shape
carat
color
clarity

House Remodel - Appliances and Fixtures?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jo

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I know this is a diamond site (for which I have gleaned tons of info), but it seems there's a lot of talk about everything else, so here goes....

My husband and I are planning to spiff up our house and could sure use some help. In fact if there's another home remodeling type forum please let me know. Anyway, we're starting on our master bath and moving on to the kitchen.

Has anyone used bathroom faucets and shower fixtures they love? We're going with a cottage style like the Restoration Hardware or Waterworks look. I've checked out Kohler (good reputation) but am not crazy about their faucet styles. Has anyone heard of a company called Watermark? I want to chat about shower glass too.

If anyone is at all into this I'll go on into the kitchen.

I need to research like I did on this site for my diamond E ring.

Thanks!

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
I don''t like my glass shower.

It''s a pain to keep the glass clean. Soap film builds up if you don''t squeegee the glass practically every time you are in there.

The shower is so enclosed by the glass it doesn''t get good airflow which means water takes a long time to dry in there. Mildew is a constant battle.

I''m thinking one day of remodeling the bathroom and the next time I''m getting something which is made of tile and closes with a shower curtain.

I have Kohler fixtures . I''m very happy with them - especially the temperature regulating shower fixture.

You can get hot water in the shower without having to have the shower going "full blast" because both temperature and water flow are regulated separately.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
We just ordered a Kohler bathtub, sink, and toilet for our remodel-in-process. I agree about their faucets. I didn''t find any I like either. I ended up getting American Standard faucets. I''ve never heard of Watermark, but that doesn''t mean anything. I thought American Standard had the best selection of styles without being insanely expensive. Hope that helps.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
First, if you are doing a remodel where you are breaking the wall,you might want to think about the shower valve. The shower valve will make or break you. I purchased a Kohler High Flow valve and I'm LOVING it.
I also did a remodel recently, and went with Kohler and Price Pfister.
Price Pfister is crap. But pretty. I will never do price pfister again.
The Kohler is in the shower.

I used to have reasonably priced Home Depot brand fixtures- in their "brushed nickel" It is not a real brushed nickel but is a brushed steel. Now that I have actual brushed nickel, I HATE IT. It gets black with fingerprints and water stains. It SUCKS.
The Home Depot brand was never ever ever dirty and it was still very pretty. It's called the Pegasus Brand. I would do that brand before spending more on more expensive brands.

I went for a retro look with Hex tile and subway tile. I'm very pleased in general.

Oh, one more thing, I love love love Ginger Co fixtures (like shower baskets, hooks, etc). They are really expensive (like $200 for a soap dish holder) but they are AMAZING quality.

I'm also not a fan of glass doors only bc I don't like to clean. I have an old fashioned stand up shower and a sep tub...The shower has a Ginger Co rod and plastic curtain that sounds cheezy but I love it...

Here are some pix. Please take pix of your project!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-bathroom-pix-almost-done.27775/

Some manu of the cottage and old fashioned styles are

Cifial
Harrington Brass
Newport Brass
Mico
Delta Victorian line
And the Home Depo Pegasus line which I actually like compared to $500 faucets!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
MMM -- love the bathroom! The one we''re redoing is quite small as well. What kind of tiles do you have on the floor? Do you think it would be weird or impractical to do hardwood on the floor? It''s not uncommon in powder rooms where there isn''t a shower, but I wonder about doing it in a full bathroom.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
we have moen and kohler fixtures in our house except for one, and that''s the sink in the kitchen which is about to be torn right out. It''s called Glacier Bay and it''s garbage.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a Moen faucet in our marster bathroom and it''s brass and isn''t holding up well at all.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks D!
The floor tiles are an octagon dot from Guocera. The shower is mosaic 1" hex that matches..both matt white.

I would have LOVED to do 2" hex all over but my contractor sucked so I switched to plan B.

As for wood in the bathroom, I LOVE wood floors. Bamboo is the wood used mostly in the bathrooms. It has a natural resistance to H2o but does contract and expand from humidity but so much less that other woods. It's one of the only harwoods suitable for this application! You just still can't let water stand on it...You'll also have to seal it well. If comes in all diff widths and finishes. On Divine Design, it was used in the shower :0
As a matter of fact, Home Expo by me was making a sample bathroom with bamboo. Wood floors plus some kind of light tile on the shower floor = amazing!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My family has never had luck with brass anything, they buy chrome for everything as do we and it holds up perfectly.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
my thoughts re the glass shower, i love them! we also hate to clean it but we squeeguee it after every use and it keeps it looking pretty nice. also for air flow we leave the bathroom fan on for about 20 min after the shower and leave the shower door open so it can dry out.

having done shower curtains and other methods, i really like the glass showers for a finished look. our other bathroom has a curtain, it''s the guest bath so it''s rarely used and imo it''s perfect for that. but we love our master glass shower. it just takes a bit of maintenance.

though it also depends on your ''theme'' for the bathroom, glass showers are more modern IMO so it may not work depending on what the rest of the bathroom will look like!

we have kohler faucets and love them.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I bet you could get some really beautiful cottagie looking frosted or bubble glass for a door! That would look great with less maintenance.. I'm actually really happy we didn't go glass though but that's b/c of our unusual set up....Very hard to explain, but you slide the curtain over and it disappears from view...so it keeps everything open with no maintenance! Not to mention that it does, in fact, look very finished...I'm sure you didn't mean to imply otherwise mara...
2.gif

Ame- Im surprised you guys have had bad experience with brass.- You're not talking brass v. chrome finish right? I'm talking solid brass fixtures (which also come in chrome finish and matt nickel finish and gold etc) v. steel. Brass is much stronger and more durable and used in really high quality fixtures and plumbing parts...(but again, I just went with cheaper fixtures for this place)...it's a lot more expensive. That's what I think at least. Who the hells knows. I'm certainly no expert...For example, we got a steel shower drain and we stepped on it and it bent right away. I then paid 3X as much (still cheap) for solid brass (satin nickel finish) and it is super strong.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Curtain, what curtain? LOL It's hidden to the left! I love it. Best of both worlds. But def not practical in modern bathrooms. This place was built in the 30s.
(don't mind my linen closet open)

curtain.jpg

Jo

Shiny_Rock
WOW, I''m so excited I can bounce ideas off you all!

tanuki and Mara - I will have the same situation with the enclosed glass / no air circulation. Guess will have to use the squeeguee and fan. Of course, training my husband will be another story
2.gif

moremoremore - Your bathroom is beautiful! I''ve heard that nickel can be a bit harder to maintain as it can discolor with ammonia. Polished chrome is the most durable finish although shows water marks. I''m planning on the same white staggered brick tiles for the shower. Are yours 3 x 6 inches? Where did you get them?

I''m planning a carerra 2 inch hex for the floor (not the shower). How does the carerra hold up? I understand it can be a more porous stone. I''m in LOVE with the look.

I''m attaching the faucet I want to use. My husband just advised if no one knows what it is, better buy a spare for parts up the road (haha).

Faucet.jpg

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I have a tip for keeping the glass shower doors clean. I use those little white Mr. Clean sponges. Those things work like a miracle. I''ve never had anything that would cut the build up in my shower like those do. About once a week, wipe down the glass with one of those and they look absolutely clean.

Jo

Shiny_Rock
Suzi - If you use the Mr Clean sponges once a week, do you not squeegee in between?

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2005 8:19:27 PM
Author: Jo
Suzi - If you use the Mr Clean sponges once a week, do you not squeegee in between?
I don''t even own an squeegee.
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OHHHHH JOOOOO!!! I'm going to get upset LOL :)
You're doing it RIGHT!!!! Not like my small beans bathroom LOL :)

I LOVE LOVE LLLLLLLLOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEE marble hex flooring. To say I love it is an understatement.
This doesn't show up well...but if you scroll down, you'll see white carrera 2" hex. I have this site as a favorite LOL
http://www.stonesource.com/stone_mosaic_tiles.html
I almost got 2" marble hex but I decided against it. It is definitely high maintenance and has to be sealed and is very very slippery (so I've heard)...but it's in all the design mags so people *are* using it.

Yes, that is 3X6 subway tile. I initially ordered some more expensive shiny white but changed my mind and went matte. I used American Olean. I think it's way better quality and cheaper so still fit my lousy budget LOL... I used Bella Tile in NYC and plain ol Home Depot. If I had the budget, I would have used Stratfordtileworks or Iron Gate Tile from the Meredith Collection (Subwaytile.com)... Simply beautful cap trim! Bella Tile also has so many diff kinds of marble hex!
http://www.bellatilenyccom.verizonsupersite.com/floors2/view.nhtml?profile=floors2&UID=44

you have to take pix when it's done. I will drool all over this lap top ... the faucet is amazing. The style I WISH I picked...You have some great taste!
30.gif

Jo

Shiny_Rock
moremoremore - Thanks for the leads. Wish I lived in NY, but I''m in Calif.

Did you get your American Olean subway tile from Home Depot? It really looks great! I never would have guessed you had a budget. Hate budgets
8.gif
. I may have to go that direction to save some $$. It all adds up.

How is the white carerra counter or is it tub deck holding up?

BTW, love the towels with the embroidered bees. Where are they from? Too cute!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I have brass & glass shower doors...they''re okay--they are art deco--no frosted swans or anything.
2.gif
I like curtains too-in our condo, we redid the bath with dark and light peach tumbled Italian granite tiles and I found a gorgoes raw silk shower curtain at Fortunoff''s that was the EXACT shdae of light terra cotta of the lighter tile...FABU!

Hey, I am doing some upgrading to my upstairs bath and want to get brass faucets (installing granite countertops)...what''s the issue with them? Are they bad? Everything else is brass in there....
33.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
J-Fo,there are absolutely no problems with brass construction (ie the metal) or even brass finish (yellow) that I know of...I think Ame just meant her family bad experiences with it. I know people who have brass finish and it works just fine indeed! :)
I think your ideas sound wonderful!

Jo- thanks for the compliment...But I have a feeling your renovation will be truly amazing!
I was wrong, the field tile (3X6) is Daltile and the trim is American Olean (both matte white) Dal didn't make a cap trim...

Oh yeah, and the counter is ok. Not great. Ok. It was sealed but still, if you put anything on it that's wet, then you get rings that sink deep down. It's pretty, but high maintenance...

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
When we were remodeling our kitchen, I became obsessed with this forum called www.gardenweb.com. They have a home forum, which includes kitchen remodeling. It''s like the crack for the kitchen remodeling world like PS is the crack for diamond addicts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results