shape
carat
color
clarity

House Buying and Sex Offenders...WWYD?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We put in an offer on a house. I love this house!!! It is an understatement to say that me loving a house is no minor feat. I have trouble liking houses. The house that I am currently living in took an act of God and viewing 53 houses to get here. In my defense, we bought when the market was flooded with foreclosures and most of the houses were really cruddy and damaged and we were buying VA. Houses had to pass a pest and that was difficult at that time.

Anyway, I love the house. The neighborhood is gorgeous. It feeds into one of the best high schools in the nation. It is right where I want to be.

One street over, less that a 1/10th of a mile away, is a sex offender. Someone who did date rape on a woman. Well, it said the person was unaware of what he did to them, so I am assuming he drugged his victim or did something to them while sleeping. The charge was forcible rape. He was released 5 years ago. They rate the likelihood of whether of not he will reoffend, and it said moderately high. We will never go down his street and he seems to live in a granny flat or private lane. He isn't on the main street.

Would you move to the house?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't, but that's because I have kids. If I didn't have kids, then I might consider it, but I'd make sure that I was careful about it (staying aware of my surroundings, installing a home security system, etc.). I would also want to know more about the particular incident - like did he force his way into a home and commit the crime, etc.?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1436977798|3903111 said:
I wouldn't, but that's because I have kids. If I didn't have kids, then I might consider it, but I'd make sure that I was careful about it (staying aware of my surroundings, installing a home security system, etc.). I would also want to know more about the particular incident - like did he force his way into a home and commit the crime, etc.?
This is good advice. I'm on the other side, because I dont have kids, I would consider it. I wouldn't want to move into a neighborhood with a mod-high risk sex offender in the area with kids though.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I would google him and see if I can find the whole story. Court records will usually tell you, sometimes the local paper.

I think it's difficult to find a place today that doesn't have a sex offender somewhere nearby. If it was 30 years ago you would be blithely unaware if your next door neighbor committed a sex offense. Also, unless you keep track, they can move into your neighborhood at any time.

I doubt date rape would occur again if he's not dating you. It's not typical for a date rapist to become a rapist of an awake, active fighting-back woman with whom he's not acquainted. NOT trying to defend the a$$hole, just trying to be realistic and help you. If you have his picture, be sure to show it to any children that might be living with you. If you happen to see him in the street, do not talk to him, ever, for any reason.

Then move in, get window locks, deadbolts, and a security system, but realize that the chances of him deciding one night to "pick" your house is pretty slim. There are lots of other houses around, no reason it should be you in particular. Trim shrubs and trees back so there are no places to hide, particularly near windows, gates, doors.

Then I would move in, because for all you know, the guy might move in 6 months. And you'd have missed out on your dream home.

In my experience, I've had plenty of weird neighbors (one who said she dreamed of killing me, putting me in a plastic bag and taking my husband and house!) who didn't come with a handy warning label.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I would be OK moving in with or without kids.

When i was a kid, a sex offender moved in down the street from us. My parents weren't really in a position to move so they showed us what he looked like, told us never to go near him, and tell them right away if he ever did try to talk to us. We were terrified of him so it worked out. I do think that there are many people out there who do bad things who have never been caught. There could be a sex offender next door to any house and you would never know it. Victims don't come forward, can't give an accurate description, or don't remember an attack. I think it is important to teach stranger danger and take steps to be safe in your home regardless of whether a convicted sex offender lives nearby or not.

It sounds like this guy's mo is to drug his victim(s). He probably knew this woman. Never go near him.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel the way iLander and Chemgirl do.

I would not base my decision on that unless maybe the offender lived in the same building or right next door or something like that.

I don't have kids, but I think even if I did, I would move to the house. I'd show my kids (and their friends) pictures of the man, I'd drive by and show them the house he lives in, I'd tell them his name, etc.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
iLander is correct. When we bought our house we checked and there weren't any sex offenders in our neighborhood. The house across the street sold soon after we moved in and turned out to be purchased by a sex offender. I've met him once and he looks like an ordinary guy and seems nice enough. No way I would let a child out of my sight knowing how close he is though.

In my state there are laws against sex offenders living close to a school. If I really wanted to avoid a sex offender in my neighborhood, I'd buy close to a school. (I don't know if that's a local thing or nationwide)

I think you should buy your dream house and take normal precautions to avoid the perv.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat, We found ourselves in a situation where a sex offender moved into our neighborhood. I was able to find out the whole story of what happened by calling the city where the rape took place. The city I live in police deparment was not very helpful until I let them know that by law they had to be honest with me as I am a victim of a violent crime. I am not sure if it would have been so easy to find out everything I did if I had not been the victim of a violent crime. One person did tell me that he had served his time and deserved some privacy. I ended up finding out everything I needed to know by reviewing court records and the initial police report. The crime occured in another state. He was charged and served jail time for sexually assaulting a girl who babysat his small children. The man only lived in our neighborhood for about a year and moved, which I have heard is not uncommon. Once the neighborhood finds out about his past, people usually want nothing to do with them or their families. News spreads like wildfire once a sex offender moves in the neighborhood. I live in a neighborhood of families. Everyone was really on edge and we all looked out for the children in our neighborhood especially close while he lived there.

Only you can decide what is best for you. I was extremely uncomfortable while this man lived in my neighborhood. I also had a hard time understanding how this person could afford a house that cost over $500,000.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My immediate response was don't buy!! But, then after a moment's thought, I remembered I did a search just last weekend, and there are two sex offenders within one mile of my house. A longer list in a three mile radius! The thing is, I won't parent any differently knowing these men are close by. If you live in a densely populated area, there isn't much you can do to avoid having sex offenders nearby. Also, keep in mind there are several issues with these registries. First, some offenders do not report, or they move and do not report their new location. In other words, the guy could be next door, and he wouldn't be on the list. Second, and I am not sure why/when this happens, but some offenders do not have to report forever. After a certain number of years, they drop off the list, so again, you could find another house, with no offenders within whatever radius you deem appropriate, and there could be multiple offenders nearby, of whom you are not aware and who no longer have to report.

So I'd buy the dream house. Good Luck!!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't think that it's fair to make assumptions here - in regards to things he may or may not have done, things he may or may not do in the future, etc. It's comes down to your comfort level and if you're okay living in the same neighborhood with a registered sex offender. Some of us may live next to criminals and not even know it, so simply being aware of this person (and their criminal record) is half the battle IMO. If it truly is your dream home, and you feel comfortable with the knowledge you have about the guy, then buy the house and take some safety precautions. I agree with the others about the fact that you probably shouldn't base an important decision like this one on the fact that he lives in the same neighborhood because he could leave tomorrow….

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
We purchased our last home and lived there for about 3 years. In the process of looking for a new one I was checking for registered sex offenders near the potential new homes, I also rechecked our street. At some point a man was registered directly across the street and over one house!!! I can't remember what the offense was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't violent or with kids. But....we never, ever, ever saw this man on the property. The home was owned by an elderly couple and our best guess is that he was a relative ( grandson maybe) due to the same last name, but we were 99% sure that he did not reside there. When we did sell, we were sure to inform the people who purchased our home as they had small children and the husband traveled frequently.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
We purchased our last home and lived there for about 3 years. In the process of looking for a new one I was checking for registered sex offenders near the potential new homes, I also rechecked our street. At some point a man was registered directly across the street and over one house!!! I can't remember what the offense was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't violent or with kids. But....we never, ever, ever saw this man on the property. The home was owned by an elderly couple and our best guess is that he was a relative ( grandson maybe) due to the same last name, but we were 99% sure that he did not reside there. When we did sell, we were sure to inform the people who purchased our home as they had small children and the husband traveled frequently.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I'd buy without hesitation. If I owned my dream home and a sex offender later moved to the neighborhood I wouldn't move. You have no way to prevent the scenario I've mentioned in any other home you purchase. May as well get the one you love.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, I'd buy the house. There are sex offenders (and other violent or anti social offenders) pretty much every where you could live, mostly undetected. At least this one had been caught and is on the radar. He was likely to be more dangerous before he was known for what he is.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1436991947|3903229 said:
Yes, I'd buy the house. There are sex offenders (and other violent or anti social offenders) pretty much every where you could live, mostly undetected. At least this one had been caught and is on the radar. He was likely to be more dangerous before he was known for what he is.

Ditto. They're pretty much everywhere these days, especially if you live in a highly populated area. There's no way to avoid it. If you love the house, buy the house.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very surprised by the responses! I thought for sure that everyone would tell me to run!

I called the police and they told me that they couldn't give me the details of this person's charges. He said that what is on the megan's law website is what they have. When I asked about the charges posted, he said that it was most likely a date rape situation, but that if he had knocked the person out first and then tried to rape him/her, assault charges would have been added, but wouldn't be posted on the megan's law website because only sexual charges are posted!

I followed ilander's advice and google'd him (thank you). He showed up on mugshot.com. This showed ALL of the charges of the crime. He tried to rape an acquaintance who wasn't aware that he/she was being raped. This sounds like date rape. He wasn't successful, the charge is attempted rape.

The police stated that his date of assessment, 2010 was the date of his release. He hasn't been caught reoffending.

Ironically, checking my current address reveals a violent rapist less than 1/10th of a mile away. Someone who successfully completed his task.

I think I am good with moving into the house. We do the whole security system, owning dogs, know our neighbors, locks everywhere, do whatever we can to stay safe in our home thing. Now, how to keep this from being the catalyst for my gun-happy husband from fulfilling his dreams of having a handgun in our home... :( :( :(

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on finding your dream home, Cat. Agree that PP gave you good advice.
Most don't know that it is easy to get on the list. More are guilty of being stupid than dangerous--teen lovers, a hookup with someone lying about her age, an online chat with a police officer pretending to be 15, urinating in public, etc. I certainly don't approve of those behaviors, but, unfortunately, the registry doesn't do a very good job letting you know whether or not you should be worried. The list would be more useful if it only included the child molesters and the rapists, imo.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would still buy it. I know this is the opposite of comforting, but think about just how many sex offenders are NOT convicted - in fact, just how many are never even charged with anything or even reported. ANYWHERE you live could be near a sex offender, even a violent one. I mean, when I lived in the dorms in college, I lived in a hallway with people I knew who drugged and raped girls, some of my best friends were suitemates with a serial date rapist (reported - nothing happened), I had a professor who tried to blackmail me into having sex with him (I reported him - he still teaches at the university, whateverrrrrrr - on consideration I don't know that "blackmail" is the right word, but I was having difficulty with the material and he refused to answer my questions and then offered an, uh, alternative solution, which resulted in me dropping the class and not getting that minor since the class was required for it), etc - crummy people are everywhere, and you should always be on guard for them anyway. None of the people above are registered to my knowledge. I wouldn't let the fact that one of them actually got caught stop you from a house you might really like.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would buy it. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely go ahead with the purchase of your dream home. No matter where you live there will be criminals nearby and many of them with no known record so at least you know to steer clear of this person. There is no really 100% safe place where there are no bad people. Good luck and congratulations on finding your dream home! :appl:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1436998601|3903277 said:
I am very surprised by the responses! I thought for sure that everyone would tell me to run!

I called the police and they told me that they couldn't give me the details of this person's charges. He said that what is on the megan's law website is what they have. When I asked about the charges posted, he said that it was most likely a date rape situation, but that if he had knocked the person out first and then tried to rape him/her, assault charges would have been added, but wouldn't be posted on the megan's law website because only sexual charges are posted!

I followed ilander's advice and google'd him (thank you). He showed up on mugshot.com. This showed ALL of the charges of the crime. He tried to rape an acquaintance who wasn't aware that he/she was being raped. This sounds like date rape. He wasn't successful, the charge is attempted rape.

The police stated that his date of assessment, 2010 was the date of his release. He hasn't been caught reoffending.

Ironically, checking my current address reveals a violent rapist less than 1/10th of a mile away. Someone who successfully completed his task.

I think I am good with moving into the house. We do the whole security system, owning dogs, know our neighbors, locks everywhere, do whatever we can to stay safe in our home thing. Now, how to keep this from being the catalyst for my gun-happy husband from fulfilling his dreams of having a handgun in our home... :( :( :(

Sounds good, House Cat =) You've done your homework and you follow safety precautions anyways… How exciting that you may have found a fabulous, new home! Please keep us posted.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely I would buy the house.

Violent people are everywhere. If you didn't buy a house because there were violent people close by, you would have no houses to buy.

Would I have a glass of wine with the guy at the block party? No. Would I open my door to him? No.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results