.gif

I think one of my favorite rolls is the one with shrimp tempura, cucumber, spicy tuna, and eel sauce. yumm! Ok, now I want sushi..
18.gif

So for the PSers in LA, Have any of you tried this sushi restaurant in West LA/Santa Monica off of Sawtelle blvd? I can''t remember the name, but I''ve been going to it every since it was literally a hole in the wall place (back when I lived in LA). I still go everytime I''m in town. It''s next to a Japanese market, with valet parking, only takes cash, and there''s usually something of a wait for a table. Ring any bells? It''s driving me nuts that I can''t remember.
33.gif

35.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 3:28:14 PM
Author: kcoursolle
love it love it love it!!! However, only when it''s fresh. No prepackaged grocery store sushi for me. There is a night and day difference between fresh and non-fresh sushi.
I know what you mean, however, I am fortunate enough to have Whole Foods & Super Target stores that actually make the sushi fresh each day. There have been times when I have gone to Target while they were making it and they prepared sushi fresh for me, it was so good. You really have to be careful though, not all stores make sushi same day. Quite often, they have it shipped in prepackaged from questionable origins.

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
Maybe you were thinking of "Hide Sushi" in Los Angeles?

You write your name on the board, and they have an ATM inside ''cause they only take cash. I used to go there a lot for cheap sushi, but their quality and rice to fish ratio seems to have declined a bit lately.

For really amazing sushi, but not cheap (i.e. at least $50 pp to eat well and not feel constrained), "Kiriko" across the streat is awesome. I passed that place for like 3 years before finally trying.

yeewl

Shiny_Rock
I love sushi very much...

especially sashimi like salmon, tuna aka maguro, tuna belly where all the fatty juicy meats mmmmm...just thinking and typing at the same time makes my mouth waters.. :razz:

I will be going back to spore and visit my folks late nov...1st place to head in is a sushi (rotation belt) bar and eat till i drop... yum yum

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we have this amazing sushi place near us that specializes in rolls and super fresh sashimi, so good. raw is only good if the quality and the place is top notch. i don't mean expensive either, i have had really expensive yet crappy sashimi, blah! i only love raw maguro and sake for the most part. the rolls i love for sure though....the place near us does more unique rolls with spicy tuna (no mayo though, just spices and tuna chopped up) and papaya sauce, mango sauce, spicy wasabi sauce, rolls topped with shredded coconut, etc...soooo yummy. i am not really that into california rolls or philly or any of the rolls that almost all sushi places have now that i have had these other rolls. i'm ruined forever! in fact i a hoping to get over there this wkd!!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 6:18:23 PM
Author: Sparkster
I love Sushi - my favourite being salmon sushi. When I was a kid I loved fish but back then the though of eating raw fish was disgusting, but I tried it one day and loved it. I thought it would taste, welll, fishy, but it didn''t at all. Especially with a hint of soy sauce and wasabi on it.

My absolute favourite is sashimi though. I could eat it every day but my purse strings won''t allow it!

My pet peeve is when people refer to california rolls as ''sushi''. Aaaarrrrgghhhh.
I just had sushi for lunch so this post caught my eye....Sparkster I agree 1000%! I feel like I wrote this post myself!
36.gif

Except I learned to like sushi the hard way....on a first date with a guy I REALLY liked, trying to look cool, telling him, "yeah of course I have had sushi before!" I almost gagged. Tears streaming down my face, I choked and told him I swallowed wrong. it was the smooth feel that had me all disgusted. Then one more bite when he went got up for a call, and I started to not gag. Then I ate more and thought, "hmmm, this isn''t too bad!" ...now I adore it.

But rolls do nothing for me. Maybe it''s the seaweed. Sashimi and rice, with a hint of wasabi in my soy sauce...dear Lord I''m HAPPY!
30.gif

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
I love sushi! I eat pretty much everything except tako (octopus), mackerel, and this other fatty white fish that they have in a bowl of Chirashi (its not yellowtail-- thats my favorite). I actually like sea urchin and salmon roe, I don''t have issues with fishyness. However, I despise California rolls (sorry everyone). I don''t like imitation crab at all. I also love Inari. FI''s mom makes it with pickled ginger, shredded carrots and daikon radish mixed in with the rice so its extra special.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
really dig it. i don''t think i could eat it every day, but close!

having a good neighborhood sushi joint is key.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Yum!
18.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Love love love sushi...as soon as I have this baby...I''m headed to the new sushi bar by my house for some sashimi & a martini!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I love fish, but I''m not a huge fan of sushi. I don''t really care for the rolls -- probably the seaweed. I can eat a couple of California rolls (with the cucumber poked out because I''m allergic) or tuna/spicy tuna rolls, but could not make a whole meal of them. I love tuna sashimi as an appetizer. Of course, I also love beef carpaccio, and tuna or beef tartare -- I''m just very careful where I order it.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I love sushi. My faves are Uni (sea urchin), Sake (salmon), Toro (fatty tuna), and ama ebi (raw shrimp). But I would eat all the raw fish and shellfish nigiri, and I like the specialty rolls mostly for the avocado. I like the beef carpaccio that some Japanese restaurants have. I can probably eat sushi everyday. I was eating sushi for lunch two or three times a week with my sister when she was in college.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results