shape
carat
color
clarity

Himalayan or Ragdoll?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
So, I''m still looking for a buddy for Theo- and a new cuddle bug for me. As I''ve mentioned in the past, while I love Theo as he is, I''m hoping this next kitty will be more affectionate while still providing some companionship to Theo while we are at work. The new kitty doesn''t have to be a kitten, but if it''s an adult I would prefer one that''s fairly free of bad habits and young enough that it still has the energy to keep up with THeo. Theo is a DSH, but I''ve decided that I''d like to go for a more exotic breed this time. I''ve narrowed it down to two breeds, Ragdolls and Himalayans. I know there a quite a few Ragdoll lovers on PS- and from all of your posts it seems like they are just big furry loveballs. How about Himalyans? Help me decide!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Both are seriously cute! Is theo a dog?
Ragdolls are pretty mellow and very popular. But persians are pretty mellow too, so I''d guess it''s the same for himalayans. My mother has had persians for yrars now and loves them!
I''m into mutts myself.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had two Himmies and they are/ were real characters, one was a lap cat, the other not so much, but both cute and loving in their own ways, you could grab both and have a good cuddle!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Oh sorry, Theo is a super crazy 10 month old kitten. The second pic is the day we got him. Should have known by that picture that he was going to be a little devil!

kittyss.JPG
IMG_7252.JPG

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 11:33:02 AM
Author: sap483
Oh sorry, Theo is a super crazy 10 month old kitten.

kittyss.JPG
I have no advice for cat choice, but just dropping in to "LOL" at the kitten with the toilet paper.

Cracks me up every time!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh, a new kitty!!! YAY, how fun!!!

Well, some say that Raggies might have a hard time "keeping up" with a very exhuberant
2.gif
and mischievous "sibling"... someone on the Ragdoll forum I belong to said that they know someone who had two Savannahs and two Ragdolls and the Raggies were almost tortured by the Savannahs... being chased by them, tails and legs nipped at, etc. All in good fun for the Savannahs (no harm intended) just a little too much for the generally very laid back, very floppy and gentle Raggies. I don't know that from personal experience, though, just what I have read.

And I don't know a thing about Himmies... so I'm no help there.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I have a male red point himmie he is beautiful and I adore him he is now in his 11th year, though he does not look a day over 5 ;-).

Not all Himmie''s will be lap kitties I got one because I wanted a lap cat and he simply wasn''t it has taken me about 10 years to get him tolerate being held, he is affectionate just some kitties prefer to be next to you not on top of you but he loves a rough pat especially with your feet. He loves to snuggle up on the couch next to you or at your feet but will very rarely actually come and sit on you.

I agree with Lorelei they are serious characters are very fun cats and are quite funny. Mine is seriously chubby he loves his food often and plentiful. I find he is very tolerant and have taught him tricks :) he can beg like a dog and talk and come for food. He gets in silly moods where he will pick up a scent and go crazy all over the carpet or do a guerrilla attack playfully and then run away. They are stocky gobblegutses and can have a few health issues, prone to diabetes and can have eye problems and you need to groom them often - again mine doesn''t tolerate this so we get him shaved regularly and he looks stupidly adorable
31.gif
, also they shed quite a bit so you need a good defluffer otherwise your clothes will be seriously fluffy. Ours doesn''t move very much (he is epitome of Garfield LOL) though when he was a kitten we swear his mum had taken some funky drugs because he would constantly run up and down the stairs in search of his invisible yellow funky mice, our other kitty who is more active will chase and play with him on occasion.

I would very much recommend doing research on both breeds while I love my kitty and would not change him for the world I don''t think he is the breed for everyone, they do require a fair bit of maintenance.

I hope that answers your questions some :).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/15/2008 12:40:54 PM
Author: Deelight
I have a male red point himmie he is beautiful and I adore him he is now in his 11th year, though he does not look a day over 5 ;-).

Not all Himmie''s will be lap kitties I got one because I wanted a lap cat and he simply wasn''t it has taken me about 10 years to get him tolerate being held, he is affectionate just some kitties prefer to be next to you not on top of you but he loves a rough pat especially with your feet. He loves to snuggle up on the couch next to you or at your feet but will very rarely actually come and sit on you.

I agree with Lorelei they are serious characters are very fun cats and are quite funny. Mine is seriously chubby he loves his food often and plentiful. I find he is very tolerant and have taught him tricks :) he can beg like a dog and talk and come for food. He gets in silly moods where he will pick up a scent and go crazy all over the carpet or do a guerrilla attack playfully and then run away. They are stocky gobblegutses and can have a few health issues, prone to diabetes and can have eye problems and you need to groom them often - again mine doesn''t tolerate this so we get him shaved regularly and he looks stupidly adorable
31.gif
, also they shed quite a bit so you need a good defluffer otherwise your clothes will be seriously fluffy. Ours doesn''t move very much (he is epitome of Garfield LOL) though when he was a kitten we swear his mum had taken some funky drugs because he would constantly run up and down the stairs in search of his invisible yellow funky mice, our other kitty who is more active will chase and play with him on occasion.

I would very much recommend doing research on both breeds while I love my kitty and would not change him for the world I don''t think he is the breed for everyone, they do require a fair bit of maintenance.

I hope that answers your questions some :).
Dee has given an excellent description of the Himmie type and characteristics!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know how possible it is to get, but my friend ended up with a raggie from the shelter who was put there because his markings were uneven, so you might be able to find one more in need if you are willing to take a hershey (the cat I know is hershey because she has an off center hershey kiss on her nose.)
anyway, I have known many lap cats, but none like Hershey. You pick her up and she just goes totally limp in a way I have never seen other cats do. She is so pliant and patient.
If you do go either way, go with one not more than about a year old so they have the energy to keep up with your stinker.

By the way, did you get him to bond with you? As I recall he was closer to your FI and you were trying to endear yourself to him.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Deelight- While a lap kitty would be amazing, just a cat that will sit near me would be excellent at this point. My little guy will no longer sit even remotely close to us unless he''s bouncing on our heads at 5:30am on Saturday morning! Seriously, it''s like he''s a teenager and no longer needs us except to clean his litter box, feed him, and play with him when he''s bored. He''ll lure you over to him by acting really sweet and cute and then will pounce on you and sink his teeth into you wherever he can.

We love him, we honestly do, but I''d love to own a second cat that''s a bit more affectionate. I was cat sitting a friend of mine''s cat recently, and every time I would go over there she would be all over me, giving me head butts and snuggling me- so that''s the kind of behavior I am looking for. Thank you for sharing what your kitty is like- it''s good to know that not all himalayan''s are overly affectionate. That is why I am thinking of looking for a younger adult cat so I can tell what they will be like.

Brazen- I''m completely open to a mix breed, and have been actively checking shelters. I would love to give another homeless kitty a forever home. I''ve learned to accept that Theo will never adore me- but I guess it has helped that Theo is not as affectionate towards DH anymore either. He still loves DH more, and no matter how much I try to coax him, if he hears the garage door open he''s racing towards the door to greet his daddy.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for Ragdoll -- but I honestly don''t know anything about the Himalayan.
We have (2) Raggies, both around 7 years old. They are affectionate and love being around people. They even run to the door when the doorbell rings! What cat does that?! They never hide when people come over, and actually seem like they understand english.. hee hee. Both are my constant companions and follow me around the house.

Also, if kids are in the mix, the ragdolls are super with kids. We had our cats before we had our son, and even when he was a baby and would grab their tails or accidentally pull an ear -- they never lifted a paw on him (and they have all claws intact) or tried to bite. They are just the most gentle cats and I highly recommend them to anyone considering this breed.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I''m a former Himmy owner. Mine was quite the lap kitty. They are a higher maintenance cat though. Daily eye area cleansing and daily (if not twice daily) brushing is required to keep their coat from matting (unless you have them shaved - which sort of defeats the purpose of having a Himmy IMO).

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oh hee hee, love the toilet paper pic! You deserve a lap cat! Have you thought of checking petfinder to find some himalayan or ragdolls in your area from rescue groups? That way you'd have an idea of the cats personality. You can search by breed and zip code. These were my search results.
http://www.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi?breed=ragdoll&tmpl=&preview=&animal=Cat&preview=&zip=94114

I am very lucky to have one kitty who is always a lap cat and two part time lap cats. I guess we just got lucky :)

niccia

Shiny_Rock
My parents have a ragdoll mix but you could never tell she has anything else in her. She is a beauty and very lovable, but kind of crazy with a quick temper lol. She is also very bright and started using the toilet instead of her litter box when she was about 3 months old - no one ever showed her that trick and my parents thought it was yucky. I generally prefer to adopt shelter cats or strays, but I am considering getting a maine coon kitten in a few months and then adopting an older cat from the shelter at the same time. Maine coons are very docile and generally get along well with other animals, so that may be another option for you as well :)

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
That TP picture is sooo classic. I swear TP is like Disneyland to pets!
36.gif

Mrs.2Artists

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
I have a ragdoll, and she has the best personality you could ask for. She is the most loving affectionate cat ever.. When me and BF were moving in together, he was really skeptical about a cat (never had one before) and the first day he was on the couch and she jumped up and slept with him for hours, and he was sold..

Mine is about 9 years old, but acts like she is 5 most of the time. Still likes to be playful, but loves to snuggle, she loves to curl up with u in bed under the covers, and loves to kiss you, and is such a lap cat, she will sit on the couch and stare at you until you make room for her to lay in between your legs with a blanket..stupid cat.. haha

Like someone earlier said, I swear she understands english..probably one the smartest cats ive ever had..and my mom has like 11...seriously lol..anyways she talks.. ALOT..which is fun bcuz u can have a convo with her, lets you know when to clean cat box..lol..and when she wants to go outside on the porch/ or in garage she climbs up the door and stretches and meows so u let her out..

She actually got out in November and in the process we found a Siamese...and well before he got neutured got my moms persian pregnant..and we got kittens..well my mom did..so now we have a half siamese/half persian little kitten...and he is super sweet...long hair..realy fluffy...and pretty sweet..just has a hard time sleeping for a while..wakes up at 7am where as the ragdoll will sleep in the bed with you for 12 hours if you want, and wont get up to pee or anything.. :)
Ok ill stop my rant :)

You know my vote is for a ragdoll :)

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 2:59:57 PM
Deelight- While a lap kitty would be amazing, just a cat that will sit near me would be excellent at this point. My little guy will no longer sit even remotely close to us unless he''s bouncing on our heads at 5:30am on Saturday morning! Seriously, it''s like he''s a teenager and no longer needs us except to clean his litter box, feed him, and play with him when he''s bored. He''ll lure you over to him by acting really sweet and cute and then will pounce on you and sink his teeth into you wherever he can.

Most cats get more affectionate the older they get, our himmy was not very affectionate when he was little but after about 6 years he started to be more so, so you might be better with going for a slightly older cat, however our long haired moggie who I found out in the backyard when he was three weeks old is just the most loving thing he flops when you pick him up he snuggles and there is just a bond there that is really strong. I don''t know if this is because we hand reared him from such a young age (he was half-starved when I found him) but he is just completely sunggleabe, however he will also lure you and then attack you, it is kinda funny we call him attack kitty, his moods snap from one extreme to the other but it is a part of his charm :). He is snuggling and grooming me on my lap as I type this

We love him, we honestly do, but I''d love to own a second cat that''s a bit more affectionate. I was cat sitting a friend of mine''s cat recently, and every time I would go over there she would be all over me, giving me head butts and snuggling me- so that''s the kind of behavior I am looking for. Thank you for sharing what your kitty is like- it''s good to know that not all himalayan''s are overly affectionate. That is why I am thinking of looking for a younger adult cat so I can tell what they will be like.

I can understand that, and I am certain you love your kitty I always wanted a lap kitty but the first one took a while to get there. It is nice having a little snugglebug :). And I am more then happy to share my experiences himmy''s are great cats awesome with kids but they are not all snugglers

Brazen- I''m completely open to a mix breed, and have been actively checking shelters. I would love to give another homeless kitty a forever home. I''ve learned to accept that Theo will never adore me- but I guess it has helped that Theo is not as affectionate towards DH anymore either. He still loves DH more, and no matter how much I try to coax him, if he hears the garage door open he''s racing towards the door to greet his daddy.

Don''t give up on the affections of Theo, cats are fickle my moggie goes from being mummy''s to daddy''s boy and back again - currently I am the favourite :D, the fatso loves whoever has food.

purrfectpear Shaved himmys have the best texture when you pat them OMG so nice :)

sap483 I thought I would attach a photo of my himmy in his full fluffy glory to share with you :), mine does not have an overly squished in face as some but it still looks like he has been hit by a mac truck. I think he is seriously beautiful, this is about what he looks like most of the time.

05-05-08_1140.jpg

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Dee, I hope Theo comes around! Your baby is sooo cute. I love the expressions that himmy''s have on their cute little faces.

In terms of grooming, I''ve read that himmys need daily brushing and would do well with a bath at least twice a month. You also have to wipe their faces down frequently to prevent tearing. Is that accurate?

What about ragdolls, how much grooming do they require?

As for illnesses, is either breed more prone to developing certain illnesses?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee, I ADORE your Himmie Baby!!! I could just squoosh him up!!!
30.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2008 10:19:46 AM
Dee, I hope Theo comes around! Your baby is sooo cute. I love the expressions that himmy's have on their cute little faces.

In terms of grooming, I've read that himmys need daily brushing and would do well with a bath at least twice a month. You also have to wipe their faces down frequently to prevent tearing. Is that accurate?

The grooming aspect is definitely one big "plus" for a Raggie. Their hair is medium to long but different that Persians and Himmies in that it doesn't "mat" like theirs tends to do. A brushing once a week or so is all that's needed to keep a Ragdoll well-groomed. Bathing? Totally optional, most Raggie owners I know (myself included) have never bathed their cat; no need to, unless they would get "into" something dirty, sticky or dangerous.

Also, since they don't have the "flatter" faces, they aren't prone to breathing difficulties or weeping eyes, like some breeds can be.

As for illness... there are some that say that Ragdolls may be more prone to heart problems (in particular, HCM), but then an equal number of sources will say no, that's not the case. Ditto with immunizations... some say Raggies are more sensitive to them and may have a higher incidence of reactions; others dispute that and say the reaction risk is no higher than for any cat.

My (ever humble
2.gif
) opinion? I think purebreds may in general just tend to have a bit higher risk for health problems and issues... Boo had a heart murmur as a kitten (scared THE CRAP out of me!
39.gif
) but thankfully it resolved and he is totally fine and healthy now.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2008 10:19:46 AM
Dee, I hope Theo comes around! Your baby is sooo cute. I love the expressions that himmy''s have on their cute little faces.

Thanks Sap He is a real character and does have a lot of different expressions mostly he looks like a grumpy old man but he does have the most adorable lion chin when he is sleeping.[/b]

I am sure that he will he is just in the naughty kitten stage, try and enjoy it while it lasts you will miss it when it is gone.

In terms of grooming, I''ve read that himmys need daily brushing and would do well with a bath at least twice a month. You also have to wipe their faces down frequently to prevent tearing. Is that accurate?

You should brush them daily, but like I said mine does not like it he will however let me cut, untangle knots out of his fur
33.gif
he is a weird one, we used to bath him quite often when he was little especially as the food we had feed him to start off with gave him the runs EWWW and he tolerates it quite well he does not love it but he is better then most kitties, the vets are amazed. I would say wash as needed but it is a good idea to get them used to it when they are little. He gets bathed when he gets shaved at the vets so that is at least 3 times a year and he comes home smelling like a marshmallow so yummy.

Can''t help you there
7.gif

Himmies are prone to eye problems, diabetes I am not sure of what others. Ours did develop an eye problem as he like his mummy does not blink enough to produce moisture and gets dry eyes we just have to coat his eye''s with visco tears and he is fine, however we were really lucky as he could have lost his eye
7.gif
. You can probably google the info on health issues :) not all cats will develop all the problems though.

Date: 7/16/2008 10:21:12 AM
Author: Lorelei
30.gif

Thank you hun :) he is really very squishable, he currently weighs either 4.8kg''s or 5.8kg''s (I know it is one or the other) so he is really very cuddly. I have been told by the vet not to allow him to get any fatter, so far so good.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had both & have to admit I enjoyed my himalayan much more she was just a love boat. High maintenance though.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/16/2008 10:52:26 AM

30.gif

Thank you hun :) he is really very squishable, he currently weighs either 4.8kg''s or 5.8kg''s (I know it is one or the other) so he is really very cuddly. I have been told by the vet not to allow him to get any fatter, so far so good.
Heehee! He is adorable! My last Himmie weighed 6.5 kilos at his death
15.gif
, my newest Himmie baby only weighs 3.5....He is a tiny wee man and is fully grown!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 11:33:02 AM
Oh sorry, Theo is a super crazy 10 month old kitten. The second pic is the day we got him. Should have known by that picture that he was going to be a little devil!

IMG_7252.JPG
Ahhh, how cute!!!

Deelight your kitty is adorable and oh so fluffy!!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2008 12:35:34 PM
Date: 7/16/2008 10:52:26 AM

30.gif

Heehee! He is adorable! My last Himmie weighed 6.5 kilos at his death
15.gif
, my newest Himmie baby only weighs 3.5....He is a tiny wee man and is fully grown!

awww I am sorry about your loss
7.gif
I would love to see pictures of your furbabies though if your willing to share :), maybe a Himmies thread should be started :).

Thanks Skippy :) he really is all that fluffy :)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2008 1:09:14 PM

awww I am sorry about your loss
7.gif
I would love to see pictures of your furbabies though if your willing to share :), maybe a Himmies thread should be started :).

Thanks Skippy :) he really is all that fluffy :)
Lorelei, I am sorry too, I missed your post. Hugs; I would love to see your furbaby too!

Deelight, I love them fluffy. hehee

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you go, here is a pic of my Theo - Theodore Edward, AKA Teddy. He had to leave us two years ago due to sudden kidney failure. We miss him so much - love you baby
emrose.gif

Teddy.jpg

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Awww Lorelei OMG I about had a conniption when I saw your Teddy''s picture he is just magnificent. He is such a beautiful and handsome boy. I am sorry he had to go it is always hard you miss them so much.

He has such a magnificent coat and eye''s he is just beautiful.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Dee for your lovely words about our precious baby, he was beautiful wasn''t he? It was about a year before you came to PS, but he died very suddenly from acute kidney failure. It was a terrible time, our vet who had known Teddy since he was a kitten couldn''t understand why such a seemingly healthy cat should die in that way, so we agreed to an autopsy. That was when we discovered he weighed 6.5 kilos PM, but the COD was that one kidney was deformed and tiny and non functioning, the other was grossly enlarged and had ceased functioning, it was doing the work of the other kidney and for some reason it became too much. So he was on borrowed time, he had just had his 7th birthday one week before.
15.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Your welcome hun *hugs*, your bubba is one of the most beautiful (if not the most beautiful) himmies I have ever seen. I am so sorry he went so suddenly at least you know why, in some ways I think it is harder not knowing. He looks so very regal and happy (well as happy as grumpy looking himmies can look LOL). Even though his time was short I am certain those 7 years were fantastic for him he looks very well loved and cared for.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results