shape
carat
color
clarity

Hip New Things for the 20 something set?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Any gift suggestions - can be clothes, accessories (socks, bags, scarves, etc),hair toys, gift cards to favorite stores, apartment stuff - ANYTHING! I''ve got two neices (who recently entered the work force) to buy for and at a loss this year.

How about college age boys (senior & junior)?

Help this ole lady buy something that they will use, enjoy & like!

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there, I suggest you get a scarf, or gift card, or something from www.jjill.com. I always go there for something for our babysitter and my young and hip female relations. They''ve always loved whatever from Jjill.

Here are some examples:

http://www.jjill.com/landing/merch3a.asp?pi=2

or

http://www.jjill.com/ShopJJillDetail.asp?AreaID=OL&SizeID=5&txtproductId=621004&txtQueryID=&SubCat=&selDept=16&OfferID=ZE&ItemCatDesc=scarves%2C+hats+%26+mittens&ItemSubCatDesc=festive+scarves+%26+shawls

Just some ideas. It''s a fun and hip clothing store! Sorry, no idea for the guys.

koko

Shiny_Rock
All of my "20 somethings" are getting Starbucks gift cards this year!!
18.gif

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a 20-something that just entered the work-force
emsmile.gif
so hopefully my suggestions are on cuefor your nieces:

Starbucks gift cards are a great idea for waking up early every day for the first time in a looooooong time.
I-Tunes gift certificates (unless you think your nieces don''t like music)
clothes for work (I like Express & Esprit)

If they are living on their own & haven''t completely set up their place yet - the choices are really endless:
artwork
kitchen appliances
a cute throw blanket for their couch
a really nice set of towels
a nice set of wine glasses
if you have any family recipes, you could create a gift basket with the recipe & all the ingredients necessary to make it

Personally, I''d also enjoy something like a monthly flower delivery to decorate my place
emsmile.gif

For college aged boys, I would go with:

I-Tunes certificates
Gift cards to Best Buy or Circuit City (undoubtedly they are into video games & may need some accessories for their new XBox or something)
money (for pizza & beer)
sweatshirts

Good luck!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Being a 20-something, I agree with a gift card for clothes, especially for work. Its all i usually ask for because i dont want to spend the money, or rather what i like is expensive!
9.gif
One of my favorite stores is Ann Taylor. I am absolutely in love with their pants and sweaters.

For the college boys... How about a baseball cap, gift card to Best Buy, movie passes? Poker is pretty hot right now too. Im getting DH a poker table top and chips similar to this...

brandsonsale-store_1872_27401548

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Hehe, I count in that category as 23 and still trying to figure out what I''m doing with my life... What would work for most of my friends & I are gift cards to stores like Banana Republic, Jcrew, Anthropologie, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom...good for picking up some work clothes or something cute. Also spa gift certificates...Sometimes its the little luxuries that get cut out of the recent graduate''s budget! It is hard for me to recommend specific items because their style might be totally opposite to what I like. Thing that are on my list and that are pretty easy are a nice cashmere scarf/gloves set and more cable knit sweaters. Starbucks was a good idea too, that definitely adds up during the work week! I also love getting Barnes & Nobles gift cards because I LOVE to read, but buying all the books I want would deplete my life savings
3.gif
Or just plain old cash...

Your nephews are the same age as my brothers & cousins....this year to my cousins we''re giving out lots of DVDs....Seinfeld, Godfather stuff, other movies they wanted, or Best Buy cards so they can pick out what they want. We''ve also had luck picking up casual sweaters at places like Banana, Jcrew and the Mens Express. My brothers LIVE in Lacoste right now, so you could always pick up a polo if they like those. Poker sets are good if they haven''t already gotten them, you can get those basically anywhere now. Oh, my brothers (18 and 21) are into Soduku or however you spell it so I was going to throw a couple of those books in with their gifts as well.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Just thought of something else on my Christmas list...

A COACH Wrislet... these are great to go out for the night with! I can fit everything i need and not have to worry about keeping up with my purse. I asked for the Hamptons signature.

Gift certs to Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn are nice to decorate with too. C&B also has kitchen stuff to pick from.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Okay.. here is what I would want..

Something from Express (for work clothes, or even cute everyday clothes) or Victoria''s Secret (I am obsessed with the PINK! collection.. love the hoodies and sweats..).. Or a gift card to either of those places, or Gap..

I love electronics.. but that could be just me.. and not the average 24 y.o. girl. So anything computery would be good for me

And stuff for my house.. That is all I really want this christmas.. but thats because we just bought our house!

HERE''s what I wouldn''t want-
AN I-TUNES GIFTCARD. I will NOT pay to download music.. even if someone else pays for me.. Anyone who was in college between 1998-2004 would probably agree with me.. Once we all got used to downloading our music for free on high speed internet.. there is no way anyone was going to make us pay. I don''t really download music anymore.. but when I do.. there are definitely still ways around paying for it!

For the boys..
They really all still just want video games. :) They''d all love Best Buy gift cards!

bedazzled101

Rough_Rock
Express gift cards are a must...they are young...want to look profesional in the work place...but when you have no money its hard...so CLOTHES are a must...Express is heven on earth for great prices...same with the boys, mens Express is perfect...they are always needing a pick me up in the clothing department...even if they don''t admit it...merry christmas to everyone
17.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that table poker idea, poker is SO hot right now, but I don't know...sometimes people feel like the connotation is to inspire more gambling. So maybe not. hee hee.

I agree with gift cards to the hip stores. I love JJill but I don't think that it's a hip 20's type environment, for me it's more early 30's...many of my friend's parents shop there etc. I only know one gal my age or younger that shops there.

I'd say Abercrombie is hot with my sisters right now, and American Eagle apparently is popular too. Gap, BR of course as two staples...BR has some great work outfits and can be pricey to someone just starting out on their own. Old Navy for more casual low-cost items.

For if they are out on their own, Target is a great place to shop for those basic essentials, C&B as a slightly nicer store for that set.

I bought my sis a very small clearance diamond necklace for Xmas, and my other one is getting a 'Make a Wish Necklace', a cute hibiscus floral cosmetic bag from wishingfish.com and iTunes gift cards, she lives with her iPod.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Great suggestions All! Thanks.

I only give gift cards as a last resort - I''ve had such bad experiences. I will give cash; but, the one year I gave that to hubby''s niece & nephew they seemed disappointed - (very small family - we are really all they got outside of parents).

I LOVE the idea of wine glasses and maybe a bottle of wine - as I know she & her SO love reds. Probably a luxury at their age; but - I''m gonna reserve that for an engagement gift
28.gif
. I like the Starbucks giftcard (that isn''t for things - it''s for luxury). I think for her - I''m really leaning towards the suggestion of towels.

I gave the cool nice blanket throws last year. They were a big hit - but I not on a repeat.

I''m going to have to re-think this whole gift card thing as many people seem to like them. Maybe for next year.

My nephew is Polo obsessed. I think I may get him one in the new colors.

My niece is the hardest to buy for - how expensive are those Juicy outfits you all talk about? They must be popular as Bloomies had a whole part of a FLOOR devoted to them.
6.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 12:01:46 PM
Author: *~*Danielle*~*
if you have any family recipes, you could create a gift basket with the recipe & all the ingredients necessary to make it
This is incrediably thoughtful. And, an awesome suggestion for my hubby''s mother to consider since she has a few baking recipes she is famous for (duly noted as she is bascially a bad cook).

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 1:01:51 PM
Author: fire&ice

My niece is the hardest to buy for - how expensive are those Juicy outfits you all talk about? They must be popular as Bloomies had a whole part of a FLOOR devoted to them.
6.gif
Juicy velour hoodies are like $88 and pants are like $75. You could always just get a hoodie...that''s what I get the most use out of and I have a few that are not part of a set.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
My brother, 24, is obsessed with wearing Polo. He just landed his dream job and wants the dress shirts, the sweater vests, the cashmere top coat, the scarf, you name it. My sister is still in college and I''ll have to agree, when I think back to my college days my uncle slipped me a $20 AFTER opening my present and I thought that was the coolest. College Gift = CASH

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
also you can get some good deals on Juicy stuff on eBay..just don''t buy the $20 ones from Korea, not sure how authentic those ones are!!

i would also suggest a hoodie if you just get one of the pieces, you can wear it with jeans or other things as well.

Polo is so popular right now too, my sister wears those branded short sleeve ones over a long sleeve C&C type stretchy top. sometimes i feel so old.
2.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I''m in my 20''s (just barely though as I''m 29) and some of my favorite gifts include:

Jewelry
Starbucks gift cards (my mom buys a cute coffee cup (or set) and coffee beans and includes a gift card with them for my friends)
Spa/lotion sets (I like Bath & Body Works)
Fun housewares (sconces, candles & holders, throws, platters, fondue set, vases, etc.)
Wine
Makeup (a nice set of brushes, nail polish, travel makeup palettes (purse size))
Perfume
Cashmere sweater
Barnes & Noble gift cards or books
Magazine subscriptions

For college boys I''d buy:
Polo shirt or sweater
Movie tickets (you could make a cute package and include a DVD and some microwave popcorn)
Nice poker set (the ones with 11.5 gram clay chips and a nice metal case)
Anything dealing with beer (assuming they''re at least 21): mugs, beers of the world, a mini keg, etc.
Video games (see if they have a wishlist on Amazon.com or similar)
Shoes

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Well, for my one niece I bought a nice neutral towel set x 2. She lives with other girls so her apartment is not hers. I thought about some serving pieces, etc - but think it just may get lost with all the other stuff. These will be hers, they are new & lush. Maybe not the most exciting thing - but I can remember back and nothing was better than a nice matching set of towels for ourselves or guests.

I like the idea of gift cards with related stuff that''s concrete. Thing is I don''t know if she likes starbucks. I''m not a big coffee fan - just necessary juice for the morning rise. So, we''ve never talked about coffee. But, my other niece is hooked on Starbucks - that will be a good small thing for her.

Great gift suggestions. We were at a loss. Hubby thinks you are a VERY smart group! And, make our lives easier!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best gift I got when I was in college was from my aunt...it was a sandwich maker that I could make grilled cheese sandwiches with, because she knew I loved them! I still have it 5 years later and still use it!

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
How about a cool blender with cute Margarita glasses or a Martini shaker with cute glasses and the appropriate liquor?
(Assuming they are over 21 of course!)
27.gif

305332e.jpg
181747e.jpg
B00005MG3D.01-A23NLORBGXOLEO._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results