clarity

Holiday Menu suggestions...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Recipes that were particularly amazing?

Products?
PLEASE POST THEM!

I have a product recommendation :
http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11896841&whse=BD_827&topnav=national&cat=95089&hierPath=11122*11277*95089*&lang=en-US

I've had honey baked. I've bought and shipped hams from you name it. And this is the BEST ham I have ever had or served.

And it is SO incredibly easy. Everything about it is perfect. No bone. Moist. And a fantastic glaze. And it is from Smithfield (that's who manufactures it for them). All you do is heat it and glaze it.

I've served it three times to crowds. At a brunch, at a wedding shower and at an extended family event. And EVERYONE has asked me for the recipe. And gotten only rave reviews.

During the holidays Costco sells it in their normal warehouses. In the non holiday season they sell it at their business warehouses.

Also there are a ton of great reviews for it on the web, you can do a search for it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For starter this year, I am going to have a baked mini Camembert/brie studded with garlic pieces, with crusty bread for dunking.

Very easy to make and tastes divine!

DK :))

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Gypsy!

Thank you for the ham recommendation. I LOVE a good ham, and am most times left wanting. ( a better ham, lol :bigsmile: ;)) ) So I am writing this one down. We don't have a Costco real close, but a friend belongs and frequents the one within driving distance so I will get her to get me one!

I have 3 recipes to share. One graces the table every Tday without exception. Not fancy, but one of the best pecan pies I have ever tasted, and I have tasted a lot. I judge every other pecan pie to this one. And others who love it love this one too. Can't claim the recipe, my SIL gave it to me.

Pecan Pie (don't be put off or fooled by the key ingredient)

Melt together in microwave:
1 stick butter (no subs)
1 c. white sugar
1 c. Mrs. Buttersworth pancake syrup ;))

Stir til well combined and beat in:
3 large egss
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. pecans (these can be chopped rough or whole halves. If halves I use about 1 1/2 c)

Mix well and pour into raw pie crust. I just use Pillsbury prepared pie crusts.

Bake at 325 for 50-60 minutes, til crust is golden brown.

Let cool completely. Better the next day.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The next two will most likely debut this Thanksgiving, I didn't have them til recently. This first one is for roasted brussel sprouts. I hate brussel sprouts, but Ina made them sound so good I had to try them. Oh my word, they are delicious! And the little leaves that come loose when you trim the stump end turn into the most delectable little thin papery, salty crisp things. Yum!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2.html

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are SO good, and way more healthy than the sweet potato dish we all have the recipe for that is more like dessert than a vegetable. I have experimented and for a single recipe you can easily cut the butter by 1 or 2 Tbsp. if you so desire. These are just scrumptious.

Sweet Potato Wedges (original recipe called for cutting the potatoes in wedges, but I found by cutting them in chunks, they seem to absorb more flavor, and cook faster)

3 lb. sweet potato (that's about 3 really good size) Peeled, and cut into wedges or chunks. The smaller the chunk it will lessen cooking time a bit.
6 Tbsp. melted butter
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon

Combine butter, salt and cinnamon, mix well. Toss with potatoes in large bowl til well coated. Pour out into 9x13 baking dish.

Cover and bake for 45-60 min. I stir once or twice while cooking for even heating.

Enjoy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We make Alton's turkey too.

I'm going to try that Pecan Pie and Brussels sprouts.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alain Ducasse's cheese gougeres. You can make 'em ahead and freeze them, then bake for 10 minutes straight (no need to defrost) before serving. They are the perfect pre-dinner nibble or party snack. They are cheap and easy to make - yet totally impressive. People will beg you for more....

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/alain-ducasses-gougeres

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen|1415146759|3777578 said:
Hey Gypsy!

Thank you for the ham recommendation. I LOVE a good ham, and am most times left wanting. ( a better ham, lol :bigsmile: ;)) ) So I am writing this one down. We don't have a Costco real close, but a friend belongs and frequents the one within driving distance so I will get her to get me one!

If you do try it come back and let me know what you thought.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1415107125|3777297 said:
For starter this year, I am going to have a baked mini Camembert/brie studded with garlic pieces, with crusty bread for dunking.

Very easy to make and tastes divine!

Cheese is always a good thing. :bigsmile: Have you tried deep-fried Camembert with cranberry sauce? It's pretty amazing stuff. Obviously not as healthy as baked, but most holiday foods are not that good for you in the first place :razz:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmm, love Delia, every recipe works! Am getting to love Ina Garten too, watching her cooking shows is just so soothing.......

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowdrop, Ina's French apple tart recipe is super simple and really beautiful.. Please try it sometime!

Kayden

Rough_Rock
This is my off the wall, untraditional but always requested side dish....Butternut squash tortellini by Giada! The sauce combined with the sweet butternut squash is DIVINE!

I have found that cheating and buying premade ravioli or tortellini (Trader Joes is delish) yields the same delicious results too! :)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/butternut-squash-tortellini-with-brown-butter-sauce-recipe.html

Try it, you wont be disappointed! I have also fried the tortellini up for a crispy appetizer and served the sauce on the side to dip.

:)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen|1415147148|3777586 said:
The next two will most likely debut this Thanksgiving, I didn't have them til recently. This first one is for roasted brussel sprouts. I hate brussel sprouts, but Ina made them sound so good I had to try them. Oh my word, they are delicious! And the little leaves that come loose when you trim the stump end turn into the most delectable little thin papery, salty crisp things. Yum!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2.html
So many people hate brussels sprouts until they try em roasted! They are to die for roasted :)

I might try that pecan pie, so easy! And pecan is my favourite..

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1415220605|3778154 said:
Ellen|1415147148|3777586 said:

So many people hate brussels sprouts until they try em roasted! They are to die for roasted :)

I might try that pecan pie, so easy! And pecan is my favourite..
Indeed. It is amazing how it can transform such a repulsive little bud into something so delectable. :clap:

And Gypsy, my mom told me the tinier the sprout the better (they do vary in size a bit). I think they tend to be a tad more tender, and maybe the flavor is a bit more delicate.

telephone, do try the pie, and let me know what you think!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really haven't planned a single thing for my family dinners, but I am having Christmas Couples Bunco with my 11 besties and I have been working on that. I am making filet mignon, and lobster tails.

Friends are bringing:

decadent potato casserole (we only make these for this yearly party because the hubs all love them)
jello pretzel salad

garlic rolls
green salad
Appetizers:
I am also making a huge antipasto tray, roasted shrimp with cocktail sauce, meatballs.

For dessert: I am making a coconut caramel cake, a berry cobbler, about 10 different cookies and some fudge. I will also make some roasted spiced nuts and some sugared nuts and have a box of sees candies on a tray. Oh, and I found a recipe on pintrest for something called Christmas Crack. I am making a batch of that as well.

Whatever is left of the cake and cobble will go to the fire station with the hubs the next day. I can't have that many sweets around the house but I love making it for some reason.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We make brussel sprouts with pancetta and onion and it is to die for.

But I am going to try roasting them too. I love brussell sprouts though. So I'm easy.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Searched for a Brussels sprout recipe--sort of an "upgrade" :bigsmile: to the usual roasting. It was absolutely delicious--served recently during our Canadian Thanksgiving. I like to core the sprouts and only use freshly grated parmesan. Since TG I have made the recipe again and added uncooked broccoli--and under cooked the sprouts as I like them crunchy (not soggy).

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/brussels-sprouts-gratin/

cheers--Sharon

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to stir-fry Brussels Sprouts with chopped garlic, with a dash of light soya sauce, a drizzle of toasted sesame oils and a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds. I quarter them first so that they do not take long to cook.

If I were entertaining, then I would probably roast them in the oven for ease of cooking.

Instead of baked garlic Camembert for starter, I may have a small lobster instead, just warm up a frozen pre-cooked one, and dip the flesh in garlic butter, nice and simple.

I am going to treat myself to crème brûlée instead of the usual Tiramisu.

Main course will be the usual roast duck with all the trimmings (roast potatoes, parsley, and a mixed-veg stir-fry). Don't know which sauce to go with the duck yet, however, it is likely to be something citrousy.

Boxing Day will be a nice ribeye steak with a garlicky blue cheese sauce, onion rings, chips and a mixed-veg stir-fry.

Fried rice with leftover roast duck on Saturday, and spicy noodle soup with duck on Sunday.

I love Christmas! :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So we roasted the brussel sprouts tonight. I used Ina Garten's recipe and didn't like how they turned out. I like my brussel sprouts still a bit crunchy. So I am wondering if I have to roast them for less time at a higher heat maybe?

I want them not mushy or cooked in the center. Also I prefer them halved not whole. They get more seasoning.

Recommendations appreciated.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1415595894|3780437 said:
So we roasted the brussel sprouts tonight. I used Ina Garten's recipe and didn't like how they turned out. I like my brussel sprouts still a bit crunchy. So I am wondering if I have to roast them for less time at a higher heat maybe?

I want them not mushy or cooked in the center. Also I prefer them halved not whole. They get more seasoning.

Recommendations appreciated.
If you want the insides to be crunchy, reduce the cook time. If you want the outsides to have more browning, increase the temperature.

If you are going to halve them, 425 degrees and check after 20 minutes.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Here's a easy and crowd-pleasing side dish

Sweet Corn Casserole (a favorite at our house) kind of like sweet corn masa scoop you get at El Torito restaurant

1 - 15oz can creamed corn
1 - 15oz can sweet whole kernel corn
1 8oz box of Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 cup of sour cream
½ cup of butter, melted
1 cup grated cheddar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients except cheese and put into a greased baking dish and bake for 45 minutes. Top with grated cheese and return to oven until cheese is melted.

corn_casserole.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I made a non traditional shepherd's pie the other week for a cookout and I think it would be a great holiday recipe. I used ground chicken instead of ground beef (it happened to be on sale) and mixed corn. For the topping I used sweet potato instead of standard potatoes. It was a nice twist! The ground meat you just heat up like standard, add the veggies toward the end. To keep it moist, I added some of the water from boiling the sweet potatoes, plus a couple bay leaves for seasoning. I omitted some ingredients based on what I had on hand and taste preferences of my picky husband ;))

For the mashed potato topping, it was 3 large potatoes, boiled. I added about half a stick of butter, some of the water used to boil, one egg, some nutmeg, and a bit of salt. After layering the meat mixture at the bottom of a casserole dish, I scooped the mashed potato mixture on top, leaving about ¼ of it to pipe around the edge of the pan.

Adapted from Rachael Ray's 365: No Repeats cookbook

Ingredients:
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 Tbsp EVOO
¼ pound bacon or turkey bacon, chopped
1 package ground turkey
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
2 Tbsp thyme leaves
1 medium onion
2 carrots, diced
3 celery ribs, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, chopped
2 cups frozen peas
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup sour cream
1 large egg
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
10 to 12 fresh chives, chopped or snapped

Her recipe uses the bacon drippings before adding the ground turkey, then add the veggies, flour, and sour cream. The potatoes were pretty much the same as I outlined above.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
My sister makes the best stuffing. so we will have this

Ingredients

3/4 loaf (3/4 lb.) French Bread
1/1/2 cups nonfat milk
2 lbs. Italian sausages
1 cup chopped parsley
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
1 medium onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 1/2 lbs. green swiss chard, stem ends trimmed, coarsely chopped
1/1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried rubbed sage
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
salt
Save a shopping List
Directions

1. Cut bread into 1/2-in. slices. Place slices in large bowl and add milk. Gently stir with spoon to saturate with milk and let stand about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, place a 6-8 qt. pot over high heat. Squeeze sausages form casings into pot. Cook meat, stirring often to crumble, until lightly browned, 10-15 minutes;discard fat. Add parsley, garlic, onion, and celery. Cook stirring often until vegetables are lightly browned, 5-8 minutes. Add chard and 1/2 cup water and cook, stirring often, until wilted, about 5 minutes.
3. With your hands, squeeze bread slices to break them into tiny pieces, Add the cooked meat mixture, parmesan, basil, sage and rosemary. Season to taste with salt.
4. Preheat oven to 325 or 350 degrees. Spoon stuffing into a shallow 9 by 13-in. casserole. For moist stuffing cover with foil. For crusty stuffing, do not cover. Bake until hot or lightly browned, at least 30 minutes

glitterkitteh

Rough_Rock
Bookmarking this!

Costco ham sounds like a great idea since I'm not a huge turkey fan. I can't even remember what the main dish was for last Christmas, probably turkey since I don't remember, hahahah. Honestly, I don't really care what is served as long as I get my fill of au gratin potatoes. Last year, my husband made this recipe and it was the highlight:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-hasselback-potato-gratin-the-best-potatoes-ever-recipe.html
My brother always makes bacon wrapped dates as appetizers and it's always popular.

Kahlua trifle is always met with enthusiasm and it's SO EASY. That's been my go to dessert for the last several potlucks. This year, I'm planning on making a "gingerbread cake village" with cotton candy as "snow".

Has anyone tried a Turduken?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1415596690|3780442 said:
Gypsy|1415595894|3780437 said:
If you are going to halve them, 425 degrees and check after 20 minutes.

Will that make them crunchy? I want crunch. I also think I am going to add something other than just olive oil, salt and pepper.

Maybe add some turmeric and garlic powder then hit them with some lemon juice when they finish.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results