carat
color
clarity

House Democrats Stage Sit-In For Gun Control

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1466790551|4047610 said:
momhappy|1466790078|4047602 said:
I don't have my knickers in a knot and I'm sorry if I haven't been very good at expressing myself. I enjoy participating, but it can be challenging when debates seem to get one-sided. These types of issues can get pretty heavy and it's probably best for me to take a step back and visit SMTB :D

You've been great at expressing the American Thinker though.

Yes, I read the article (and others on the subject) and I agree with much of it. The Orlando shooter was not on a terror watch list and that represents a problem. I fully agree that someone who is on a watch list should not have the ability to legally purchase a gun, but how does the government decide who gets put on that list? That's the scary part for me and it raises red flags.
I'm really not trying get dragged back into a debate. I enjoy the discussion, but it's an issue that's complicated and I don't feel that I express myself very well.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1466786676|4047553 said:
Calliecake|1466786063|4047546 said:
momhappy|1466785130|4047535 said:
Amber St. Clare|1466783822|4047524 said:
C-4|1466740857|4047404 said:
Calliecake|1466695262|4047108 said:
I keep thinking at some point common sense has to kick in with Republicans. It never happens. The NRA has bought that party. If 20 children losing their life didn't wake them up...nothing will. It would be interesting to see if they still felt this way had one of their children were killed by an assault rifle.

In Sandy Hook, the killer obtained his guns by first killing his mother which, if I recall correctly, is illegal to do in all 50 states. She owned all the guns lawfully and had to abide by Connecticut's strict Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) that mirrored the now expired federal AWB (1994-2004). Had any of the teachers or the principle been armed that day, they could have stopped him. Disarming yourself only makes you an easier target/victim.

Pink Pistols, a LGBT gun rights advocacy group's response to Orlando has been to step up its campaign to arm and teach gays to defend themselves with a firearm. It's very difficult to bash or kill a gay person when they're shooting at you!

What in the world did Nancy Lanza need with assault rifles in the first place? Jesus Tap Dancing Christ the answer to gun violence is NOT more guns.

eta: Wednesday night was the first time in a long time that I was proud to be an American.

Assault-style weapons are considered to be the weapon of the common soldier - much like the musket was during the Revolutionary War era when James Madison argued for armed citizenry. Civilian-owned assault rifles can defend against rioters (think L.A. riots where police were instructed to stay away from the area for hours and 911 calls went unanswered), home invasions, and they act as a system of checks and balances to prevent tyranny. In the hands of law-abiding citizens, they represent an American value of self-reliance. I respect the rights of those who choose to own assault rifles and just like we are asked to not judge all Muslims by the actions of a few, I would expect the same sort of tolerance for gun owners. I am not surprised, however, that it doesn't work that way.

How can you possibly expect people with common sense to agree with you. Sorry what you are saying above is just insane to many of us. Unless you are fighting in a war there is no need for an assault rifle. You do not need an assualt rifle to protect your family. I'm thinking you need to stop drinking the Fox News Koolaid.

Let me guess, you are also a Trump supporter. You gave said many times on here you don't support a Trump but it's pretty obvious will be getting your vote in November.

So you assume that because I am pro-gun that I must be a Trump supporter and that I watch Fox News. Interesting. Your response is typical and a perfect example of why the gun debate continues to go absolutely nowhere.
I don't expect anyone to agree with me. My opinions are my own and I don't feel it's my job to try to change the opinions of others.

Yes I do. I find it interesting that you feel I am against guns. I own a few guns. I would also give them up. I don't believe more guns are the answer. I won't be voting for Trump and I never watch Fox News. I also feel I should have reproductive rights for my own body.

My only hope is you have your guns locked in a gun safe with the bullets stored and locked in another area of the house. You have mentioned many times you have young children. If you have your guns stored in a safe manor I'm not sure how much they will help you when the robber or Isis break into your home. Last time I checked they usually don't announce the date and time they will be arriving at your home.

I also realize nothing I write here will change your mind. Just hoping you are being responsible with your guns so your children are safe.
I realize your children are none of my concern but I truly feel bad anytime I hear of an innocent child dying because their parents felt it was fine to leave a gun loaded in an unlocked place in their home. The news shows I watch report these types of things happening all the time. I don't believe they are accidents and believe they are caused by stupid adults.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1466792312|4047627 said:
momhappy|1466786676|4047553 said:
Calliecake|1466786063|4047546 said:
momhappy|1466785130|4047535 said:
Amber St. Clare|1466783822|4047524 said:
I keep thinking at some point common sense has to kick in with Republicans. It never happens. The NRA has bought that party. If 20 children losing their life didn't wake them up...nothing will. It would be interesting to see if they still felt this way had one of their children were killed by an assault rifle.

In Sandy Hook, the killer obtained his guns by first killing his mother which, if I recall correctly, is illegal to do in all 50 states. She owned all the guns lawfully and had to abide by Connecticut's strict Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) that mirrored the now expired federal AWB (1994-2004). Had any of the teachers or the principle been armed that day, they could have stopped him. Disarming yourself only makes you an easier target/victim.

Pink Pistols, a LGBT gun rights advocacy group's response to Orlando has been to step up its campaign to arm and teach gays to defend themselves with a firearm. It's very difficult to bash or kill a gay person when they're shooting at you!

What in the world did Nancy Lanza need with assault rifles in the first place? Jesus Tap Dancing Christ the answer to gun violence is NOT more guns.

eta: Wednesday night was the first time in a long time that I was proud to be an American.

Assault-style weapons are considered to be the weapon of the common soldier - much like the musket was during the Revolutionary War era when James Madison argued for armed citizenry. Civilian-owned assault rifles can defend against rioters (think L.A. riots where police were instructed to stay away from the area for hours and 911 calls went unanswered), home invasions, and they act as a system of checks and balances to prevent tyranny. In the hands of law-abiding citizens, they represent an American value of self-reliance. I respect the rights of those who choose to own assault rifles and just like we are asked to not judge all Muslims by the actions of a few, I would expect the same sort of tolerance for gun owners. I am not surprised, however, that it doesn't work that way.

How can you possibly expect people with common sense to agree with you. Sorry what you are saying above is just insane to many of us. Unless you are fighting in a war there is no need for an assault rifle. You do not need an assualt rifle to protect your family. I'm thinking you need to stop drinking the Fox News Koolaid.

Let me guess, you are also a Trump supporter. You gave said many times on here you don't support a Trump but it's pretty obvious will be getting your vote in November.

So you assume that because I am pro-gun that I must be a Trump supporter and that I watch Fox News. Interesting. Your response is typical and a perfect example of why the gun debate continues to go absolutely nowhere.
I don't expect anyone to agree with me. My opinions are my own and I don't feel it's my job to try to change the opinions of others.

Yes I do. I find it interesting that you feel I am against guns. I own a few guns. I would also give them up. I don't believe more guns are the answer. I won't be voting for Trump and I never watch Fox News. I also feel I should have reproductive rights for my own body.

My only hope is you have your guns locked in a gun safe with the bullets stored and locked in another area of the house. You have mentioned many times you have young children. If you have your guns stored in a safe manor I'm not sure how much they will help you when the robber or Isis break into your home. Last time I checked they usually don't announce the date and time they will be arriving at your home.

I also realize nothing I write here will change your mind. Just hoping you are being responsible with your guns so your children are safe.
I realize your children are none of my concern but I truly feel bad anytime I hear of an innocent child dying because their parents felt it was fine to leave a gun loaded in an unlocked place in their home. The news shows I watch report these types of things happening all the time. I don't believe they are accidents and believe they are caused by stupid adults.

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that it is critically important to be responsible about ownership (keeping them secure in a gun safe, etc.) if one chooses to own them.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1466792312|4047627 said:
I own a few guns. I would also give them up. I don't believe more guns are the answer.

Yes this.

Callie, people like us confound both of the extremes.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
C-4|1466768522|4047470 said:
AGBF|1466761975|4047455 said:

Pink Pistols a LGBT gun rights advocacy group's response to Orlando has been to step up its campaign to arm and teach gays to defend themselves with a firearm.[/b] It's very difficult to bash or kill a gay person when they're shooting at you!

A shootout in in every kindergarten, bar, and restaurant is the right way to go. Thank you for joining two days ago so that you could bring us this piece of wisdom.

You need to get out your reading glasses. My join date is 06/22/2015, a full year ago. Israel arms it's schoolteachers and it has worked out for them just fine.

I apologize for getting you join date wrong. Although I am old, one thing I do not need is reading glasses. I am nearsighted and cannot see large things even if they are close to me; I can, however, read the smallest print. I must have been snoozing when I looked at your join date.

I do not know if you are correct about Israel arming its school teachers. It would not be a bad idea for Israel to do so, however, given the state of constant warfare in which it lives.

Israelis are not like Americans, however. Every Israeli schoolteacher is also an Israeli IDF veteran (either army or air force). That person has had extensive weapons training and carried his weapon with him constantly for the entire time he was in the service-with live ammunition-unlike in the United States. Israeli adults know how to treat fire arms. They do not engage in mass shootings of their own kindergartens, bars, and restaurants the way that we do.

More loose weapons in the United States would only mean more crazies shooting at each other.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IIRC all opinions are welcome on PS so don't apologize momhappy.

Since these measures as demanded by the sit-downers would not have passed the House (even by many dems) it was indeed just a show. Neither will either passed measure get through the Senate. I am a 2A supporter but favor background checks and a hold on a gun purchase for anyone on a no-fly or terrorist watch list. However, due process must be afforded to those who have a hold placed within a reasonable (not undefined) time frame. We already have background checks and anti 2A people attempt to deceive the populace by telling them there are gun-show loopholes or you can get guns on the internet. Neither of these things are true. I have purchased a pistol on the internet but it was sent by an FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer to my local FFL dealer for transfer to me. Meaning I have to do all the same paperwork as if I just went into the store to buy it. Part of that process is to call the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to ensure that I am eligible to buy it. Any FFL dealer at a gun show must do the same process to transfer a weapon to a buyer. The only difference at a gun show is a private party purchase between two people which does not have a requirement to report the sale. Adding this requirement to private party purchases will do nothing to stem criminals getting guns - do you actually think they would report a transaction?

So many have no idea about weapons but because they abhor any type of gun or people's ownership of them they repeat ridiculously inaccurate information or what is contrary to the Constitution/Bill of Rights intent. The AWB of 1994 did not have a significant reduction in gun crime (maybe none as gun related crimes was already trending down) and according to the FBI a minimal 1% of homicides are with a rifle of any kind. It has been found in studies by the CDC that gun deaths are 60% suicides, and 80% of the rest are gang/criminal related (Chicago???). Terror attacks like Orlando are tragic and hurt my heart to the core but gun control is not the answer to them. These horrific crimes will happen even if all guns are confiscated from law abiding citizens. Do you actually think criminals will turn theirs in?

For the person who said earlier that maybe they should just get an M-16 - those are actually illegal for you to own as they are a military only weapon. No new civilian fully automatic weapons have been manufactured since 1986 so the supply is finite and they cost $20k and up. This was because of the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 27 CFR 479.105 (d). In order to buy one of these limited weapons you must undergo a many month background check to obtain a Class 3 license, pay a big $ tax stamp fee, and make the weapon available to any BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives) agent at any time.

Our country and the world may have progressed exponentially beyond muskets in the last 200+ years but the idea of the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or sport. I do not live in fear of my government but am prepared to protect my family from any catastrophic occurrence that would turn our society into chaos. If the power grid went down in southern California for any extended period of time I fear for those that live in dense population centers because your riots from recent memory are nothing compared to what you would endure from those panicking in the streets. And if you think I am crazy then you are naive. I urge everyone to be prepared for extended emergencies. For me being armed is just part of that preparedness. I am also prepared for any lone crazy person or gang member or whatever other thing might threaten my or my family's safety.

Couple quotes I like:

“By calling attention to ‘a well regulated militia,’ ‘the security of the nation,’ and the right of each citizen ‘to keep and bear arms,’ our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy… The Second Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason I believe the Second Amendment will always be important.” ----John F. Kennedy, April 1960

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them." ----Justice Joseph Story (appointed to the Supreme Court by James Madison)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1466796615|4047686 said:
C-4|1466768522|4047470 said:
AGBF|1466761975|4047455 said:

Pink Pistols a LGBT gun rights advocacy group's response to Orlando has been to step up its campaign to arm and teach gays to defend themselves with a firearm.[/b] It's very difficult to bash or kill a gay person when they're shooting at you!

A shootout in in every kindergarten, bar, and restaurant is the right way to go. Thank you for joining two days ago so that you could bring us this piece of wisdom.

You need to get out your reading glasses. My join date is 06/22/2015, a full year ago. Israel arms it's schoolteachers and it has worked out for them just fine.

I apologize for getting you join date wrong. Although I am old, one thing I do not need is reading glasses. I am nearsighted and cannot see large things even if they are close to me; I can, however, read the smallest print. I must have been snoozing when I looked at your join date.

I do not know if you are correct about Israel arming its school teachers. It would not be a bad idea for Israel to do so, however, given the state of constant warfare in which it lives.

Israelis are not like Americans, however. Every Israeli schoolteacher is also an Israeli IDF veteran (either army or air force). That person has had extensive weapons training and carried his weapon with him constantly for the entire time he was in the service-with live ammunition-unlike in the United States. Israeli adults know how to treat fire arms. They do not engage in mass shootings of their own kindergartens, bars, and restaurants the way that we do.

More loose weapons in the United States would only mean more crazies shooting at each other.

Yes we cannot directly compare Israel and Israelis to the USA and Americans. I agree however we can learn much from Israel and they do what they must do for survival. However they are more knowledgeable about how to use these weapons and are trained to from a young age. I don't want to live as Israelis do though and the USA is not Israel.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results