shape
carat
color
clarity

Homemade skin remedies catch all thread

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I thought I'd start a thread for homemade skin remedies that we've discovered and loved over the years. To keep things simple, please separately list the skin mallady/problem clearly, the remedy, and the result.

Please try to keep your suggestions to things you've actually tried and found successful, and things that are relatively benign/harmless for safety reasons.I'm no doctor and don't want to mislead anyone otherwise. :read: Please use your best judgement when trying suggested remedies, keep your allergies and medical histories in mind. Please check with your doctor on anything you're not sure about.
That said, here's my first suggestion:

Mallady/problem: Mild Acne

Remedy: Aspirin mask - crush 3 aspirin to a powder, add a quarter to a half teaspoon of water and a couple drops of honey (for moisture) and mix until a loose paste. Apply topicly, and gently massage into acne prone areas. Leave on for 10 minutes and rinse off. Can be left on longer if needed. I've slept in it before and experienced no ill effects.

Result: Dries blemishes so they recede or brings them to the surface for easy popping.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Malady/problem: Feet covered with fire ant bites

Remedy: Vinegar, plain, white

Result: This was the only thing I got any relief from. My doctor refused to even see me or phone in a prescription for 2% cortisone.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Malady: canker sore inside mouth

Remedy: alum powder (spice aisle)

Result: dries up sore after minimal amount of "pickling" or stinging sensation.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
Malady: eczema (atopic and dyshrotic) also for allergic reactions to bug bites (fleas in my case)

Remedy: in a travel sized spritz bottle, mix half bottle (I guess like 3-5 TBS) of coconut oil, and about 8-10 drops of organic tea tree oil.
Shake shake shake it up (vigorously)
Wipe area with witch hazel and spritz on oil.

Result: witch hazel will clean the affected area, coconut oil soothes and repairs the skin, keeping it hydrated (since skin gets so dry with eczema) and tea tree oil has antibacterial properties and has been known to stop itches.
*edited to add*
This will usually jump start the healing process for whatever skin blisters I have. The area be less inflamed, less itchy (so I pick at it less)
Before this, steroids were the only option
It works wonders for me, I always keep a bottle in my bathroom (and being in FL, my oil is always in liquid form)

Only downside is that you are bound to get oil on stuff..aka bed sheets. But if you suffer like I do (and most recently with the fleas since we live e in a wooded area! Omg!) Its almost worth its weight in gold!

*some people react quite strongly to tea tree oil. I'd recommend starting weak and adding more.

-kel

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Already loving this thread! I will absolutely try the alum powder for canker sores. And, I forwarded the eczema remedy to my aunt! Will keep the fire ant bites solution in mind - hopefully won't ever have to use it, but will be prepared if I do!

Let's keep it going!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not exactly a malady but for smooth skin: cane sugar mixed with olive oil till wet. Rub on face in shower and rinse. Smooths skin and leaves it moisturized because of the olive oil. I do this twice a week.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results