clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the suggestions!

I've got most of them added to My List :bigsmile:

I think I'll watch Dear Zachary today.

We enjoyed Somm (documentary about becoming a Sommelier - had *no* idea it was that tough to become one. I have a whole new level of respect now).

Any more Discovery on ID type documentaries? (love that channel).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the recommendation iLander. I am going to check it out. I loved House. It was a smart show and I happen to like dark but your rec sounds very good too.

I am going to add 2 movie recommendations. First one was recommended to me by Jimmianne and very enjoyable and entertaining. A feel good movie. "Hector and the search for happiness".
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80014728?trkid=13573466

Another movie rec is Chef. Funny and light.
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70297087

I lied. I am going to recommend a few more movies. Oldies but goodies and all on Netflix.

From the Terrace, The Verdict, The Hustler and Nobody's Fool all with Paul Newman.

Escape from Alcatraz with Clint Eastwood.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Just finished Season One of Bloodline and highly recommend it!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watched Dear Zachary.

:(sad

Wow. Just wow. :((

But so glad I watched it.

DH is not that much into documentaries (although in the last 2 weeks, he's the one that suggested Somm and Jiro! 8) but anyone would love this one...when he gets home I'm going to have him watch it.

Thank you for recommending it.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love Doc Martin.

I binge watched Pretty Little Liars. Love the mystery, haven't figured it out yet, dammit. Love the clothes and hair and high school dynamics btw the girls. Good snark, I hear my DH laffing from the living room while I watch in the den.

Judging Amy is on Amazon!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband wants to watch Bloodline but he hasn't started yet. He wants me to watch it with him, but I'm a little skeptical. We watch a lot of heavy, intense dramas, detective/cop shows, and I'm not sure I can handle another one. Having said that, we did just finish season one of Graceland. It's about a group of FBI agents who live together in the LA area in a house called Graceland. It's a good show, and we're about to start season two.

A lighthearted, funny police show is Brooklyn 9-9.

I want to watch Dear Zachary but I'm hesitant because I know I'll be bawling by the end.

Doc Martin and Judging Amy are really good. We watched Chef last weekend and really liked it. I thought it was a bit too long but the story was a good one.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that this thread got bumped. I recently watched the series 'Luther' on netflix (canadian I think). It is like the Killing, but the BBC version and personally I liked it better (homicide detectives). Its only 3 seasons long, but soo good.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1433789600|3886593 said:
I like that this thread got bumped. I recently watched the series 'Luther' on netflix (canadian I think). It is like the Killing, but the BBC version and personally I liked it better (homicide detectives). Its only 3 seasons long, but soo good.

But how can you possibly like it better when Holder is not in it? ::) (am I the only one who thought he was the sexiest thing ever?)

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bloodline was AMAZING, I could NOT stop watching until all the episodes are gone and I'm so relieved that Netflix is doing a season 2 of the show.

Its a psychodrama/murder mystery/family relationships masterpiece! Cannot recommend enough. :appl: :appl: :appl:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second "Bloodline". I hope they have renewed it. I also loved "Wentworth". It's about a women's prison in Australia. Far better but much more graphic violence than "Orange is the New Black".

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Did someone already mention Sherlock? :wavey:

It's genius! Everyone in my family loves it (teens and adults), and we're waiting with baited breath until the new ones come out (2016!). It's intense and each plot line is amazing. The acting is stunning, the plot twists are bizarre and the time just flies by when you watch it.

I envy anyone that hasn't seen it yet, because I would love to watch it with fresh eyes again. It's critically acclaimed, the plots are interesting (e.g., why are people all over England suddenly killing themselves?) and each episode is better than the one before.

Watch the first one when you have time to pay attention (not for laptop browsing while watching, too interesting), then I promise you will be hooked. :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
My Dh and I just finished watching "Dear Zachary" tonight. It is well worth watching! Thanks for the tips in this thread. I now have a new list of things to watch.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
If you like cooking for any Food Network shows, watch "Chef's Table" on Netflix.

I found them all amazingly fascinating for totally different reasons.
Except episode 2 "Dan Barber" I found him boring and Arrogant. Worst combo in terms of my watching preferences.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1433794010|3886637 said:

But how can you possibly like it better when Holder is not in it? ::) (am I the only one who thought he was the sexiest thing ever?)
Haha, he was certainly not my favourite. Though this one has Idris Elba in it, and he is not hideous...

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1433864027|3886916 said:
If you like cooking for any Food Network shows, watch "Chef's Table" on Netflix.

I found them all amazingly fascinating for totally different reasons.
Except episode 2 "Dan Barber" I found him boring and Arrogant. Worst combo in terms of my watching preferences.
I watched the first episode and loved it! So interesting. There's also another show (similar to this) about a sushi master you might like. Jiro Dreams of Sushi. If I ever goto Japan I am saving my pennies and eating at his/son's restaurant.
eta - its also on netflix.
eta2 - theyre made by the same director, i guess thats why I found them so similar!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bloodline was great! Can't wait for the second season. So was Grace and Frankie.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1433864094|3886917 said:
missy|1433809332|3886749 said:
Sherlock is now on our list, thanks iLander.

We just started watching a new original Netflix series and so far we are enjoying it.
Sense8
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/80025744?trkid=13462047

I watched the first episode of Sense8. So far so good.
Although I felt I needed to watch it again to get all the characters straight lol.

I had the same problem but once you are more than an episode or 2 in you will have no problem remembering the backstory on each person and who's who. We are up to episode 9 now and I am still enjoying the show. I think it is a good show for anyone who has issues (me!) concentrating or ADD LOL because it moves fast and there is a lot happening and many characters so I find it always entertaining and attention worthy. In fact I have not been browsing the internet at all so far while we are watching this show which is unusual for me since I usually have trouble concentrating on just one thing.

I know this is a Netflix thread but has anyone started watching the series Transparent on Amazon? We watched one episode a few weeks back and it seems promising and just wondering if anyone has started watching it.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
We watched the first 2 episodes of Sense8 last night . I think I like it a bit more than my husband. We will continue to watch the series. I also found it confusing at first.

Missy we watched the whole first season of Transparent and loved it!!! The actor Jeffery Tembor does a fantastic job of playing the dad!
I highly recommend this show!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1433878217|3887016 said:
CJ2008|1433794010|3886637 said:

Haha, he was certainly not my favourite. Though this one has Idris Elba in it, and he is not hideous...

I had to look him up...same guy from Luther...and yeah, definitely far, far away from hideous... ::)

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my favorite movies of all time is on Netflix right now. It is an Australian Film called The Castle. The humor is funny/sweet/corny which adds to its charm. It is a very heartwarming movie, definitely worth watching.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Put DH and me down for Sense8 too! I was also unsure after watching episode 1 but was hooked for ep 2-12. I can't wait for Season 2!!

I like comedies too and really enjoyed "Grace and Frankie." I highly recommend it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bbziggy|1433937638|3887250 said:
We watched the first 2 episodes of Sense8 last night . I think I like it a bit more than my husband. We will continue to watch the series. I also found it confusing at first.

Missy we watched the whole first season of Transparent and loved it!!! The actor Jeffery Tembor does a fantastic job of playing the dad!
I highly recommend this show!

Thanks bbziggy for your rec and I am looking forward to watching this series in its entirety.

Btw the show Big Brother (you probably don't watch it) has its first transgender contestant.

My dh and I watched "Little White Lie" and found it very interesting.
We also saw "Nightcrawler" and enjoyed it.
Looking forward to the second season of Sense8.

And you can get "Lilya 4-ever" on Netflix DVD (not streaming) and if you like tragic and unforgettable stories I highly recommend this movie.
http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Lilya-4-Ever/60027586

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
lyra|1433803902|3886700 said:
I second "Bloodline". I hope they have renewed it. I also loved "Wentworth". It's about a women's prison in Australia. Far better but much more graphic violence than "Orange is the New Black".

We tried watching Wentworth but I had to stop watching halfway through. It was way too graphic for me. My husband wants to watch Bloodline, but I told him to watch it without me.

We watched the pilot episode of Grace and Frankie because we love everyone in it, but we didn't love it. I can't pinpoint what we didn't like about it.

True Detective and Graceland just began new seasons. :appl:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Killing was one of, if not the best television show I ever watched.. actors were great, story very interesting. Wish it were still on.

quote="CJ2008|1433794010|3886637"]

But how can you possibly like it better when Holder is not in it? ::) (am I the only one who thought he was the sexiest thing ever?)[/quote]

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watching The Fall, and really liking it...Gillian Anderson looks better now than when she was young. So nice to see.

My mother and aunt also watched The Fall on my recommendation and really liked it also (they already finished all the episodes!)

On the other hand, my aunt got mad at me for telling her to watch Dear Zachary - she said it really affected her, and had she known the story line she would not have watched it.

Tekate - are you with me on Holder being sexy? Looks like you tried to quote me but something went wrong.

Paz

Rough_Rock
LaBellaVita|1421934557|3820325 said:
If you like documentaries I HIGHLY recommend watching Virunga (a Netflix original). It was intense, moving, educational --- the list goes on.

Here is the blurb from IMDB:

A group of brave individuals risk their lives to save the last of the world's mountain gorillas; in the midst of renewed civil war and a scramble for Congo's natural resources.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3455224/

This. :appl:

I recently watched this on Netflix and loved it! For tbose who aren't obsessed with documentaries like I am, it is such an amazing story that you forget that it's a doc. Seriously worth watching.

A fun movie I discovered was Take Care. It's about a girl who is injured in a car accident who makes her millionaire ex-boyfriend take care of her. It's funny and lighthearted, a cute chick flick. :rodent:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1435670824|3896750 said:
Has anyone watched Ascension yet?
http://www.netflix.com/browse/my-list?jbv=80029820&jbp=0&jbr=0

We just watched one episode last night and it seems promising. Just wondering if anyone else has watched it and what they think.

We watched and thought it was entertaining. I wouldn't rave about it but if you have a lazy day you can watch them all. If I remember, there are not that many episodes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results